• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more dailies means no more getting to the store page early waiting for them to refresh, all in hopes of a price error past the first day. I'll miss that somewhat if this last beyond just the Holiday sales.

I look forward to less clutter of "wait for the dailies" (no matter how deserved) and more talk on what is a good deal, what are hidden gems, and so forth.

You'll get none of that talk.

You'll just get the stupidity of "is this game worth it?" repeated over and over again by people who don't read a thread before posting which will incite the same people to say the same positives or negatives about the game in a vicious (and almost endless) cycle.

A Steam sale on the worst day is better than any of those "deals" Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo come up with.

Sony's PSN Flash sales have rivaled or eclipsed Steam pricing for most of 2015, if not longer. Not always, mind you, but they've been doing a damn good job of competing lately... Why do you think we have posters like PunishedSnake lamenting that Hotline MIami 2 was cheaper on PSN than it has ever been on Steam during the Halloween sale?

I'm still waiting for the last day of a big Steam sale just because. Well goodbye price errors then. It's what I loved during those flash/daily spotlights.

jediyoshi

owh8e5P.png

overwatch has sprays and they're bound to the T key, r u sweating yet volvo

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not so sure about that. It has to cover store development, back end servers (hardware and software) for both the store and every game, patching systems, all the community hubs and friend servers, cloud game saves, and likely the most expensive thing: customer service (which is terrible blah blah blah, but as JShackles has mentioned, it's Valve's biggest department by staff size). All of that has to be covered in perpetuity for every single game on the store regardless of whether it sells or not.

I really don't think that Valve is pocketing 25% of every single game that sells on Steam. I think they would be much richer than they already appear to be.

EDIT: wasn't there that email from Gabe about dealing with the emails that came in just from the Skyrim Paid Mods debacle that amounted to very large amounts of money:
"Let's assume for a second that we are stupidly greedy. So far the paid mods have generated $10K total. That's like 1% of the cost of the incremental email the program has generated for Valve employees (yes, I mean pissing off the Internet costs you a million bucks in just a couple of days). That's not stupidly greedy, that's stupidly stupid.

You need a more robust Valve-is-evil hypothesis."
it's all speculation for both of us i guess

but i doubt their margin is so small that's for sure

Will be adding a +1 to myself in a little over an hour or whatever date is listed as my join date on my profile (I joined GAF on my birthday, haha). Have a slice of cake~

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 32 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Asphyxia -- MB-DDB8BF59A07788A4 - Taken by Annubis. 19 entrants total.
Crowntakers -- MB-B2B15A1D5BA134EE - Taken by gurm3n. 20 entrants total.
The Marvellous Miss Take -- MB-056EAD0969056490 - Taken by OmarYusaf. 20 entrants total.
Neverending Nightmares -- MB-7B19E6580D3FDA91 - Taken by Shalashaska. 15 entrants total.

SWR JST DX Selective Memory Erase Effect -- MB-994766B46F5467EA - Taken by dot. 8 entrants total.

Tulpa -- MB-DF3AFA19935B9A7C - Taken by OmarYusaf. 5 entrants total.
Cloudbuilt -- MB-14CF5627432E0015 - Taken by Purkake4. 16 entrants total.
Kromaia -- MB-8410E4990939D3A6 - Taken by derExperte. 10 entrants total.
Vox Populi Vox Dei 2 -- MB-90B4264384D081F9 - Taken by Jalal. 8 entrants total.
Interplanetary -- MB-D40490F100DDA80D - Taken by Darth Kupi. 10 entrants total.
Strata -- MB-DF2DF28F4269E6E7 - Taken by Madn. 1 entrants total.
STRIDER -- MB-9B1713D505F973A0 - Taken by Sch1sm. 9 entrants total.
Tiamat X -- MB-09516A70B390F0A1 - Taken by SSPssp. 4 entrants total.
FOTONICA -- MB-462CAC38D25ED6B9 - Taken by Vlad. 14 entrants total.
Among the Sleep -- MB-08CF5EB8E5FE82A8 - Taken by cardinalmind. 21 entrants total.
Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe -- MB-944C69F898B81772 - Taken by arts&crafts. 8 entrants total.
Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries -- MB-F70B99E90BDBAFB4 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 19 entrants total.
Another Perspective -- MB-2DD9F1519ECBD904 - Taken by Mikurden. 2 entrants total.
Doodle God -- MB-70563C3004766715 - Taken by Ozium. 8 entrants total.
Crimsonland -- MB-D8F35E6D5ACF67AD - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 5 entrants total.
Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION -- MB-8FF7DBB1A80FA566 - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 6 entrants total.
SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition -- MB-23FF90C1D9FF0498 - Taken by ExoSoul. 8 entrants total.
Drive to Hell -- MB-742DBA0E57772796 - Taken by Naaq. 4 entrants total.
Boot Hill Heroes -- MB-524A9A095B67F83E - Taken by bigzgod. 9 entrants total.
Hello Kitty and Sanrio Friends Racing -- MB-C7F8ACD533A7BDDA - Taken by redlacs. 10 entrants total.
Noir Syndrome -- MB-A507659B8CA059EB - Taken by Costa1774. 5 entrants total.
Rats: Time is running out! -- MB-7232820F957654B7 - Taken by user237. 6 entrants total.
Lumino City -- MB-D26B84D87C0E7BCC - Taken by darkchewie. 10 entrants total.
Venetica Gold Edition -- MB-0FA39E61011C1EC6 - Taken by Corvo Jensen. 10 entrants total.
Pix the Cat -- MB-333ED2E76F2D1A0A - Taken by InfiniteNine. 14 entrants total.
Super Star Path -- MB-BC6C3D8C06A54BE2 - Taken by Kuroyume. 6 entrants total.
Fitz the Fox -- MB-49758E225BC50021 - Taken by KenOD. 3 entrants total.

t1448002698z1.png

Can someone help.

I can't login to Steam. It keeps telling me login information is incorrect. I changed the password now 3 times and nothing. I have access to the email on the account, I am entering everything properly, it just will not accept it. I recently formatted my PC if this has anything to do with it but even the android app won't login.

Exact error is "Login to Steam failed - either the specified account does not exist or the password is wrong"

criesofthepast, did you recently change your password or anything? Check your email to see if something is up with your account.

IIRC the times I've had problems connecting to Steam it was due to my router dying and not letting Steam connect to the Internet. Doubt that's your problem, from the error message.
Will be adding a +1 to myself in a little over an hour or whatever date is listed as my join date on my profile (I joined GAF on my birthday, haha). Have a slice of cake~

Congratulations.

Your art is always fun to see, WinterDemons. Thanks for sharing it.
Now go draw a cat.

OmarYusaf

Can someone help.

I can't login to Steam. It keeps telling me login information is incorrect. I changed the password now 3 times and nothing. I have access to the email on the account, I am entering everything properly, it just will not accept it. I recently formatted my PC if this has anything to do with it but even the android app won't login.

Exact error is "Login to Steam failed - either the specified account does not exist or the password is wrong"

Caps lock?

criesofthepast, did you recently change your password or anything? Check your email to see if something is up with your account.

IIRC the times I've had problems connecting to Steam it was due to my router dying and not letting Steam connect to the Internet. Doubt that's your problem, from the error message.

Congratulations.

Your art is always fun to see, WinterDemons. Thanks for sharing it.
Now go draw a cat.

Caps lock?
edit: nvm fixed steam is weird.

Day 3 of no internet. Help ;_;

Just play video games, and you'll be fine.

What's the context of this scene in the anime? Spoil it for me please :p

It's from Sword Art Online.
It's an mmo where in which if you die, you'll also die in real life. That guy who is jumping has just lost all of his guild members and got desperate of the world and decided to jump, iirc. Kids these days, given up so easily..

Knurek

If something is a mid-week deal, it's on sale for 3 days. (Tuesday 1pm EST - Friday 1pm EST, total 72h)
If something is a weekend deal, it's on sale for 4 days (Thursday 1pm EST - Monday 1pm EST, total 96h)

I was actually talking about Weeklongs, which are on sale for 7 days.
The fact that you seem to have forgotten all about them speaks volumes about how disappointing they are. :)

Tizoc

Soon GAF
Soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub1LqatBC9I
in late 2016

Just play video games, and you'll be fine.

It's from Sword Art Online.
It's an mmo where in which if you die, you'll also die in real life. That guy who is jumping has just lost all of his guild members and got desperate of the world and decided to jump, iirc. Kids these days, given up so easily..

I know the anime, just not the scene. But yeah these animu kids these days yeesh, just join the other guy.

dex3108

Maybe its a sign. Your PC is tying to protect you from Ubisoft assembly line-ware.

I like Ubisoft games, especially AC series so i don't need protection :D

[refunding intensifies]?

Then again, I can't imagine Ubisoft will let Unity-PC happen again anytime soon. Probably just launch day blues.

Nvidia code so no refund. Game can't load something but i don't know what. Intro video starts and after 2-5 seconds when loading/saving icon appears it just crashes. I will now try to start game in offline mode.

No daily/flash deals is a bad move in my opinion, they should at least return during the winter sale. Oh well, Valve tinkering as usual.

I personally don't like the daily/flash deals. While in theory it is a good way to highlight games, generally it was used to flog off Skyrim for the millionth time. There were also sometimes issues around timezones.

I think the best thing to do is let publishers discount heavily and then have personalised sales pages as Stump mentioned. This way it drives people into a cycle of checking through steam > seeing recommendations > wishlisting stuff > and then buying when the sale hits.

But then again, I just got a Bad Rats booster pack. So I think I'm done anyway.

Knurek

I personally don't like the daily/flash deals. While in theory it is a good way to highlight games, generally it was used to flog off Skyrim for the millionth time. There were also sometimes issues around timezones.

If you think Skyrim won't be promoted during the next Steam sale, I have a bridge to sell to you.

used Rivatuner to lock AC Syndicate at 30 FPS...I have a 290X and even with lowering settings (especially the Gameworks ones) it still has dips I'd rather not deal with once it gets into the non-starter area

I'm ok with doing that for now. At least that way I don't have to worry about the dips distracting me. Would prefer a stable 60 but I figured that'd be more wishful thinking at launch than reality.

Copons

Hell naw, I'll greatly miss daily, flash and community deals.
Not much for their price value, but for the fun side of them, with all the talk, joy, complaints and whatnot, having to wake up super early hoping to catch an error.
It was a big part of why Steam sales where kinda like a weird party, not always good (dat Ikaruga vote, FFS), but a party nonetheless.

Now what will we be supposed to do for 2 weeks? :eek:

AHA-Lambda

Oh God, just heard about the new Steam sale policy.

Fucking hell Valve, WHY??!
You've made some boneheaded decision in the past few years but fuck sake is nothing sacred? D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom