• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

aw350

Banned
I'm just worried about the product key situation being a bitch(to clarify I am a Windows 8 product key and I've upgraded up over the years)

If you installed Windows 10 on top of another version of Windows *and* verified that Windows 10 managed to activate itself, you should be fine - after you install Windows 10 on the same hardware again it will recognize the machine and activate itself.

Worst case, if Windows 10 didn't manage to get to activation yet after you installed it on top of the previous version of Windows, because the machine went dead before that, you will have to reinstall the previous version of Windows, activate it via the key that you have, then install Windows 10 on top, wait for it to activate (or force it to do it) - and after that you will be able to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine without worrying about activation.

How does it recognize activations? Have three drives, OS ssd, 1 TB ssd, and 2 TB HD with the first now being trash. If I'm reinstalling Windows 10 on the second drive than it wouldn't have any way to recognize it right, despite having my microsoft account attached?

aw350

Banned
How does it recognize activations? Have three drives, OS ssd, 1 TB ssd, and 2 TB HD with the first now being trash. If I'm reinstalling Windows 10 on the second drive than it wouldn't have any way to recognize it right, despite having my microsoft account attached?

It ties activations to combinations of hardware (things like serial numbers on disk drives, etc) and verifies new activation attempts against that. There is some leeway for upgrades and failures, your hardware can change - just not too drastically, ie, if you upgrade a video card, it'd be fine, but if you upgrade a mobo / CPU / half of the disks, Windows is likely going to decide that it's a new machine (it will probably be right).

I think it doesn't matter which drive you install on - what matters is that the drives that the system was activated on are still there. Two drives out of three with all other hardware being the same should be no problem - *if* Windows 10 managed to activate before the drive went dead (and if it didn't, you'll have to start from the version of Windows for which you have the key, like I said).

Knurek

It ties activations to combinations of hardware (things like serial numbers on disk drives, etc) and verifies new activation attempts against that. There is some leeway for upgrades and failures, your hardware can change - just not too drastically, ie, if you upgrade a video card, it'd be fine, but if you upgrade a mobo / CPU / half of the disks, Windows is likely going to decide that it's a new machine (it will probably be right).

Unless something changed recently, the only thing that matters is the motherboard.
And even then, you can request an upgraded key, provided your old one isn't being used online.

Interesting, thanks! Wish me luck for tomorrow lol, going to bed for now.

I used Vista until two weeks before 8 launched and I had built my new computer so windows registration isn't something I know anything about.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I'm just worried about the product key situation being a bitch(to clarify I am a Windows 8 product key and I've upgraded up over the years)

It'll work out, one way or another. Will just move all of the stuff off my 1 TB ssd and then use the boot media I made off my Surface Pro 2 to install it

If you installed Windows 10 on top of another version of Windows *and* verified that Windows 10 managed to activate itself, you should be fine - after you install Windows 10 on the same hardware again it will recognize the machine and activate itself.

Worst case, if Windows 10 didn't manage to get to activation yet after you installed it on top of the previous version of Windows, because the machine went dead before that, you will have to reinstall the previous version of Windows, activate it via the key that you have, then install Windows 10 on top, wait for it to activate (or force it to do it) - and after that you will be able to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine without worrying about activation.

I think it doesn't matter which drive you install on - what matters is that the drives that the system was activated on are still there. Two drives out of three with all other hardware being the same should be no problem - *if* Windows 10 managed to activate before the drive went dead (and if it didn't, you'll have to start from the version of Windows for which you have the key, like I said).

Change in Windows 10 build 10565 makes activation less of a headache

Just tallied up all the stuff I've won from the Alienware stream - I've received a disgusting amount of games. I'm never going to be able to play half this stuff.

Just tallied up all the stuff I've won from the Alienware stream - I've received a disgusting amount of games. I'm never going to be able to play half this stuff.

Must be nice... :p
I think a lot of the things I did manage to win were things I had 0 interest in because I already owned them and so they just became freebies for someone on my friends list.

aw350

Banned

Ha! That's great, thanks, and right on point. No need to install old Windows then in any case, just feed the key for it to Windows 10 should it need it.

Unless something changed recently, the only thing that matters is the motherboard.
And even then, you can request an upgraded key, provided your old one isn't being used online.

I don't know about the only thing that matters being the motherboard - it might in practice outweigh everything else, yes, but I remember Microsoft folks discussing activation (Vista-time) talking about CPU / disk drives / NICs / videocards and some other things. That said, NICs are now 99% integrated, so they stopped playing a role and got merged with "the motherboard", and disk drives are unreliable sources of info for a variety of reasons, so perhaps it is indeed just the motherboard for most configurations.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Play Witcher 3 :p

Since Dirty Funds is still broken for me, I'm waiting for all of the DLC to release before playing (from the beginning) again.

You are taking that sorsay romulus hate to a new level.

He just harbours a deep dislike towards me because, from his perspective, I created an "avatar cult" and only do things such as key giveaways and Family Sharing raffles for attention. It's no skin off my nose, though.

No JaseC bought Greenlight thinking it was a +1

:(

fertygo

Wanderer started it's Kickstarter for those interested.

Trailer

Kickstarter

00b4f15efc0b5b4f2a235c43cad9f517_original%20-%20Copy_zpsurdc7kee.jpg
919c40de151dce51884b1ffc17fa9aad_original%20-%20Copy_zpsliwo61yi.png
70b66fd26e383c6f7613688c1af3cb2c_original%20-%20Copy_zpshhfthsur.png
71b029e8a92ebdafb125c11d3e7d315e_original%20-%20Copy_zpskamsvo37.png

Maybe this can became more chill version of Darkest Dungeon.

Looks great

zkylon

zkylewd
there's a weird irony thing to the minecraft adventure game being on steam but not actual minecraft

i should be sleepnig

dang

XBP

Add game to your cart, go to buy it and you should see it discounted. You would still need a gog account to redeem the game and get it DRM free ;)

No idea why its not working for me. This is what I see when I add the game and go to checkout

tUxXEsp.png

Even tried going through my US VPN and see the same thing.

Tizoc

I tried again and it gave me 85% off so under $4, I'd get more copies to gift/trade with you guys but I'm really tight on cash now XO

XBP

I tried again and it gave me 85% off so under $4, I'd get more copies to gift/trade with you guys but I'm really tight on cash now XO

Do you have a paypal account? I can send you 4$ right now if you want and you can gift me a copy?

Ludens

Banned
Anyway no one officially thanked me, you should be ashamed, guys. I hope Telltale will invade your FOB.
Also Tizoc will probably be fired because his chief will catch him gifting Minecraft copies instead of working, you should be ashamed twice now.
Knurek you stole my glory, go away.

Tizoc

Anyway no one officially thanked me, you should be ashamed, guys. I hope Telltale will invade your FOB.
Also Tizoc will probably be fired because his chief will catch him gifting Minecraft copies instead of working, you should be ashamed twice now.
Knurek you stole my glory, go away.

Oh don't worry my bosses are chill and they wouldn't know since my pc isn't monitored, plus slow work day XP

Gonna try and get a few copies, but if I do I won't be able to trade them until like 7 hours from now when I get back home :X

I'll post back if I manage to get a few copies, but don't hold your breath on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom