• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft seeks to replicate the success of Ghost of Tsushima in Japan with Assassin's Creed Shadows

Embearded

I think you guys are arguing without good reason. Historical accuracy only matters if the developers are aiming for it and are marketing the game as an accurate one.

Having weapons that came later or having a black samurai doesn't really matter as long as they don't include a stupid "based on real events" screen in the beginning.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think you guys are arguing without good reason. Historical accuracy only matters if the developers are aiming for it and are marketing the game as an accurate one.

Having weapons that came later or having a black samurai doesn't really matter as long as they don't include a stupid "based on real events" screen in the beginning.
My issue with Ghost isn’t even that, it’s how characters behave.

I give you example: In Sekiro when first face Genichiro and if you managed to beat him another Shinobi will cut you down and do you think Genichiro gives fuck about not winning “honourably“? Fuck no! He has a goal and he will do what takes to achieve it, heck his even willing give up his humanity to save his clan, honour has no room in winning a war.

Meanwhile in Ghost Jin warn his uncle that his running in to a trap but that idiotic uncle doesn’t care because his willing to get his men killed as long as he fights ”honourably”. That’s not fucking “honourable” that’s just being bad general which in real world would get you killed off by your superior.

Last edited:

Pejo

My issue with Ghost isn’t even that, it’s how characters behave.

I give you example: In Sekiro when first face Genichiro and if you managed to beat him another Shinobi will cut you down and do you think Genichiro gives fuck about not winning “honourably“? Fuck no! He has a goal and he will do what takes to achieve it, heck his even willing give up his humanity to save his clan, honour has no room in winning a war.

Meanwhile in Ghost Jin warn his uncle that his running in to a trap but that idiotic uncle doesn’t care because his willing to get his men killed as long as he fights ”honourably”. That’s not fucking “honourable” that’s just being bad general which in real world would get you killed off by your superior.
Then how do you explain seppuku/harakiri, if honor wasn't historically a factor in Japanese culture. I'm not arguing against your point btw, I just think that the angle in Ghost is plausible. Stupid and could have been written better, but still plausible.

Danjin44

Then how do you explain seppuku/harakiri, if honor wasn't historically a factor in Japanese culture. I'm not arguing against your point btw, I just think that the angle in Ghost is plausible. Stupid and could have been written better, but still plausible.
Honor is from victory not from getting your men killed and losing the war for sake of fighting ”fair”.

GoT get boring after a while. It' feels like Insomniac Game. Glossy AAA. It's ok at the begining and get repetitive soon.
Reminds me of Horizons. Also there is not depth in the open world.
Sory to say that but not sory. I hope Shadows to be better.

Pejo

Honor is from victory not from getting your men killed and losing the war for sake of fighting ”fair”.
Sure, as an ideal. But war was very much fought with sacrifice and poor decisions to save face for generals/leaders. Hell look at the American Revolutionary war where the Brits lost because they would line up in straight lines in the middle of a field and die from people hiding in forests picking them off etc. It's not a made up concept. Again, I'm not saying it's honorable or a good idea or whatever, but it is plausible from a historical angle that his uncle would think that way.

Danjin44

Sure, as an ideal. But war was very much fought with sacrifice and poor decisions to save face for generals/leaders. Hell look at the American Revolutionary war where the Brits lost because they would line up in straight lines in the middle of a field and die from people hiding in forests picking them off etc. It's not a made up concept. Again, I'm not saying it's honorable or a good idea or whatever, but it is plausible from a historical angle that his uncle would think that way.
Yes bad decision in tactics or disadvantage in battle but not actively knowing there is a trap but going in anyway because it’s “honourable“ way to fight, that just fucking stupid.

But in Ghost Khan is even more stupid, he captures Jin, his biggest threat and even kill his friend front him but instead of kill him as well, he tries convince him to join and then leaves him absolutely unharmed so his allies can rescue him…..WHY? And he brags about how studied Japanese culture and he knows how they think.

Last edited:

Pejo

Yes bad decision in tactics or disadvantage in battle but not actively knowing there is a trap but going in anyway because it’s “honourable“ way to fight, that just fucking stupid.

But in Ghost Khan is even more stupid, he captures Jin, his biggest threat and even kill his friend front him but instead of kill him as well, he tries convince him to join and then leaves him absolutely unharmed so his allies can rescue him…..WHY? And he brags about how studied Japanese culture and he knows how they think.
Yea, that part is extremely poor "James Bond" tier writing, I agree. And I'm not saying what they did was good or whatever, just that it was plausible enough to not cause a major rift in the plot for me.

I think you and I had more of a discussion about these plot points tonight than anyone at Sucker Punch did lol.

Hypnotoad

Games gonna get 7 or 8 out of 10 on all sites. It's not going to innovate on the AC formula enough to keep people who've played the other ones involved in the mind numbing Ubiquests and vacant eyed npcs. Nothing exciting or shocking will occur in the story. There will be no difficulty. Everything screams catered to casuals, flashy fluff, and bloat. It's still going to be mechanically sound despite it's horrendously stupid story.
I predict scores in the 8 to 9 range for Shadows since they have money bags going to Sweet baby and other affiliated protection rackets. "Gaming journalists" meanwhile will add points to display their ideological purity and keep their "exclusive" access to Ubisoft.

Tams

Yes, for example: The samurai swords in Ghost of Tsushima were created during the 13th century and improved in 14th century, while the Mongol invasions happened by the end of the 12th century, the Japanese swords were "upgraded" during the 13th century precisely because they proved to be hard to use against the Mongolian armours.

About Shadows being more authentic... I doubt it... Nobunaga did a lot of terrible stuff, no way Ubi will make Yasuke agree with all that on their game.

They will either make Nobunaga a good guy or make Yasuke fight him, which in both cases will be a huge middle finger to Japanese history.

If we're going to be really pedantic, the whole Mongol invasion is a wash in Japanese history.

If that storm hadn't happened, Japan would have been invaded very easily. The Japanese forces sent to defend Kyuushu were a sad, ragtag group - and that's the best Japan could offer at the time.

Liam Neeson Good Luck GIF

Bkdk

If I'm working in ubisoft, better cancel your pronouns on your bio and start looking for a gaming job in korea. Pretty big chance ubisoft won't survive till end of the year with 2 coming back to back AAA failure.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Ubisoft remains to appear completely oblivious as to what actually made Ghost of Tsushima a good game.

Clueless morons.

winjer

Gold Member
This is another good example of Ubisoft being disconnected from the real world.
All their crap with NFTs, the AAAA games....

They can probably sell the game where Yasuke teaches japanese fire and creates the foundation of the original rice kingdoms :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also if they add more cringy dialogues to the game, it will probably sell more.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Lol samurai's are not alive when ghost of tsuima take place

Were they not?

Were then Samurai not around during the Gempei Wars in the 12th century? Is Minamoto no Yoshitsune (born around 1159) not one of the most famous Samurai in history?

To be fair, I don't have many books on Japanese history, but I do have this one that is pretty clear Samurai existed in the 1100s. The book is even titled Samurai Civil War. Pretty clear, unless you know more than a scholar of Japanese history, in which case I'd love to hear it.

okfLMqE.jpeg

Last edited:
Were they not?

Were then Samurai not around during the Gempei Wars in the 12th century? Is Minamoto no Yoshitsune (born around 1159) not one of the most famous Samurai in history?

To be fair, I don't have many books on Japanese history, but I do have this one that is pretty clear Samurai existed in the 1100s. The book is even titled Samurai Civil War. Pretty clear, unless you know more than a scholar of Japanese history, in which case I'd love to hear it.

okfLMqE.jpeg

lol isn't Ghost Of Tsushima filled with inaccuracies though?

Shadows might end up having the more authentic world by default of actually being in a period where those ideas are even existing in, in Ghost, lots of shit they just added even though in 1274, some of those things didn't even exist.

Its like Sucker Punch wanted to make a game about a bunch of concepts that didn't exits yet, but also realllllly wanted to do one about the Mongol invasion lol
I loved Ghost, it nailed the feeling and the vibe, but yeah it’s hardly historically accurate for the period.

Ubi games make great worlds to look at, and expect it to be no exception, but recent AC games are also all let down but their crappy combat and stiff mechanics. I’m not sure I can bring myself to play another one after battling to enjoy Valhalla and ultimately abandoning it.

I really don't get the Ghost of Tsushima thing. As a PC gamer, I've found a lot of the Sony games overrated but Tsushima takes the cake. Just a typical snooze fest open-world game. And the setting was really dull I found. Other than the nice combat, I'd take most AC games over it. Pre-woke Ubisoft at least.

yurinka

Ubisoft seeks to replicate the success of Ghost of Tsushima in Japan with Assassin's Creed Shadows​

With this in mind, Shadows' head producer, Karl Onnée, says he is looking to replicate the success of Ghost of Tsushima in Japan with Assassin's Creed Shadows with an authentic product.
You are lying, he or Ubisoft never said that they hope to replicate GoT sales in Japan.

The gamesindustry.biz interviewer, not the producer, said that western games normally don't sell a lot in Japan, but GoT sales in Japan are an indicator of what it's possible to sell there for a western dev.

What the producer said is that since this AC game is set in Japan they hope to sell more than than with the previous AC games.

For context, AC Origins did 98,951 physical on PS4 in Japan and Mirage did 25,212 on PS5.

Total physical Ghost of Tsushima sales in the country were over 500,000.
As I remember the best selling AC game worldwide is Vallhalla (counting also digital). It would be interesting to see its sales in Japan.

Last edited:

Woopah

You are lying, he or Ubisoft never said that they hope to replicate GoT sales in Japan.

The gamesindustry.biz interviewer, not the producer, said that western games normally don't sell a lot in Japan, but GoT sales in Japan are an indicator of what it's possible to sell there for a western dev.

What the producer said is that since this AC game is set in Japan they hope to sell more than than with the previous AC games.

As I remember the best selling AC game worldwide is Vallhalla (counting also digital). It would be interesting to see its sales in Japan.
In terms of physical sales in Japan, Vahalla sold 61,345 on PS4.

The most popular games there were AC II and AC III, which both did around 150,000 physical between PS3 and 360.

As you say, Western games can do well in Japan. Aside from GoT, we saw GTA5, Minecraft, Apex Legends and Luigi’s Mansion 2/3 doing very well there.

Last year, Spiderman 2 and Hogwarts Legacy were in the top 3 PS5 games physically in Japan.

yurinka

In terms of physical sales in Japan, Vahalla sold 61,345 on PS4.

The most popular games there were AC II and AC III, which both did around 150,000 physical between PS3 and 360.
Ok thanks.

Well, we should add there the digitial copies (worldwide 80% of the total this past quarter in PS, and should be lower in Japan and for AC Vallhalla because the percentage keeps growing over time) and the PS5 copies. I don't think that in total, when adding digital and PS5 (plus maybe PC and Xbox copies), AC Valhalla achieved 150K in Japan but may be somewhere close, above 120K-130K.

As you say, Western games can do well in Japan. Aside from GoT, we saw GTA5, Minecraft, Apex Legends and Luigi’s Mansion 2/3 doing very well there.

Last year, Spiderman 2 and Hogwarts Legacy were in the top 3 PS5 games physically in Japan.
Yes, there are some rare cases but it's true that Japan is a weird market where most top games are local.

Regarding Luigi's Mansion, I bet 99% of its players doesn't know the country of its lead dev team.

Last edited:

Woopah

Ok thanks.

Well, we should add there the digitial copies (worldwide 80% of the total this past quarter in PS, and should be lower in Japan and for AC Vallhalla because the percentage keeps growing over time) and the PS5 copies. I don't think that in total, when adding digital and PS5 (plus maybe PC and Xbox copies), AC Valhalla achieved 150K in Japan but may be somewhere close, above 120K-130K.
PS5 version sold 4,227 physical copies first week so wouldn't have made much difference, but yes the digital PS4 copoed and PC will have added a few 10,000s more. I agree with your estimate

Yes, there are some rare cases but it's true that Japan is a weird market where most top games are local.

Regarding Luigi's Mansion, I bet 99% of its players doesn't know the country of its lead dev team.
People probably don't know about Luigi's Mansion, but I doubt it would change their decision to purchase. They wouldn't care about the nationality of the devs, just like they don't care about it for Fortnite or Minecraft.

It's more about the product itself than who makes it.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It's not bullshit at all.

Grand Theft Auto is art.

Watch_Dogs is a product.

Ubisoft games are rarely not a product.
If I wanted to advocate for video games being art, GTA would be very far down the list of games I’d use.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Just in case Ubisoft is preparing Shadows to be a launch title for Switch 2, if rumors are to be believed. So I can see it selling a good amount on that console there just because it'd be a launch title.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It'll sell because it's Assassin's Creed, but....

geary

For context, AC Origins did 98,951 physical on PS4 in Japan and Mirage did 25,212 on PS5.

Total physical Ghost of Tsushima sales in the country were over 500,000.
Now tell us how Origins sold in Egypt, compared with Odyssey or Valhalla, how Odyssey sold in Greece compared with Origins or Valhalla and how Valhalla sold in northern Europe/UK compared with Odyssey and Origins.

Woopah

Now tell us how Origins sold in Egypt, compared with Odyssey or Valhalla, how Odyssey sold in Greece compared with Origins or Valhalla and how Valhalla sold in northern Europe/UK compared with Odyssey and Origins.
We don't have charts for Greece and Egypt and the UK charts doesn't always give us numbers .

Valhalla was the 7th best selling UK game in the UK (usual caveats apply) in 2020. Origins ranked 4th in 2017 and sold 679,965

For Odyssey we only have physical numbers, but it ranked 14th in 2018 and sold 305,937.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hmm.

I enjoyed GoT for what it was. And I never thought it was historically accurate. The game had it's pros and cons- some stuff was getting repitive. Anyways the Kurosawa mode indicated that it's kind of inspired by movies. So it did have that vibe. DLC felt pretty fresh to me, and I thought the story was better than in main game.

AC: Shadows on the other hand I read the first article in which someone from Ubi claimed we will experience literally the history of Japan. Not like towns, some of historical events or historical characters. And now I see people talking like no one at Ubi has said that... And even Ubi is dodgy and doing a 180 on this. For me it's kind of funny.

That's basically what's wrong with AC: Shadows. Ubi has started to market it like it's literally based on a written history book. That and only that.

And since we're talking about taking liberty's with historical accuracy, nice research by Ubi when they even mix seasons in Japan, could be an error in Shadows trailer only, but I guess we will find out soon enough and it didn't inspire much confidence on japanese side of internet from what I basically scrolled through or watched some japanese vids. Some japanese were even praising Tsushima, while being negative about Shadows. They even brought back this article and mixing of seasons. Not Yasuke, not Black Samurai, not taking liberty's with weapons or bombs. This plus a bunch of other stuff. Some were mad they didn't get japanese male character, like in previous entries of the series. Which seems like a valid argument.

For me it's not day one. It's wait and see the reviews first. I'm just not convinced that AC: Shadows will be my cup of tea - since they started doing a it marketing with experience history of Japan as it was, to it's fiction but we have characters which are based on history. And that rap music bits, meh - Tsushima had amazing music and I dig Rise of The Ronin ost too but something seems off about this game on a bunch of levels. Maybe I will grab it at huge discount or extra cheap second hand... It all depends on reviews. Kunoichi vertical movement seemed pretty cool though.

BTW. I'm playing Rise of The Ronin right now and I absolutely enjoy combat, no climbing on huge towers to uncover the map, game is really responsive, even with totem raising and map clearence. Feels like a breath of fresh air from AC formula.

Surely some stuff sure gets repitive, like in GoT. And I don't think it's 100% historically accurate either... I mean English man flying with some kind of jet boots...

Anyways it fun, fresh, responsive - sometimes Rise of The Ronin reminds me a bit of The Witcher 3 in things like flames/lighting, wind, texture work, engine feel- anyways I didn't finished it yet and it got kind of confusing for me at the end so it has some cons too, not only pros I mean I once sided with shogunate and got a it's a definitive end talks from anti-shogunate characters while at war, and the next time I was in their base talking and doing anti-shogunate quests for them and they were only "like loook whoo it is", lol. It felt a bit dumb and confusing . But I poured like 100h and I'm at the end of the story I think. And I think its enjoyable for what it is and feels like devs did the game they wanted to do and it just clicks really well even if they are some things that get repitive or some performance issues.

And I don't think I will get this with AC: Shadows but I hope to be proven wrong but I have my doubts that this game will be unimmersive instead.

Last edited:
Ubisoft: Spends the past few months gaslighting Japanese gamers after releasing a trailer to their new game that shits on Japanese culture; which released to almost unanimous derision by the Japanese gamer base.

The same Ubisoft: "We're being respectful to Japanese history and culture and we want the Japanese player to look at our shitty game filled with modern western DEI politics and think "yes, this is my history!!"

These guys are fucking delusional.

Top Bottom