• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

tva63j7.jpg

Someone spent $4 just to be able to post that.

Finally got around to playing Toybox Turbos. Fucking love it! It really is Micro Machines V5. So much fun, and this is just against the computer. Looking forwards to trying online; hopefully there's still a decent size community of players.

Greenlight.

Didn't someone (JaseC) buy a Greenlight license solely for that purpose?

Phawx's game looks amazing!

Just wait until Donald Trumps buys Steam games worth 1 billion dollar and posts VOTE TRUMP reviews all of them.

Train Simulator?

The controller requiring BPM to be configured was known for months. Smh, you guys. It still works without it. And once you configure it, you can just minimize Steam next time.

only to setup bindings

(1) I've been on the fence for months because I wanted to try it in hand before I bought one if possible. However, Dr. Dogg's earlier post about DS2 working well with it sounded good enough that I thought maybe I'd grab one, sell the gifts that came with it, and what the heck, hopefully it's good...
(2) If it's only to set up bindings, then why does Chubigans's guide for CSD say you have to launch the game from BPM to use the custom profile for the game that he's made/distributed? He doesn't say "if this is the first time you're using the steam controller with CSD, launch the game from BPM"... it makes it sound like it's required EVERY time. Dr. Dogg says that sometimes it works (depending on game/mapping) after you've configured it initially via BPM, but that's not 100% every game will work with your profile after you set it up if you launch outside of BPM next time... furthermore, it's absolutely ridiculous to hide the controller configuration stuff behind a mode that not everyone wants to use.

So the impressions I'm getting is that BPM is more required than not, as there's no guarantee that your bindings or the device will be recognized by the game properly outside of BPM.

Full conversation with Dr. Dogg... hopefully he doesn't mind my posting it:
Friday, October 16, 2015
3:56 PM - corrosivefrost: you gots that steam controller?
3:56 PM - corrosivefrost: and you think it works alright for stuff that needed dual analogs?
4:45 PM - Dogg is now Online.
4:45 PM - Dogg: Hahaha yes indeed.
4:46 PM - Dogg: Mostly yes. There's obviously going to be games where a controller is miles better and the same with a mouse but a fair few things I've tried kind of has a best of both slant to it.
4:47 PM - Dogg: Was muckying about in the first AssCreed earlier and was fine though really in something like that you don't get any advantage as a 360 controller is perfect for that game.
4:48 PM - Dogg: Dark Souls II was intresting as you can obviously remap buttons so I shuffled about all the things I want to hand under the buttons your fingers naturally rest on and it worked quite well.
4:50 PM - Dogg: I think mainly it will come down to a massive amount of personal prefference as to who will get the most out of it but seeing as I can now play Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3 on PC crumpled up on the sofa and Diablo III works much better than my hacked together controller config I'm happy as larry.
5:24 PM - corrosivefrost: i like the idea of the customization
5:24 PM - corrosivefrost: do you have to launch through BPM to get the thing to work right?
5:25 PM - corrosivefrost: i saw something in chubigans guide for CSD to "make sure to launch through BPM"
5:25 PM - corrosivefrost: that's a huge fucking deterrent to me buying one
5:26 PM - Dogg: Well fingers crossed Xbone Controller customisation is also coming to PC.
5:27 PM - Dogg: And yes so far you have to start in big picture mode but I've got it to work with a couple of games provided I have already stuff set up
5:29 PM - Dogg: And yes XCOM, a game that plays well with both a mouse or a controller plays fucking horrible on a Steam controller as it doesn't quite know what it's doing.
5:30 PM - corrosivefrost: bpm = no buy
5:30 PM - Dogg: Hotline Miami works really well though
5:30 PM - Dogg: Yeah I dn't blame you.
5:31 PM - Dogg: Outside of BPM it gets reconised as a keyboard and mouse so providing that's the scheme you have set up and you have made some binding already you don't even need BPM.
5:32 PM - Dogg: But if you want analog movement or xinput handlers for buttons you're going to need to use BPM
5:33 PM - Dogg: Alao you'll find some titles will only read one input device at a time. So either a controller or keyboard and mouse and they can be a right pain like AssCreed II.
5:34 PM - Dogg: Certainly not going to outright replace a controller for me but if Microsoft comes through and let's you set your own bindings in the Windows 10 app I'll grab an Xbone pad for sure.
5:34 PM - corrosivefrost: i won't
5:40 PM - Dogg: Yeah Steam controller in DMC4 in Legendary Dark Knight mode. What could possibly go wrong!
5:44 PM - corrosivefrost: hahaaha
5:48 PM - Dogg: Well it works. Yet again need to be in BPM to alter bindings but it shows up as a 360 pad outside of BPM. So yeah doable but begs the question 'why don't you just use a 360 pad'
5:55 PM - corrosivefrost: the main draw of the steam controller is that it can do PGP stuff all on it's own
6:02 PM - Dogg: Hahaha well sort of. So another oddity is the Gaers of War (the old, old verision not the we've announced it but still not relasing it U;timate edition) can either take a gamepad input or a keyboard input but not both at the same time. So you kind of end up standing there in a fire fight not doing anything. Yet again though a controller is fine for that but you can have a massively faster camera and something I've been toying with is using the gyroscope to adjust and fine tune aiming. Works alright sometimes.

Eh? Looks like I have to come up with a new password. Bollocks.
Steam Link ad

I think it's interesting that one of the things they show streaming isn't a game. There's a clip from Kung Fury. I wonder if they'll start pushing video more.
Made in SFM, how awesome is that? Funny and good ad.
Okay, all done.

Many Steamgaffers have common rpgmaker sprites. But some have unique ones.

This is Winter Demons.

yJILXfZ.png

This is going to be the jankiest game.
This is cute af.
This is creepy af.

:p really good work so far. Excited to see how things unfold.
What was that video codec pack everyone was talking about a few months back? Kinda tired of how awful video looks on my monitor even though it's supposed to be 1080p.
With VLC player you won't need any codec packs but I find it ugly. Some good ones like CCCP and KCP were already mentioned, so I'll forgo them and jump straight to the next evolutionary step in video consumption; Watch videos at 60fps, no matter the source framerate!. Listen up chumps! :p Taken from here and a bit streamlined.

♦ Uninstall ffdshow, MPC-HC, SVP, AviSynth, if you have tried this already but it didn't work. This is important. Delete all codec packs as well. I had a bad first try because I skipped this part.

♦ Download and Install ffdshow codec package. Check the boxes shown in the images.
ZseAuw2.jpg
►
GrVzpLM.png
►
tXUoqwV.png

Picture 3, you need to open video decoder configuration > Codecs > Raw Video should be changed from "disabled" to "all supported"
♦ Download and Install SVP. Do not download the "core" version. Look at images what settings to click.
♦ Download and Install AviSynth. Look at image.
♦ Open MPC-HC. Go to View > Options. Do as images tell.
♦ Now, right click on SVP in your notifications tab on your desktop. It should be "yellow" at this point. Change the interface type to "Expert". Open up Video Profiles and set like image shows.
Now you're videos will play at a "felt" 60fps, no matter if it's a TV episode or movie running natively at 24fps. If you don't like it you can always watch the "original" by just not starting (or closing) SVP Manager. So rest assured, nothing permanent is being done here, just some on-the-fly video processing.

my brother was on twitch and saw minecraft story mode and was like "do these people not know how to come up with their own franchise and not piggyback off of existing IPs? Like really, fucking minecraft? You could've just applied whatever nonsense story it is into your own original IP."

I lol'd cause I said the same thing here a few months ago.
We truly are bros.

who asked for this?

Dsyndrome

Off topic, but Everyone's Gone to the Rapture's $8 on sale this weekend on PSN, don't know whether that's a good sign for how well the game's sold. For comparison, Zero Escape: VLR is $10.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Batman: Arkham Knight PC Patch Adds Support for All DLC and Updates

All post-release content, except platform exclusive DLC, will be playable.

Posting on the game's Steam community page, social marketing manager Gaz Deaves confirmed the update--which is scheduled for release by the end of October--will allow players to access "all the patch content and non-exclusive DLC released across all platforms at that point."

Naturally, you'll have to either own the season pass of have purchased any additional post-release content to play it.

Deaves continued: "So when it launches, Batman: Arkham Knight for PC will have content-parity with console with the exception of platform-exclusive DLC). Not wanting to speak for everyone here, but I think we're all looking forward to this patch being live."

Nuuvem is having a Rebellion Games weekend...

Sniper Elite III - about $7.50
Sniper Elite III Season Pass - a little over $7
Zombie Army Trilogy - a little over $10

VPN needed for all of those I believe

Kifimbo

Should still work.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Men of War: Red Tide -- MB-D7CA291045AF6617 - Taken by Purkake4
Men of War: Condemned Heroes -- MB-4AE4D8FB9182B200 - Taken by Mikurden

fertygo

60fps post processing in video is fucking poison, wtf y'all suggesting? Its only gonna made your video weird and not too mention the blocky artifact its gonna cause.

Look I know as PC Gamer you advocating high fps and all that jazz but this shit ain't right bro.

Watch high fps vid that already recorded that way from the start, not with post processing.

60fps post processing in video is fucking poison, wtf y'all suggesting? Its only gonna made your video weird and not too mention the blocky artifact its gonna cause.

Look I know as PC Gamer you advocating high fps and all that jazz but this shit ain't right bro.

Watch high fps vid that already recorded that way from the start, not with post processing.
Nah. Watched several videos. Some worked very well, some dropped frames. That's why you can disable SVP on the fly easily.

derExperte

Off topic, but Everyone's Gone to the Rapture's $8 on sale this weekend on PSN, don't know whether that's a good sign for how well the game's sold. For comparison, Zero Escape: VLR is $10.

Not in EU. Might just wait for PS+, price dropped hard and everyone seems to agree that Ethan Carter's superior. Also that framerate and slow walking (yeah I know about the 'run' button).

Volimar

Was trying to tell people in alienware chat that the stream title still said KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM for me because I got there early and hadn't refreshed it.

Got a warning from AWBot for all caps.

Okay.

Tried to tell people it still said kabooooooooooooooooooooom instead and got chat banned for spamming.

Fuck you AWBOT.

Was trying to tell people in alienware chat that the stream title still said KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM for me because I got there early and hadn't refreshed it.

Okay.

Tried to tell people it still said kabooooooooooooooooooooom instead and got chat banned for spamming.

Fuck you AWBOT.

You should know by now that Awb0t is into schadenfreude

Okay.

Fuck you AWBOT.
Mine says "i'm gonna lick it"

rtcn63

I've been playing Bloodborne. I miss the shield, but the game is pretty damn good.
Beat the cleric beast on my first try with a +1 axe, and Gascoigne on my fourth. I'm definitely a two-hander.

I've been playing Bloodborne. I miss the shield, but the game is pretty damn good.
Beat the cleric beast on my first try with a +1 axe, and Gascoigne on my fourth. I'm definitely a two-hander.

Embrace the dodging.
Embrace the gun.

(You can get a shield not to far into the game... but the description says it's not recommended... and I've already adapted to the lack of shield for my playstyle).

We're totally off-topic, btw. ;)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Alright, well, I thought I would try to fully complete Mad Max, but the exploring gets so tedious. I think I'm calling it quits. The races suck because the handling sucks, and the exploring (especially those stupid mine fields) just feel like waste-of-time padding.

Probably got about 50% of the crap on the map done -- I think that's good enough. Overall I liked it quite a bit, but they definitely could've reigned in some of the collectathon stuff.
It's unfortunate how true your complaints are. All of those aspects are indefensibly bad.

Okay.

Fuck you AWBOT.

Could be worse. I got chat-banned for 10 minutes yesterday for trying to write my SteamID. They didn't see my name on their friends list, even though (like it showed tonight) it's one of the first you see on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom