• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjoki

I see. That sounds though that "bundle trash" games wont drop cards now.

Probably, but those games won't even be there, cards are literally their only profit.

Think of devs selling keys for a cent or two on sites like SteamGrounds for botters. Bundle sites use those as fillers to up game count.

xist

Can get to humble at work. What in it?

$1: Ziggurat, Windward, Steamworld Heist,
BTA: Kentucky Route Zero, Beholder, Goat Simulator GOATY,
$13: Owlboy

Plus more added week two at BTA. The BTA price has gone up from moment zero...nothing below starting price as far as I can see.

Your friendly reminder that all monthly games are probably going to end up in a normal bundle at some point.

Anyway, great bundle. Owlboy is an awesome game.

didamangi

Ziggurat finally in a bundle. Nice.

NOLF2 still runs with no (new) issues on windows 10. More than that the game still looks pretty OK today.

NOLF 2 has issues running with really high resolution that makes the game crashes on start. I can get around that with selecting 1080p in game and forcing higher res with dgvoodoo 2. After that the game runs great with widescreen patches, force AA at 4K. NOLF 1 with jackfuste's widescreen patch runs fine. But the FPS drop when zooming with a sniper rifle is an issue and I can't seem to find a fix that works.

Some screenshots I took: http://imgur.com/a/3FqWX

I'm so close to just buying used disc copies of No One Lives Forever 2, Vietcong and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Can't remember if that NOLF expansion came out on a separate disc but it probably did.

That's what I did for NOLF 1, 2, Wolfenstein 2009. What's wrong with RtCW on steam though?

Ascheroth

That sounds good in theory.

I just hope legit niche games that just aren't selling well won't be affected by this. I swear, if games like House in Fata Morgana would've been affacted by this system, then fuck right off.
Otherwise, carry on.

----
$1 tier seems pretty great. BTA too, but those games aren't really my thing not. Not wanting Owlboy enough to justify tier 3.
Great bundle though.
I got a gift copy of Little Racers STREET from activating the Ziggurat key,
You're right, same here.

Benedict

Owlboy in a bundle? wow!

Steamworld Heist in the $1 tier? Crazy!

Also Kentucky Route Zero is in the bundle

This is one of the better bundles for a long time.

And some people here were doubting me when few months ago i posted here huge post about this situation with fake games, that was created only to take app id for card farms. Some people found it hard to believe that there was a huge card farms market at all, because "the idea that anyone is getting "huge profits from cards" is laughable". And now Valve stepped in and publicly admitted that there was indeed such problem and they're finally going to do something with this situation. I'm actually surprised that they really going to do this because they were getting cut from all those card farms.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And some people here were doubting me when few months ago i posted here huge post about this situation with fake games, that was created only to take app id for card farms. Some people found it hard to believe that there was a huge card farms market at all, because "the idea that anyone is getting "huge profits from cards" is laughable". And now Valve stepped in and publicly admitted that there was indeed such problem and they're finally going to do something with this situation. I'm actually surprised that they really going to do this because they were getting cut from all those card farms.

If memory serves, people didn't think you were making up a fairy tale, just disagreeing that it was a serious problem. I fell largely into the latter camp myself (with regard to the matter in general, that is, not your post specifically), however I'm happy to admit that Valve's point about card farm accounts playing silly buggers with the store's recommendation systems and creating unreliable data is actually something I hadn't previously considered.

Windward and Heist aren't my usual cup of tea, but at least look moderately intriguing. Beholder and Kentucky Route Zero are already on my wishlist. And I really, really want Owlboy, so this is one of the few bundles I've bought at the top tier. Hope next week's additions are good.

I already own these two, though, so have at 'em.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Father_Brain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Goat Simulator: GOATY -- MB-34F0548F1B74D0EC - Taken by chronomac
Ziggurat -- MB-AEE27F71542B18B7 - Taken by MaxiLive

Vuze

Sounds like shit TBQH.
How will this metric work for smaller games that still have a fanbase?

I don't get what valve gets out of this. Yeah stop bundle trash perhaps, but isn't that what steam Direct should already be doing?
Yeah, this will flop. Fake devs will find a way to game the new algorithm, users will be upset because small, legitimate indie games won't drop cards and obviously this will also affect the bottomline of these developers. They are trying way too hard to solve their problems with algorithms, how about, you know, get a team of 3 people together to check if a game is a pure asset flip before allowing it on the store?

E: Did somebody also randomly receive a gift copy of Little Racers STREET? Seems like it happened when I activated the humble keys.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sounds like shit TBQH.
How will this metric work for smaller games that still have a fanbase?

I don't get what valve gets out of this. Yeah stop bundle trash perhaps, but isn't that what steam Direct should already be doing?

Steam Direct replacing Greenlight and representing a slightly(?) higher barrier to entry is only going to be so effective.

chronomac

Extra from the bundle:

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Steamworld Heist -- MB-337BB27CE72BE3D9 - Taken by fspm. 8 entrants total.

t1494960781z1.png

Ladekabel

That's a fine Humble Bundle. Probably in for Owlboy and always wanted to try Windward. Will wait for the other games before I pull the trigger.

If memory serves, people didn't think you were making up a fairy tale, just disagreeing that it was a serious problem. I fell largely into the latter camp myself (with regard to the matter in general, that is, not your post specifically), however I'm happy to admit that Valve's point about card farm accounts playing silly buggers with the store's recommendation systems and creating unreliable data is actually something I hadn't previously considered.
Of course there was replies about fake games are not being a big problem, and there was discussion about it too. But that "the idea that anyone is getting "huge profits from cards" is laughable" part is literal quote from some of replies i got when i tried to explain situation with asset flips and fake games in March 2017 thread. I'm just glad that i don't need to prove that those card farms exists in the first place. Still, I'm curious too see how that new "algorithm" would work, probably it'll be somehow connected with achievements and steam overlay activity.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They probably should of focused on the card issue from the beginning as that is the primary cause of all the shit.
But it earns them millions without doing anything.

I'd rather there be a "drop cards" button so I don't have to idle anything. Then you run into the refund issue. There's really no good solution.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Can I buy the $1 tier in the new humble now and lock in the BTA price for next week, or did they fix it so it's BTA at present time?

tuxfool

Banned
Ziggurat finally in a bundle. Nice.

NOLF 2 has issues running with really high resolution that makes the game crashes on start. I can get around that with selecting 1080p in game and forcing higher res with dgvoodoo 2. After that the game runs great with widescreen patches, force AA at 4K. NOLF 1 with jackfuste's widescreen patch runs fine. But the FPS drop when zooming with a sniper rifle is an issue and I can't seem to find a fix that works.

Some screenshots I took: http://imgur.com/a/3FqWX

Ahh. I edited a .cfg file to get higher resolutions, I didn't use widescreen because things like the sniper crosshairs don't account for it.

Jawmuncher

Steam Direct replacing Greenlight and representing a slightly(?) higher barrier to entry is only going to be so effective.

Don't protect them JaseC. As polygon said Gaben isn't your friend. Or he'd have given you a copy of wheelman.

But in all seriousness. I get what it's going for, but I feel there would be a better way about this. We have to see it doesn't affect smaller games. I'd be mad as hell if stuff like Red Haze can't have card drops because "not enough people are playing it". Despite it being a wholly original game.

So it looks like there are two types of developer abusers of the card system. Developers who make games to be sold for near nothing and get a cut of card sales from users who make a net profit when selling the cards. This is hamstrung by demand for the cards.

And a more insidious version which generate keys that are then bot farmed by themselves. I guess they also have the option to gem them as well. The gained store credit used to go to gifts to be sold but obviously not anymore.

illusionary

Not bad, but I was hoping for Owlboy in a Monthly.

Yeah, I had it pegged as a Monthly game too... still, this means that there's more room for other games in the Monthlies, which is no bad thing.

Now, next to hope for Hollow Knight to show up eventually (or in a sale)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom