• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a fairly accomplished guitarist, and was given both an old and new Rocksmith as a joke. I found them to be quite counter intuitive, mainly because the focus (at least for me) was on trying to follow everything on the screen, and not paying attention to what I was actually doing. For a song I never played before, I found I hadn't actually learnt the song by the end, but could play it by reading the screen only. There is also the issue of not being taught how to improvise and how to actually create anything. Perhaps this is the view of someone who shouldn't be using it though (which I don't other than that first day). The tips for technique are great though. They are thorough and well shown in the new one. However you could just watch the whole thing on youtube if you wanted.

It's probably a nice way to start, but I wouldn't rely on Rocksmith alone.

I think there is a lot to be gained by mixing and matching these things though. Just make sure to try looking up a slow simple song via a tab, and learn to play it. Start super slow with a metronome and keep building up. Then try more difficult songs as you go. Learn some scales, check some youtube vids when you get stuck or confused. Mess around as well, you'd be astonished what you can do.
Thanks for the very detailed response and tips, and yeah I don't plan on relying on any one method of learning. Want to spend a few weeks on the basics and then I have several friends who have been playing since they were kids and lessons are always a possibility.

you can get Rocksmith 2014 for a little over $6 on Funstock Digital right now with code OCT-COUPSITE-HOT10

http://www.funstockdigital.co.uk/rocksmith-2014-steam-key-pc-download

(you'd just need to get the Real-Tone cable...dunno if just any guitar-to-usb cable would work)
Before I purchase this, will any guitar to usb cable work or does it have to be the Real Tone one?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

MUnited83

For you.
Thanks for the very detailed response and tips, and yeah I don't plan on relying on any one method of learning. Want to spend a few weeks on the basics and then I have several friends who have been playing since they were kids and lessons are always a possibility.

Before I purchase this, will any guitar to usb cable work or does it have to be the Real Tone one?

Has to be the Real Tone.

33 dollars is the cheapest price for the cable on amazon, damn. Is there a better deal elsewhere?

Of course I just spent like 400 dollars on a guitar so that shouldn't bother me that much in comparison, lol.

wilflare

eh what did the Humble BTA price start at
realised I have none of the games from the BTA tier ._.

and bleh I should really keep better note of Bundle Stars lol

Should I be uninstalling old GPU drivers before installing new ones? Having some black screen of death issues and google says it's a display issue and most suggestions are to install new drivers.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
33 dollars is the cheapest price for the cable on amazon, damn. Is there a better deal elsewhere?

Of course I just spent like 400 dollars on a guitar so that shouldn't bother me that much in comparison, lol.

If you can, look for something like an OG Rocksmith Xbox 360 bundle, or PS3 bundle.

I know I got 360 Rocksmith from Amazon with the cable for like $15 and just used the cable for PC.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I like it, much better than my 1 on the sides and back, 5 on top.

2 on the sides and back and no idea on the top since it has been a while since the last time I touch the top. Been doing 2 for a while and letting the top grow.

Should I be uninstalling old GPU drivers before installing new ones? Having some black screen of death issues and google says it's a display issue and most suggestions are to install new drivers.

I usually do, use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller/Utility?), it's real simple and doesn't take much.

I think I'm reaching the point at which Half-Life 2 picks up the pace. Just have to get myself motivated to finish the rest of it off.

This is actually a racial slur, so you're prob better off not using it in the future.

didn't mean it in that way but noted for the future

sorry if it offended anyone

that moment when you convince someone to give Disgaea a chance

DqIXKzi.jpg

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Pillars of Eternity's mechanics change so much each patch, all of my previous notes for a Triple Crown run are essentially worthless. Damn.

didn't mean it in that way but noted for the future

sorry if it offended anyone
It's okay, I've made the same mistake in the past.

Whoa, I never realized that.
Yeah, I never thought about it until someone else pointed it out to me. I feel like Americans especially are pretty clueless about its origins.

Nice try, I have whatever free shit PS+ has thrown me and I'm still not convinced.
Truth: I'm drunk and starting a four day weekend.
Your loss, Disgaea is the shit, even if I've only played Hour of Darkness.

Xanathus

Pillars of Eternity's mechanics change so much each patch, all of my previous notes for a Triple Crown run are essentially worthless. Damn.

Yeaaaaaah, I played a bit of Pillars when it first came out because I Kickstarted it but then put it down because I wanted to play GTA5. Then when I came back I find out Ciphers are OP so I restarted and played that, then I put it down for another game I cannot remember. Now I come back and see all this shit has changed. Have they fixed the companion's stats? I recall that they had really shitty builds and the later level you picked them up the worse their build is.

Do you guys think Beat Hazard lets play footage can be monetized on YouTube? I know the developer says it is OK as long as you put a link in the description to where you can buy the game, but I'm guessing the music you use is going to get flagged, right?

This I guess goes for any games using custom soundtracks.

image.php

Nice try, I have whatever free shit PS+ has thrown me and I'm still not convinced.
Truth: I'm drunk and starting a four day weekend.
get on that disgaea yo. I'ma get D5 in around December that way I can take my time and play it during winter break
Your loss, Disgaea is the shit, even if I've only played Hour of Darkness.

only the first!? at least play the sequel to the first, Disgaea D2, or my personal favorite, Disgaea 4.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Yeaaaaaah, I played a bit of Pillars when it first came out because I Kickstarted it but then put it down because I wanted to play GTA5. Then when I came back I find out Ciphers are OP so I restarted and played that, then I put it down for another game I cannot remember. Now I come back and see all this shit has changed. Have they fixed the companion's stats? I recall that they had really shitty builds and the later level you picked them up the worse their build is.
I remember when ciphers were OP. I initially considered using them for my solo run, but then they got nerfed a few days later, lol. I'm planning to go with a rogue and stealth my way past encounters, basically. The improved AI is probably going to kick my ass later, if enemies' path finding has improved any. The constant changes to the system really made me mad back when I was playing for the first time. Apparently, they actually fixed the issue with companion builds, but you can only reassign stats at the time you recruit them. For example, if you recruit someone when you're at level 11, you level them up all the way from level 2 up.

only the first!? at least play the sequel to the first, Disgaea D2, or my personal favorite, Disgaea 4.
I was really invested in the cast of the first game, so I got turned off when I heard the second game had a new one. And then I was super busy by the time D2 came out, so I missed out on that. I'll get to at least D2 eventually though! edit: Oh wait, D2 is on PS3, no wonder I didn't play it. edit2: Oh wait, all of the Disgaea games past 2 are on PS3/PSP/Vita, no wonder I didn't play them.

Do you guys think Beat Hazard lets play footage can be monetized on YouTube? I know the developer says it is OK as long as you put a link in the description to where you can buy the game, but I'm guessing the music you use is going to get flagged, right?

This I guess goes for any games using custom soundtracks.
Really depends on what music and who owns it.

zkylon

zkylewd
is it weird that all my games have been defaulting to windowed mode?

i might have spent too many seasons playing witcha but i seem to remember not all games doing that before?

win 10

yea it's weird, today i installed like 8 different games to see if any of them got me excited (none of them did) and they were all windowed by default

weird
figured, there is a weird issue with some games being in a window.what were some of the gannes you ran?

Corpekata

Banned
I dont understand this image.

It's a ridiculous translation. The translation should just be "Just according to plan" but some hardcore fan translator wanted to broadcast his Japanese knowledge to the world by including Japanese words and translating them. This is common for when words don't have an English analogue, but shouldn't be used with common words and phrases.

It's a common habit of that fandom to be irritating about that sort of thing.

I dont understand this image.

It's a joke about how fansubbers for anime for some dumb reason write some words in romanized from Japanese and then have a translation note for it. That's one of the more popular ones.

I should iterate that the image itself is used as a joke not the actual image itself, since the subbers did that on purpose.

Monooboe

This is why you should never give your money to inexperienced persons of any job, not just game development. Would you hire a brand new unknown construction developer to build you a house who then comes to you a year later saying that the crew he hired did absolutely nothing and he did not even check on their work at all?

Although, that' also what's so great about kickstarter, that someone with a dream but not the experience can give it a try, because he couldn't get funding any other way. Also with kickstarter the loss of a failed project is spread very thin among all the backers. Sure anyone doing a kickstarter should consult someone that has business sense and that doesn't have something to gain from the project.

Shadownet

Banned
It's a ridiculous translation. The translation should just be "Just according to plan" but some hardcore fan translator wanted to broadcast his Japanese knowledge to the world by including Japanese words and translating them. This is common for when words don't have an English analogue, but shouldn't be used with common words and phrases.

It's a joke about how fansubbers for anime for some dumb reason write some words in romanized from Japanese and then have a translation note for it. That's one of the more popular ones.

I should iterate that the image itself is used as a joke not the actual image itself, since the subbers did that on purpose.

wow.. what a half-ass, egotistical translator.

yuraya

uhh lemme think

back to bed
valdis story
the age of decadence demo
not a hero
shovel knight

just found it weird, not super annoying

I didn't know Age of Decadence had a demo. Thanks for the heads up gonna dl.

gotta give it a try some time.

I've seen anime often called by their Japanese name here on GAF, do really that many people speak Japanese?

Milamber

I've seen anime often called by their Japanese name here on GAF, do really that many people speak Japanese?

I recognize a title like "Ore no Osananajimi wa Joshikousei de Yuusha" by its japanese title more than its english title of "My Childhood Friend is a High School Girl and a Hero of Another World but It Looks Like There's More To Her Than That".

EDIT: Alternatively, "Bu ni Mi wo Sasagete Hyaku to Yonen. Elf de Yarinaosu Musha Shugyou" as a title to "The Tale of a Man Devoted to Martial Arts for a Hundred Years and Died, Only to be Reincarnated as an Elf."

EDIT: I'm on a roll here, "Seijo no Kaifuku Mahou ga Dou Mitemo Ore no Rekkaban na Ken ni Tsuite" to "No matter how I see the Saint’s Recovery Magic, it’s a Deteriorated Version of Mine."

EDIT: There really is a lot of J-LN's and anime that turns to them that use really long ass titles, "10 nen goshi no HikiNiito o Yamete Gaishutsushitara Jitaku goto Isekai ni Ten’ishiteta" makes it to "When I was going out from my house to stop become a Hiki-NEET after 10 years I was transported to another world."

And that's the reason that particular image got popular and became a meme.
It's just hilarious.

I recognize a title like "Ore no Osananajimi wa Joshikousei de Yuusha" by its japanese title more than its english title of "My Childhood Friend is a High School Girl and a Hero of Another World but It Looks Like There's More To Her Than That".

EDIT: Alternatively, "Bu ni Mi wo Sasagete Hyaku to Yonen. Elf de Yarinaosu Musha Shugyou" as a title to "The Tale of a Man Devoted to Martial Arts for a Hundred Years and Died, Only to be Reincarnated as an Elf."

EDIT: I'm on a roll here, "Seijo no Kaifuku Mahou ga Dou Mitemo Ore no Rekkaban na Ken ni Tsuite" to "No matter how I see the Saint’s Recovery Magic, it’s a Deteriorated Version of Mine."

Moreover, Japanese titles are often have their shorter title version.
I can't think of any other examples besides OreImo ("Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nairight now. It's more practical and you can use it for googling or whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom