• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
want a bit of bnet user sharing, been having 5x better games with bigger groups than going alone but need more peeps!

mine's zkylon#1248

i'm playing a stupid amount of reinhardt since i seem to do really good on him but i'll probably go back to more tracer since she's so much fun

Ludens

Banned
I have a question: years ago I had a Battle.net account with only Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 registered.
I received a mail saying my account was hacked, but I couldn't do anything about because the account was binded to an old hotmail I had no way to access anymore because it expired. Can I register the games again on a new Battle.net account? Because I have still the boxes etc.

dex3108

I have a question: years ago I had a Battle.net account with only Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 registered.
I received a mail saying my account was hacked, but I couldn't do anything about because the account was binded to an old hotmail I had no way to access anymore because it expired. Can I register the games again on a new Battle.net account? Because I have still the boxes etc.

Contact Blizzard Support.

MUnited83

For you.

I don't think you can register them on a new Battle.net account, but you might be able to get your account back if you contact support and show them your game boxes with the keys.

Ban Puncher

2zVlEZ2.jpg

Hektor

want a bit of bnet user sharing, been having 5x better games with bigger groups than going alone but need more peeps!

mine's zkylon#1248

i'm playing a stupid amount of reinhardt since i seem to do really good on him but i'll probably go back to more tracer since she's so much fun

I too play a stupid ammount of Rheinhardt cos i got the Bundeswehr skin and that's just too awesome to let it go to waste.

Well, I didn't say the efficacy of Greenlight as a filter is perfect. I said it mostly works. Also, that's not the strongest counter-example (well, more a "counter-example" since it doesn't actually counter what I said) as the game is almost 18 months old and, judging from its Steam Community forum, has undoubtedly been reported many times. I'd guess that Valve's stance on right of publicity-related matters is "It's only an issue if the person in question feels it is", and obviously people who have absolutely nothing to do with Gerard Butler cannot speak on behalf of Gerard Butler.

The game in question isn't just using a celebrity's image. The game actually uses sound clips from the movie...and I'm pretty sure that's not legal in any context.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah it's clear greenlight's goal has shifted into just outsourcing the bare minimum filter to be on steam. valve has clearly become comfortable having silly amounts of games in their platform and ppl seem to be still be somehow finding games so i guess it's not too bad

honestly there's so many improvements that could be made but valve doesn't seem interested in improving anything since all they've been doing for the past few years is abandoning new projects with little to none iteration

like, we can sit and list great ideas for valve to implement but reality is they most likely won't

it's really disappointing but that's just how valve is

I too play a stupid ammount of Rheinhardt cos i got the Bundeswehr skin and that's just too awesome to let it go to waste.
reinhardt is weird

i like him, but i mostly play him cos no one else will. same with mercy, lucio and zarya

they're fine and they're fun to play but i wish i didn't have to play them like every game

Arthea

greenlight is a mess, but mostly it is a mess because people vote for everything, literally

so it's our mess, and we shouldn't complain, no?

Also we shouldn't begrudge Ozzie his fun.

sheaaaa

I'm of the opinion that Greenlight has been a huge success based simply on the number of great games that have gotten on Steam thanks to it. I don't think people realise how many notable indies - hugely successful and regarded ones too - are only on Steam thanks to Greenlight.

While many would have probably made their way to the store in a world without Greenlight, some wouldn't have - I don't think that's debatable seeing how many developers were making noise about being rejected by Steam before Greenlight came out.

It's a tad simplistic, but I see it as without Greenlight, some great games wouldn't have made it to Steam. By that metric, Greenlight has been great. The fact that there's a lot of crap doesn't bother me - I just ignore and every game is someone's favourite.

honestly there's so many improvements that could be made but valve doesn't seem interested in improving anything since all they've been doing for the past few years is abandoning new projects with little to none iteration

I still dont understand why there are year old bugs in the client that hasnt been fixed yet or the "invisible" status that people want for years still hasnt been implemented.
I mean if I am "offline", I cant send anyone chat-messages...

I'm of the opinion that Greenlight has been a huge success based simply on the number of great games that have gotten on Steam thanks to it. I don't think people realise how many notable indies - hugely successful and regarded ones too - are only on Steam thanks to Greenlight.

While many would have probably made their way to the store in a world without Greenlight, some wouldn't have - I don't think that's debatable seeing how many developers were making noise about being rejected by Steam before Greenlight came out.

It's a tad simplistic, but I see it as without Greenlight, some great games wouldn't have made it to Steam. By that metric, Greenlight has been great. The fact that there's a lot of crap doesn't bother me - I just ignore and every game is someone's favourite.

I dont think Greenlight is bad, but I think there needs to be some kind of quality assurence before a title should be greenlit. I mean we have a fucking excel "summer sale""game" on Steam now.
The games that have been rejected before were because the employee who was in charge of that had some hidden agenda. He didnt think Visual novels are games. He thought Daedalic games wont sell (while still allowing other Point and Click adventures on Steam).
I just think there should be at least one employee checking those games if they reach a certain quality and are not just games that have been made in 1 week as a first Unity project or an asset swap.

Pixieking

Banned
wingamestore does Memorial Day sale
with 24 hour flash sales!
http://www.wingamestore.com/

some nice deals
http://www.wingamestore.com/product/5649/Hearts-of-Iron-IV-Cadet-Edition/

Hot damn, that's a great price for HoI IV (even CDkeys beats it by only 2 bucks). I wasn't going to buy it so soon, but...

Also, Stellaris (basic edition) is on offer, same price as it was just before release. The new Clarke patch is out for it in Beta form, and that should get a full release soon.

zkylon

zkylewd

yeah, i think steam could do without the shovelware but i have to agree with this

mind you i don't think it's great for valve to save themselves the cost of doing the bare minimum filtering by outsourcing it to users

that's just really cheap

I still dont understand why there are year old bugs in the client that hasnt been fixed yet or the "invisible" status that people want for years still hasnt been implemented.
I mean if I am "offline", I cant send anyone chat-messages...
valve gotta valve

it doesn't really make sense, they're really dumb about this stuff and there's no two ways about it

Arthea

Any place to buy Blood&Wine that is cheaper than gog?
Got HoS on Nuuvem but that stopped being an option...

not really, no
I checked just couple of days back
I didn't know that Nuuvem sold it, so I haven't checked there btw

It makes sense when you think about it, I mean gog being the best option.

Hot damn, that's a great price for HoI IV (even CDkeys beats it by only 2 bucks). I wasn't going to buy it so soon, but...

Also, Stellaris (basic edition) is on offer, same price as it was just before release. The new Clarke patch is out for it in Beta form, and that should get a full release soon.

I'm disappointed they included Stellaris to flash deals with the same discount it had before... that's mean

Battleborn is already 40% off on Steam?? I expected it to go down in price early but not this early

it's 40% off pretty much everywhere now, well not everywhere but yeah

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The game in question isn't just using a celebrity's image. The game actually uses sound clips from the movie...and I'm pretty sure that's not legal in any context.

Ah, right. Well, the opening portion of the post stands all the same.

You can always travel back in time, when they offered the season pack for about 16$ and had no Paypal block.
passj5snq.png

CDP finally cracked down on cross-region purchasing?

That reminds me, isn't "Youtube" copyrighted? I don't know how a game called "Youtubers life" is allowed if that's the case.

Some nice stuff there! Tempted to get Stellaris for £20 despite never really playing anything much that like, other than Civ.

JaseC

That reminds me, isn't "Youtube" copyrighted? I don't know how a game called "Youtubers life" is allowed if that's the case.

It's trademarked, yes, but there's the exceedingly vague possibility that the devs sought permission. The same could be true of (Not) 300: The Video Game. (But probably not, in both cases, owing to the lack of legal info on the store pages.) At the end of the day, the use of trademarked/copyrighted entities/content is only a problem if the trademark/copyright holder deems it inappropriate (Black Mesa is a third-party remake of a Valve game being sold as commercial product because Valve allowed it, for example), although it goes without saying that attempting to fly under the radar is very much the wrong way to go about things.

Anteater

kind of enjoying riddick, I think I'll play this rather than Fear, I like the AIs in Fear but all the same looking offices and warehouses are depressing me for some reason.

JaseC

Sort of, they give you a voucher with the difference between your price and the $ one on GOG.

Ah, yeah, I'm aware of that. The post I quoted suggests there's now a country check when using PayPal a la Nuuvem (some titles can't be purchased unless the PayPal account is tied to a South American payment method).

rtcn63

Wasteland 2 does a bad job at explaining some of the game mechanics, or maybe I'm just bad at it.

Assault rifles. Give everyone assault rifles. Melee/fists works as a viable secondary, sniping is also recommended. Most skills like lockpicking etc. can be found (and upgraded) on recruitable characters.

Javier23

Banned
Wasteland 2 does a bad job at explaining some of the game mechanics, or maybe I'm just bad at it.
Also my sniper always misses the shots .__.
Indeed it does. I played in on Ranger, which basically requires you to know all the mechanics in order to use them to your advantage when needed. At some point I just had to google on hints on how to beat certain encounters, which turned out to be pretty easy once I discovered that I was not using certain vital mechanics I had no idea even existed (say, being use to use certain skills on combat or the effects of different types of weapons on different types of armor). Most of them were also just stuff that was added with the director's cut (such as the status effects caused by precision strikes).

I experimented a bit, and when lowering the difficulty to Seasoned every encounter I had trouble with became much easier to the point where I could beat them all on my first attempt without any need to change my general approach. For the record, I did still play through the whole thing on Ranger ;P

There's also the issue with the weapon types. Half of them end up being useless in comparison to some of the others, and it's not even intuitive. For instance,
shotguns
are not very useful even
in close
range.

All in all, it's still a solid RPG. Although I found it to be a bit too combat heavy, and the narrative, world and characters didn't really grab me. It's still okay, I appreciate the fact that you're not saving the world as usual and that it is exactly what it set out to be, a game about desert rangers solving problems around the wasteland and a worthy sequel to the original Wasteland. Looking forward to Torment.

Assault rifles. Give everyone assault rifles. Melee/fists works as a viable secondary, sniping is also recommended. Most skills like lockpicking etc. can be found (and upgraded) on recruitable characters.
Sniping is REALLY useful too. It may even allow you to finish some encounters before the enemy gets to take a shot at you.

Annubis

I dropped Wasteland 2 when I realized there was no story and no world building.
The UI is junk. The controls are bad.
That and it's terribly optimized so everything feels slow.

Bluth54

I just finished playing Wasteland 2 DC last week. It was a fun game but it did have a lot of problems, I do hope we see Wasteland 3 with better mechanics though.
Another thing I thought was really dumb was the way energy weapons do more damage the better your armor is, at the end of the game it was better just to have my characters take off their armor when facing enemies with energy weapons because you take way less damage without armor. You would loose nearly all of your HP with armor on but only a tiny amount with armor off.

Corpekata

Banned
I dropped Wasteland 2 when I realized there was no story and no world building.
The UI is junk. The controls are bad.
That and it's terribly optimized so everything feels slow.

Totally disagree with the first part. It's a bit slow to dole it out but it's arguably one of the best of the recent CRPGs when it comes to quest and world design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom