• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

I don't think devs are halfassing those options honestly.
Simply those console are not powerful enough to perform with locked framerate/resolution.
I mean, the original PS4 can reach 1080p/60 fps only for some titles, while the majority of games are 30 fps and not even locked.
Before thinking to 4K, they should fix that. I think Pro is capable of that, but the real problem is now the next big thing is 4K, and people expect solid performances out of a 400€ console. So devs are "forced" to include options like the ones in Rise of Tomb Raider and Ni-Oh. But I'm not talking about res/framerate only, but even the fact consolle today need to mess with 20 GB day one patches, firmware updates, maintenance of services, subscriptions etc...I mean, they lost the meaning of "working out of the box". Because if when I insert a bluray in my console and I need to download a 20 GB day one patch in order to make the game works decently, you already lost your target for me.

there's never going to be a console that's powerful enough to run everything tho, it's always up to the devs

sony didn't force devs to run games at 4k on the ps4 pro, most of the games are running at 1800p or less, I don't know why devs are going as high as possible with resolution, so still, it's up to the devs.

As for patches, they have nothing to do with ps4 pro and it just has to do with deadlines, publishers need their games shipped at certain dates, so it's why developers are still working on them when they are shipping their games, hence day 1 patch

Console isn't working out of the box for quite some time since last gen, we didn't have a choice that's all, and everyone defended how bad those games run, just because they were "playable" until skyrim

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just gonna throw
giant scorpions
at me 1 hour into the game huh RE0? Alright alright.

finished the train which is about all I played, or remember playing, on the gamecube, I know I never finished it thats for sure.

Actually wished the train was longer, as it was a nice change from the usual mansion setting, even if it was a bit crammed. They really loved their CGI cutscenes in Zero didnt they?

Co-op stuff makes a nice change from REmake, even if im not sure if im particulary enjoying how its implemented. Inventory is still complete bollocks even with 2 characters (especially since bigger guns now take 2 slots).

Oh and Billy CAN switch costumes, dat swag suit tho.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I love revisiting games when I upgrade my PC so the initial concept of the PS4 Pro interested me, but the fact that there are first party exclusives not receiving patches really frustrates me. That is pretty much all I buy for the platform and I would have appreciated an uniform improvement on that front.

I find it amusing that people get awful defensive about the improvements which are generally framerate and resolution bumps and I'm pretty sure that at least a couple of those same people downplayed those same improvements on PC multi-plat releases in DF Head-to-Heads for the last couple years.

I find it amusing that people get awful defensive about the improvements which are generally framerate and resolution bumps and I'm pretty sure that at least a couple of those same people downplayed those same improvements on PC multi-plat releases in DF Head-to-Heads for the last couple years.

Sony-GAF.

Thats normal. Read the threads about 4k before the announcement of the PS4Pro or even VR before PSVR...

"If I dont have it, its not really important. If I have it, it becomes important."

Ludens

Banned
just gonna throw
giant scorpions
at me 1 hour into the game huh RE0? Alright alright.

finished the train which is about all I played, or remember playing, on the gamecube, I know I never finished it thats for sure.

Actually wished the train was longer, as it was a nice change from the usual mansion setting, even if it was a bit crammed. They really loved their CGI cutscenes in Zero didnt they?

Co-op stuff makes a nice change from REmake, even if im not sure if im particulary enjoying how its implemented. Inventory is still complete bollocks even with 2 characters (especially since bigger guns now take 2 slots).

Oh and Billy CAN switch costumes, dat swag suit tho.
I didn't like RE0 so much. I bought it on launch, but only played it once. The co-op thing later on really killed the game for me, with that crappy
bat boss
. It's not a bad game, but it's the worse "classic" RE title for me, just average and more of the same with a new feature, the drop-items system and character change which killed the game by forcing backtracking.

there's never going to be a console that's powerful enough to run everything tho, it's always up to the devs

sony didn't force devs to run games at 4k on the ps4 pro, most of the games are running at 1800p or less, I don't know why devs are going as high as possible with resolution, so still, it's up to the devs.

As for patches, they have nothing to do with ps4 pro and it just has to do with deadlines, publishers need their games shipped at certain dates, so it's why developers are still working on them when they are shipping their games, hence day 1 patch

Console isn't working out of the box for quite some time since last gen, we didn't have a choice that's all, and everyone defended how bad those games run, just because they were "playable" until skyrim
I know, as there will never be a PC capable to run everything maxed out, since tech is costantly evolving. My point is, there's not a reference base anymore. Since games turn to be very complex, and a game can be more or less complex than another to run (ie open world titles), you can't really enforce a standard like 1080p/60 fps. For me, this is ok, I'm not a graphic or performance whore and as I wrote multiple times, I played Witcher 2 on 640x480 on low with my old PC (having TON of problems with the kraken fight since framerate dipped so hard I couldn't manage to beat the QTE, lol). But it was Sony itself throwing out the 1080p/60 fps mantra, and originally the Pro was knew as Ps4K so yeah, they pushed on this while they weren't able to achieve 1080p/60 fps in first place with all games because it's an impossible task, since game's performance depends on so many things you can't really enforce something on a closed hardware. As a result, now we have titles with yeah, better resolution but worse framerate (of course, I add) or worse performances, like World of FF, TLOU ans Skyrim. Even people who played the FFXV demo with Pro mode wrote there are frame-pacing issues (not present on vanilla PS4) even if the game looks so much better.

It's just...so dumb. But not from the player's perspective (I mean, you can or can't be interested into buying a powerful console for better graphics and performances, that's up to you, you can or can't care about those, it's subjective), but Sony's and publishers' one, since they are pushing on something impossible to achieve and those are the results right now (games performing worse compared to their vanilla version).

At least make a "vanilla Ps4 mode" so you don't enforce the Pro patch.

Can I ask a dumb PC gaming question here? Not sure where to ask and Im not a huge PC gamer.

Civilization VI is currently way cheaper for Mac on Greenmangaming.com.

Could I

1) Buy it for mac on GreenManGaming
2) redeem it on my Steam account on my MacBook
3) Download it on my gaming PC as its a steamplay title?

It says to make sure my steam account details match up with my GMG details but Im not sure how to check that too.

You don't need to redeem it on your Steam account on MacBook, you can redeem it on your normal PC. The problem is, does the Mac version provide you the windows version too?
You need to check that, because some publishers only sell a Mac or Win version, while others offer both in one purchase.

illusionary

Anyone for the Steep beta? Redeem at www.steepgame.com/beta-redeem
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (illusionary, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Steep beta code #3 -- MB-A60A3C64E231862D - Taken by The Dear Leader
Steep beta code #2 -- MB-D444946ED0D81516 - Taken by Nairume
Steep beta code #1 -- MB-66314A8E8895F063 - Taken by Wok

Stat!

Can I ask a dumb PC gaming question here? Not sure where to ask and Im not a huge PC gamer.

Could I

It says to make sure my steam account details match up with my GMG details but Im not sure how to check that too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Could I

showing 47.99€ for both Pc and mac for me

Nabs

Congratulations to Ramoisdead, Darkshodan and Jawmuncher.

Nice. If anyone has a DS4, I recommend giving the Steam Controller setup a shot with Xanadu. I even put up a public config that mixes controller and mouse/kb if anyone is interested. The game's also great w/ a SC.

madjoki

Oh you are right! It wasn't showing that for me a few days ago. I appreciate that. What about in general? Could the above work?

I think Call of Duty Black Ops 2 is the only game that has separate versions for Mac & PC.
Other than that, yes.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (CheDominik, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

CHRONICLES OF A DARK LORD EP 2 -- MB-82C9DD26E8010219 - Taken by fuzzy123
BARROW HILL CURSE OF THE ANCIENT CIRCLE -- MB-0B8FA473F58B8D81 - Taken by Abomination
THE DETAIL EPISODE 1 -- MB-7F3CD04F2B5068CD - Taken by Purkake4

Enjoy, I guess...

edit: forgot some.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (CheDominik, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

xheRJRF.gif
MONTAGUES MOUNT -- MB-BCB445AB062DD73A - Taken by Baron_Calamity
HOVEN THE SAGES SPINEL -- MB-8C76CDC69B5F4F3E - Taken by Ludens
CHRONICLES OF A DARK LORD EP 1 -- MB-66ADBA0BB1B40E6D - Taken by voodooray

Played with 4K supersampling today. My Pc couldn't handle Skyrim Special Edition, <30fps, but Half-Life 2: Ep 1 and Dishonored looked jaw dropping.

When do cards drop? idle'd this game for 6 hours and no card drops

Usually after you've played a game for 2 hours (unless you haven't refunded in a while) it'll drop a card every 15-30 min.

When do cards drop? idle'd this game for 6 hours and no card drops

Drops seem to start after about half an hour if you haven't refunded anything within something like the last year, and after about 2 hours if you have refunded something more recently. So you should be seeing drops much earlier than 6 hours.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
wtf I have refunded recently, but nothing has dropped in 6 hours, only has 3 cards

it's that crappy trump game

ive been trumped

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Trying to go for 100% in Typing of the Dead Overkill, but it's a bit disspiriting because the only tough achievement involves being insanely good / sinking an absurd amount of hours into the House of the Dead Overkill mode, which is not why I bought the game. I mean, I'm not terrible.

Could I

If it's Steam Play you won't even need to activate it on your Mac, it will work just fine on a PC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think Call of Duty Black Ops 2 is the only game that has separate versions for Mac & PC.
Other than that, yes.

The original Black Ops, yeah, although the Mac version is included in the Black Ops/Black Ops Franchise and CoD: Definitive Edition bundles, which raises the question of why it isn't just Steamplay across the board a la the GTA3-era GTA games and Civ4 (which also have separate Mac apps).

Ascheroth

It's going to be interesting how this whole PS4 Pro thing will turn out.
For me personally this concept of mid-gen refresh seems like a weird hybrid of PC/console that blends the worst of both parts.
You're getting a more powerful console where you can also play your old games... but they only get the extra power if developers specifically patch it in, which kinda defeats the purpose of an upgrade.
And if they do get patched you're getting PC-options Lite but with less control and apparently some devs still priorizing eyecandy over everything to the point of it running 'worse' than on the original PS4.
I mean I get how the prospect for great visuals for a cheap price is enticing, but the whole thing seems so... half-baked.

Nillansan

Nice. If anyone has a DS4, I recommend giving the Steam Controller setup a shot with Xanadu. I even put up a public config that mixes controller and mouse/kb if anyone is interested. The game's also great w/ a SC.

I am interested. I don't have a Steam Controller yet, but I fully intend on buying one soon.

Kyougar

522,767 930,724 Dota 2
473,396 609,592 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
64,516 66,650 Sid Meier's Civilization VI
60,891 70,764 Team Fortress 2
59,540 60,444 Football Manager 2017
54,025 54,677 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
50,703 53,087 Rocket League
49,731 51,613 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
49,086 73,174 Grand Theft Auto V
48,889 50,237 Sid Meier's Civilization V

Skyrim SE and Skyrim normal are 105k peak together, above the all-time 90k peak of Skyrim normal (and the 70k peak of SE)

Anyone here who plays Zacktronic games (SpaceChem, Infinifactory, TIS-100, Shenzhen I/O) that would be fine with me sending them a friend-request on Steam? I love these games, but it's a lot more fun when you have actual people to compete against on the performance charts. And sadly, not a lot of my friends play these games.

Knurek

Yes, it's ready to go. I was planning to do this Friday evening, and then I found out that Valve just published new rules, that releases can only be pushed M-F during daytime working hours. Hmm...well, I'll be doing this Monday morning.

Hear that, Mangagamer? No more Friday midnight releases...

Ucchedav&#257;da;224343042 said:
Anyone here who plays Zacktronic games (SpaceChem, Infinifactory, TIS-100, Shenzhen I/O) that would be fine with me sending them a friend-request on Steam? I love these games, but it's a lot more fun when you have actual people to compete against on the performance charts. And sadly, not a lot of my friends play these games.

Just add Durante and Stump.

KainXVIII

Dead Rising is frustrating, but fun game!
Damn, saving 8 people at same time, that was intense shit! But i still failed case 4-2, even if i made it in time, time bar was in red (hint - do this case first, then save survivors). That's bad game design for you :-/

dex3108

Also today I saw the light of Gyro Assisted Aiming. I used it for the first time in game (Rise of the Tomb Raider) now that Steam has DS4 support and it was amazing.

Wok

I remember Knurek recommending Jelly No Puzzle. Well, it turns out it is a classic. If you don't have the bucks for The Witness or Stephen's Sausage Roll, you can get this one for free.

Ucchedav&#257;da;224343042 said:

You got too far, I was stuck way too early in TIS-100 and all.

You got too far, I was stuck way too early in TIS-100 and all.

Hey, at least you actually play the games, unlike most of my Steam friends. ;-)

And TIS-100 is a tough one .. I've been stuck at one particular problem for over a week now, trying to think up a solution that'll actually fit in the available space.

Hektor

Gotta say, Tyranny's pacing is pretty ace.

Basically everything i've done in my 20 hours so far is related to and impacts the mainstory and the way it's characters and factions react to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom