• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

It's out:

LU35anV.png

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/store/p/phantom-dust/9pcdnbhr11mr

Some people say it's crashing on launch. Woops. edit: crashes are on X1, PC is fine.

Wok

Yeah, this will flop. Fake devs will find a way to game the new algorithm, users will be upset because small, legitimate indie games won't drop cards and obviously this will also affect the bottomline of these developers. They are trying way too hard to solve their problems with algorithms, how about, you know, get a team of 3 people together to check if a game is a pure asset flip before allowing it on the store?

Why pay people to perform the boring job of checking each game when you can automatically train a blackbox to perform better, more consistently and based on a ton of data (gaming, hub, etc.)? Let's see how it performs first.

Plus the goal is not to build the perfect algorithm anyway, but to decrease the economic incentive of releasing fake games. So any algorithm which would cut out like 50% of the fake games, without touching a single real game, would be okay too. It sounds reasonable to build such a tool with little to no backlash for smaller games.

The confidence metric is built from a variety of pieces of data, all aimed at separating legitimate games and players from fake games and bots. You might wonder why the confidence metric will succeed at identifying fake games, when we weren't being successful at using data to prevent them getting through Greenlight. The reason is that Greenlight is used by a tiny subsection of Steam's total playerbase, producing far less data overall, which makes it more easily gamed. In addition, Greenlight only allows players to vote and comment, so that data is narrow. Steam at large allows players to interact with games in many different ways, generating a broad set of data for each game, and that makes identifying fake ones an easier task.

With this change, we hope to significantly reduce the economic incentive for the bad actors to release fake games on Steam. We're hopeful that this will have little negative impact on other developers and players, with a small number of games having a delay before their Trading Cards start to drop. On the positive side, it should significantly improve the quality of the data being fed into the Store algorithms, which is a good thing for everyone.

Since apparently Valve isn't my friend and Steam is bad for the industry, I'm glad the Microsoft Store is taking up the mantle of being my friend and being good for the industry.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

They Bleed Pixels -- MB-47E12053AD464C99 - Taken by Regginator. 1 entrants total.

t1494981834z1.png

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Will Idlemaster still work with the changes to Steam Trading Cards?

It will have to be upgraded to get achievements and leave convincing reviews. Maybe chat about how much fun it's having with other instances of Idlemaster, complain about how bullshit certain bosses are. That sort of thing.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
With all the changes and delays to cards and marketplace, at this point I wouldn't even still use Idlemaster if Valve just gave me a way to turn off notifications for just card drops while playing a game.

I am using Opera right now.

I look down on those of you who are not.

I've since moved on to Vivaldi. The successor to original Opera.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Steamworld Heist -- MB-21EF540D680A9A34 - Taken by Madventure

Blu(e)

Pretty surprised how much I like Quake Champions. It's got the most unappealing cast of characters but the gameplay feels pretty solid. I also don't know how to feel about movements options being locked behind characters or just the champions in general.

I'll probably mull over it more when the game has released and when I've played it some more but currently it's fun to play it in between games. This is my first Quake and it's been positive.

Jawmuncher

One of those people has awful taste.

fryfromfuturamaststaring.gif

Should of been Dinosaurboy.

Owlboy? Who wants to play that?!

EXACTLY

Steam should add a feature for anti-friends: People who's likes and dislikes are your polar opposite. I would add you right away, that would improve the algorithm by tenfold. At least.

I half expect at least an "ignore this users recommendations" feature in the future.

Amzin

After 3 1/2 days of an emotionally tumultuous move, I has my PC back on and online. Sadly it's wireless instead of wired until they fix some stuff in my apartment but I'll take it.

I see a Humble Bundle I already own everything in, some complaints about Sonic, and some sort of Japan waifu pic, I think I'm caught up already in here! :p

zkylon

zkylewd
the game can be enjoyed in the state it's sold but yeah everything looking blurry is kind of lame

indie bundle is kind of suspect, selection seems kind of all over the place, tho steamworld heist for $1 is a steal. owlboy looks neat too and kr0 has long lost my interest but it's a good game

Monsters Love You looked like a great game to play during my breaks at school, was a dollar short and just sold like 4 cards. God bless steam cards, they're the best.

zkylon

zkylewd
i just got an alan wake booster pack, i think i'm gonna hold onto these cards in case they become bizarrely valuable in the future

they won't, but like most non anime cards they're worthless atm so who cares

i just got an alan wake booster pack, i think i'm gonna hold onto these cards in case they become bizarrely valuable in the future

oh damn thats right, once its gone the only way to get cards would be from booster packs and those who are still holding out on em.

I half expect at least an "ignore this users recommendations" feature in the future.

no joke, I'd love that feature.

RootCause

oh damn thats right, once its gone the only way to get cards would be from booster packs and those who are still holding out on em.

no joke, I'd love that feature.
I've been meaning to ask. What are the cards/booster pack for?

yuraya

Valve is not your friend.

Anime is not your friend.

Your gaming habits are unhealthy

Your favorite video game is shit.

You've been warned SteamGAF

716F9E2CB2A4F7010B771C2A9E893F9F54A45DA0

Valve is not your friend.

Anime is not your friend.

Your gaming habits are unhealthy

Your favorite video game is shit.

You've been warned SteamGAF

My whole life has been a lie :(

Phantom Dust seems cool, I'm all about obscure Japanese games so it just fits well.
Yeah it is pretty neat. First time playing it and it has a certain uniqueness to it that resonates with me very well. Still gotta get used to defensive skills though, hard to judge the timing during some battles.

Kssio_Aug

I'm playing through Darksiders 2, it seems I'm at about 20 hours into the game, getting NEAR the end. But when I finally thought I would head to the last boss, it seems the game opened a new portal to a new dungeon. Got the Angel Key, now I need the Demon Key... of course. T-T

The game is pretty great. It actually gets much better after the 1st part. But I think it's a bit too long for it's own good... I feel a bit tired already and the portal puzzles were a pain in the ass. Will rest now though, cause today I played it a lot.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Spiritreaver, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Spiritreaver, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

LawBreakers -- MB-E38F1C365C156B1C - Taken by KenOD. 1 entrants total.
LawBreakers #2 -- MB-9B30C67DB5451D4B - Taken by boybrushdRED. 1 entrants total.
LawBreakers #3 -- MB-0EDFEBBBD0F70BCD - Taken by Regginator. 3 entrants total.
LawBreakers #4 -- MB-8C934F8A582F28AF - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 6 entrants total.
LawBreakers #5 -- MB-C0A45765B5220018 - Taken by Abomination. 1 entrants total.

t1495042410z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom