• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

Hm that doesn't seem like something Valve would do, but I'm sure they've the data to back up their decision. I probably shouldn't buy any more games this Fall, anyway, whatevs.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
And the change in Steam dailies flat out blows. Besides lessening the chances of pricing errors now that they remain flat, the change totally ruins the major draw of Steam sales for me: impulse buys.

I'd spend holidays seeing extended family, wrapping up conversations around sale switch time so I can scope things out. Games that weren't on my radar or games I really had no interest in would get scooped up just because of the shiny discount number and that ticking timer.

Now, it'll be just like the Halloween sale was this year. Look at in a list format. Check my wishlist. Never look at it again.
Your username suits your post perfectly, and my opinion too. It was really fun talking to my friends about the new dailies, flashes and community votes, getting excited when some good deal came up, all that stuff. Now there won't be a point to check the store every day and to spend a few bucks today, a couple more tomorrow and some more the following day. In fact, if I can't spend in little amounts, I probably won't buy even half of what I did during the previous sales (disregarding the discount quality and the fact that my library is much bigger than before) because looking at a huge number in the cart in a single instance will be much more psychologically demanding than several smaller ones over two weeks.

Bundles are all garbage now.

No more cheap games ever.

I'm going back to Neo Geo collecting.
I get your pain. I've gone back to the outdated and prehistoric hobby of... reading. Paper books, even.

Still haven't finished my copy of The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I plan on doing so before this year is done. Currently on chapter 13 (or so) of book 4. Douglas Adams was a fucking genius.

Jazz573

image.php

Dr Dogg

Eh I feel for ya Dogg, I say just get yourself a glass of brandy and forget all the craziness.
It would also help to troll and make such posters out as idiots for the fun of it though :V

I don't think I'd like the new tag that activity would probably attract.

I'm having a tough time reading anything about Battlefront. There's a segment of people in those threads that say criticizing the game is fine, but then become super passive aggressive about it in later posts. So many people come off as insincere.

Well first it was AssCreed that was getting shit, then it was Tomb Raider, then Fallout. Now peeps have moved on to Battlefiled and I'm sure they more abrasive ones will move on when peeps stop responding to them. They are some genuine criticisms to be had with the game that arose in the beta and I still saw in my time with in on EA Access but I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't have fun in the smaller game modes. Plus some of the gifs rico and others have posted in here show you can do some crazy and unexpected things with the game. Definitely a looker too but I think it will probably be better to wait until after Christmas to see how the community is holding up and what the first wave of new content has ins tore before even considering passing a verdict.

Bundles are all garbage now.

No more cheap games ever.

I'm going back to Neo Geo collecting.

1 copy of Windjammers = ~200 shit tier bundle games. Think of the +1's. Then again you can't beat a man to death with even a million bundle games but a single AES cart to the bonce would do the trick

Kifimbo

They'll go back the the old sales model if the revenues from the new model drops dramatically. Personally, I think revenues will indeed drop. By how much will depends how many deep discounts there will be.

Somehow, it feels like Humble Bundle and Steam are now trying to increase the long-term prices of games and slow the "discount process".

I know this change to steam sales takes the fun out of it, but I think its for the best. At least for me. I go into sales with a budget and I find it stressful trying to decide if I should buy a game I only sort of want that is in a daily or a flash sale, or wait for a game I want more. The past few sales its been disappointing that I skip buying a lower tier game only to have a game I want more never appear.

Now, first day, I can pull up my wish list and decide.

Dr Dogg

That odd feeling when you think 'hey why do half of these textures look like shite' and then realise that you did a clean driver install and nixed your 16xAF global settings in the process. Guess I just got the PS4 user experience first hand :p

Looks like the transition from USD to CLP went kinda bad in Chile.

I was checking the store and some games are more expensive than before. Also, for some reason they can't buy Skyrim or any Elder Scrolls games anymore. Proably happends with other games too.

A lot of doom and gloom about Steam Sale changes. It could get worse, it could get better, it could even stay about the same. I'll wait and see, that's it.
Ahh! Good ol' gang of human enemies with ridiculous stamina, tracking attacks, inconsistent poise, impossible attack cancelling and ridiculous health bars made bosses. And one of them is cosplaying Havel! How could you not love it.
To be honest all the challenge areas and bosses in the DLC are pretty bad. Still unsure which one I dislike the most.
Sadly I have to agree :'( I was hoping bosses would be better in DLC but about all are humanoid. Levels themselves are great for two of DLC but bosses are - once again - the big letdown. I don't know what to expect from DS3. Miyazaki wasn't that involved in DS2 I read, so there is hope.
Is that the group of humans fight in a cave?
Knowing your penchant for over leveling, I'm really not sure how you're having trouble with them solo.

You've beaten most of both of the souls games on PC at this point... and I know it wasn't all just power leveling until you could handle some of the tougher bosses... which makes me wonder what the problem is. :p
True that. I am Soul Level 231 at NG still but like you said, I didn't play explicitely in any way to level up. I just love to explore every little nook and cranny extensively. Trying to look out for secrets, differing enemy behaviour and tactics. Love to take screenshots as well. Happens to lead to enormous souls :p
And yes, especially in DLCs I fought almost all bosses alone, so while being far away from being a very skilled player, I don't think I suck toovmuch ;) These graverobbers are probably the most unimaginative "bosses" in the whole game though and that says a lot bearing in mind Ornstein is copy-pasted. Unlike other bosses these don't have any unique tactics to learn for beating them. Buraindo put it in best words. Erratic behaviour. Nothing to learn and adapt. I'll beat them for sure but once again it feels just cheap instead of a well designed challenge.
Such a shame as Shulva was so far my favourite DLC. Thank God after about 200 hours I learned just in time that Ring of Life Protection can be used indefinately or I would get mad for all the effigies being lost with the robbers, haha. I'm slow don't jugde ( ._.)
Will be adding a +1 to myself in a little over an hour or whatever date is listed as my join date on my profile (I joined GAF on my birthday, haha). Have a slice of cake~

P-potatoes (-_-')/
Checked profile and it's tomorrow the 20th but hey, happy early birthday!
I haven't seen more than half your drawings :eek: Pretty good I have to say.

XShagrath

Having no dailies sucks, but it also means I can get a full night's sleep during that time. My body has conditioned itself to wake itself up within 10 minutes of the flash switchovers.

I'll be sad if there's no daily/meta, but I can just hope this is only a test during the Autumn sale.

gabbo

Having no dailies sucks, but it also means I can get a full night's sleep during that time. My body has conditioned itself to wake itself up within 10 minutes of the flash switchovers.

I'll be sad if there's no daily/meta, but I can just hope this is only a test during the Autumn sale.

There could still be some sort of meta, but it wouldn't be attached to daily/flash deals.
Not that Valve has it in them to do more meta games for a sale these days

def sim

Thank you all~

Happy birthday, WinterDemons!

Well first it was AssCreed that was getting shit, then it was Tomb Raider, then Fallout. Now peeps have moved on to Battlefiled and I'm sure they more abrasive ones will move on when peeps stop responding to them. They are some genuine criticisms to be had with the game that arose in the beta and I still saw in my time with in on EA Access but I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't have fun in the smaller game modes. Plus some of the gifs rico and others have posted in here show you can do some crazy and unexpected things with the game. Definitely a looker too but I think it will probably be better to wait until after Christmas to see how the community is holding up and what the first wave of new content has ins tore before even considering passing a verdict.

Sure, I kept the game because I'm enjoying myself well enough and I think it's an impressive technical feat. I just wish people weren't so quick to apologize for its shortcomings and in such a snarky, insecure way. You're right, though, there are people that just want to poo poo whatever big game is out and they've been a blind spot for me in these situations for one reason or another. I shouldn't get myself hung up about all this.

Yup, it's retribution from making too many refunds during summer sale.

Thanks, everyone.
LLShC.gif

There could still be some sort of meta, but it wouldn't be attached to daily/flash deals.
Not that Valve has it in them to do more meta games for a sale these days

I dont think valve will be doing anything cool for sales now. Aside from Clicker they havent done much in years.

Your username suits your post perfectly, and my opinion too. It was really fun talking to my friends about the new dailies, flashes and community votes, getting excited when some good deal came up, all that stuff. Now there won't be a point to check the store every day and to spend a few bucks today, a couple more tomorrow and some more the following day. In fact, if I can't spend in little amounts, I probably won't buy even half of what I did during the previous sales (disregarding the discount quality and the fact that my library is much bigger than before) because looking at a huge number in the cart in a single instance will be much more psychologically demanding than several smaller ones over two weeks.

Ugh, I didn't even think about the part I bolded.

That's going to be an issue for me, too. I don't necessarily have buyer's remorse, but I have a serious case of buyer's hesitancy. Once the dollar amount crosses that undefined threshold, I'll sit on a cart, mull it, mull it more, consider pulling the trigger, and, more times than not, won't do it.

But I'll pop off 5 or 10 dollar bills on games I'm vaguely interested in, no problem. It takes a train for me to buy a game at full price but that has nothing to do with this new sale culture. I've always been that way. If I couldn't trade games in or take advantage of deals, I wouldn't buy.

Yup, it's retribution from making too many refunds during summer sale.

Yup, I have seen that :(

There's a lot of truth to this. Cuts down on the number of refund transactions, since there's no downside to buying now just in case, waiting for the daily, picking it up and refunding your first purchase.

They were faced with an overhaul of refunds or an overhaul of sales and simply went for the one they knew in their heart would piss me off personally the most.

Would love to know if there's anyone who hails from Columbia. The GameMaker Pro HTML5 DLC (normally $200) is on sale for nine cents.

Removing dailies from the Steam sale is idiotic, but I can kind of understand why they did it (due to refunds). Doubt it's going to work, though.

When is the Autumn Sale starting, anyway?

Jawmuncher

They'll go back the the old sales model if the revenues from the new model drops dramatically. Personally, I think revenues will indeed drop. By how much will depends how many deep discounts there will be.

Somehow, it feels like Humble Bundle and Steam are now trying to increase the long-term prices of games and slow the "discount process".
Yeah it does feel like they're trying to slow on sales which you know is one of the biggest benefits of PC gaming. Just gives more reason to go gray market or other avenues to the masses. But yeah I ultimately see it not panning out and trying something else later on.

Dr Dogg

The more important thing is what are we going to use in place of the 'WAIT FOR THE DAILIES YOU BASTARDS' gifs?

I finally got damn game to work.

For now (part before London) works way better than AC Unity.

Pixie dust or did you have to fix something?

dex3108

The more important thing is what are we going to use in place of the 'WAIT FOR THE DAILIES YOU BASTARDS' gifs?

Pixie dust or did you have to fix something?

To be honest i don;t know what exactly i did to fix it. I launched game in offline mode, overwrote save files and deleted CFG files and game started without crash. Then i went online and game crashed so i turned on DMZ on my router and it worked again. Now i will monitor situation and see if it is IP port issue, savegame issue or something else XD

ExoSoul

Banned
Will be adding a +1 to myself in a little over an hour or whatever date is listed as my join date on my profile (I joined GAF on my birthday, haha). Have a slice of cake~

Happy birthday Winter :D
Nice to see the whole collection, I never knew we had Granny Winter at some point xD

And on this day of days never forget: MURDER \o/

maty

While I'm probably in the minority, I don't mind not having dailies. The last few sales I've barely bought something that was displayed in the front page and most of my purchases where done on the last day for hidden games.

I do agree with Stump that in the future highlighted games will probably come from your wishlist with a few major games and a new release here and there.

I might be wrong but haven't the last few sales featured less and less games at 75% off and more at 66% or 50%. New releases never get bigger discounts than 33% (except SE games) and they take away space from other games that could be featured.

Do we really need to have dailies wasted on Fallout 4 or COD?

While there is a bit of fun in waiting for the dailies to refresh. I always read the same reactions:

"THIS SALE SUCKS"
"AWFUL DISCOUNTS"
"ONLY 50% OFF?"
"THE COMMUNITY VOTE IS SHIT!" (it is)
"YES, MAGICKA AGAIN :/"

etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom