• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Happy birthday to you!

As you all know, I have more than 10k games marked as "Not Interested" on Steam. I want to remove from that list games that I end up owning (bundles happen, I am sure you understand). It turns out it should be quite easy: there is a webpage with appIDs of:
  • rgOwnedApps
  • rgIgnoredApps
I have just to take the intersection of these lists.

People have made a Chrome javascript to try to reset the "Not Interested" list. I won't use this of course.

god my rgIgnoredApps is so long it's glorious

Jawmuncher

Happy birthday Jawmuncher.
2306694557289676814vpqr.png

dishonored 2 OT is up

subtitle was gonna be "Make Karnaca Dead Again" but im tired of bans

also bittersweet making it cause due to some shit im broke and wont be playing it in the near future, oh well, 680 probably woulda had a hard time with it

I legit thought you went off the grid to hide from the police

Teggy

Was messing around with high chaos Dishonored tonight. Feels like a very different game just walking up and killing dudes.

They should release games at 8pm eastern instead of midnight. I know that makes no sense, but I hate midnight release. Heck, release stuff at 6am so I am not tempted to stay up late.

Volimar

God Off Topic is going to be depressing as hell for the near future. I think the election actually put Tyranny on my radar.

And now my GeForce Experience update keeps failing.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
If am partially thankful for something, it is that more people will notice Tyranny and play it. It looks really awesome and I am excited to have more time in the coming year to play it. Prolly Jan/Feb, I am guessing.

Wok

I have continued messing around with appIDs by checking apps detected by Steam but not detected by Astats.nl (mostly DLC and soundtracks) and apps detected by Astats.nl but not by Steam (mostly F2P games and demos after I removed them from my account). I have found an explanation for something that has been bugging me for some time: the fact that the counts of perfect games are not equal on Steam and on Astats. I think Steam counts as different perfect games the base games and the DLC, so I suspect I get 2 perfect games on Steam for completing The Walking Dead Season 1 (base game + 400 days DLC), but only 1 perfect game on Astats. Similarly, I suspect I get 1 perfect game for completing Hamilton's Adventure on Steam (base game), but zero on Astats because I am missing one DLC achievement. I am not 100% certain, it would require experiments with SAM or with a fresh Steam account for confirmation.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of bjaelke, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bjaelke, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Tyranny -- MB-795CCF9CF96EA842 - Taken by hannes. 162 entrants total.

t1478797677z1.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, this four item limit in Dead Rising 3's Nightmare mode is already annoying the hell out of me and I'm nearly Chapter 4 of 7.

I know there's an upgrade path for that, but I'm putting points into the vehicles because goddamn if it isn't annoying how short they last given you can just mow through zombies and be slowed.

PaulSane

Xanadu Next is really good - it's a little bit too oldschool for me in places, but despite that i'm having a blast playing it. It also reminds me a lot of this old russian game Evil Islands, both mechanically and visually, which is a huge plus in my book.

The part i don't like about it is having to fiddle with the items on a hotbar when i need to perform some actions - for example, having to equip a glove to break rocks blocking a path. The same hotbar houses potions and trinkets with various effects - but you can also use any potions directly from the inventory. Oh, and this hotbar only has 4 slots - so you basically choose between having an effect like a chance to poison enemies and the ability to press "1" to use healing potion instead of going to your inventory and clicking on it in the middle of combat - and i find this very frustrating, it's just a terrible design in my opinion.

Other than that, the game feels and plays great, combat feedback is "meaty", puzzles and secrets are pretty easy to solve\find, but it's still fun to do so.

Over the 10 hours of play, the game crashed on me once, and since you can only save in specific places in the world, i would have lost almost 2 hours of progress - only to find out that the game actually uses an autosave which can be loaded ONLY when the game wasn't exited properly - so basically it has a built-in workaround in case of crashes, which is fine, but i'd still prefer it not crashing altogether :)

Jadax

Quick tech question -

I'm travelling so using my old i3-380m, 4gb ram laptop. Now if I increase the ram to 8gb - will this help improve my gaming performance. I realise cpu heavy games will still suck, and graphics requiring games is a different matter - but games like hearthstone, diablo 3 etc (basically, oldschool-ish) games, will they improve performance-wise?

Or should I just not spend the money buying a new memory card which is actually quite expensive since 1066Mhz ones aren't manufactured a lot.

I forgot that GOG has a preload option. Curious to see if it's any better/faster at unpacking than Steam. Because man, unpacking is the worst.
Now you'll all be onto me when it's actually my birthday.

I can keep the cake though, right?

You have to buy the cake, but, yes, you get to keep it.

SteamGAF is nothing if not fair.
Quick tech question -

I'm travelling so using my old i3-380m, 4gb ram laptop. Now if I increase the ram to 8gb - will this help improve my gaming performance. I realise cpu heavy games will still suck, and graphics requiring games is a different matter - but games like hearthstone, diablo 3 etc (basically, oldschool-ish) games, will they improve performance-wise?

Or should I just not spend the money buying a new memory card which is actually quite expensive since 1066Mhz ones aren't manufactured a lot.
As I understand it:
RAM will improve loadtimes primarily. In terms of computer quality of life and multitasking it will be a godsend, but if you already meet the recommended RAM requirements for the games you list then you'll likely see little improvement, unless your system is eating up a lot of RAM for some reason (background processes, mainly).

Jimrpg

Well bit the bullet on Humble Monthly and the Humble Unreal Engine Bundle ($1) today. Been waiting on Dragon's Dogma for the whole year and this seemed like the cheapest it was going to get. I tried to pick it up in the BST thread it got sold out way too quick.

I also picked up Skyrim Legendary Edition to get the SE a couple of weeks ago, so I'm really overwhelmed with so many RPG games on Steam.

Monooboe

Xanadu Next might be my GOTY. This game is classic Falcom crack.

Hmh sounds like I should get Xanadu. It seems to a game that can be run on even shit hardware. What is "Falcom crack", I've never really played anything Falcom.

Cheapest place to get Xanadu?

Tizoc

Hmh sounds like I should get Xanadu. It seems to a game that can be run on even shit hardware. What is "Falcom crack", I've never really played anything Falcom.

Assuming it is still on sale atm, Traders are your best bet. A few could offer it for $15 last I checked :X

I might not go so far as to call it my overall GotY, but it's certainly on the list.

That's cool~

Tizoc

Aah, hmh saw it being 10% of still at humble store and steam, think I'll bite on humble store and get that 5% back to my wallet.:D

Enjoy mate, just remember to stock up on keys.
Lots of keys.
Also buy the bone knife from the red clothed warrior whenever you see her, you'll thank us later.

Nabs

Humble I guess. If you haven't played a falcom ARPG, I highly recommend the Ys games on Steam (Origins & Felghana). Both are fantastic, and they get really cheap during sales.

Monooboe

Enjoy mate, just remember to stock up on keys.
Lots of keys.
Also buy the bone knife from the red clothed warrior whenever you see her, you'll thank us later.

Thanks for the tips! Will keep it in mind. Tried it out just to see how it runs, and I think I'm going to like it.

Humble I guess. If you haven't played a falcom ARPG, I highly recommend the Ys games on Steam (Origins & Felghana). Both are fantastic, and they get really cheap during sales.

Ah yeah I've been meaning to try them out, I think I even have one of them but haven't tried it out yet. Need to bump them up in my backlog.:D

Ascheroth

Quick guide to Falcom games on Steam:

If you've never played anything Falcom, definitely check out the Ys series. Either Origin and Oath in Felghana are great entry points. After that there's Ys: Ark of Napishtim, which is the weakest of the 3D Ys games, but still a good game.
There's also Ys 1 & 2 for the oldschool Ys experience in 2D. They have a different combat system than the 3D ones and are more vague in terms of 'where do I have to go next?'.

Other then that, for turn-based RPG goodness check out the Trails in the Sky games. They're very story- and dialogheavy games with great characters (even town NPCS have their own lifes you learn about), story and absolutely amazing worldbuilding. The story starts slow (too slow for some :/), but the payoff is absolutely worth it.
The first one took me 60 hours, the second 90.

And then there's Gurumin, which is their weakest offer on Steam (also the only one not handled by XSeed). It's somewhat similiar to Ys, but not as refined and technically not up to par compared to the rest (1080p30fps lock...). Still, it's worth checking out if you can get it for cheap and you are done with all other Falcom games : p

Also all of them have GOAT soundtracks. Literally all of them. Every single one.
Ys Origin
Ys 1 & 2
Xanadu Next
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky

I only have two games in my top sellers list... Civ 6 and Heavensword.

I just removed Heavensword.

NinjaEdit: Oh, I found a way to see the actual top sellers. Dishonored 2, getting savaged by reviews it looks like, is in No. 1, while Tyranny is No. 2. Most interesting thing is that Divinity: Original Sin 2 is in No. 9 for some reason; I'm glad it's doing well.

Im a bit lttp, but i played some games from the Halloween sale and id like to thank Dusk Golem for the OT and for bringing me some really great little games id have never played without its mentioning.

header.jpg

Dead End Road
The Rogue-like Racing Horror game you never knew you wanted. You made a deal with the devil, now you must race to Dead End Road in order to have your wish fulfill and dispel the evil after you! Has multiple endings, a ton of secrets and surprisingly deep mechanics (you can pick up hitch hikers, upgrade your systems, and much more). It can be surprisingly tense and challenging, but quite a bit of fun.

That game feels like a Amiga Test Drive John Carpenter’s In the Mouth of Madness mod. Very unique experience. A steal even in its regular pricing (2,99$).

header.jpg
header.jpg

The Last Door Season 1 & 2
A criminally underlooked point'n'click horror gem. Follow a man who's childhood friend commits suicide, leading us to investigate deeper into his; and ours, present, past, & future. With strong Lovecraft & Edgar Alan Poe tones. Don't let the pixel style deter you, this game has a fantastic story, good scares, great atmosphere, & good puzzles. Was released episodically over a few years & two seasons, but the final episode of it all was released earlier this year, so it's now complete.

Very rough pixel art, but you get into it fast.

header.jpg

Rusty Lake Hotel
You are on a quaint hotel on a lake with anthropomorphic animals. Murder is afoot, can you escape? Witty writing, good puzzles, and a touch of David Lynch-esque surrealism.

Very morbid and charming flash based game. I like the characters, drawings and paintings very much. (1,99$)
-------

The quotes are from the Halloween sale thread by Dusk Golem. http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1302351

These kind of games make PC gaming great to me, sometimes rough, clunky but in the core well implemented mechanics + great artwork and sound, and often charming as hell.

I still have to play Oxenfree, Fran Bow (demo was great) and Soma.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I got Oxenfree in that bundle - only played a little of it so far but I have to say I really like the style of it. Looking forward to playing more.

Durante

People buying to prepare for Hofer getting elected?
Some (luckily very few, mostly in the "intellectual bubble" :p) friends of the family are Hofer supporters. The most amazing thing is that they apparently complained loudly about Americans electing Trump. Pointing out that the entire mindset is at least 90% shared between that movement and Hofer did have some impact.

derFeef

Some (luckily very few, mostly in the "intellectual bubble" :p) friends of the family are Hofer supporters. The most amazing thing is that they apparently complained loudly about Americans electing Trump. Pointing out that the entire mindset is at least 90% shared between that movement and Hofer did have some impact.

I noticed that too. Maybe that has a bit of an effect. Hopefully.

T-Rex.

Banned
Anyone else having issues with FM 17? I load it up from Steam and it says it's running, but nothing's happening. Every other game is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom