• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

agniswarm

Banned
Today is my cake day
DASXSw3.png

Happy Birthday!

Deques

Happy birthday Deques (for the third time :D) :)

Happy birthday, Deques! :D

Happy birthday Deques! Hope you have a great day. :)

Happy birthday!

Happy cake day!

Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday!!! :D

Thanks everyone. Hoping that this day will be a great day.

What game should I get myself? :)

Anyone going to try 52 games in a year next year? I'm going to give it a go but I've run out of short achievable games with my life style. I'm left with games like Mass Effect, Skyrim and Fallout which I love but they're going to take me ages. Still looking forward to it though :D

I'll try to install 52 of them and play like 10

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think you might be in the more happy camp seeing as you play at 1680x1050. I think I'm going to have to concede that 2560x1440 isn't going to be viable unless I want muddy textures and fuck all AA. Good job I've got 3 other monitors to play around with!

I'm happy to report that the game runs acceptably at max settings aside from textures (High) and AA (FXAA; hopefully SMAA is patched in at some point). It definitely doesn't hold 30fps but thus far the framerate drops haven't been particularly egregious.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think red tags shows up on cart anymore.

Not in the cart, no, but when you select the "Purchase as a gift" option, which is what he's referring to.

Although The Witcher 3 remains region-free, I would advise against purchasing the new sub for the time being as the fact it isn't supposed to be giftable means retroactive region-locks are a distinct possibility. Case in point: Thi4f's RU/CIS pre-purchase sub was region-free for months before Squeenix threw OARIC into the mix and the flag was never removed.

Arthea

Happy birthday, Deques!

VF has been a horrible fighting game ever since people raved about VF4 (which wasn't good either) and then lost their shit for VF4:EVO.

What Steam really needs, and what was sorely lacking from that "games we want on PC" list lash posted, is so obvious that I cannot even fathom how their list was created.

We NEED Tekken.

Not DoA. Not VF.

TEKKEN.

you keep confirming your horrible gaming tastes on daily basis now?
no to not DoA!

Arthea

greenlight update:

moar VNs, this one seems to be sim and VN, which worked well for several VNs in the past

another manage your guild? We have none at all and suddenly we have two in couple of weeks? seems fishy, but oh well, there more the merrier

edited: whoa! VC is on the top of top sellers lists here too! I didn't expect to see that. So good for Sega and hopefully for us.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-EONE/ether-one

Ether One is 75% off on Gamersgate.
I have the game on my wishlist, I saw several videos, but there's something I'm not convinced about.
Did someone here try it?

I played it. Maybe it's not my type of game, but I didn't think it was all that good. A lot of the puzzles were ridiculously unintuitive, and made absolutely no sense without a guide. Far too convoluted.

The "story" was pretty conceited and boring. There's no real payoff, it's all very vague, and tries to be deep or whatever. I know there are at least 2 endings you can get, but neither of them are really satisfying. Maybe people who've had similar personal experiences will get something out of it, but I didn't.

That being said, I got 13 hours out of it, so in the end I guess it was worth the $7 I spent on it. Some fun puzzles, but overall, not very good.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Thanks. I saw a video and you need to collect red ribbons in order to proceed in the game. That was not a good thing: I mean, collectibles are ok, but only if they are facultative.
I will pass on this game, maybe I will take it in a future bundle.

That is a very strange way to think about it. I think you're not understanding the point of the red ribbons - they pretty much show up exactly where a story relevant spot is, acting as breadcrumbs to drag you through to the next section. The crazy thing about Ether One is that you can complete as many or as few puzzles as you wish. You could go through the game doing only a handful of puzzles while reaching these "breadcrumbs". Or if you wish to deal with the brain teasers, you can do as many of those you'd like as well. They are nothing like the hidden packages from GTA or the collect-a-thon nightmares of Rare platformers.

As for the comment on the puzzles being obtuse, almost every single puzzle requires analyzing your surroundings and understanding what is missing. For example: You have a whiteboard that has a series of names on it marking who was working at the time that it froze in place. One of those names is missing. By working your way through the area, there's plenty of evidence around telling you about the people who were already on the board, and eventually the missing person as well. No puzzle requires a leap in logic, you just need to find where it draws the solution from.

Ether One is one of this year's most criminally overlooked titles. If you aren't a fan of slow, contemplative 'walking simulators' (even though this one has heavy puzzle elements) and a remorseful story of loss, then it won't work for you. But it is something special for those that do. I'd highly recommend everyone with any interest bite at 75% off.

still left:

Risk of Rain #1 -- MB-77228B1FF52177B5 - Taken by Sarcasm. 2 entrants total.
Risk of Rain #3 -- MB-64439D9A3475B1C4 - Taken by M*A*S*H. 2 entrants total.

Modbot

Arthea

I know! Why only 3? There should be 4 entries, right? :p

http://static5.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_tiny/1197/11970954/2568033-910sqzf1bgl._sl1500_.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

you aren't joking for your knowledge, somebody posted there were 4 on their regional store (><)

[quote="Chairmanchuck, post: 138495907"]It just feels like the english subtitles are using a totally different script. The subtitles and the japanese VA sometimes have totally different sentences.[/QUOTE]

It's true for many translated games, I think it's caused by translators translating a script like a book, not seeing a game itself, at least partly by that, partly by japanese language being ambiguous.

Milamber

It just feels like the english subtitles are using a totally different script. The subtitles and the japanese VA sometimes have totally different sentences.

Japanese talks more natural. English adds to translation with meaningless fluff currently onscreen just to fill the mouth moving / sentence ratio.

Like those old Hong Kong flicks.

hABiQNy.gif

It's true for many translated games, I think it's caused by translators translating a script like a book, not seeing a game itself, at least partly by that, partly by japanese language being ambiguous.

I am aware of that, but usually when I play JRPGs and its has japanese VO, the translation still carries the same idea/still has the same sense as the voices.
In VA somehow it feels some sentences have a totally different meaning.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Thanks. I saw a video and you need to collect red ribbons in order to proceed in the game. That was not a good thing: I mean, collectibles are ok, but only if they are facultative.
I will pass on this game, maybe I will take it in a future bundle.

That is a very strange way to think about it. I think you're not understanding the point of the red ribbons - they pretty much show up exactly where a story relevant spot is, acting as breadcrumbs to drag you through to the next section. The crazy thing about Ether One is that you can complete as many or as few puzzles as you wish. You could go through the game doing only a handful of puzzles while reaching these "breadcrumbs". Or if you wish to deal with the brain teasers, you can do as many of those you'd like as well. They are nothing like the hidden packages from GTA or the collect-a-thon nightmares of Rare platformers.

As for the comment on the puzzles being obtuse, almost every single puzzle requires analyzing your surroundings and understanding what is missing. For example: You have a whiteboard that has a series of names on it marking who was working at the time that it froze in place. One of those names is missing. By working your way through the area, there's plenty of evidence around telling you about the people who were already on the board, and eventually the missing person as well. No puzzle requires a leap in logic, you just need to find where it draws the solution from.

Ether One is one of this year's most criminally overlooked titles. If you aren't a fan of slow, contemplative 'walking simulators' (even though this one has heavy puzzle elements) and a remorseful story of loss, then it won't work for you. But it is something special for those that do. I'd highly recommend everyone with any interest bite at 75% off.

Quoting for the new page. I'd also highly implore anyone with interest in a laid-back, mellow walking sim puzzler hybrid to pick up Ether One while it's $5. Seriously, criminally underrated game. Flew completely under everyone's radar.

Arthea

I am aware of that, but usually when I play JRPGs and its has japanese VO, the translation still carries the same idea/still has the same sense as the voices.
In VA somehow it feels some sentences have a totally different meaning.

I noticed that too, on more than several occasions, Vanille is one of those examples from later games, or Lymle another of well known.
I don't know why but english VA often seems to against character or what's said, in a weird way, I can't quite describe.

Still nothing beats Breath of Fire 2 translation where no is translated to yes and yes to no, for example. How do you manage that?! (><)

Chariot

It's that bad! Also will they port anymore VC games to Steam?
It's not exactly bad. It were soldiers that were surprised by something. In the sound they say nothing and just made sounds of surprise, in the subtitles they said something like "Do you hear that?" - "Yeah, what is that.". So it's not exactly a bother or a problem. Since they were wearing helmets, it was no problem with the mouthes either.

And to the second thing, SEGA did say nothing about it yet. But we hope. Maybe if we make enough noise and money.

Shadownet

Banned
It's not exactly bad. It were soldiers that were surprised by something. In the sound they say nothing and just made sounds of surprise, in the subtitles they said something like "Do you hear that?" - "Yeah, what is that.". So it's not exactly a bother or a problem. Since they were wearing helmets, it was no problem with the mouths either.

lol I'm sorry when I said "It's that bad" I meant Unity is so bad that it can't even beat a 7 years old game :p

Ah :D
Yeah, Assassins Creed pretty much fucked itself hard.

swUb3Mo.png

Also lol at these variations of saying that it's set in Paris 1789
Most of the reviews for both platforms on metacritic are the relatively positive ones from no-name sites though. Get the other scores on there and we'll see how much lower it goes. The critic score won't match the user one, but hey.

Copons

How does the top sellers tab works?

The three AC are three different version of the same game (like, gold, collectors and whatnot)?
The fact that some season passes are higher than the relative games (bland presequel, cod aw) is normal?
But mostly, is it even possible that no one is buying CoD AW on Steam, while Five Nights has been in the top 5 for an entire day now?

wolfhowwl

Banned

Arthea

How does the top sellers tab works?

The three AC are three different version of the same game (like, gold, collectors and whatnot)?
The fact that some season passes are higher than the relative games (bland presequel, cod aw) is normal?
But mostly, is it even possible that no one is buying CoD AW on Steam, while Five Nights has been in the top 5 for an entire day now?

it's based on revenue, so the less expensive game the more it has to sell to stay at the top, that's why VC being at the top is so impressive.
As for AC, I'm pretty sure that's a glitch, that we see 3 there, although maybe those are different versions. I still doubt that all would sell almost the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom