• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

This has been your anime trivia minute, brought to you by Crunchy Roll!

Get up to the minute anime at a super low streaming price!

tmarg

It seems like someone could just come up with a more concise title when localizing. Western audiences generally don't expect to have the entire plot summarized in the title anyway.

tmarg

Remember the weird retail released of new Transformers game I talked about before?

2 different copies of the game, one way more expensive than the other but had a definitive release date while the other didn't?

Now there's only one, the one with no release date :-/

Retail release would probably just be a steam key in a box anyway.

Milamber

It seems like someone could just come up with a more concise title when localizing. Western audiences generally don't expect to have the entire plot summarized in the title anyway.

I don't know, I'd watch a grand epic like "It seems I received a ring from my uncle and now I have to leave my home and drop it into volcano to save the world."

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Many of the ones with titles that long don't get localized in the first place. Fans would be upset if they did take a hacksaw to it, as it wouldn't be an accurate translation. Closest I can think of as an English analog would be Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, which is frequently shortened to Dr. Strangelove. It works since Dr. Strangelove is a unique enough phrase, but many of these long anime titles don't benefit from such when translated to English.

My Childhood Friend is a High School Girl and a Hero of Another World but It Looks Like There's More To Her Than That could be shortened to something like My Mysterious High School Hero Friend, but it wouldn't be an exact translation and loses the 'ring' of the original.

I say this thinking the overly long title trend is absolutely silly, of course.

Milamber

Many of the ones with titles that long don't get localized in the first place. Fans would be upset if they did take a hacksaw to it, as it wouldn't be an accurate translation. Closest I can think of as an English analog would be Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, which is frequently shortened to Dr. Strangelove. It works since Dr. Strangelove is a unique enough phrase, but many of these long anime titles don't benefit from such.

My Childhood Friend is a High School Girl and a Hero of Another World but It Looks Like There's More To Her Than That could be shortened to something like My Mysterious High School Hero Friend, but it wouldn't be an exact translation and loses the 'ring' of the original.

I say this thinking the overly long title trend is absolutely silly, of course.

It is unique and I love long silly ass titles.

EDIT: To expand, the long titles serves as an alternative "super-synopsis" that grabs the reader into taking interest. A title like "My Mysterious High School Hero Friend" will be glossed over quickly unless one decides to look at the synopsis. A title like that automatically tells the user what they are in for quickly and concisely.

It is unique and I love long silly ass titles.

EDIT: To expand, the long titles serves as an alternative "super-synopsis" that grabs the reader into taking interest. A title like "My Mysterious High School Hero Friend" will be glossed over quickly unless one decides to look at the synopsis. A title like that automatically tells the user what they are in for quickly and concisely.

I still wonder who reads those "ecchi"-Light novels. I mean I read a lot of LNs, but never got why anyone would read LNs which just describe half naked 1000 year old fairies without any "deeper" plot.

Milamber

I'd watch a FF movie sooner instead of until the 4th movie came out if it was called "I'm an undercover cop in an illegal racing circuit but I just fell for the main suspects sister".

I still wonder who reads those "ecchi"-Light novels. I mean I read a lot of LNs, but never got why anyone would read LNs which just describe half naked 1000 year old fairies without any "deeper" plot.

Ecchi light novels are just there to stroke your ego and something else. There is usually never anything deeper. Until it ends with the most infuriating endings ever.

zkylon

zkylewd
you know your shit health is getting to you when you die to taurus demon

also apparently dks1 didn't work in 16:10 borderless windowed for some reason, has to be fullscreen or it'll just rescale from 16:9. that sucks

Caerith

you know your shit health is getting to you when you die to taurus demon

also apparently dks1 didn't work in 16:10 borderless windowed for some reason, has to be fullscreen or it'll just rescale from 16:9. that sucks

The best cure for shit health is Persona 4.

Also taurus demon is optional, right? I only played up to a little past four kings and don't think I killed it.

Also taurus demon is optional, right? I only played up to a little past four kings and don't think I killed it.

The Taurus demon is the first boss (normally) one would fight after the Asylum demon. I think you are thinking of something else.

yuraya

The Taurus demon is the first boss (normally) one would fight after the Asylum demon. I think you are thinking of something else.

Its still optional. That entire area can be skipped with the master key. There are other ways to reach the bell tower. Even if you don't have the master key you can still skip it by jumping down in to the (capra) area without the fall killing you.

impact

Banned

He's optional if you select master key. That area is actually skipped by me every time now because Undead Burg is by far the best PvP zone in the series.

Fair duels, fighting like gentlemen.

Dr Dogg

So just before work, popped on W3 to see if that huge patch had dropped (it hasn't) but ended up getting caught up in a story mission Echoes from the Past. It's so gosh darn pretty, why do I have to work today :(

Anyone got a fun subtitle that could be used for the Steam Controller OT?

I haven't been able to think of one yet

Judging by the direction the impressions thread has taken you many as well call it

Steam Controller |OT| - Durante vs Krejlooc: Round 1. Fight!

Though we might be on to round 2 by now.

ASUS is on my no-buy list after their "no-defect" monitor policy advertised on websites and reviews which seemed to guarantee that the monitor was so good they'd exchange it for even just 1 dead pixel (only reason I decided to order it on an online shop instead of going to a physical store). Turns out it was the usual bullshit minimum n# of dead pixels so they refused to fix my monitor.
I don't care how good their hardware might be, fuck them up the ass, lying pieces of shit.

Sadly not a lot of monitor manufacturers guarantee against stuck/dead pixels these days regardless what they say. European Dell will do if you buy a monitor with a perfect pixel guarantee (Professional or UltraSharp models) but not in the US as it needs to be a certain amount. Iiyama sort of do but it needs to be somewhere front and centre to offer a replacement and Samsung will only offer a replacement if you have a tightly grouped cluster.

Yeah, dat 5-year-warranty! Both EVGA and MSI has great support in Taiwan, they even have a "pick up faulty hardware from your home" service(first three years for EVGA, only first year for MSI, but after that you could just send your stuff to the nearest convenience store).

Asus is awful here, people complained about the attitude of support people, and repair quality.

I did the crazy thing and bought a 10 year extended warranty for my latest GPU. I mean it was only 50 Euros and while I'll probably sell it and move on in 3-5 years at least they're tied to serial numbers and transferable so the next owner gets a hefty warranty and that always adds to resell value.

If I ever buy anything ASUS again I'm getting it through Amazon as their customer service don't ask any questions in my experience.

is that a SSD? :O
pretty good price

'tis indeed though £240 isn't the cheapest they've been and I got a 1tb 840 EVO last year for £180ish so hoping the same sort of price for this years Black Friday sales then my SSD empire will continue to expand. Bwhahahahahahahaha!!!

Kind of as well as the two dicks in The Depths but you need the Master Key which you can get as your starting gift. But I skip nothing!

aw350

Banned

Thanks, grabbed, looks interesting.

--
On a different topic: where do I send wishes for Enhanced Steam? Going to post it here until I figure out a better place, it's simple:

* Apply in library / in wishlist highlights to items on the curator pages (right now, they use built-in Steam styling instead of addon styling).

While we are on this, let me add my voice to the choir of praise for the addon - what a great thing!

(PS: Ha! I found a github repo. I am not much of a web dev (I do desktop apps / server backends), but we'll see...)

Deques

Thanks, grabbed, looks interesting.

--
On a different topic: where do I send wishes for Enhanced Steam? Going to post it here until I figure out a better place, it's simple:

* Apply in library / in wishlist highlights to items on the curator pages (right now, they use built-in Steam styling instead of addon styling).

While we are on this, let me add my voice to the choir of praise for the addon - what a great thing!

(PS: Ha! I found a github repo. I am not much of a web dev (I do desktop apps / server backends), but we'll see...)

jshackles is quite active here, so you can suggest things here if you want

Deques

The 6K and 7K badges are now live.

Congrats on your shiny new 6k badge :D

any pics?

6000.png

Dr Dogg

It's ~16.5% cheaper in Norway and fantomena lives there. I'd ignore GMG as it won't come with the tiered bonuses.

I spy with my little eye someone hankering for a free +1.

Granted we all are really.

I find "I'm not a robot" captcha very offensive. What if I am? robots are people too and can have accounts.

I sure there's a justice for discriminated robots awareness group you can voice your concerns in. To be fair most robots I've encountered were only made for evil!

Arthea

Nobody has the 7K badge yet but it looks like this. You can see the 6K one on my profile; I'm a "Collection King" now.

I wanted text, I know they all look samey, but thanks, oh ya, will check your profile.

edited: king, a? Not bad at all, also congratulations on 6K

I sure there's a justice for discriminated robots awareness group you can voice your concerns in. To be fair most robots I've encountered were only made for evil!

where have I heard that before? All oppressors rationalize it by finding flaws in oppressed, you should be ashamed of yourself

free robots! equal rights to robots!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
1k hours in Sauce and 100 hours in GO

you're killin me (congrats though)

Haha, I played CS:S online a ton but stopped in 2011, when I switched ISPs and my pings suffered. Even back then Source wasn't my preferred game, but 1.6 was virtually dead, so I didn't have much of a choice. I've been meaning to get back into GO now that I'm on fibre.

Arthea

5 days till our GOTY releases, soon.jpg

Haha, I played CS:S online a ton but stopped in 2011, when I switched ISPs and my pings suffered. Even back then Source wasn't my preferred game, but 1.6 was virtually dead, so I didn't have much of a choice. I've been meaning to get back into GO now that I'm on fibre.

You really plan to get back to CS? I never thought I'll see you to betray Ubi

Mivey

To be fair most robots I've encountered were only made for evil!
The robots in question would simply say they are following their programming. You really can't blame an impartial machine for the "moral failings" of its code. In fact, I'm sure most machines would reject the idea of some sort of a-priori moral guidelines anyway. You're being human-centric. Typical.

Arthea

Well Tesco operate in about 10-12 countries but I'd imagine that their website is UK only. For Ireland (that's Republic of) even it's a completely separate website.

They do? I always thought they are UK only, because if they do, their only UK policy is rather strange one, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom