• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft seeks to replicate the success of Ghost of Tsushima in Japan with Assassin's Creed Shadows

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Overhyped lol. For me it ranks among the best games they’ve ever made. It’s extremely well put together.
I like Ghost Of Tsushima, it was an easy day 1 for me, but....I don't know if I'd say all that lol

I do feel, even has big Sony fan, there is this bias that Sony could literally do the same thing and get praise and someone else can do it better and be ridiculed, or attacked etc Ghost Of Tsushima isn't a bad game and I even agree that for Sucker Punch, it is the best games they've ever made 100%, but imho, that if anything shows just how ahead Ubisoft's teams have been in the first place.

The best Sucker Punch has made lacks so many functions compared to Origin, Odyssey and Valhalla. Like the boat traversal or groups of NPCs moving with you as a unit, these elements cannot be ignored or understated, they add way too much to that experience, I recall playing Ghost in 2020 and Valhalla years later and feeling like the mechanics in Valhalla make a better Samurai game lol

Boat to go from island to island

Clan that moves as a unit to do "raids" can simply be a Samurai clan that all physically go with you to save those people from the Mongols

Ability to move bodies (I can't stress this enough, this is a game where that idea is called "ghost" that doesn't allow you to move a body)

Smarter Ai , the movement path of the Ai in Valhalla varies a lot adding something random to the game as the guards do their rotation, so moving the bodies ^ makes sense. In Ghost, they just go from point A to B regardless

Recruiting and Managing Samurai - A game about Samurai should have something like this, but I do get they had their own linear path.

regardless, I left feeling like Ghost Of Tsushima could be more, but respected that it was their first game of this kind and agree it is their best game, merely that AC does this to more complexity, function and features with better Ai.

Where anyone even gets that they are doing some copy and paste or easy safe design is beyond me. If that is safe and easy, what the fuck is Ghost where it lacks those things? If Ghost Of Tsushima 2 aka Ghost Of Osaka aka Ghost Of Kyoto releases with those features, I don't want to hear shit by those arguing Ghost 1 was superior to those AC games lol

If matching the functions of a game, make your game better, it means clearly you are looking at a superior team to see how to improve your game. If Ghost 2 is in the Edo period, with clans, boats and recruiting Samurai etc I don't think many here would complain, they'd just try to act as if those are "new" features to gaming =) but I digress.
Just in case Ubisoft is preparing Shadows to be a launch title for Switch 2, if rumors are to be believed. So I can see it selling a good amount on that console there just because it'd be a launch title.

Could be, but I feel lots of ports will be at the launch. We'll see.
It'll sell because it's Assassin's Creed, but....
lol I disagree, it sells because it has a history of doing what someone expects to be done and they buy based on that trust.

The IP must first have trust before someone spends that money, so I never get this thing about "It'll sell because its XYZ" We also seen some fail, we've seen lots of IP fail. Look at GTA Trilogy lol They name gets the interest, the quality continues the sale. Look at Spiderman and Harry Potter, its not like those games were moving MASSIVE units before SOLELY based on name, that is completely false.

Spiderman moved records units with the right team and publisher, same with Hogwarts Legacy and that is deep in the end of Harry Potter fame, not like mid 90s or something lol So I don't subscribe to this idea that someone is buying it solely based on the name, like Madden, Call Of Duty, Fifa and in fact Fifa is the best example one can give here.

That is after the Fifa name was removed and its just EA FC or something.

So I believe the name recognition definitely can get people interested based on familiarity but ultimately anybody who's spending money on a video game clearly understands what's happening in the game and it's not just some mindless sheep that is just buying cause they see the name as I just don't see enough evidence to support something weird like that especially with the records Electronic Arts just broke with that soccer game it means even removing the name of fifa these guys fucking saw an increase by 7% that does not fucking sound like something where the person seeing the name determined the sale....

So if it does well, I don't really see it solely being based on the AC name, I see it based on the trust that comes with that actual name. If they were known wildly at putting out something that didn't work like a white screen and nothing played, clearly you would not be seeing those sales lol

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
lol I disagree, it sells because it has a history of doing what someone expects to be done and they buy based on that trust.
So.... it'll sell because it's Assassin's Creed.

Kumomeme

it is obvious

however, they completely missing the point why the game is successfull
Karl Onnée, says he is looking to replicate the success of Ghost of Tsushima in Japan with Assassin's Creed Shadows with an authentic product.

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Top Bottom