• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

Banned
And CSGO is reaching Dodo 2 numbers

vQNOkAO.jpg

They're still away from Dota's overall peak though, and also very, very far away from the unique user count, despite the boatloads of smurfs.

It's still mighty impressive though.

Messiah

In Narcissu, a young girl plays it, granted, she had ulterior motives for doing that.

From the Narcissu description on Steam:

"This is a story of disease and suffering [...]"

So it's just fitting that one of the characters is playing pachinko.

Arthea

From the Narcissu description on Steam:

"This is a story of disease and suffering [...]"

So it's just fitting that one of the characters is playing pachinko.

It just occurred to me that this description does disservice to this VN, because there is certainly a double meaning bellow the surface and description kinda ignores that, not that it can be any other way. Just a thought.

edited: sorry for ignoring your joke, I got distracted by meaning of life and all that stuff.

Looks like Square is readying a patch for FFV

https://steamdb.info/app/382890/history/

about time too
They are very slow with patching, so this is kinda fast

Maniac

Banned
I expected Star Citizen to end up being a disappointment because they just seem to be trying to do way too much, but all this drama is weird. I guess Derek Smart has been involved in so many train wrecks that he knows one when he sees one.

He's spending more time on twitter harassing Star Citizen and CIG than actually developing his newest "MMO"

Which, mind you, is in Early Access at the moment, and has leaderboards for the current deathmatch. And they've supposedly finished dozens of multicrew ships that're not in the Early Access version because they're doing "focused testing" on... Nothing, at the moment.

Anyway, there's only 13 people when you look at the "Top 30 players" of the only playable gamemode in the game, so that should tell you something.

Fuck Smart though, fuck him. The fact that he's personally harassing Roberts, his wife and posting pictures of their kids on his twitter? Disgusting. The man is just an asshole. A grade-a asshole.

And I expected SC to be disappointing with the feature creep too, but what I've played of the recently released multi-crew ships and whatnot has been great, so I actually think it has a chance of making good on its many promises. Only time will tell.

Arthea

I KNOW NOTHING! >.<

FFV would be a great game if they used GBA graphics :(

you people are so obsessed with graphics! It's doesn't matter, FF5 is a good game, nevermind graphics.
GBA also has resolution of a pocket watch, in case you forgot

Right now would be a perfect time for Lightning Returns. I'm playing Jack all ATM. At least I'm cutting some backlog.

Lightning returns when it suits her, not you

sorry I had to

I have this feeling that or she returns around Xmas or not this year at all

aw350

Banned
Get some, give some.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (aw350, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

bitDungeon II -- MB-DE42D6C48ACBDB47 - Taken by gurm3n. 1 entrants total.
Pixel Piracy -- MB-B8B8BD733025D225 - Taken by salazar547. 3 entrants total.

t1444049568z1.png

Deques

you people are so obsessed with graphics! It's doesn't matter, FF5 is a good game, nevermind graphics.
GBA also has resolution of a pocket watch, in case you forgot

I know that FFV is a good game no matter what, but the character sprites are really hideous while the monster sprites look much better

Yrael

- Escapist publishes article concerning apparent illegal activities at Cloud Imperium Games [CIG], including embezzlement, racism, ageism, and homophobic behaviour - serious and illegal if true. Most of these claims are directed towards the actions of the CEO Chris Roberts and his wife (and VP of Marketing) Sandi Gardiner, mostly towards the latter. The multiple sources are treated anonymously.
- Star Citizen Redditors lose it and start investigating as all good net detectives do. They find a series of reviews posted on review site Glassdoor Australia that contains very similar claims (in some cases word for word duplicates) as in the Escapist article, posted in the days before the article was published. The flames of destruction begin to grow.
- Chris Roberts responds by sending an (understandably) emotionally charged email to the Escapist, but doesn't have his comments added to the article until after it has been published.
- Lizzy Finnegan (the author of the article) begins refuting claims the anonymous sources were a fabrication and the information was taken from the Glassdoor reviews.
- This is then corroborated by senior staff at Escapist, who post an article providing further details surrounding the sources. One of the sources apparently provided evidence by way of an employee ID card with the name blocked out.
- Escapist staff clarify that Chris Roberts' reply was received before publication but was not noticed because it was sent to a spam folder and that he only sent it to one staffer when he should have sent it to others working on the article.
- Several current employees publicly comment on their experience working at CIG, voicing a positive opinion of the company and Star Citizen's development.
- Escapist runs a podcast discussing the article, repeating the claims of illegal activity and criticising the development and management of the ambitious title.
- Redditors go from "livid" to "completely batshit furious holy wackadoos" and up their investigation/harassment (depending on your perspective).
- CIG co-founder and former attorney Ortwin Freyermuth sends Escapist a strongly worded letter further refuting the claims made, demanding that the site retract their article, issue a public apology to those accused, and allow an independant third party investigate the validity of their sources. The letter continues to question the validity of the anonymous sources, pointing out that employee ids are not used by the company at any office location.
- Lizzy comments via twitter that the id described looks similar to images provided by those conversing with her. Said images show generic RFID cards used by many many companies around the world (side note: the uni I work at uses these cards. I have several; didn't realise I was secretly a CIG insider ;) ).
- CIG employees show their "id cards" and prove that there is no identifying information such as names printed on them.
- The Freyermuth letter gives Escapist a 24 hour ultimatum to meet their demands or face legal action in the U.S. and the U.K.
- Freyermuth also states that to CIG's knowledge several other journalistic sites were offered this "inside information", suggesting this is not a case of separate individuals but of a coordinated effort. These other sites declined on the basis of no hard evidence substantiating the claims made.
- Derek Smart throughout all this giggles with childish glee.

Note that before all of this happened Escapist had also run several articles that (depending on who you ask) showed noticeable bias against the game. They have also been linked with Derek Smart (who's been campaigning against the game and depending on who you ask has been at odds with Roberts for several years predating Star Citizen) by way of him, Lizzy, and Escapist in general being supporters of GamerGate and "ethics in journalism", a hilarious case of irony to be sure. Also noteworthy is that Smart had recently been seeking the support of Gamergaters in his attacks against the game.
And as insane as Redditors are, they have nothing on ol' Smarty Pants (case in point, his recent outcries via twitter involve comparing Freyermuth to Hitler due to his name, and threatening to sue various people including industry exec Kevin Dent for arguing with him over the internet).

That's probably not everything, and some of it isn't in order correctly, but this plot is getting so twisty even George R. R. Martin wouldn't be able to disentangle it.

tumblr_maeyyt1goD1rcarhco1_500.gif

Thanks for this summary.

Only a bit in so far, but Arkham Knight isn't so bad. Other than the 'tutorial' button prompts that won't fuck off.

The Batmobile though....is basically the anti-batman vehicle. "It fires suppression rounds". Great, but that isn't stopping me from literally destroying all of Gotham while driving around. Seems, out of place.

Will probably have a better ending

derExperte

edit: Ups, scrap that, it's $5 for a Steam key

Sylivio $1 - https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

Only a few months old and it got generally strong reviews.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/09/sylvio-review-horror/

I almost walked away during the opening moments, when Sylvio seems like yet another cobbled together mess of repetitive graphical assets. I figured I&#8217;d play until the first jump scare and then quit. Instead, I found a game that uses its limited resources to find clever ways to scare the life out of me. It&#8217;s a quiet horror game &#8211; an anti-screamer, right down to the calm almost-whispers of the protagonist &#8211; and it&#8217;s a triumph.

The criticized save system has been revamped in a patch.

Tizoc

So what're your thoughts on the latest Jimquisition ep. regarding microtransactions?

Who actually plays pachinko?

Japanese people; Yakuza games have Pachinko parlors you can play pachinko games in.

Why must there be a thread about every pachinko thing Konami makes? SEGA, SNK and Konami to name a few have made pachinko based on their franchises for years, do you guys just get off on the self inflicted 'misery' from such news?

Arthea

See edit! :( So far every game there was $1 minimum so I didn't bother to check before posting.

not every, they already had similar daily deals before, it was Turf that didn't check the last time they had one of those.

That's a very weird pricing scheme. You can get the game as low as 25 cents, but you gotta pay a extra 4.75$ to get it on Steam? That's one interesting steam tax.

That's steam cheevos tax, I almost said card tax, but then I remembered it has no cards, good luck selling it indiegamestand!

MUnited83

For you.
That's a very weird pricing scheme. You can get the game as low as 25 cents, but you gotta pay a extra 4.75$ to get it on Steam? That's one interesting steam tax.

Milamber

Why must there be a thread about every pachinko thing Konami makes? SEGA, SNK and Konami to name a few have made pachinko based on their franchises for years, do you guys just get off on the self inflicted 'misery' from such news?

I know, right!?

We should just talk about SEGA's themed nuru soaplands.

GTAV isn never going to be cheap, huh?

I dont remember GTAIV hold this much in price across all platforms and that game had campaign DLC to help curb trade ins a bit. I held off on the PS3 version, held off on the PS4 version, and this freakin' PC version was "on sale" at full price during the summer seal with some bullshit tokens packed in.

dammit rockstar i ain't paying more than $20 for this thing. hurry up and saturate the market already so that i can get my cheap GTA on.

Arthea

We probably do, Suikoden pachinko thread got drowned in tears for example, because at that time Suikoden 6 was still believed to be a thing.

fertygo

GTAV isn never going to be cheap, huh?

I dont remember GTAIV hold this much in price across all platforms and that game had campaign DLC to help curb trade ins a bit. I held off on the PS3 version, held off on the PS4 version, and this freakin' PC version was "on sale" at full price during the summer seal with some bullshit tokens packed in.

dammit rockstar i ain't paying more than $20 for this thing. hurry up and saturate the market already so that i can get my cheap GTA on.

Should bite when GMG have rockstar week, the deal + coupon should've quite good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom