• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurm3n

Neo Member
GTAV isn never going to be cheap, huh?

I dont remember GTAIV hold this much in price across all platforms and that game had campaign DLC to help curb trade ins a bit. I held off on the PS3 version, held off on the PS4 version, and this freakin' PC version was "on sale" at full price during the summer seal with some bullshit tokens packed in.

dammit rockstar i ain't paying more than $20 for this thing. hurry up and saturate the market already so that i can get my cheap GTA on.

I'm counting on the following halloween and christmas sales, though it seems to me like 20 bucks is very low, I don't think they are going to discount more than 50% in a sale.

yuraya

GTAV isn never going to be cheap, huh?

Nope. 3 million owners on steamspy and constantly top 5 seller on store page. They will probably release some dlc or some new edition just to constantly keep the price at $60. PS4 and X1 versions still kind of expensive on amazon too.

Arthea

Nope. 3 million owners on steamspy and constantly top 5 seller on store page. They will probably release some dlc or some new edition just to constantly keep the price at $60. PS4 and X1 versions still kind of expensive on amazon too.

It will keep up until they release new GTA, true, but then it will drop as a rock
or not as a rock

The game will be $30 at launch. So just means you aren't getting an early discount, which admittedly is kind of whack but it is what it is.

Well, that seems a tad too high for me regardless, tough luck.
What I'm saying I won't be buying for $30 either if/when it's released.

What is the most a game has gotten when crowdfunded on indiegogo?

Actually didn't know indiegogo was that popular as I have only used kickstarter.

The most a game has done is probably under a million as I don't see it on this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_funded_crowdfunding_projects

Wouldn't say indiegogo is that popular for games, but Lab Zero have a good relationship with them, they had a successful campaign for Skullgirls DLC and IGG takes less cut than KS.

Parsnip

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
VR Painting - TiltBrush

Goddamn I want a VIVE for stuff like this, might have to get one instead of upgrading my graphic card next year.

How are the VR headset for people who is near-sighted and have to use glasses/contact lenses?

Arthea

At least it doesn't look as hideous as Skullgirls.
Will have to keep an eye on it, though I'm kind of more interested in the Hiroki Kikuta soundtrack than the game itself.

Lucky for you soundtrack is cheaper but comes without a game, of course.

Will buy GTA 5 for 5 dollars during a price error.

that's the spirit!
I'm with you, instead I $5 it a decade from now or some more, no rush

Hektor

At least it doesn't look as hideous as Skullgirls.
Will have to keep an eye on it, though I'm kind of more interested in the Hiroki Kikuta soundtrack than the game itself.

Skullgirls is beautiful, what are you talking about?
latest

- Escapist publishes article concerning apparent illegal activities at Cloud Imperium Games [CIG], including embezzlement, racism, ageism, and homophobic behaviour - serious and illegal if true. Most of these claims are directed towards the actions of the CEO Chris Roberts and his wife (and VP of Marketing) Sandi Gardiner, mostly towards the latter. The multiple sources are treated anonymously.
- Star Citizen Redditors lose it and start investigating as all good net detectives do. They find a series of reviews posted on review site Glassdoor Australia that contains very similar claims (in some cases word for word duplicates) as in the Escapist article, posted in the days before the article was published. The flames of destruction begin to grow.
- Chris Roberts responds by sending an (understandably) emotionally charged email to the Escapist, but doesn't have his comments added to the article until after it has been published.
- Lizzy Finnegan (the author of the article) begins refuting claims the anonymous sources were a fabrication and the information was taken from the Glassdoor reviews.
- This is then corroborated by senior staff at Escapist, who post an article providing further details surrounding the sources. One of the sources apparently provided evidence by way of an employee ID card with the name blocked out.
- Escapist staff clarify that Chris Roberts' reply was received before publication but was not noticed because it was sent to a spam folder and that he only sent it to one staffer when he should have sent it to others working on the article.
- Several current employees publicly comment on their experience working at CIG, voicing a positive opinion of the company and Star Citizen's development.
- Escapist runs a podcast discussing the article, repeating the claims of illegal activity and criticising the development and management of the ambitious title.
- Redditors go from "livid" to "completely batshit furious holy wackadoos" and up their investigation/harassment (depending on your perspective).
- CIG co-founder and former attorney Ortwin Freyermuth sends Escapist a strongly worded letter further refuting the claims made, demanding that the site retract their article, issue a public apology to those accused, and allow an independant third party investigate the validity of their sources. The letter continues to question the validity of the anonymous sources, pointing out that employee ids are not used by the company at any office location.
- Lizzy comments via twitter that the id described looks similar to images provided by those conversing with her. Said images show generic RFID cards used by many many companies around the world (side note: the uni I work at uses these cards. I have several; didn't realise I was secretly a CIG insider ;) ).
- CIG employees show their "id cards" and prove that there is no identifying information such as names printed on them.
- The Freyermuth letter gives Escapist a 24 hour ultimatum to meet their demands or face legal action in the U.S. and the U.K.
- Freyermuth also states that to CIG's knowledge several other journalistic sites were offered this "inside information", suggesting this is not a case of separate individuals but of a coordinated effort. These other sites declined on the basis of no hard evidence substantiating the claims made.
- Derek Smart throughout all this giggles with childish glee.

Note that before all of this happened Escapist had also run several articles that (depending on who you ask) showed noticeable bias against the game. They have also been linked with Derek Smart (who's been campaigning against the game and depending on who you ask has been at odds with Roberts for several years predating Star Citizen) by way of him, Lizzy, and Escapist in general being supporters of GamerGate and "ethics in journalism", a hilarious case of irony to be sure. Also noteworthy is that Smart had recently been seeking the support of Gamergaters in his attacks against the game.
And as insane as Redditors are, they have nothing on ol' Smarty Pants (case in point, his recent outcries via twitter involve comparing Freyermuth to Hitler due to his name, and threatening to sue various people including industry exec Kevin Dent for arguing with him over the internet).

That's probably not everything, and some of it isn't in order correctly, but this plot is getting so twisty even George R. R. Martin wouldn't be able to disentangle it.

tumblr_maeyyt1goD1rcarhco1_500.gif
Good summary. Looks like Escapist fucked up and doubles down on it. Good luck on CiG to blast their asses. Making controversy like that just for clicks should not go unpunished.

dex3108

Yo SteamGAF that owns PS4, which country should i use for US account? Does those tax issues that we had to be careful when buying on Amazon apply on PSN too?

Tizoc

^I think I use California for my US account and amazon address?

$30 tier is lowest tier with a digital copy of a game? Isn't that kinda high?

Not considering all the work they've put in fr the animation.

$30's fine for me and I don't generally drop $30 for crowdfunding games, but this is from a group I've enjoyed their previous work so I'm confident they'll deliver a very interesting game.
I don't like how it looks, that's all.

That doesn't answer the question; what about it don't you like :p
You just repeated what what you posted before.

If the combo of pretty looking characters+body horror and freaky animations creep you out, well...that's intentional bruv~

indiegogo campaigns always make me weary. It's as if they had enough confidence they could pull in some money but not enough to take a chance at failure through KS

It's a fixed funding campaign so if it fails to reach its goal then all backers will be refunded.

ahh okay, i assumed that all indiegogos got their money even if the goal isn't reached. I was looking on their website to see how it handled contributions but i couldn't find anything that talked about it

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Rocket League Is Getting Free, Spooky Halloween DLC

Rocket League is still going strong, and now you’ve got more reason to play this month. Psyonix will be incorporating free DLC that has a chance of dropping after your matches.

There are six different items you can collect starting on October 18. They are:

• “Calavera” Antenna
  • “Candy Corn” Rocket Trail
  • “Carriage” Wheels
  • “Fuzzy Brute” Antenna
  • “Fuzzy Vampire” Antenna
  • “Pumpkin” Topper

Anything you don’t collect by November 2, goes back into the vault. You’ll have to wait until Halloween 2016 for another chance to nab these items.

There’s also a new set of DLC coming later this month. On October 13, the Revenge of the Battle-Cars brings two classic cars and a collection of customization content, as well as five new trophies. You’ll be able to pick that up for $3.99. You don’t need it for the free goodies, though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
indiegogo campaigns always make me weary. It's as if they had enough confidence they could pull in some money but not enough to take a chance at failure through KS

ahh okay, i assumed that all indiegogos got their money even if the goal isn't reached. I was looking on their website to see how it handled contributions but i couldn't find anything that talked about it

dQMY6GT.png

Yo SteamGAF that owns PS4, which country should i use for US account? Does those tax issues that we had to be careful when buying on Amazon apply on PSN too?

I'm from NY and I never get charged with tax on buying digital products from the PS store. However at Amazon, tax does get charged.

Ryne

"Please note that this is a Fixed Funding campaign. Though your payment will be processed immediately, you will receive a refund if the campaign does not reach its funding goal."

I like KS way better. Rather take the money once it is funded than have it taken right away.

"Please note that this is a Fixed Funding campaign. Though your payment will be processed immediately, you will receive a refund if the campaign does not reach its funding goal."

I like KS way better. Rather take the money once it is funded than have it taken right away.

seems fair then.

I wonder why they didn't go to KS though. What advantage would they gain from indiegogo if they're doing a fixed funding campaign instead of a KS. Is it that the funding is more certain under the a fixed funding campaign vs what amounts to pledges from a KS campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom