• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiDdYoNe

Damn.

Killed
Isaac
in Isaac.

Was dancing with mom's heart with half a heart, used Joker card and was pretty happy to teleport to "heaven". Lord gave me no hearts, blowed up secret room full of health, got to the boss and what a surprise.

Love this game.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Well, I didnt play it, only saw some videos in and there. Now I don't know what to do.

Hmm. Well, how did you like Myst, Dear Esther, Gone Home, those sorts of things? It doesn't borrow exactly from those, but they are the closest analogues around. It takes a slow pace telling a little sad tale like Dear Esther, but without the art house script that people tend not to like. It borrows from the ideals of Myst burying the puzzles into the surroundings, only it follows more natural logic. Where have I seen this advertisement before, and did it have a year listed on it for when the brewery was established? Ding, puzzle. Will you be alright with a story that is personal like Gone Home's? It isn't in the same vein, but it is still peeking into someone's skull in a way that feels like you almost shouldn't be that close to their thoughts.

Depending on your appreciation or dislike for any of the above, that should probably dictate what you do for Ether One. If you found any one of the above things less to your liking, then I wouldn't blame you for deciding to skip out. If you want my more in-depth thoughts on everything, I wrote out a full review earlier in the year.

Or maybe this will help someone decide, by taking away their need to do so in the first place!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (CheesecakeRecipe, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ether One -- MB-01DFFC3F0C3ED9AF - Taken by wetflame. 36 entrants total.

t1415797102z1.png

Kiru

"Ido"? Doc Ido? Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita? ...oh, forget it.
:(
Seriously one of my favorite mangas. The OVA was so disappointing... I guess when James Cameron gets around to actually shooting the movie adaptation he wanted to do a lot more people will get to know this gem. Dude still waits for CGI technology to advance... Also he is busy with his Avatar sequels first...

Copons

it's based on revenue, so the less expensive game the more it has to sell to stay at the top, that's why VC being at the top is so impressive.
As for AC, I'm pretty sure that's a glitch, that we see 3 there, although maybe those are different versions. I still doubt that all would sell almost the same.

I'm aware that they're revenue-based, but they should be also based on a period of time.
They don't seem to be weekly or daily, as I saw it changing several times in the last couple of days (especially in the lower half of the top10).

So even disregarding the eventual glitches, I really can't figure out how they're calculating that chart.

Arthea

I'm somehow shocked to see Myst in the same sentence with Dear Esther and even more with Gone Home. I don't see those as anything alike (><)

I'm aware that they're revenue-based, but they should be also based on a period of time.
They don't seem to be weekly or daily, as I saw it changing several times in the last couple of days (especially in the lower half of the top10).

So even disregarding the eventual glitches, I really can't figure out how they're calculating that chart.

they aren't really calculating or updating, it's simply auto summing up price of every copy bought to the pile as it goes in real time, perhaps?
Or I misunderstood you yet again!

edited: I probably should play Ether One already too, to see for myself. Too many games too little time.

AHA-Lambda

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-EONE/ether-one

Ether One is 75% off on Gamersgate.
I have the game on my wishlist, I saw several videos, but there's something I'm not convinced about.
Did someone here try it?

I didn't like it too much, ignoring the optional puzzles the game is really a giant fetch quest out to find those ribbons.

Also story I fe left something to be desired, the VO woman is repugnant and I can't tell if you're supposed to hate or sympathise with her frankly!
It has got a good twist at the end but it's all I can really praise it for.

What game is this?

Dr Dogg

Happy Cake Day Deques!

Reading a few opinion pieces and watching the recent Bombing with Scoops vid, while I appreciate the sentiments of these folks trying to get a review out for either critique or purchasing advice for their audience, sadly I think they are so far detached for the buying public. I don't think they are aware that a lot of people will buy the game regardless if you have a review up a week before, they will have it preordered months before any embargo terms are laid out, they will even ignore reviews that don't go along with the opinion they themselves have already made up about the game they have only seen in marketing either publisher direct or parroted by said outlets. That is what these guys and girls should be trying to change.

I'm happy to report that the game runs acceptably at max settings aside from textures (High) and AA (FXAA; hopefully SMAA is patched in at some point). It definitely doesn't hold 30fps but thus far the framerate drops haven't been particularly egregious.

Ah good, good. Hopefully that translates into something similar my end with a slight resolution bump. Of course now I play the waiting game...

Edit: And checking the PC Perf thread there appears to be a GFE update with dedicated SLI bits now. So hopefully they scale better than what I've seen. Feels good not to be an unpaid beta tester for once :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Myst is basically my favourite "point and click" saga, I played all of them, enjoyed them all (in fact Cyan Complete Pack was one of my firth purchase in Steam). Otherwise I didn't like so much Dear Esther and Gone Home. Thanks for the giveaway, I entered for it so I can discover more about Ether One in case I'll win :)

Also, guys, have fun:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138499252&postcount=1867

Loved Myst and Riven myself, never got around to the others except fooling around on Uru Live. Good luck!

I'm somehow shocked to see Myst in the same sentence with Dear Esther and even more with Gone Home. I don't see those that anything alike (><)

With the comparisons I was trying to draw from the major elements that Ether One is built from. There's no one single game that I can compare it to because of the structure of story vs puzzle, as well as the artistic design and the integration of vital information into the background. The puzzles being very much like the way Myst required you to pay attention to your surroundings with less obtuse mechanisms. In that way, it takes from Gone Home's style as well, since the puzzles there are based off of something that actually exists in reality.

It takes on a maudlin tone, hence the comparison to Dear Esther. The focus on art design reminds me of DE's as well, in some way I find difficult to explain. It's a very personal tale much like DE's was. But instead of a stage actor reciting victorian manuscript it's all told through the environment and the extra pieces of the story you earn through completing puzzles. And much like Dear Esther, you can treat Ether One as an A-to-B walk in the park (mostly, barring a few up-beat sections) and ignore most of the puzzles. Or you can spend your time trying to 100% an area, which can be pretty damn satisfying.

It's a weird hybrid that takes from a lot of games that I frequently see contested, while not 100% copying what those games did. It is weird. And wonderful.

Copons

they aren't really calculating or updating, it's simply auto summing up price of every copy bought to the pile as it goes in real time, perhaps?
Or I misunderstood you yet again!

You didn't misunderstand me, and you aren't now. :D

But, if they're summing up in real time, an hypotetical chart would basically put the most expensive game on top, or even worse, it would show a completely different chart every second.
Like, at this point it would mean that every "second" (or whatever the period is), for every single copy of ACU sold, there are more than 3 copies of VC sold, around 7 copies of Five Nights, around 12 copies of Enslaved sold, and so on.
And like, no copy of CoD AW sold at all. :D
I mean, it seems really really wrong.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I think they've gone about it wrong, though. They've made a new sub that includes the remake app, but what they need to do is pull the previous sub, add the remake to it, and then put up the new sub minus the remake. Simply pulling the existing sub and putting up the new one as-is won't retroactively grant the owners of the previous sub the base game.

Anywho, somebody bought one of my NASCAR '13 spares today and I used one of those keys to buy myself a copy of the current sub, so we'll see what happens.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I could never figure out how to play Myst as a child. I was a dumb kid.

I think a lot of those puzzles were cruel to drop on kids, especially since both Myst and Riven were installed on school computers as well as being sold at book fairs. Riven especially got cruel at times.

Though I'd say the best/worst was my friend who was tone deaf. He couldn't activate the rocketship to travel to the Selenitic age because the puzzle required you to mimic a series of notes on a musical instrument.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wha! This has been in a bundle or something I missed? :(

It was pre-purchasable with a 33% early bird discount via the official site for yonks. The deal expired at some point within the past few months and consequently the discount dropped to 10%.

Copons

It was pre-purchasable with a 33% early bird discount via the official site for yonks. The deal expired at some point within the past few months and consequently the discount dropped to 10%.

Oh well then it's fine. I'm way too cheapass to buy games for a mere 33% off.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I'm surprised the tags don't contain 'Pottery Simulator' yet.

59c8a908_Annie-pottery_3.gif

I'd like that.

I think a lot of those puzzles were cruel to drop on kids, especially since both Myst and Riven were installed on school computers as well as being sold at book fairs. Riven especially got cruel at times.

Though I'd say the best/worst was my friend who was tone deaf. He couldn't activate the rocketship to travel to the Selenitic age because the puzzle required you to mimic a series of notes on a musical instrument.

I remember that. Ah, I felt like a genius doing that.

MayMay

Banned
Everyone hating on Unity, and I'm just sitting here enjoying it alot lol, runs well on my PC and I didnt have any gameplay related bugs yet after ~10 hours. Guess I was fortunate that my PC Copy ended up working a day before the reviews, so I could go in without having read a different opinion that maybe would've influenced my view on the game.
There's a good game beneath the technical mess, imo. Might end up my favourite AC game, I really disliked AC3 and AC4 - and this feels alot more like AC2/Brotherhood so thats nice.

Knurek

Everyone hating on Unity, and I'm just sitting here enjoying it alot lol, runs well on my PC and I didnt have any gameplay related bugs yet after ~10 hours. Guess I was fortunate that my PC Copy ended up working a day before the reviews, so I could go in without having read a different opinion that maybe would've influenced my view on the game.
There's a good game beneath the technical mess, imo. Might end up my favourite AC game, I really disliked AC3 and AC4 - and this feels alot more like AC2/Brotherhood so thats nice.

Vastag

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 -- MB-089AB18940440AE5 - Taken by A Fish Aficionado

MayMay

Banned

As a matter of fact, my Avatar isnt AC related at all. And my name? Yeah, man. Sucks that I've been sticking to the same Username for over 5 years now. Obviously means I'm a giant fanboy.

Edit: Might want to add that I'm not. I didnt enjoy any Assassin's Creed game except 2 and Brotherhood. Kinda disqualifies me from that, seeing as I dislike most games in the franchise.

Oh yeah you're still wearing your Halloween avatar.

Problem? I like it, so Ill keep using it for a bit longer. It's not that Halloween related anyways lol

Coreda

Could have sworn Apotheon came out earlier in the year, vaguely remember someone comparing it unfavorably to Guacamelee, saying the gameplay is rather simplistic. The art style is nice.

wilflare

checked with both traders on B/S/T - Witcher 3 is now locked and so they can't sell it anymore

anyone knows of anyone with that old sub for sale?
I'll buy one with the RU sub now (silly OCD has to go)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom