• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

Valve gave my my DLC bundle and I'm finishing up beta runs this weekend.

It's happening.

Quickly, GAF, what should I call the bundle:
a) Army of Tentacles: Game of the Year Edition
b) Army of Tentacles: Game of the Year, Game of All Time Edition
c) Army of Tentacles: Game of All Time Edition
d) Army of Tentacles: Steam Edition
e) Army of Tentacles: The Complete Deluxe Edition of The Epic First Game Edition

?

Army of Tentacles: The Colour out of Steam Edition

Did her butt get bigger? Incredible.

"The goggles, they do... something!"

zkylon

zkylewd
Whats your reasoning?
Mine is bad story+bad design

Like really bad design
Don't make giant open areas where the easy solution is corner hiding
Or enemies that can see as far as you can.
It makes it a corner peeking game which is unfun.
Also f so many of those levels.

AND NEVER MAKE ENEMIES THAT LIMIT YOUR TOOLS ;_; (aka must be shot/stabbed)

But yeah, what was your issue?
yeah, pretty much. very strange level design that is punishing in a very frustrating way and then a lot of work to make clear some things that were better left off unexplained

hotline miami 1 is a game i respected a lot and i feel i now like it less because having played 2, it feels like their own creators didn't know why the first game was so good and all the good things about its design and its metaphores and stuff now feel like a happy accident rather than intent

i also was very much against a sequel to that game exactly because i thought it was unnecessary and they totally proved me right

lastly i'm very much against gender violence used in a exploitative way like it is in hotline miami 2 and while i applaud their choice to add a skip button i think it's a really unfortunate and unnecessary element to have in the game

Soulflarz

Banned
Army of Tentacles /has/ to have a joke name for the goty
Cmon guys lets get creative
*too sleepy, leaves it up to you guys*

^Yep, agree on most points. Two things though:

They probably knew what made Hotline Miami great, they just realized they had to do something more with the story...and their solution was bad. Gameplay had nowhere to expand to, hence every expansion being bad. It plays worse than HL1 in so many ways.

As for the gender violence, the depiction of rape is there because they were recreating the first level of hotline miami 1. It didn't actually happen.

Anteater

i bought a steam controller

trying to set it up with bioshock 2

and this is complicated

so far it controls terribly, it might take a few hours to figure this out

Update: I guess the controller was in fucked up mode after I plugged it in, turning it off and on again and it controls a lot better

Update 2: I guess the controller was in fucked up Gyro mode even turning it off and on and calibrating it, rebooting fixed the rest of the issues, so this is how it should control...

zkylon

zkylewd

They probably knew what made Hotline Miami great, they just realized they had to do something more with the story...and their solution was bad. Gameplay had nowhere to expand to, hence every expansion being bad. It plays worse than HL1 in so many ways.
we can't know either way, but it's so critically different in both story and gameplay that it felt that way to me

As for the gender violence, the depiction of rape is there because they were recreating the first level of hotline miami 1. It didn't actually happen.
i don't get what you mean, you're talking about the level you find the girl in? that's not the first level i guess

it doesn't matter much tho, gender violence was a problem in hm1 too, and "it didn't actually happen" or "it was all a movie scene" only makes it worse

what's the point of it there?

developers don't do rape for shock value in games plsss

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If you were waiting for ModBot to send you a PM in the last few minutes, it may have gotten lost in the void. I was changing my backup script and may have accidentally nuked ModBot's outgoing PMs. Sorry! If you won something you can do a MY LOOT to get the key, if you were giving something away you can just re-submit the giveaway to regenerate it.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Overwatch seems like more of a "target the cosplayers and Blizzard fans" with an older school of mechanics which just doesn't meld.

The pandering is really heavy handed.

zkylon

zkylewd
Overwatch seems like more of a "target the cosplayers and Blizzard fans" with an older school of mechanics which just doesn't meld.

The pandering is really heavy handed.
whats u mean

i mean, i don't really fall onto any of those categories, i just love the designs and i love how the game plays

cyba89

Infinifactory is pretty neat.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Haunted

So now that these new high-end/premium cards have been announced by nvidia, they'll greatly reduce the price of the previous line of cards, right?

right?

:(

zkylon

zkylewd
You don't go to that blizzcon crowd and sell an unreal game.
i don't get it

how doesn't it meld

why is it pandering

why is it only attractive to blizz fans and cosplayers

none of what you're saying makes sense for me :T

So now that these new high-end/premium cards have been announced by nvidia, they'll greatly reduce the price of the previous high-end (now mid-range) cards, right?

right?

i wouldn't get my hopes up

Infinifactory is pretty neat.
i really have my eyes set on that game for when it's a bit cheaper

Army of tentacles: Milamber edition

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
i don't get it

how doesn't it meld

why is it pandering

why is it only attractive to blizz fans and cosplayers

none of what you're saying makes sense for me :T
Blizzard commands the crowd of nerdy enough to cosplay but not nerdy enough to be captivated by team or squad based multiplayer. They're most likely wow, hearthstone or lol fans, and some borderlands.

It just seems more of a monetary value than what it originally came from which was Stsrcraft Ghosts.

How much is my 780ti worth now?
5 dollars

Overwatch is not even close to as complicated as LoL is, Fish pls

I thought Overwatch was pretty casual when I first played it. You only get a couple of skills and an ult and that's it. Everything is pretty simple aside from maybe choosing which character is the best for certain situations.

derExperte

*Adds derexperte on bnet, is ignored

I didnt want to heal you anyway!

Blame the asinine account/region system.

Wait, you want to be my friend and then diss Demon's Souls, the only Souls that isn't for casual hipsters? Good luck with that.

No friend of mine is worth $20 :(

So now that these new high-end/premium cards have been announced by nvidia, they'll greatly reduce the price of the previous line of cards, right?

right?

970/980 chips aren't produced anymore and the new cards cost more.

Ban Puncher

Inkredible Edition

Kraken (K)ombo

Legend of the Squiddyfiend

zkylon

zkylewd
Blizzard commands the crowd of nerdy enough to cosplay but not nerdy enough to be captivated by team or squad based multiplayer. They're most likely wow, hearthstone or lol fans, and some borderlands.

It just seems more of a monetary value than what it originally came from which was Stsrcraft Ghosts.
sounds to me like you've got some preconceptions about the game

it's a fun game with a fun artstyle that a lot of people find appealing

i'm sure there's a % that plays it cos it's a blizz game and that's probably a big percentage, even, but honestly i have no idea what you're talking about, what's "nerdy enough" have to do with team based multiplayer? what the hell does boredlands of all games have to do with this game? monetary value?

i'm puzzled why this is what you have to say if you played the game, specially cos it's kind of insulting to ppl that like it

sounds to me like you've got some preconceptions about the game

it's a fun game with a fun artstyle that a lot of people find appealing

i'm sure there's a % that plays it cos it's a blizz game and that's probably a big percentage, even, but honestly i have no idea what you're talking about, what's "nerdy enough" have to do with team based multiplayer? what the hell does boredlands of all games have to do with this game? monetary value?

i'm puzzled why this is what you have to say if you played the game, specially cos it's kind of insulting to ppl that like it

Calma. Fish is just salty Overwatch is taking a chunk of TF2's market share, which is understandable.

Uzzy

Paradox, why would you release Stellaris on a Monday? Don't you know that only having a bunch of playthrough videos to watch this weekend is pure torture?

zkylon

zkylewd
Calma. Fish is just salty Overwatch is taking a chunk of TF2's market share, which is understandable.
i'm asking cos i'm tired of going through this crap with league already, now i'm gonna get the same treatement for liking overwatch too?

let other people like what they like, maybe they see in it something you don't or they appreciate different things than you do, surely that's not something revolutionary i'm saying

yup, cosplay's great, i luv it

Paradox, why would you release Stellaris on a Monday? Don't you know that only having a bunch of playthrough videos to watch this weekend is pure torture?
i think i'm gonna buy it

it's $15~ on nuuvem (south america only) so it seems cheap enough for me to give it a try

i've wanted to play crusader kings for the longest time, i know this is more of a 4x thing but there's shared elements, right?

Sarcasm

Anybody else that uses Archi's SC farm program? It is nice but I don't get the notification of a card/new inventory item...

I can't really understand the point you're trying to make here man.

Anyway after playing it a bit more, I kind of wish Overwatch had a higher player count. In TF2 you had 12v12 or even 16v16 pubs and the good thing was that even if you didn't have the optimal class balance or if you were having a bad day, there were others on the team to pick up the slack. In Overwatch, there's a lot more responsibility on each individual to perform well and that doesn't work quite as well in pub games. Like I'm sure most people have had at least one game where your team had two snipers and two Tracers and it predictably went sideways.

I'd also propose locking to teams to having only one of any particular hero but I don't know if that would be entirely beneficial. I had a game last night where we had three players who picked Bastion. We were defending on Volskaya Industries and the opposing team never made it past the first choke point.

i'm asking cos i'm tired of going through this crap with league already, now i'm gonna get the same treatement for liking overwatch too?

let other people like what they like, maybe they see in it something you don't or they appreciate different things than you do, surely that's not something revolutionary i'm saying

Fish is just providing his opinion. Fair enough if you disagree with it.

I can't really understand the point you're trying to make here man.

Anyway after playing it a bit more, I kind of wish Overwatch had a higher player count. In TF2 you had 12v12 or even 16v16 pubs and the good thing was that even if you didn't have the optimal class balance or if you were having a bad day, there were others on the team to pick up the slack. In Overwatch, there's a lot more responsibility on each individual to perform well and that doesn't work quite as well in pub games. Like I'm sure most people have had at least one game where your team had two snipers and two Tracers and it predictably went sideways.

I'd also propose locking to teams to having only one of any particular hero but I don't think that would be entirely beneficial. I had a game last night where we had three players who picked Bastion. We were defending on Volskaya Industries and the opposing team never made it past the first choke point.

Yeah one particular hero for each player should be a thing. I was surprised when I found out a team could just field a gang of Bastions and camp at the enemy base.

zkylon

zkylewd

I'd also propose locking to teams to having only one of any particular hero but I don't think that would be entirely beneficial. I had a game last night where we had three players who picked Bastion. We were defending on Volskaya Industries and the opposing team never made it past the first choke point.
i think a higher player count would require for individual champions to be weaker or less impactful which would just make the game less fun

the randoms being dumbos aspect is just a part of any multiplayer game, it's hard to coordinate when ppl don't know what you want out of them and it's rare for ppl to want to communicate with strangers, specially since people online tend to not be super friendly

it's kind of on you to find a fun group, i played with friends today and we pulled this off

remember every game is more fun with friends and competitive games specially are a lot less frustrating

about the non repeating champion stuff, idk, i don't really mind it, the games are usually 5 to 10 minutes long and i haven't had situations with three reapers or two widows happen more than once or twice versus the dozens of regular games where people just picked different stuff. i don't think it's as much of an issue as it's made to be and it was fun to do the all bastion game (the enemy team had done all turret dwarves first), so i wouldn't want to miss out on that

maybe for competitive mode, idk, i'm not sure if there are bans there or something

Fish is just providing his opinion. Fair enough if you disagree with it.
i don't think that really counts as an opinion

it's not far from me saying "all dota players are losers"

that's not really an opinion, that's a fact that's just a dumb thing to say

i like fishy, but i think he's not being reasonable here :/

L.O.R.D

time to hit the lever for windows 10 upgrade
here goes nothing.

edit:i fucked up from the beginning,i forgot that i deleted windows 10 folder from the C drive.

zkylon

zkylewd
That seems more like a balance issue. Overwatch doesn't have TF2 Spy like class?
sadly while there's a lot of fun classes there's nothing quite as amazing as the spy

the spy's design really is a stroke of genius

*****.com.ru.co.uk

lmao

No, but that's not a problem.

The problem is that Bastion's has a gatling gun with a really high rate of fire which in turn does a lot of damage. I expect Blizz will nerf it soon.
i feel he needs slight nerfs but it's not that bad

my bigger issue with the game is how boring and passive the supports are, none of them feel on par with how fun the rest of the roster is to play

kurahador

No, but that's not a problem.

The problem is that Bastion's has a gatling gun with a really high rate of fire which in turn does a lot of damage. I expect Blizz will nerf it soon.

That's pretty similar to TF2's Heavy. Easy solution in TF2? Roll a Spy class or use Medic+Heavy pair to tank.

That's pretty similar to TF2's Heavy. Easy solution in TF2? Roll a Spy class or use Medic+Heavy pair to tank.

Nah. Bastion is way stronger than the Heavy.

For one, he doesn't have a movement penalty except when he's in sentry mode, and he's got a submachine gun when he's not on sentry mode. His ult turns him into a tank that can just one shot everyone.

And he can heal himself.

zkylon

zkylewd
not exactly cos bastion can't really move

bastion is frustrating to play cos he's like a really tanky engineer turret and when paired with some other champions like reinhart it's pretty difficult to deal with

but d.va or tracer ults are easy ways to get rid of him and reinhart is pretty good against him too

It's the "Steam" thread by name alone. It is defacto the general purpose PC gaming thread unless you enjoy talking to yourself in the Uplay or Origin thread. Why the need to make a fuss about it.

I've had this issue and butchered a couple reviews until they got posted. Only afterwards I learned that it is a bug on Steam's end which can be easily circumvented.
You post a one-word review, go to your reviews tab, click edit and paste the actual, lengthy review. This solved my issues every time.
Mind you, Steam reviews do have a character limit, 8000 iirc.

Accidentally I hope.

I like it more than Win 8.1 and had no issues yet. It's also free, you can now do a regular clean install with no need for upgrade-installation and it is the only OS with official DX12 support. I don't see any worthy reason against going Win10..
How do you do a clean install of Windows 10?

L.O.R.D

question about humble bundle monthly,if i payed $12 now they will give me rocket league.
but if i cancel my sub,they will give me back the $12?

AHA-Lambda

where's the cheapest place to buy overwatch

Direct from Blizzard I'm sure, they controlling that market by being the only one to sell the cheaper standard edition
Everyone else is selling the more expensive "here's some cosmetic tat" edition

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Bastion represents an insurmountable challenge if you're unwilling to change heroes to counter him. Or take advantage of your team mates.

I'd mostly say the big "problem" with him is that it just feels like garbage to be mowed down so quickly by him when you round a corner. Not that that isn't an issue with a lot of other characters; I love doing that with McCree after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom