• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

Well, with the new region lock normally everybody gets the same package, so trying to find RU/CIS or BR will do nothing. He will have to check that package and see if the line "AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting" is set to "no"

Right, that was it. I knew it was ACRTAG but I couldn't unpack it ;)
The allowrun one is still alive and being used tho, check the Styx BR one for example.

"Hello Pete"
closeupgaben.jpg

"I want to play a game"

Well um okay Gaben

Praising intensifies.

fucking hell

Phinor

I wonder how many people are going to get people from Sweden confused with folks from Norway? Of course for anyone who hasn't watch John Carpenter's The Thing that will go right over their head.

Well that was creepy. I was listening to latest dump truck I mean interview from Patrick Klepek and John Carpenter's The Thing was mentioned two seconds before I read your message.

I guess it was supposed to happen like this, all things considered.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If there's a preload game that needs unpacking, will Steam just automatically start installing it?

Yes. I didn't initiate the unpacking process for Alien but when I got up in the morning I noticed it was ready to play.

Question is - does Steam take care of registry entries the game made that might point to the old drive?

The only thing that redirects registry entries is a reinstallation, but I couldn't tell you the last time I tried to run something and encountered trouble because of an out-of-date registry entry.

So I've been browsing steamdb, how will I know if something is region locked? Steam stopped putting the region limitations in their site.

Here you go.

MUnited83

For you.
Right, that was it. I knew it was ACRTAG but I couldn't unpack it ;)
The allowrun one is still alive and being used tho, check the Styx BR one for example.

Yeah, but allowrunin seems to be now mostly used on CD keys only. (Styx BR is a cd key package. Their package for the steam store version is the same as everybody else)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Short version:
See how many packages a game is in, then check the package you're interested in (RU/CIS or BR usually if you want to import from Putin or Brazil).
If it has an onlyallowrunincountries, you're screwed.
There's also a no cross region gifting one I can't think of the name of at the moment.

Ah it's mostly cross region gifting I'm wondering

What if 80 people would tell you to eat a dick each day?
Also I feel like at this point Sterling is fully aware of what writing about this does, he's been...controversial for some time now. So maybe it does make things better for him ;)

Then I'd be ignoring a lot of comments from people who have nothing better to do than to insult others on the internet. Again, that's just me, and the point I was making earlier was less of a criticism of his post and more of a suggestion as to how to handle it, so as to not promote that behavior by giving it what it wants: attention. If the EAT A DICK comments were bothering him before, the deluge of those comments he's going to get now after that post is going to further exacerbate that issue because now he has demonstrated that being shitty to him is working and that those posts are getting to him.

Indeed, that's you. You can be insulted by a stranger and shrug it off as the ramblings of a random fool, and that's great, but not everyone can. I'd feel terrible if someone insulted me, whoever that is. Am I insecure? Yes, a lot, and those comments would only make me feel even more uncomfortable about myself, and help lower my self-esteem.

It's true that having a thick skin on the internet helps. Yet not everyone does. Hell, I already feel incredibly stupid for my previous mistake of "you're". Don't even want to think how I'd feel if strangers were insulting me for that.

Indeed. Each person is different, and some can't ignore ugly comments directed to them.

And that's fair. But all I'm suggesting is that, if that stuff bothers Jim, that he not vent in that manner on the web because it isn't going to help that problem. Vent with others, vent in a blog, I'm not sure, go for a run. Whatever it takes, really, but this is going to make matters worse for him. Like I said earlier, reply professionally and as an adult if you must, be above the vitriol and the hatred, and get it off your chest that way IF you have to vent on the web.

TLDR: don't feed the troll, because it's not going to go away if you do.

chronomac

Some extra codes I stumbled upon:

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Trine Enchanted Edition -- MB-65E46E3A1DD9B1F8 - Taken by The Reloader. 6 entrants total.
Deus Ex Invisible War -- MB-587BC2CF81D16118 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 1 entrants total.

t1412869304z1.png

DocSeuss

Then I'd be ignoring a lot of comments from people who have nothing better to do than to insult others on the internet. Again, that's just me, and the point I was making earlier was less of a criticism of his post and more of a suggestion as to how to handle it, so as to not promote that behavior by giving it what it wants: attention. If the EAT A DICK comments were bothering him before, the deluge of those comments he's going to get now after that post is going to further exacerbate that issue because now he has demonstrated that being shitty to him is working and that those posts are getting to him.

And that's fair. But all I'm suggesting is that, if that stuff bothers Jim, that he not vent in that manner on the web because it isn't going to help that problem. Vent with others, vent in a blog, I'm not sure, go for a run. Whatever it takes, really, but this is going to make matters worse for him. Like I said earlier, reply professionally and as an adult if you must, be above the vitriol and the hatred, and get it off your chest that way IF you have to vent on the web.

I know I get way more hate from Sony fans when I talk about how I'm getting hate from Sony fans. I don't really get that much hate from everyone else.

There's no way to win against trolls.

Sterling is just expressing what he views as a proper community response. I think engaging the nastier aspects of video game consumerism is a laudable goal; screw anyone who says to just deal with it. Sterling's got the platform and the intelligence to accomplish it.

On a happier note, Amazing Frog? has been greenlit.

It's a weird physical-motion 3D platformer with co-op, gear, and plenty of modes. Goat Simulator is a poor clone that doesn't do the concept justice. There's something satisfying about Frog that I've never experienced elsewhere; it's almost a mix of Super Mario 64 and Tony Hawk.

The game is incredibly fun on Ouya. My friend bought the console for the game and we've put far too many hours into the thing. Free-form, deathmatch, lots of odd minigames to play. Hope the Steam release comes fast.

Miguel81

I wonder how many people are going to get people from Sweden confused with folks from Norway? Of course for anyone who hasn't watch John Carpenter's The Thing that will go right over their head.

You mean there are people that haven't watched The Thing? They should get on it pronto! Are you enjoying Alien btw -- must be nice in wide aspect ratio?

It's been a while since my last giveaway - I was stocking up on a few items:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (crazyrabbits, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-39E7AF9EACBD3415 - Taken by nja. 2 entrants total.
Metal Planet -- MB-906D4071168A032C - Taken by agniswarm
Speedball 2 HD -- MB-46EE1808AA12FCEC - Taken by darkchewie. 5 entrants total.
SpaceChem -- MB-3950D05F6C4F112A - Taken by HalfwayOrb
Lilly Looking Through -- MB-EF3EBAFDAD3E4DB1 - Taken by NoCryingUntilTheEnd. 2 entrants total.
One Day for Ched -- MB-072B99BC4E92F035 - Taken by arts&crafts. 1 entrants total.
The Mysterious Cities of Gold -- MB-45C33B527E9479EB - Taken by deadflower81. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Sanctuary RPG (Desura) -- MB-C902F44ED4ADB651 - Taken by Popstar
Dreaming Sarah -- MB-4DF639251092AEA4 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 3 entrants total.
Anomaly Warzone Earth -- MB-3F34CEB0DD2AA25C - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
The Cat Lady -- MB-5004367493043F87 - Taken by GaussTek. 2 entrants total.

t1412880284z1.png

Also, MB is telling me that two of my keys were from other users, even though they're registered to my IndieGala profile and have valid gift links. If anyone wants to try them out, it's first come, first serve.

Shiny The Firefly - http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=d268ab0223a211e4863acbdb652bd0e7
The Tower - http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=3151fe8210f411e4bb11390d767b6146

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thank God for TrashBot.

I'm actually working on a "trashbot" of my own for Enhanced Steam. Basically, it will add a "Delete" button to coupons, and clicking it will automatically initiate a trade offer to the trash can which will, in turn, be automatically accepted.

Tizoc

Move the files to new location (or copy and delete), then make a junction on the original drive pointing the the new directory.

Something like this:

xcopy /E /V /I /F /Y "d:\gry\pc\steam\steamapps\common\10000000" "F:\games\10000000"
cmd /C rd /S /Q "d:\gry\pc\steam\steamapps\common\10000000"
cmd /C mklink /J "d:\gry\pc\steam\steamapps\common\10000000" "F:\games\10000000"

Just edit the correct directories.
Err does that require using command prompt?

Does anyone have a 20% off voucher for Team Indie?

I got 4 of those too.

Do they stack?

Dr Dogg

Well that was creepy. I was listening to latest dump truck I mean interview from Patrick Klepek and John Carpenter's The Thing was mentioned two seconds before I read your message.

I guess it was supposed to happen like this, all things considered.

Unless Klepek is on the same wavelength as me? Nah.

You mean there are people that haven't watched The Thing? They should get on it pronto! Are you enjoying Alien btw -- must be nice in wide aspect ratio?

Well they might have only seen the remake. Which I haven't seen so don't know if those couple of lines like 'You really want to save those crazy Swedes?' 'They're Norwegians Mac' are in there.

Yeah It's not too bad. It's a tad funky with the FOV I'm using as it fisheyes towards the edges sometimes but I have yet to face of against the Alien so will wait until then to see how it really comes into play. One thing of note I did stumble across though is because the game isn't really designed this way that the shadow maps sometimes will scale back whilst being visible on the outsides on the screen which wouldn't be visable at a 16:9 presentation. Doesn't bother me that much but it's just one of those little things I picked up

kiyomi

the FF13 download is gonna be a killer. to ensure it gets the full 1.6-8 MB i should do nothing, right?

Lock yourself in a cupboard. Hold the fetal position. It's the only way to make sure the salts in your body don't interfere with internet speeds.

the FF13 download is gonna be a killer. to ensure it gets the full 1.6-8 MB i should do nothing, right?

Pretty much what I'm doing. No gifs, no big images, close Twitter, disable chat, disable everything, full priority to Steam.

Even that way, I'm still 7 hours away from the goal... :(

There's no way to win against trolls.

Sterling is just expressing what he views as a proper community response. I think engaging the nastier aspects of video game consumerism is a laudable goal; screw anyone who says to just deal with it. Sterling's got the platform and the intelligence to accomplish it.

And I'd argue that you only lose if you seek to ever participate and engage these folks. You cannot win/lose in a game you do not participate in, right?

The link does bring up some interesting points and examples, though. I'll stop digressing now, just felt like adding that last reply to your link.

I'm actually working on a "trashbot" of my own for Enhanced Steam. Basically, it will add a "Delete" button to coupons, and clicking it will automatically initiate a trade offer to the trash can which will, in turn, be automatically accepted.

You're doing good, my man.

I can just see it now, "hit delet on cs go knif how undo pls halp!!!!!"

jshackles making big moneyz with dem coupons!

please make a button so that when I click it on it in ES, it sends you a message that you're the man and that I love you

Phawx

Thank you!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The whole Ubisoft comment on Ass Creed's FPS was pointless from the get-go. Anyone with a lick of common sense knows that there was no chance in hell of either platform playing the game at 60 fps.

Is there a debate for 30 fps games needing to be 60? Absolutely. Should this debate be ignited by a misguided and naive PR post for a game that at no point had any chance of being 60 fps from it's very inception? No. It's just aiming at low-hanging fruit that most normal posters would just ignore.

Hugstable

Banned
The whole Ubisoft comment on Ass Creed's FPS was pointless from the get-go. Anyone with a lick of common sense knows that there was no chance in hell of either platform playing the game at 60 fps.

Is there a debate for 30 fps games needing to be 60? Absolutely. Should this debate be ignited by a misguided and naive PR post for a game that at no point had any chance of being 60 fps from it's very inception? No. It's just aiming at low-hanging fruit that most normal posters would just ignore.

Yeah it's really dumb and I actually posted that exact thing earlier. Who in the hell expected this game to run 60FPS on consoles? Like I understand getting mad because Ubisoft said something really dumb that was not needed to be said at all, but lo and behold people are in there legit mad this game isn't 60FPS on consoles lol.

Hm...

I find it more sad to see that there are really people thinking like that.

Dr Dogg

The whole Ubisoft comment on Ass Creed's FPS was pointless from the get-go.

What makes me laugh about the whole ordeal is that they kind of explained themselves, albeit succinctly, with their previous statement to the press. "Technically we're CPU-bound" is what Pontbriand said so whether they want to send out a load of waffle or not that says everything I need to know. If they'd rather populate the game with 1,000's and 1,000's of AI and interacting systems which top out the console hardware great, that's their vision I'm cool with it but not the silly justifications that they decided to use. It sounds like damage limitation but aimed at completely the wrong crowd. The ones up in arms about the previous comments were not happy about technical specs and feeding the response they did was pouring petrol on a fire.

guh, it still says preload

I'm only 51% done ;_;

I'm playing the Bayonetta 2 demo when I get in anyway :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom