• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

We need specs. But everybody knows that SteamGAF is also NintendoGAF.

S17HmnQ.png

card is a 6870

I'm rather biased so I'd say go with PC. Games on sale for crazy cheap in the long run, and if you look in the 'build a PC thread' you should be able to find the components you need to build a good gaming rig.

Speaking for myself (and I'm not super sensitive to framerate / resolution so it may just be me) it might be worth really considering how your current rig runs games. My machine is not that current or powerful, but when I consider a PC upgrade I have to ask myself "do I really need to do this now." I'm sure that I'll upgrade at some point, but I want to wait until the XB1/PS4/PC multiplatform porting story is really settled before I jump in. Might be nice to wait until more like later in 2015 to upgrade if your current system is still running the games that you want.

the game where i have no idea what im doing

When I first started I got a Millennium Falcon from the Workshop, played around with it, and felt my purchase of the game was justified. I hope the Eagle 5 from Space Balls gets made for it. I haven't played in a long time so it may have been added by someone already.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
2) PS4
- pros: bloodborne!!
- cons: console game prices suck

keep in mind I do plan on keeping the pc I have around for as long as possible. what say you gaf?

One thing I've found is that console game prices suck a little less if you're okay with buying used. I got a PS4 a couple days ago which I basically plan on using for the PS4 and console exclusive games (since I already have a Wii U).

Sure there's no Steam Sale pricing, but I paid on average between $15-$20 each for Infamous Second Son, Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, Killzone, Knack, and Watch_Dogs. I paid $30 (the horror!) for TLoU Remastered. Console games don't have to be $60, especially if you're willing to wait for a good deal on a used copy to come around.

Hey Jshackles will it be possible to do "dumpster diving" in the trash account for a certain coupon that someone else threw away?

Not at first, no. It may be added in the future though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bound By Flame only 50% bums me out, I would probably bite at 66% :(

edit: damn it thats not the new Naruto, bah. I thought that was way too good to be true lol

Uzzy

If you've any interest in the RTS genre, I can highly recommend the Wargame series, particularly Wargame: Airland Battle and Red Dragon.

Dr Dogg

alright so my boss is gone today and I've done next to nothing at work today. I've pondered my gaming future since my current pc is apparently incapable of running the new games particularly well. 3 options for my "next gen":

1) Get back into nintendo.
- pros: cheapest of all the consoles, incredible first party library.
- cons: none of that third party hotness

2) PS4

3) Build a new PC or buy a pre-built
- pros: this is a steam thread. you know them.
- cons: most expensive to get started with

keep in mind I do plan on keeping the pc I have around for as long as possible. what say you gaf?

WiiU and PC is the perfect combo for me and my tastes right now but later on there will be some stuff I will be tempted to get a PS4 for. There might even be something on Xbox One in the future that might turn my head. But recently the trend has been belated releases on PC or delayed announcements like MGS V that's making me doubt picking up either the PS4 or Xbox One until they're matured and cheap. Could I hold off on playing Bloodborne or FF Type -0 for a couple of years if they are the only two titles I wanted to play on a console? Yeah probably.

I guess we all have our tipping point but I'd need a good selection of titles to make my purchase worthwhile but right now nothing is screaming 'buy me, buy me!'

Weekend Deal #1: 75% off a bunch of Focus Interactive stuff
Weekend Deal #2: 40% off Space Engineers ($11.99), plus a Free Weekend
Daily: 75% off Hammerwatch ($2.49 or $7.49 for a four-pack)

And that's where my good luck ran out.

One thing I've found is that console game prices suck a little less if you're okay with buying used. I got a PS4 a couple days ago which I basically plan on using for the PS4 and console exclusive games (since I already have a Wii U).

Sure there's no Steam Sale pricing, but I paid on average between $15-$20 each for Infamous Second Son, Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, Killzone, Knack, and Watch_Dogs. I paid $30 (the horror!) for TLoU Remastered. Console games don't have to be $60, especially if you're willing to wait for a good deal on a used copy to come around.

Not at first, no. It may be added in the future though.

Hrmmmm...

Couldn't wait?
And anti-uPlay?

MayMay

Banned
Apparently there are no ingame options either, 720p/60fps - thats odd indeed. Just taking stuff Ive read in the OT though. Its still unpacking for me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hrmmmm...

Couldn't wait?
And anti-uPlay?

Ground Zeroes was literally a "I know this is coming to Steam but I want to test out my PS4 and it's only $10".

Watch_Dogs was "Damn I can pick this game up for $18 and not have to deal with Uplay?" The cheapest it's been on PC has been $40.

alright so my boss is gone today and I've done next to nothing at work today. I've pondered my gaming future since my current pc is apparently incapable of running the new games particularly well. 3 options for my "next gen":

1) Get back into nintendo.
- pros: cheapest of all the consoles, incredible first party library.
- cons: none of that third party hotness

2) PS4

3) Build a new PC or buy a pre-built
- pros: this is a steam thread. you know them.
- cons: most expensive to get started with

You really need to look at the games that you want and go from there. I used to be console exclusive because I really didn't have a PC that could run games, but when I did get one, I found I could get the vast majority of games I personally wanted on PC.

MGS V initially being a console exclusive was tempting me to get a console but with the news of it coming to PC, the only game I'm really disappointed I'll miss out on is Bloodborne. But the huge backlog of games I already have, the amazing sales on Steam, and the generous Steam GAF community, that's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Battlepaths -- MB-9E680878DF7FAD3D - Taken by tylergregg
Paranormal State Poison Spring -- MB-8E0A6BC64C8A5163 - Taken by nja
Huntsman The Orphanage -- MB-E54A2F05104B113F - Taken by Monooboe
Kingdom Elemental #2 -- MB-2E8869EC22DF4923
The Samaritan Paradox -- MB-24D6A4F8BA3FDAB9 - Taken by Porcupine
Major Mayhem -- MB-BA5B9764D8C10A43 - Taken by Darth Kupi
Power-Up -- MB-526A6B5057958B9A - Taken by TheMadMan007
Huntsman The Orphanage #2 -- MB-E8F7384D8C605578
Paranormal State Poison Spring #2 -- MB-58F35D9D01B84460 - Taken by electroflame
Kingdom Elemental -- MB-EB1A4735D3B77D69
Hostile Waters Antaeus Rising -- MB-E4F967380BA04A71 - Taken by nature boy
The 39 Steps -- MB-4FAE2DC7FD43DE3F - Taken by agniswarm

Knurek

Did Final Fantasy XIII disappear for everyone else from the New Releases/Upcoming/Top Sellers lists?
Someone done goofed, I imagine...

yatesl

What's the deal with Witcher 3? I see there's RU (that's ROW?), US-ROW and EU-ROW. EU-ROW is double the price.

I'm from the UK... how do we feel about the 8 key 'ROW' ones?

rtcn63

Did Final Fantasy XIII disappear for everyone else from the New Releases/Upcoming/Top Sellers lists?
Someone done goofed, I imagine...

Steam ain't having that 720p

Personally, I would consider 1080p/30fps more of an affront. But lack of options all around, and that 60GB mandatory-ness...

Turfster

Naruto Ship UNS 3 FB is 66% off this weekend
GMG's deal of the day is Age of Mythology Extended 66% off
And there's yet another Groupees BAGB preorder page up

MayMay

Banned
Actually, it kinda makes sense for FFXIII being 720p.. Most of the games pre-rendered cutscenes (even the non-CGI ones) are 720p. So I guess its reasonable they dont let anyone change it.. Would look inconsistent as fuck in that case. Already stupid enough that the game is 60fps and the cutscenes 30.

chronomac

I'm actually working on a "trashbot" of my own for Enhanced Steam. Basically, it will add a "Delete" button to coupons, and clicking it will automatically initiate a trade offer to the trash can which will, in turn, be automatically accepted.

Doin' God's work, man. Appreciated.

Did anyone really expect FFXIII to be a great port? I admit it's worse than I expected, but it really shouldn't surprise anyone.

Sounds like Durante is on it though.

Aaron D.

Oh man. I'm a HUGE Farming Simulator nerd and they've got some deep cuts for FS13 this weekend. FS13: Titanium Editioin - $6.99 (-75%) All the DLC is similarly priced. I believe that's the cheapest I've ever seen it.

The only thing is that Farming Sim 15 launches in 3 weeks and you can nab a pre-order at GMG for $23.99 (Steam key) using the coupon code VBHGBM-JS2VN9-0J5OFM .

FS15 is sporting a new graphics & physics engine and based on the footage it looks significantly better than FS13.

In other words I'd be preaching from the rooftops, urging the curious to look into FS13 at that low price, but man. You might just be better off waiting a few weeks for FS15.

Did anyone really expect FFXIII to be a great port? I admit it's worse than I expected, but it really shouldn't surprise anyone.

Sounds like Durante is on it though.

Well, I didn't expect something like The Last Remnant because that was on UE3 and FFXIII is on some crappy internal engine.

But no resolution settings in 2014 is crazy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Choosing the internal rendering/output resolution isn't really a feature that separates a great port from a less-than-ideal one. ;)

chronomac

Anyone here have experience with the PC version of Contrast? I read that some people liked the PS4 version but I haven't read much about the Steam version of it.

Also, as an aside, someone in the FFXIII thread said that hitting ESC just exists the whole game. That made me giggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom