• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Mad Father is definitely not using RPG Maker.

What does it use then?

edit: Nevermind, it's using WOLF.
http://www.moddb.com/engines/wolf-rpg-editor

Honestly while I get the technical reason for specifying it is Wolf Editor RPG rather than RPG Maker, Wolf Editor works quite similarly to it and from someone playing it uninformed would probably think it was an RPG Maker game, so I just sort of consider all Wolf Editor games to be part of the RPG Maker boom. Wolf Editor has some differences and by different people, but then there's other games not made with RPG Maker that did become part of the movement these type of games started to have (especially in the horror and surreal genres) in the 2010s.

Hektor

That sounds great! Does it feel linear? Are there other things to do? I mean I often want to take a break from the main thing and just wander around and do sidequests in CRPGs.

There aren't really a lot of side quests in the game outside a tiny handful.
And even those are as I said very connected to the main story.

It kinda feels linear in the sense that I'm following a path but a path that is a result of my past decisions and my allegiance to certain factions. One I could break out off if I wanted to.

At least there's a very tempting betray alliance button in a lot of dialogue options.

Ludens

Banned
Completed Deadly Tower of Monsters (free with Plus) which I started two weeks ago or so.
The game is...nice. Let's say it fits the Plus formula pretty well, but 15€ as base price is too much, in my opinion. The game is very short, but it's not a bad thing, since it's pretty much all of the same and I got bored after one hour (in fact I took a lot of time to clear it).
The idea is nice, but the director's commentary bored me to death after a while.
Another big "no" is the fact the game's checkpoints are not really well placed. Like, you have a checkpoint before a boss, but to reach him you need to take an elevator (the ride is 10 seconds long) and see a cutscene you can't skip (you can just fast-forward it). So everytime you die, you need to waste a lot of time for nothing.

Knurek

Honestly while I get the technical reason for specifying it is Wolf Editor RPG rather than RPG Maker, Wolf Editor works quite similarly to it and from someone playing it uninformed would probably think it was an RPG Maker game, so I just sort of consider all Wolf Editor games to be part of the RPG Maker boom.

Yeah, but you wouldn't consider GameMaker Studio and ClickTeam Fusion to be the same thing despite both being great at making the same type of games?

Wok

Some boss battles in Owlboy are really hard. And the introductions to these battles are unskippable.

Monooboe

There aren't really a lot of side quests in the game outside a tiny handful.
And even those are as I said very connected to the main story.

It kinda feels linear in the sense that I'm following a path but a path that is a result of my past decisions and my allegiance to certain factions. One I could break out off if I wanted to.

At least there's a very tempting betray alliance button in a lot of dialogue options.

Oh that does sound interesting. Seems they are pushing the genre in that aspect, feels like it was realy needed. It is one of my favorites genres and I would love to see it continue to evolve in complexity.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

BlazeRush -- MB-FEF1A8CC2812016E - Taken by Chairmanchuck

finished Fran Bow, easily one of the best point and click adventures Ive played in ages. Imagine a David Cronenberg version of Alice in Wonderland, it goes from creepy and disturbing to magical and fantastical to utterly bizarre. Great story depending on how you view the events, good puzzles that arent too cryptic, good lenght, amazing visual design. Fantastic all around, highly recomended.

Steam keeps recommending it to me. I keep meaning to buy it. Not sure why I haven't bitten yet.

A reaction based marble roller.

Simple marble roller where the ball bounces between two walls and you have to get you timing right to move onto the next branch. Each level adds a new branch, level 1 has 1 branch, level 10 has 10 etc... That's the game. You also collect crystals for no purpose whatsoever.

The game has 6 achievements and you can 100% the game in about 4 minutes, you might even finish the game in 2-3 minutes. You get an achievement for starting the game and even one for turning the sound off.

While the game works fine and is fun enough the whole idea is completely underdeveloped and feels like a prototype. It's not bad but steam could really use a 'meh' category for stuff like this.

Edit: Hold on, is there some sort of time played required to post an official review? Is my 4 minutes not enough? The window to paste the review into is missing.

Arminsc

My mouse is dying, LMB is not registering sometimes.

Any recommendations for cheap (under 30$) good gaming mouses?

I recently got a SteelSeries Rival 100 and while it is a bit more expensive (got it for 34€) I find it really confortable. It's lighter than my previous one (a logitech g600) and while I thought it wasn't going to like a ligher mouse better, I did.
You also customize the led color, which is something I personally enjoy haha

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This War of Mine got some new content (free)

That success has given our company amazing opportunities to grow and explore new projects, such as Frostpunk, and that’s only possible because of the people who believed in This War of Mine in the first place," reads a Steam Community update. This War of Mine's Anniversary Edition is somewhat of a thank you, then, and brings with it three new locations, new civilians, a new ending scenario, and new achievements.

I really need to get back to it, I loved what I played. Whats this Frostpunk game they mention tho, never heard of it.

mp1990

Banned
OG5M9Nv.jpg

this is... okay...

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
If the DLC keys are not included, send me a PM :)

Enjoy!

Edit: Game could be cut, I'm not sure

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hannes, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Killing Floor -- MB-F0D88745495343C8

t1479141616z1.png

Spent a bit of the morning reading the comment section for the Carmageddon kickstarter, and I'm suprised that there isn't more fuzz about that on forums and on the gaming sites.

*No physical rewards shipped.
*No DRM free versions shipped.
*Nothing done about the Mac version.
*Nothing done about the Linux version.
*But a console version, that wasn't planned during the kickstarter, developed and shipped.
*Radio silence from the devs about these issues.

That's at least the impression I got. Maybe there's more to it then what I saw, but it sure seems like a complete mess.

I had to go check and this is mostly correct. I back the digital version and got the digital version and Max Damage. It hasn't been complete radio silence. They talked about physical rewards were being resourced because of horrible quality a few months ago. DRM free versions are still coming via GOG. Mac and Linux hasn't been talked about in years.

Anno

I think the game will sell well enough in time just due to how good it is. Bethesda did it no favors, though. The series was already not the highest selling for the amount of polish and money that must go into it.

I recently got a SteelSeries Rival 100 and while it is a bit more expensive (got it for 34€) I find it really confortable. It's lighter than my previous one (a logitech g600) and while I thought it wasn't going to like a ligher mouse better, I did.
You also customize the led color, which is something I personally enjoy haha

Looks really nice, I might get that model too, I really like the design ( not a fan of those gaming mouse really edge and with lots of lights designs ).

Phinor

Now they also have a shit port to contend with.

This is the worst right now, good games will eventually sell thanks to word of mouth but the PC version isn't doing well in that regard. One of my most anticipated games of the year and now it's sitting in my Steam library, waiting to be fixed so I can actually enjoy moving in that game.

Overwatch, as a new IP, had a huge splash in the market, while the sequels to two fairly well-received new IPs are just causing ripples.

It's pure speculation, but the trend of having iterative games end up being mostly repackages might be impacting this, even if that's not the case here.

Turning a corner on that?

Is anyone even surprised that AAA games arent selling that well this year?

I mean I would love to buy a lot, but right now I didnt even buy Deus Ex MD, because far too much are coming out.

In October we got Warhammer, Mafia 3, Gears of War 4, Shadow Warrior 2, BF1, Civ6, Titanfall 2, DB Xenoverse 2, Skyrim Remastered. All on PC. If you have a console you still would have DQ Builders, World of FF.

Is anyone even surprised that AAA games arent selling that well this year?

I mean I would love to buy a lot, but right now I didnt even buy Deus Ex MD, because far too much are coming out.

In October we got Warhammer, Mafia 3, Gears of War 4, Shadow Warrior 2, BF1, Civ6, Titanfall 2, DB Xenoverse 2, Skyrim Remastered. All on PC. If you have a console you still would have DQ Builders, World of FF.

I also think AAA PC games are getting increasingly more competition from indie or budget-priced games in terms of price to content, to the point that they make bland sandbox games or games with tons of filler a lot less appealing value wise. Case in point, I'd never buy Skyrim Remastered in a world where Age of Decadence and Tyranny exist.

Anno

I also think AAA PC games are getting increasingly more competition from indie or budget-priced games in terms of price to content, to the point that they make bland sandbox games or games with tons of filler a lot less appealing value wise. Case in point, I'd never buy Skyrim Remastered in a world where Age of Decadence and Tyranny exist.

Yeah this is me. I've bought four AAA games this year which is more than I think the last 3 years combined, but I don't see that happening regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom