• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
*makes joke about selling my 980*

Meanwhile, in BST, from a junior
"WTS 2x MSI GTX 980Ti Golden Edition - $300 each"

the hell did I just read o_O

Phawx

Will read up on independent reviews on the 1070 once they hit, to see how much difference it makes in the real world. Still, not very keen on reselling. Maybe next card series or even after that depending how long 970 can carry me.

I don't think the money delta will be a good value to upgrade to a 1070

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im fine with my 970s im running shit maxed and nothing thats coming out anytime aoon that I want will change that.

Not that I could afford a new card right now anyway, maybe come Xmas time

kagamin

Golf with Friends has potential to be a great game, it plays pretty well right now can't wait to see it when it has the full amount of content.

derExperte

Having more sense than money is one thing but then why sell it now when the new cards are still weeks away (and will be hard to get because yields are supposedly baaad, buying a 970 was already a fight for the first few months)? That's one of those deals where someone gets stabbed in an alley.

Once the new cards are available for sale, the resale price of old cards will only get worse.

The price was literally a 2 for 1 deal, their value won't collapse below that.

Soulflarz

Banned
Having more sense than money is one thing but then why sell it now when the new cards are still weeks away (and will be hard to get because yields are supposedly baaad, getting a 970 was already a fight for the first few months)? That's one of those deals where someone gets stabbed in alley.

Honestly, theres that to it. I would have added buyer protection and paid the ~$20 fee, it's from a junior :x

Grief.exe

Having more sense than money is one thing but then why sell it now when the new cards are still weeks away (and will be hard to get because yields are supposedly baaad, buying a 970 was already a fight for the first few months)? That's one of those deals where someone gets stabbed in an alley.

Maybe he has 3 980 tis

I-am-rich-floyd-mayweather-throwing-money.gif

I'm just glad this means I can get a 970 for even cheaper soon

Yup. I wonder what they'l get to.

Oh, woof. My Intel graphics can't run Ronin at playable levels. Now I find dropping to windowed and no AA it plays perfectly. It'll be a hard wait if I'm stuck with this for long.

Phawx

Hokey smokes folks. People are drinking in the nVidia kool-aid.

Disclaimer: I dislike nVidia for their bogus marketing nonsense and their underhanded gameworks and proprietary shenanigans. Having said that, they do make good hardware and their drivers are fantastic.

I hope gsync burns.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*Adds derexperte on bnet, is ignored

I didnt want to heal you anyway!

Hokey smokes folks. People are drinking in the nVidia kool-aid.

Disclaimer: I dislike nVidia for their bogus marketing nonsense and their underhanded gameworks and proprietary shenanigans. Having said that, they do make good hardware and their drivers are fantastic.

I hope gsync burns.

not really a fan of theirs either...I want to see actual numbers first on the 1070 and also want to see AMD's next cards + pricing/actual performance numbers

I think right now it's just the usual hype people get caught up in when something new gets announced and all you have to go by more or less is PR jargon

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Phawx

goodness gravy I want HBM2. Waiting until 2017 is going to be slow going.

not really a fan of theirs either...I want to see actual numbers first on the 1070 and also want to see AMD's next cards + pricing/actual performance numbers

I think right now it's just the usual hype people get caught up in when something new gets announced and all you have to go by more or less is PR jargon

I already talked with the GPU guy at AMD. Polaris is going to be a 1080like. 30% Better perf than a 390. Vega10 in 2017 is what I'm waiting for.

fallout

For those who aren't following the stream:

The 1070 price is pretty tempting, but at this point I think I'll just go for the latter.
It kinda looks like a cylon.

Yeah, I made a thread for them a little while back: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802521

I don't always agree, but they usually have pretty good discussions.
I dunno. I was really turned off by their Firewatch discussion. There's plenty to discuss and criticize there, but the whole "not a game" thing is really banal.

Lomax

1070 isn't going to be what 970 was. For one, the 970 was a huge leap over the previous cards in that price range, which was a lower range anyway (base price on the 970 was $300 even if most cards sold for more than that). For another, the vast majority of people who upgraded to a 970 aren't the type of people to do an upgrade in this short amount of time, especially people like me who only got it six months ago (I paid $258 if you were wondering). What will be interesting to see is if the 1070 just replaces the 970 on the market, or if the 970 drops down to be even more of a budget card ($200 range). If they are similar prices, the obvious thing for new buyers is the 1070. But a $200 970 vs a $400 1070 isn't as simple of a choice.

Currently on the steam hardware survey, the 970 is the most common video card, even more than the individual integrated options, at 4.91%. The 980 is at 0.99% and the 980ti is at 0.91%.

Rhaknar

Wait what... I thought you had some sort of toaster if you even had a computer at all. Why the fuck are you paying $60 for Overwatch on console if you have a computer with a 980? :eek:

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I dunno. I was really turned off by their Firewatch discussion. There's plenty to discuss and criticize there, but the whole "not a game" thing is really banal.
I think that was the first "walking simulator" game they talked about though, so yeah, they had to get a bit of the standard criticisms for the genre out of the way with it.

Probably helps that I agree with their review for the most part.

Soulflarz

Banned
Wait what... I thought you had some sort of toaster if you even had a computer at all. Why the fuck are you paying $60 for Overwatch on console if you have a computer with a 980? :eek:

I play on console more. Sue me. Graphics aren't that important.
Want to hurt? I only own BF4 on console.

Maybe his friends play on console only?

Yessir! My online friends are mixed, but my irl friends are all ps4. We all agreed on a gen in my friend group this time so we weren't half ps3/360 :p

No friend of mine is worth $20 :(

$8, GCU
Totally worth it :3

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fight ! Like ! Hell !? -- MB-B6D309CE0907CE64 - Taken by neonglow. 3 entrants total.

t1462607855z1.png

*debates buying a 1080 for my lab video editing machine that currently has a 970 with research funds, but then "accidentally" installing the 1080 on my home machine and putting one of the 980s that's in my home machine into the lab machine instead*

I mean, this is the same place where when I said I needed a new home machine, they said I could get anything I wanted as long as it was a Dell, so I built a god-mode Area 51 desktop and they didn't blink twice. So they probably wouldn't even care if I even *told* them I was doing the card swap.

Hmm......

Volimar

I keep trying to win a graphics card off the alienware stream to get me the motivation to actually build my own PC. Though, given my current finances it'd be one PC part a month and by the time I'd be finished it'd be completely outdated. Still... GIMME A CARD ALIENWARE!!!

Teggy

Well I wanted a 1080ti but I'm not willing to wait that long. I'd like to get off SLI, at least for a while.

In dumb news I played some more Demon's Souls and wasted a ton more time in crazy little rickety bridge fall to your death crappy camera land. I think I will try the next world and come back to this one later. If I don't do better that might end the Souls experiment.

Rhaknar

Well I wanted a 1080ti but I'm not willing to wait that long. I'd like to get off SLI, at least for a while.

In dumb news I played some more Demon's Souls and wasted a ton more time in crazy little rickety bridge fall to your death crappy camera land. I think I will try the next world and come back to this one later. If I don't do better that might end the Souls experiment.

Why did you start your experiment with the worst one then? :/

Sajjaja

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sajjaja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rise of the Triad -- MB-BF64B36DF2500848 - Taken by Neospartan
Just clearing out some stuff.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Outdrive -- MB-4ECB4572A8AA6F5E - Taken by NingenJanai
this looks cool but it isn't very cool to play

Bluth54

Overwatch is fun but it's no TF2.. the only similarities are in the modes IMO. the Hero system is different from classes w/ subdivisions like in TF2.

Some of the heroes seem OP tho.

I also don't think it is as skill-based as TF2, it seems there is auto aim or something? not sure, but there's no ammo and you seem more limited in your movement than what you can pull of in TF2..

The skill in playing Overwatch seems more about reading the situation and using the right heroes/right strategy, less of a focus on pure skill IMO

it's fun

Yeah as someone who has over 1700 hours in TF2 I agree. The game modes are very similar, and there are some heroes that are similar to some TF2 classes but other things are very different.

I do agree the skill ceiling seems lower. Engineer requires metal management to build sentries but in over watch you just press a button once the cooldown finishes. It seems like the advanced movement in Overwatch is also just pressing a button, unlike rocket/sticky jumping. I'm guessing at least part of the reason for that is because it's on consoles and doing rocket jumping would be pretty difficult to do well with a controller.

I also don't love ultimate, you don't have any way to know if someone is fully charged like you can the medic so you can easily get wiped out.

There are also some abilities that are really unfun to fight against, like freezing, Flashbangs or the chain that pulls you towards the enemy. I also feel like there is a lot more visual clutter that happens on screen vs TF2 even though TF2 has double the number of players.

Even though the weapons do a decent amount of damage they don't seem to be as satisfying to fire as TF2 weapons.

Overwatch isn't a bad game by any means but not as good or as well designed as TF2. To be fair though TF2 did have about a decade of development plus another 8 years of continuous balance updates so if Blizzard updates and rebalances Overwatch I think they could get it to be as good as (but different than) TF2.

Soulflarz

Banned
hotline miami 2 really isn't doing it for me

and I beat hotline miami 1 like ~7 times

I think that's the issue- it doesn't add nearly enough to the formula.

Rhaknar

It's the first one! If it's the worst one than that's FROM's fault, not mine. And I'm quite sure from reading the internets that DS2 is the worst one.

You are reading the wrong internets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom