• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

“We’ve hired a couple different companies [to help with support],” said Johnson. “The thing that’s interesting is, you go out to third-party support providers, and—at least in our experience—most of them wanted to sell you ways to reduce the number of people currently waiting in support, but they weren’t very good at selling you ways to solve customer support issues. I think we’ve all had that experience of, ‘I get it. You’re trying to get me off the line.’ We’re not super interested in providing crappy support in volume.”
OGrP5QK.gif

So I was about to go grab a Steam controller after reading Dr. Dogg's earlier write up... sounded interesting enough to throw $50 at, figuring I could resell it if I don't like it.

Then I learned that in order to use the Steam controller you have to launch a game from BPM?

Yeah, no sale on that, Valve.
If I'm waiting for you to give me the option to disable that mode completely, I don't want it to hold me hostage before I can use your controller. Get fucked.

Grief.exe

So I was about to go grab a Steam controller after reading Dr. Dogg's earlier write up... sounded interesting enough to throw $50 at, figuring I could resell it if I don't like it.

Then I learned that in order to use the Steam controller you have to launch a game from BPM?

If I'm waiting for you to give me the option to disable that mode completely, I don't want it to hold me hostage before I can use your controller. Get fucked.

Why would of force BPM? That's so arbitrary.

From the Steam Controller thread, you used to be able to run it on Windows 98, and even older, but now it does require Steam. I wonder if that can be nodded out, since the functionality to run without Steam is there.

At least Steam's BPM button is smaller than before. I've been trapped in it for minutes and it's terrible.
Just crappy support to a few people at a time instead

I mean, assuming their current support people are "trained by Valve to an acceptable level," or whatever, their rule of thumb is to ignore everything and give you a boilerplate reply. So, if your issue is not exactly covered in their support categories you're basically screwed.

And this is how it's always been.

Why would of force BPM? That's so arbitrary.

From the Steam Controller thread, you used to be able to run it on Windows 98, and even older, but now it does require Steam. I wonder if that can be nodded out, since the functionality to run without Steam is there.

Apparently, according to dogg, if you need xinput mapping so you get analog/buttons, that's done by steam through BPM -- I first noticed this in chubigan's guide for using the steam controller with CSD... one of the steps is to make sure you launch CSD from BPM.

So I asked dogg about it... and here's his response:

5:31 PM - Dogg: Outside of BPM it gets reconised as a keyboard and mouse so providing that's the scheme you have set up and you have made some binding already you don't even need BPM.
5:32 PM - Dogg: But if you want analog movement or xinput handlers for buttons you're going to need to use BPM

Happy Weekend! :)

Nobody took Paranormal Spring? C'mon, SteamGAF...I know you don't all have it. And sure, it's not Artifex Mundi-level hidden object quality. But it's campy fun - at some points straight-up unintentional belly laughs - and the puzzles aren't too bad. A few uncanny valley faces to get past, but just chalk that up to mild horror elements.

Thanks for the giveaway once again, TSI.

Dsyndrome

Just learned that you can specify regilding in Clicker Heroes and not have it be random... once again, another game changer. Hello super-powerful Samurai.

Lomax

My impression from the thread is you have to use BPM for configuring it, but after you have it set up if you launch a game without BPM it works fine. I also have the impression you have to be in the Steam Beta to even get a client that works right with it, so it's clear that this "first wave" soft launch is still basically still the end of the beta test (to no one's surprise). I'm sure by the main release in November they will have ironed out a lot of this.

On the note brought up yesterday, it sounds like games that are designed for dual analog work fine if you just configure the touch pad correctly (and people say the one analog stick is really good). It even sounds like games that properly support both controllers and kb/m at the same time allows for some really nice hybrid setups. So I'm back to leaning towards getting one.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Apparently, according to dogg, if you need xinput mapping so you get analog/buttons, that's done by steam through BPM -- I first noticed this in chubigan's guide for using the steam controller with CSD... one of the steps is to make sure you launch CSD from BPM.

So I asked dogg about it... and here's his response:

5:31 PM - Dogg: Outside of BPM it gets reconised as a keyboard and mouse so providing that's the scheme you have set up and you have made some binding already you don't even need BPM.
5:32 PM - Dogg: But if you want analog movement or xinput handlers for buttons you're going to need to use BPM

Mine is at home on a box on my porch... but that is certainly disappointing news.

Having to completely re-install windows, OS drive seems to be dead dead. What is this life ;-;

Wish I could go buy a steam controller from gamestop now, sigh. Although of course at the moment I wouldn't be able to use it >_>

Phawx

Okay, all done.

Many Steamgaffers have common rpgmaker sprites. But some have unique ones.

This is Winter Demons.

yJILXfZ.png

This is going to be the jankiest game.

Messiah

If WD won't be a MURDERER \o/ in that game I'll be disappointed.

Edit: And a reminder, need some more noobs to sign up or I will get my ass kicked into oblivion.
header.jpg

Participants:

1 - Messiah
2 - Leafhopper
3 - Se7enSword
4 - Uzzy
5 - Rayge
6 - Deques
7 -
8 -

Everyone's welcome to join!

t1445104800z1.png