• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regginator

SC - Connected to Orson Scott Card, bigot and assclown
Ethan Carter - GamerGate supporter devs
Adrift - Adam "Why would you want to live there?" Orth, online DRM advocate

Ouch, thanks! The first two I can definitely understand boycotting. But did that Orth fellow say anything else except advocating for DRM? Granted, "why would you live there?" is very narrow minded thing to say, but it feels rather small compared to being a bigot and GG supporter.

rtcn63

ibn Saïd;223624207 said:
honestly i didn't mind the batmobile that much. i thought knight had the weakest non-coherent main story, uninspired side quests, and a severe lack of boss battles.

it could have easily been the best of the bunch if it nailed those, but alas.

I actually didn't mind the actual driving over rappelling to get around. But the game just isn't all that compelling, I've only put a few hours into and it's... like I'll get back to it whenever.

Phawx

The Ender series is hilarious. The first book is good and the second book is okay. It seems like when Orson Scott Card got greenlit to do a third and fourth book he decided that was his best time to stand on his soapbox and inject his politics in his books.

The line in the third book was along the lines of, "it was proven that society worked better when a man and woman waited to have sex until after they were married."

It's so cringey when authors/creative types shim their politics into their stories when it's such a hamfisted way of pseudo propaganda / wish fulfillment.

If you are going to inject your way of thinking into games/books/movies/stories, it better have a place in the beginning/middle/end of the story otherwise it's going to stand out like a sore thumb and it deserves to be criticized.

Edit: I will say that if you avoid playing Shadow Complex because of it's relationship to Orson Scott Card, you're spiting yourself. It's an excellent short metroidvania when I can honestly only remember the gameplay and none of the story. Truth be told, I don't actually know what the story of Shadow Complex *is*. It's a fun-ass game though.

No money for shitbags. :)
The best way to get these games.

vzetLEU.png

pettiness.jpeg lol

I would only drop the price down to zero if I had zero intention of ever playing the game.

I didn't buy the second tier of that bundle because I refuse to play Ethan Carter. Maybe if I really wanted to play Adrift I would buy it and never use the Ethan Carter key...oh well.
It's hard being a member of the Authoritarian Left!

Orgen

Has Killing Floor an story mode or something like that? Or is just co-op bang bang on several maps? And is Adr1ft worth it without VR?

Thanks!

Has Killing Floor an story mode or something like that? Or is just co-op bang bang on several maps? And is Adr1ft worth it without VR?

Thanks!

Klling Floor is similar to L4D. Multiplayer co-op is the only sensible way to play, with a story so light as to be nonexistent. KF's big difference is how progression-based and class-focused it is.

Wok

I don't understand the idea behind boycotting a work which does not hold any political view for the sole reason that one of creators holds different political views or controversial/extremist ideas.

If you boycott, you want to send a message to a state or a company, by saying "hey, you should change your policy, otherwise I stop buying your goods".

It does not work with individuals, you should not try to change ideas with money, the tools should be debate and education. People will still have their extremist ideas but will just keep that secret.

Yeah, but there's also enough art out there that I don't have to consume the garbage made by garbage, either.

It's an equation that's different for everyone, for sure, and my thresholds are lower than many people's, but I get it.

Yes, that makes more sense. So you set the slider to zero, because you have no intent of playing the game for an accumulation of reasons (no interest in that game, backlog, not supporting the studio, etc.).

MUnited83

For you.
I don't understand the idea behind boycotting a work which does not hold any political view for the sole reason that one of creators holds different political views or controversial/extremist ideas.

It really isn't that hard to understand. The less those people get of my money, the better.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Yeah, but there's also enough art out there that I don't have to consume the garbage made by garbage, either.

It's an equation that's different for everyone, for sure, and my thresholds are lower than many people's, but I get it.

Corpekata

Banned

Really? No lines in the sand you would define?

I personally am fine with never giving money to say, Mel Gibson ever again, even if I like his directing on a technical level.

MaxiLive

SC - Connected to Orson Scott Card, bigot and assclown
Ethan Carter - GamerGate supporter devs
Adrift - Adam "Why would you want to live there?" Orth, online DRM advocate

Even so 1 person on each team is a bit of a fool it means all the devs are associated as being dirtbags who don't deserve to get paid?

I mean each to their own for where your money goes on those bundles but its the lamest way to go about it.

If you boycott, you want to send a message to a state or a company, by saying "hey, you should change your policy, otherwise I stop buying your goods".

It does not work with individuals, you should not try to change ideas with money, the tools should be debate and education. People will still have their extremist ideas but will just keep that secret.

Yes, that makes more sense. So you set the slider to zero, because you have no intent of playing the game for an accumulation of reasons (no interest in that game, backlog, not supporting the studio, etc.).

It's not a boycott, it's that I have no interest in playing a writing and story driven game from the mind of someone who thinks that Gamergate was actually a bunch of pretty cool dudes who were just speaking the truth to the powerful totalitarian Liberals who didn't want to hear it.

I love story driven games and walking sims, and at first Ethan Carter looked right up my alley, but now I genuinely don't even want to see what the game looks like. I'm completely uninterested.

Wok

It's not a boycott, it's that I have no interest in playing a writing and story driven game from the mind of someone who thinks that Gamergate was actually a bunch of pretty cool dudes who were just speaking the truth to the powerful totalitarian Liberals who didn't want to hear it.

I love story driven games and walking sims, and at first Ethan Carter looked right up my alley, but now I genuinely don't even want to see what the game looks like. I'm completely uninterested.

Yes, it is the same idea which is behind morningbus' motivation.

What I don't understand is more of this kind of opinion:

The best way to get these games.

So one gets the Steam key for free, maybe even activates the game on Steam, which does not give any revenue to the creators, but still increases their stats on SteamSpy and helps them get future investors. And the game might even be played in the end.

There is no impact whatsoever: I doubt the devs would notice much of a difference, and even if they do, it won't change their views. So It is just providing a good feeling to the consumer, but it is meaningless in the end.

Sometimes it's not about sending a message. It's just about you and your buying habits.

Alright, I get it now. I still find it a bit irrational in the case that the consumer is still interested in playing the game.

He gets to play the games legally without having to contribute to douchebags. Seems fine to me.

I understand it now.

Actually, now that I think about it, I did not buy Gremlins Inc. and the main reason is that the game has always-online-DRM. Now, if the game were to be featured in a Humble bundle, would I play with the slider? I don't know.

Yes, it is the same idea which is behind morningbus' motivation.

What I don't understand is more of this kind of opinion:

I can see it where the opinions of the game creator drive down the value you would give to it so much that it would only be worth a few pennies to you, if that.

Like, if a game has terrible DRM, that drives down the value of the game. Lots of people in the Denuvo Dishonored 2 threads saying they'll wait for the game to be $20. That's just a personal value thing. It's not about boycott, it's about how much something is worth to you.

In my opinion, a game worth that little to you isn't worth playing, but that's just how I see it.

So one gets the Steam key for free, maybe even activates the game on Steam, which does not give any revenue to the creators, but still increases their stats on SteamSpy and help them get future investors. And the game might even be played in the end.

Sometimes it's not about sending a message. It's just about you and your buying habits.

Zeeman

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zeeman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Killing Floor -- MB-C324449DE092ABB6 - Taken by texhnolyze. 2 entrants total.

t1478647655z1.png

Spare. No DLC with this one, I used it already.

KingKong

not giving money to Shadow Complex because of its minor connection to Orson Scott Card is just stupid

well so is being concerned about online DRM in the Steam thread

Deadbeat

Banned
Even so 1 person on each team is a bit of a fool it means all the devs are associated as being dirtbags who don't deserve to get paid?
Pettiness aside, consumers have the choice how to spend their money. It doesn't have to be within your expectations nor anyone else's.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm still not sure why anyone would call Chmielarz a GG supporter.
He's not sure as well.
i skimmed that cos it wasn't too interesting

not really sure what the story here was and why everyone got mad at him, i think the way he talks about "alledged gamergate victims" or talking about "ethical journalism being all that's needed for gamergate to disappear" kind of don't make him a very likeable person but honestly who cares what this guy thinks, afaik he's not threatening anyone or spreading gamergate propaganda or whatever

like brian fargo giving an interview to a gamergate site, you can be kind of shit about this stuff and still be an alright person that's talented and makes games worth playing and whatnot

doesn't mean i'll feel very inclined to back wasteland 3 (and in fact i withrew my pledge cos whatever, i didn't even like wasteland 2 that much), but eh

mp1990

Banned

I agree with this. Until last year, I was of the opinion that the creator's views on politics and such didn't matter as long as his work was interesting enough for me, but nowadays, there's so many games and stuff I want to consume that, whenever someone with openly shitty views release something, I usually just overlook it right away. Obviously, there are cases and cases, but I see nothing wrong with him not wanting to give his money to those people.

zkylon

zkylewd
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (zkylon, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Killing Floor Chickenator DLC -- MB-719C30E3F2A60ECB - Taken by lolcatz
Killing Floor -- MB-34FF79AA88461A3A - Taken by Belgarion
Dangerous Golf -- MB-D106BA3A7570A2EB - Taken by voodooray
Killing Floor Community Weapon Pack 1 DLC -- MB-D8A7A666D6A73C71
Killing Floor Community Weapon Pack 2 DLC -- MB-87E28343048807E9
Killing Floor Community Weapon Pack 3 DLC -- MB-DACC8E7373A3800C
paid in gamergate blood

i don't have any of these but they look as unappealing to me as any piece of game can be

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I was hoping for more timely reviews on Tyranny. I guess I'll wait until the Winter (or maybe Summer?) sale to pick it up.

Not that I'm not excited for it, but I just don't have time with Civ still being awesome and you know.. actual IRL holidays incoming very quickly. Oh and like my wedding and shit to plan.

If it wasn't for GAF I wouldn't even know GamerGate was a thing or that it's been going on for nearly two years now(?). I still don't know what it's about beyond having bits and pieces bubble up through the ether of the interwebz and then it's usually pretty disgusting behaviour that makes the internet and social media look like sort of a giant mistake that we should just wrap up.

If it wasn't for GAF I wouldn't even know GamerGate was a thing or that it's been going on for nearly two years now(?). I still don't know what it's about beyond having bits and pieces bubble up through the ether of the interwebz and then it's usually pretty disgusting behaviour that makes the internet and social media look like sort of a giant mistake that we should just wrap up.

Me too, I learned GG from Gaf. But I still have no idea what exactly it is.

One thing I'm sure of is that I'd better stay out of GG discussions on Gaf.

Orgen

Klling Floor is similar to L4D. Multiplayer co-op is the only sensible way to play, with a story so light as to be nonexistent. KF's big difference is how progression-based and class-focused it is.

You will get bored/annoyed playing Killing Floor one-player. The difficulty and encounters are designed for co-op.

Understood, thanks! And what about Adr1ft? Is still good not using any VR headset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom