• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

oipic

Lobbying runs america.

This may be true, but a very repugnant man has just been handed the ultimate platform from which to spout his unique form of barely-intelligible nonsense...and lobbies or not, we'll all need to endure this for the next four years.

Staggering result.

Too soon to speculate on the impact to global currencies, and the knock-on effect to regional Steam pricing?

You know, with Trump victory, there's a chance the dollar crash like the rubble. Gentlemen, surprise Steam sales in a few hours :")

Deadbeat

Banned
You know, with Trump victory, there's a chance the dollar crash like the rubble. Gentlemen, surprise Steam sales in a few hours :")
Hopefully that means cheaper gun imports from the states as well. Gotta start spending that christmas bonus preemptively.

edit: Anyone want to join me in mwo?

Annubis

Too soon to speculate on the impact to global currencies, and the knock-on effect to regional Steam pricing?

I'm no economist but hasn't there been a global recession pretty much every time the US dollar crashed?

Seems like the US stock exchange is dropping rapidly right now.

bjaelke

I blame Paradox for this. Both Stellaris and Tyranny have subliminal messages.

MakeSpaceGreatAgain.jpg

I was playing Baldur's Gate 2 when I got the news.
I can't bring myself to go back to the game now.

Fuckkkk. If I can't bring myself to play BG2, what hope does gaming have?

oipic

GG America you fucked it up

Genuine shock, disbelief and dismay among my colleagues here in Melbourne, Australia, who have been glued to the election coverage all day (not a productive work day here).

The US has long been seen as a dependable rock and an unquestionable ally and partner, but there are queries and concerns as to whether we really know and understand this 'new' US at all, and a lot of unknowns as to how we collectively 'move on' from here.

In the finance sector in which I work, there's some panicked scrambling going on to try to understand the fallout and implications of this. They're wide reaching - this may have been about 'making America great again', but the implications are global.

Uh, video games: I think this day, and the disenchantment of the masses that led to this result, will influence the narrative of many a video game during Trump's term.

Tellaerin

I don't even know what to think at this point.

They won the House and the Senate too.

I want to go to sleep tonight and wake up in 2020.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I've tried a few takes of this, but this is probably the only bit I'll say about it:

What I think terrifies many about what's next is that there is so much that's unknown. And, at this point, I don't feel confident telling you anything is guaranteed. I suppose that's what's really at the heart of what I've been thinking about: we are so very complacent and so very sure that progress is inevitable and that the march of time may be slow but it is always moving forwards.

But now it's time to earn it. If you don't want to be considered part of the mass of people comfortable with someone so bigoted running the country then you have got to start showing up. The next four years is going to be attrition and if you can't stand with transpeople, or people of color, or Muslims, or immigrants, and stand against whatever bogeyman is going to be trotted out to try and make you afraid, then Trump wins again and again.

And I'm already so very tired of him winning.

Durante

I guess the next step after Brexit and this is for us to elect Hofer in December. Fuck everything.

What I could have told you after 20 years of following Austrian elections (with the FPÖ consistently ending up at least 5% higher than the polls indicate) is that the "closet racist/regressive who doesn't want to admit voting for the racist/regressive choice when polled" is a real thing.

derFeef

I guess the next step after Brexit and this is for us to elect Hofer in December. Fuck everything.

What I could have told you after 20 years of following Austrian elections (with the FPÖ consistently ending up at least 5% higher than the polls indicate) is that the "closet racist/regressive who doesn't want to admit voting for the racist/regressive choice when polled" is a real thing.

I also have a bad feeling about this. I do not want to call people stupid, but goddamn don't they see what's going on? Everytime the same story.

I don't feel like purchasing Tyranny at this moment now that I, along with others, are pretty much living it...but hey, didn't cost me a penny.

oipic

I've tried a few takes of this, but this is probably the only bit I'll say about it:

What I think terrifies many about what's next is that there is so much that's unknown. And, at this point, I don't feel confident telling you anything is guaranteed. I suppose that's what's really at the heart of what I've been thinking about: we are so very complacent and so very sure that progress is inevitable and that the march of time may be slow but it is always moving forwards.

But now it's time to earn it. If you don't want to be considered part of the mass of people comfortable with someone so bigoted running the country then you have got to start showing up. The next four years is going to be attrition and if you can't stand with transpeople, or people of color, or Muslims, or immigrants, and stand against whatever bogeyman is going to be trotted out to try and make you afraid, then Trump wins again and again.

And I'm already so very tired of him winning.

So well said, thank you for articulating my feelings (and I'm sure the thoughts of many) so very well. Your turn of phrase is exemplary, 'Bus.

After just one acceptance speech from the President Elect, yep, I'm loathing this already.

Stay strong, good people.

Ucchedavāda;223760379 said:
Stay safe USgaf. I hope you won't experience the same kind of bigoted and violent fallout that followed the Brexit vote.
It's coming... People chanting KILL OBAMA at the Trump rally tonight...

As said, the unknown is what scares me. Republicans have control of literally everything now for the first time since 1928. And we all know what happened then.

oipic

It's coming... People chanting KILL OBAMA at the Trump rally tonight...

Really!? Wowsers, that is really something. I guess I shouldn't be surprised... but, well, there are no words.

For what it's worth, the widely-held view of Obama in Australia is that he is the consummate gentleman and the most classy of statesmen - i.e. the polar opposite of his successor. The stark contrast is going to be jarring.

From what I've been following of EU politics and upcoming elections (it's something I have to do as part of my job..) I can tell you that unfortunately your 5% could well be optimistic..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom