• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
The funny thing is that Gaben didnt want Steam to become the new appstore with shitty games on it.

I just dont understand how a billion dollar company cant employ one, just one person going through these greenlit games and reject the trash. I am not saying that "anime"-games or visual novels should be rejected or Daedalic games before Greenlight...

I am talking about shit like that:

http://greendb.net/filedetails.php?id=686764473
http://greendb.net/filedetails.php?id=589937677
http://greendb.net/filedetails.php?id=469900492
http://greendb.net/filedetails.php?id=200230920

Besides Digital Homocide games, Asset swaps etc.
Nah, those should get in as well. Fuck having someone decide what you can or can't buy on Steam.

Really? The talk he gave a few years back suggests the opposite. He sees Valve moving further away from the curation process and from Steam, having it essentially become a bunch of network api / tools for others. He even identifies wanting to move away from Greenlight for a more open door system, knowing that there are issues with content / malware / copyright etc in doing so.

Some business school talk he did - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QEOBgLBQU

I know about that. Even before that when he was defending the curation process he said he wouldnt want the store to become a new app store where every shitty app could be uploaded.

Nah, those should get in as well. Fuck having someone decide what you can or can't buy on Steam.

I think my complaint/fear is that Steam will be full of shovelware. I really loved the rumor about the two storefronts. One normal storefront, another one where all games are, but only the ones popular enough would be moved to the "normal" one.

Regginator

idk, i live in a country that really really likes soccer and even here it's like not that many people watch it

so you're from australia then?

from what i know the us, canada and australia are the biggest countries that call it soccer, and from what i understand both the us and canada don't consider soccer/football to be the most supported sport (american fooball/rugby and ice hockey respectively)

and i think rugby is more popular than football in australia as well

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I know about that. Even before that when he was defending the curation process he said he wouldnt want the store to become a new app store where every shitty app could be uploaded.

I think my complaint/fear is that Steam will be full of shovelware. I really loved the rumor about the two storefronts. One normal storefront, another one where all games are, but only the ones popular enough would be moved to the "normal" one.

If it means anything, I do think there will be some quality control, and in some ways there's signs Valve is doing this, though it's currently based on the popularity of new releases on release day/the day after. I do think Valve has been thinking long and hard about this, though. I expect it will eventually go to Open Market, but I also think it's not going to let EVERYTHING through, but it is to be seen.

I'm also curious how they'll handle the software/film firms on Valve, and how they may split their storefront, though.

Eila

from what i know the us, canada and australia are the biggest countries that call it soccer, and from what i understand both the us and canada don't consider soccer/football to be the most supported sport (american fooball/rugby and ice hockey respectively)

Pretty sure he's from Argentina and I would say the final is highly watched all over Latin America.
I know I'm watching it, lol. It's on public TV.

Lomax

Microsoft Windows store summer sale is going to force Valve to take notice and shape up!
My desire for a deal on Killer Instinct is making me delusional.

Finished NEDM 2016, took around 8 hours. What a great campaign and still tons of secrets to find too!

If I could add one thing, it would be an overlay map so I wouldn't have to TAB into a menu constantly.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think there are basically two groups of people who use Steam:

- Normal people who own a few dozen, maybe a hundred, games total. For these people, there being a ton of crap on Steam is kinda irrelevant. The discovery tools are good enough not to recommend utter slop, and most of them aren't using the discovery tools much anyway. There's little evidence that you can't launch a break-out hit that reaches this audience today. So the actual total number of games on Steam is not super relevant.

- People like us who go through the discovery queue all the time, check new releases, try to collect thousands of games, buy tons of z-tier bundles, look for "hidden gems" by browsing huge swaths of the catalogue every sale, use Enhanced Steam, etc. For people like us, there probably is a palpable negative to allowing absolute and utter garbage to release on Steam because it impacts the experience we like of exhaustively going through Steam. I find it pretty mind-numbing that when I check my discovery queue I have to work through dozens or hundreds of games that I'd never even be in the ballpark of considering. On the other hand, it's because I've cleared the entire discovery queue and I subject myself to this.

I think you could fix the issues for the latter group by allowing them more control, for example:
- Mark all games by this developer "not interested"
- Mark all games with the following tags "not interested"
- Mark all games with user reviews under <x> "not interested"
- Mark all software/videos "not interested"
- Do not show be reviews from <x reviewer> (or just make it so that ignoring someone actually ignores them)
- Permanently hide this game and never show it to me ever again even if I search for it
-
I don't have VR hardware and don't want VR hardware and I'm honestly telling you the truth and in the mean time don't show me VR games and I promise I'll turn this option off if I ever buy VR hardware I respect you Valve and Vive sounds great but I'm not going to buy it so stop showing me everything VR related

Companies are normally pretty scared to do this. Same way Twitter lets you say "not interested" to whatever discovery crap or moments or whatever they're trying to sell you, but never lets you fully turn it off. They feel like people will opt out widespread and they'll lose the value of their features. But I actually think these kinds of features would only be used by power-users who probably actually do mostly self-directed, research-oriented browsing. So you're not actually hurting your sales, because they weren't going to buy that stuff anyway, but rather just making their browsing experience better.

Uzzy

disgusting

IM6PtlP.gif

The bad guys always win penalty shoot outs. That's why Germany is so good at them.

Knurek

Okay, I would have been so pissed if I weren't playing Ori DE.
I mean, as I understand it, the original version was a full blown metroidvania full of points of no returns and with no option to continue after last area?
What's the bloody point then?

zkylon

zkylewd

no, i just call it soccer cos it's what's commonly used around neogaf

i know a bunch of ppl that watch the champions league and i know many more than don't

it's a big deal, but only for ppl that are way into soccer and that's not everybody

You guys aren't going to believe this, someone broke into my mom's house, went down to the basement were I live, somehow logged onto my PC, and bought Overwatch Origins Edition with my credit card somehow, nothing was stolen weirdly, I honestly can't believe it. I'm going to file a police report because I feel violated. I guess I should try out this Overwatch game since I have it now...
( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Knurek

You guys aren't going to believe this, someone broke into my mom's house, went down to the basement were I live, somehow logged onto my PC, and bought Overwatch Origins Edition with my credit card somehow, nothing was stolen weirdly, I honestly can't believe it. I'm going to file a police report because I feel violated. I guess I should try out this Overwatch game since I have it now...
( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

idontbelieveyou.gif

Ozium

The funny thing is that Gaben didnt want Steam to become the new appstore with shitty games on it.

I just dont understand how a billion dollar company cant employ one, just one person going through these greenlit games and reject the trash. I am not saying that "anime"-games or visual novels should be rejected or Daedalic games before Greenlight...

I am talking about shit like that:

http://greendb.net/filedetails.php?id=686764473
http://greendb.net/filedetails.php?id=589937677
http://greendb.net/filedetails.php?id=469900492
http://greendb.net/filedetails.php?id=200230920

Besides Digital Homocide games, Asset swaps etc.

iGrow looks dank af

will buy

Volimar

To be fair, death threats on twitter are incredibly common. I think a lot of these awful people just use it as a greeting.

"Hey Dan, how's it going?"

"Great, if I see you again I'll fucking kill you."

"Okay, well say hi to your parents for me."

To be fair, death threats on twitter are incredibly common. I think a lot of these awful people just use it as a greeting.

"Hey Dan, how's it going?"

"Great, if I see you gain I'll fucking kill you."

"Okay, well say hi to your parents for me."

Gain what? Weight? If so, that's actually not that bad.

Lain

I think we've finally reached the point where Greenlight is largely irrelevant.

407 games were "greenlit" today.

I can't say I've heard of any of these.

We have posted about some of those greenlight games in this thread.
To name just two, Ruin of the Reckless and Demoniaca.

I don't feel like going through the whole list to check which ones I simply voted on and which I (or D3RANG3D or someone else) also posted on here (did we post about Carpe Diem Reboot? or The Unfortunate Adventures of Rox Willful?), but just looking at my activity list I have some of the ones I followed showing up with posts about getting greenlit, so I'd say that it's more a question of willful ignorance. You can't know any of those games if you don't go and look for them in the shit-pile that is greenlight (and I don't blame anyone for not going in there, there is a lot of crap).

zkylon

zkylewd
ok gta 5 is not so bad

mashing a to run is still stupid and the controller bindings are kind of awful, but i'm warming up to it

glad to see the fake internet is still around and that you can still interact with atms, even if you can't buy hotdogs on stands anymore.

the writing is so far super cringey and these early missions are pretty boring but i play it for the era snapshot and that feels pretty ok

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think you could fix the issues for the latter group by allowing them more control, for example:
- Mark all games by this developer "not interested"
- Mark all games with the following tags "not interested"
- Mark all games with user reviews under <x> "not interested"
- Mark all software/videos "not interested"

I think I can do this using Enhanced Steam, I'll have to run some tests. I believe the XHR request for adding a game to your "Not Interested" list only accepts one argument, so pressing "Mark all games by this developer as not interested" for something like SEGA would result in hundreds of AJAX requests.

There also wouldn't really be a way to reverse the process, without going into the store pages manually, unless I built another function to remove all of a publisher/developer's games from the not interested list.

redlacs

I think Betrayer may now hold the title for "most bundled."

its definitely up there with Data Hacker, Lucius, Memories of a Vagabond, Volt or Elements: Souls of fire, but i cant shake off the feeling that the title would belong to Vanguard Princess

Jawmuncher

ok gta 5 is not so bad

mashing a to run is still stupid and the controller bindings are kind of awful, but i'm warming up to it

glad to see the fake internet is still around and that you can still interact with atms, even if you can't buy hotdogs on stands anymore.

the writing is so far super cringey and these early missions are pretty boring but i play it for the era snapshot and that feels pretty ok

It made up ten fold for the disappointment that was GTA4 for me. Ended up really enjoying GTAV. Though it does start a little slow.

Ori Definitive Edition is showing as full price now instead of the reduced price for previous owners that was supposed to be permanent...dev on Steam said they are looking into it so just a heads up

Phawx

And the thing is...it's actually not that bad a game, either. It's kinda tough, but what I played of it seemed fine to me.

Yea, it's an okay game. The one thing I found weird was they added an option to remove the filter of the game. But the original selling point of the game was it's style.

My memory is hazy on it so don't quote me.

Pakkidis

And the thing is...it's actually not that bad a game, either. It's kinda tough, but what I played of it seemed fine to me.

Its average at best. Granted I played it a long time ago so maybe they improved upon some things. It is however much better than most games that are bundled.

anyone else here watching the champions league? or is steamgaf predominantly american?
Yeah I watched it. Much better than the last time 2014. Atletico got a lot better. Both played well and deserved it, so it's not that unfair that it was decided in penalties. Was pretty shocked how many players took slow shots though and still none was saved, haha.

Played 30 minutes of Shrouded in Sanity. It wears it's Souls, well more Bloodborne, on it's sleeve, proudly in fact, however, even though the mechanics of the combat is very Bloodborne, it has closer to a Castlevania motif too it. There is shortcuts that I noticed so far like a Souls game as well. Combat is a little odd to get used to but, that comes with the territory, might be because it's a 2D game rather than 3D game, as well.

Only real gripe, that I didn't know was that playing with a keyboard is just that. Playing with a keyboard. There is no mouse controls which surprised me. Granted, after taking some time with the controls I see it has no use for a mouse. It's just been a long time since I played something that was a pure keyboard game. There is controller support and it's shown as the first one when you pause the game so maybe down the line I switch to one of my controllers, since that might be the way to go. Seems fine so far though.

Yeah I'll keep chipping away at this, it's got style to it although it feels a bit rough at spots, so far anyway but, it seems cool.

PS: Rolling in this game feels so good.
Nice. Sounds good. Thanks for head-lighting this. Wasn't much aware of it.

VIDEOGAMES
There are weird trolls out there.

Yea, it's an okay game. The one thing I found weird was they added an option to remove the filter of the game. But the original selling point of the game was it's style.

You're correct. The default setting is b/w with red, but you can set it to full colour, or even use a slider to make it muted colour if you want a little of column A and a little of column B.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think I can do this using Enhanced Steam, I'll have to run some tests. I believe the XHR request for adding a game to your "Not Interested" list only accepts one argument, so pressing "Mark all games by this developer as not interested" for something like SEGA would result in hundreds of AJAX requests.

There also wouldn't really be a way to reverse the process, without going into the store pages manually, unless I built another function to remove all of a publisher/developer's games from the not interested list.

I think the thing is that you'd also want it to be forward-looking i.e. if Waifusoft releases "I Haven't Left My Bedroom In 5 Weeks Because I Love 4chan Too Much", and I say "No, I am confident I never want to see anything from this company from now until the end of time", and then they release 6 more games next week, I want it to be able to skip those as well. I think that's tougher to do by hacking it on your end. You could keep a cache of vote no scenarios and if the store page ever loaded sans-vote, it could vote no and say next, or whatever, but it's hard to tell what a user intends in that case so it's not ideal.

They did; it also doubled a colour blind filter. E.g Giant Bomb did a Quick Look and one of the staff is red colour blind, so the game's style was... rather lost on him.

Teeth

My most requested feature of the Discovery Queue would be to able to filter it by genre or tag. I don't need the games to be marked as "Not Interested", because there is the possibility that someday in the future I might want a game from a certain genre, and in that case, I will have found out about it from some other source (GAF, podcast, media site) and will directly seek it out again.

But I know from my own tastes that I will likely never buy a Visual Novel, MMO, Point & Click game, or RPGMaker game, so I don't want to have to click through 8 of them on my queue to see something I might actually want. But I also don't want those games obliterated from my storefront, because I will probably buy, say, Dangonronpa sometime down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom