• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pigs' iGPU issue reminded me of Lucid's Virtu MVP/HyperFormance co-rendering technology, that didn't seem to go anywhere despite somewhat promising results. I installed the software on my PC only to remember that Intel's HD 3000 iGPU supports no more than DX10.1, which renders framerate increase pursuits rather pointless as any modern mid-range GPU or higher can run titles from a few years ago just fine.

I think we've finally reached the point where Greenlight is largely irrelevant.

407 games were "greenlit" today.

I can't say I've heard of any of these.

Imagine being a Valve employee and waking up one day to find that you have to make placeholder apps for 400+ upcoming releases.

It would be so wonderful. Like Christmas, only through the lens of childhood and not "Bah, I don't want to spend all day visiting family".

Played 30 minutes of Shrouded in Sanity. It wears it's Souls, well more Bloodborne, on it's sleeve, proudly in fact, however, even though the mechanics of the combat is very Bloodborne, it has closer to a Castlevania motif too it. There is shortcuts that I noticed so far like a Souls game as well. Combat is a little odd to get used to but, that comes with the territory, might be because it's a 2D game rather than 3D game, as well.

Only real gripe, that I didn't know was that playing with a keyboard is just that. Playing with a keyboard. There is no mouse controls which surprised me. Granted, after taking some time with the controls I see it has no use for a mouse. It's just been a long time since I played something that was a pure keyboard game. There is controller support and it's shown as the first one when you pause the game so maybe down the line I switch to one of my controllers, since that might be the way to go. Seems fine so far though.

Yeah I'll keep chipping away at this, it's got style to it although it feels a bit rough at spots, so far anyway but, it seems cool.

PS: Rolling in this game feels so good.

Popstar

I think we've finally reached the point where Greenlight is largely irrelevant.

407 games were "greenlit" today.

I can't say I've heard of any of these.
I recognize one game. (UBOOT)

When I look at lists like this one, I cannot help but to think that Steam sort of phagocytized Desura's business. At this point, the Steam store is really open to everyone.

I mean, the original intent was to crowd-source the curation of games that would be allowed on Steam. Now, it seems anything would be allowed. 407 games is over 10% of all the games ever greenlit since Greenlight's been a thing.
Valve should have just bought Desura. And then promoted anything that sold well to Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Greenlight is essentially just a filter for copyright-infringing content and other releases that would run afoul of Valve's distribution agreement. To that end, it mostly works, and it doesn't really need to be anything else.

Alright, I'm gonna try setting different than modbot.

Post what you think is the funniest Steam review in the next 3 hours - the one I like the most gets a free Steam copy of Rocket League

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Greenlight is essentially just a filter for copyright-infringing content and other releases that would run afoul of Valve's distribution agreement. To that end, it mostly works, and it doesn't really need to be anything else.

I guess it's also a way to funnel money into Child's Play, so that's probably working as intended as well.

Hektor

Alright, I'm gonna try setting different than modbot.

Post what you think is the funniest Steam review in the next 3 hours - the one I like the most gets a free Steam copy of Rocket League

HyRhE3w.png

Already own RL tho

yuraya

Any particular reason why Lost Planet 3 reviews are so bad? Kinda want to dl it and try it out but the steam/metacritic reviews are really shit. Any redeeming quality to it at all? Don't own 1 or 2 so I have no knowledge of the series in any way.

mp1990

Banned
Any particular reason why Lost Planet 3 reviews are so bad? Kinda want to dl it and try it out but the steam/metacritic reviews are really shit. Any redeeming quality to it at all? Don't own 1 or 2 so I have no knowledge of the series in any way.

I haven't played it to its entirety, but from what I've heard it ditches everything of what made LP1 and 2 interesting (well, especially the former, LP2 was kind of a drag), and tries to be a Gears of War clone, failing miserably at that. Again, I've only played it for a bit back at launch, so take this with a bit of salt.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Does it make Steam Greenlight any less of a mess?
It's also not a sign that it is a mess.

Hey, I'd gladly take the authority of policing what makes it on Steam but I imagine that'd make anime nerds cry like it's prom night.

I also wouldn't let Mighty Number 9 on.

morningbus

How so?

If all it takes is (seemingly) 444 Yes votes to get a game on Steam, how is that not making the whole system a sorry mess?

Because that's not a sign of the game's quality but whether or not it has mass appeal. An alternative that allows a mob of people keep weird little games off the service is one that's just as broken as what we have now.

Because that's not a sign of the game's quality but whether or not it has mass appeal. An alternative that allows a mob of people keep weird little games off the service is one that's just as broken as what we have now.

I've never once mentioned quality, and if we're talking about mass appeal then it's still a mess, as 75% of the people who voted said 'No' and yet it's still going to get a store front.

morningbus

I've never once mentioned quality, and if we're talking about mass appeal then it's still a mess, as 75% of the people who voted said 'No' and yet it's still going to get a store front.
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. 75% of people not being interested is a sign that it doesn't look appealing to them and nothing more. You can't always draw a clear or straight line to whether it's worthy of being on the storefront from that.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. 75% of people not being interested is a sign that it doesn't look appealing to them and nothing more. You can't always draw a clear or straight line to whether it's worthy of being on the storefront from that.

Ah, so all Steam requires is 444 people (based on this week's numbers) to be interested for a store front to be generated.

zkylon

zkylewd
so watched a couple videos, had breakfast, and finally gta 5 finished loading

then i thought, hey, i wonder if there are mods for this

so, any recommended mods? i don't really want goofy stuff or graphics stuff, just general gameplay enhancements

not sure exactly what i want, just asking if there's anything interesting

example of something really useful: mod that removes the tap to sprint thing

morningbus

Ah, so all Steam requires is 444 people (based on this week's numbers) to be interested for a store front to be generated.

Sure? Considering how little people actually voted on it either way versus the total population on Steam, there could be a ton of people interested in it.

tmarg

The best selling game on steam hasn't been purchased by 99.9%+ of the earth's population. If the percentage of people who are willing to buy a game was a relevant number, valve wouldn't sell any games.

The best selling game on steam hasn't been purchased by 99.9%+ of the earth's population. If the percentage of people who are willing to buy a game was a relevant number, valve wouldn't sell any games.

I know you're being flippant but Greenlight isn't asking the Earth's population, it's asking Steam Users. However, I'm in the minority here I guess. Carry on.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Steam Greenlight being how it is partially is a good and bad thing. I think focusing on a few titles and stating, "How did this get through!?," is a sensible and simple/sound argument, but on the flipside, I also don't think it is representative to the whole of the system.

It's obvious Steam is eventually going to become an open market. They have for a long time been implementing systems to promote bigger releases, let users dictate the 'quality' of a game, and finds ways to try and let users find games that may personally interest them. The system is still a bit rough, which is why I think we still have Greenlight and the wall, but the wall has been loosened over time. I think eventually they're just going to put in a system to check if the game has all the legal rights to be sold and doesn't step on either copyright or their service platform terms toes, and if the game can legally be sold and abide by Steam's terms of service, then it can be sold.

This is not overwhelmingly a good or bad thing. There's obvious pros and cons at work here. Firstly, this may be something of a completely new design for any sort of gaming storefront. We're given both the biggest of the big games along with the smallest of the small games, right next to each other. For every Metal Gear Solid or Grand Theft Auto 5, growing Japanese support, and recent triple AAA release, we also have fantastic indie games, darlings, overlooked gems, and enthusiasts projects, as well as crappy shoe-horn games, low quality products... And EVERYTHING in-between.

As a collector and an enthusiast of a genre, this does appeal to me. Especially since I think there's a lot of really good games that go under people's radar. Honestly a lot of hidden gems out there, and we also are living in an age where people are becoming more aware of the creators behind games. If you do shitty practices or release purposely shitty games, that will stick with you. The same is true for the opposite. We're entering an age where individual developers almost have to build a name for themselves if they want to stick out from the crowd.

And honestly? More of what releases is at least decent other than terrible. I'm not saying there isn't hundreds of terrible games on Steam, but I think there's a proportionately larger number of actually quality games already in the marketplace that forms a fiercer competition. I think the key difference to this sort of open market compared to other attempts at an open market for games is with Steam, already every major developer is on-board deep and it has a huge userbase, and there's literally a library of thousands of games already established on the marketplace. You're not going to get very far with some shitty game that no one cares for. The disadvantage is some legitimately good games get swept away with the tide, but it makes a very different 'open market' than we've seen before, that I'm curious to see how it plays out.

I think it's for the better, I think having a place literally any type of game can exist in is both fascinating and opens all sorts of methods to obtain really anything you may want. But before these floodgates are opened, I do think Valve themselves need to do as they're doing, and continue to improve their methods of discovery, visibility, browsing, and general ease of use, and ways to dictate market value for a game with user opinions.

The funny thing is that Gaben didnt want Steam to become the new appstore with shitty games on it.

I just dont understand how a billion dollar company cant employ one, just one person going through these greenlit games and reject the trash. I am not saying that "anime"-games or visual novels should be rejected or Daedalic games before Greenlight...

I am talking about shit like that:

http://greendb.net/filedetails.php?id=686764473
http://greendb.net/filedetails.php?id=589937677
http://greendb.net/filedetails.php?id=469900492
http://greendb.net/filedetails.php?id=200230920

Besides Digital Homocide games, Asset swaps etc.

Saty

The goal of Greenlight as i see it is simple: If there is a game ready to release or already released elsewhere and the developer wants to release it on Steam, then Greenlight should let through as many games as possible.

I don't think there currently is any game that's ready to release and is wallowing in Greenlight.

morningbus

The funny thing is that Gaben didnt want Steam to become the new appstore with shitty games on it.

I just dont understand how a billion dollar company cant employ one, just one person going through these greenlit games and reject the trash. I am not saying that "anime"-games or visual novels should be rejected or Daedalic games before Greenlight...

They basically used to do just that. Then people complained they were unfair to point and clicks and then pinball games.

I get your point, but the problem is specifically making it a single person's responsibility. Even in the pile of games you posted, I don't see the reason to not let one of those games up (I'll let you guys figure out which).

Nzyme32

Really? The talk he gave a few years back suggests the opposite. He sees Valve moving further away from the curation process and from Steam, having it essentially become a bunch of network api / tools for others. He even identifies wanting to move away from Greenlight for a more open door system, knowing that there are issues with content / malware / copyright etc in doing so.

Some business school talk he did - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QEOBgLBQU

D3RANG3D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (D3RANG3D, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Betrayer -- MB-9579DCDB449B7244 - Taken by PAUonePUNCH

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204898179&postcount=13405

Someone take GO! GO! Nippon! also.

:3

zkylon

zkylewd
champions league - especially a final - is watched worldwide except for the us it seems. massive in asia as well.
idk, i live in a country that really really likes soccer and even here it's like not that many people watch it

Hey kids, it's ornstein and smough!
From Berserk Vol. 15
yeah berserk is like non stop dark souls stuff

miyazaki took good things to be inspired of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom