• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiedog

It can get really fucking hard too.

My guess Steam doesn't give points or whatever is because how easy is to cheat achievements. Download SAM-->have all achievements.

And even if they locked that down the PC is so open that you can download cleared saves that give you most/all achievements, edit files specific to a game, use console commands, etc.

MUnited83

For you.
And even if they locked that down the PC is so open that you can download cleared saves that give you most/all achievements, edit files specific to a game, use console commands, etc.

Both those are easily blocked by developers though. Pretty sure you can't, for example, use console commands on Skyrim and get achievements on that same session. And I'm pretty certain that certain games have a save that is in a way "tied" to your account, and saves from a external source will not work to unlock achievements. (of course, that restriction can easily be overcome by reverse-engineering that so the save "belongs" to you)

Oh god damn it, In The Legend of Korra I thought for some reason you unlocked an outfit for completing the pro bending missions on Ace difficulty, but no, you get a talisman instead.

I WANT TO DRESS UP KORRA IN KAWAII OUTFITS, WHY WON'T YOU LET ME HAVE THIS GAME?!
The whole game is a big fun wasted opportunity, and season 4 is on but there's no season 4 outfit?

louiedog

Both those are easily blocked by developers though. Pretty sure you can't, for example, use console commands on Skyrim and get achievements on that same session. And I'm pretty certain that certain games have a save that is in a way "tied" to your account, and saves from a external source will not work to unlock achievements. (of course, that restriction can easily be overcome by reverse-engineering that so the save "belongs" to you)

Right, but unless you get every single developer on Steam to do that, from a single guy who managed to get his crappy student project greenlit by giving it away for free to Ubisoft Montreal, you can't really have a unified achievement system that gives points that mean anything.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I had to use the console commands, specifically the one to disable and enable collision, in Skyrim to get out of a spot I wasn't supposed to be stuck in and still got multiple achievements in the same session. Though I re-enabled collision after escaping the small hole behind a staircase I was trapped in, so it might only be blocked while actually using commands, but I doubt it.

dani_dc

B0wdicTCEAEWSQn.jpg

Well if I already hadn't been playing much on Steam lately...

Well, I don't think they every show the protagonist? So probably only some small dialogue changes at most I reckon.
What about fluids in the adult scenes?

MUnited83

For you.
I had to use the console commands, specifically the one to disable and enable collision, in Skyrim to get out of a spot I wasn't supposed to be stuck in and still got multiple achievements in the same session. Though I re-enabled collision after escaping the small hole behind a staircase I was trapped in, so it might only be blocked while actually using commands, but I doubt it.

I remember a warning popping up when I was messing with setscale, ressurrect, etc, etc commands.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm gearing up for the big day tomorrow, so I'm headed off to bed to get as much rest as possible before subjecting myself to 24 straight hours of gaming.

The gaming marathon starts:
t1414252800z4.png

If you haven't had a chance yet, be sure and check out my donation page because I'm giving away over $1,000 worth of games courtesy of IsThereAnyDeal.com.

The whole game is a big fun wasted opportunity, and season 4 is on but there's no season 4 outfit?
I'm actually really enjoying my time with it(Although the boss fight at the end of chapter six with the three mecha tanks can fuck off, on extreme difficulty you can only take one hit and then it's back from the start again!)
And oh goodness don't remind me of season 4, I still haven't started book 3, I'm dreadful at committing time to watching TV shows.

Jawmuncher

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0wdicTCEAEWSQn.jpg[img]
Well if I already hadn't been playing much on Steam lately...

What about fluids in the adult scenes?[/QUOTE]

I covered that.
The CGs have numerous "states" so they just won't use the ones that wouldn't work for that gender.

-------------

Ended up deciding on passing on Bayonetta 2 for now.
Will probably get it when I get back. Hopefully it will be cheaper because as much as I love games. Saving money is always a good thing.

dani_dc

I covered that.
The CGs have numerous "states" so they just won't use the ones that wouldn't work for that gender.

-------------

Ended up deciding on passing on Bayonetta 2 for now.
Will probably get it when I get back. Hopefully it will be cheaper because as much as I love games. Saving money is always a good thing.
Ah, missed your post, playing Bayonetta is distracting.

Get it when you can afford it.
One of the few games that gets me smiling just from playing,
Last game that did that was... Metsl Gear Rising.

Damn Platinum.

Coldsun

Banned
I'm gearing up for the big day tomorrow, so I'm headed off to bed to get as much rest as possible before subjecting myself to 24 straight hours of gaming.

The gaming marathon starts:
t1414252800z4.png

If you haven't had a chance yet, be sure and check out my donation page because I'm giving away over $1,000 worth of games courtesy of IsThereAnyDeal.com.

Donated :D love your work with enhanced steam and extra-life is a great cause too. :D

I'm actually really enjoying my time with it(Although the boss fight at the end of chapter six with the three mecha tanks can fuck off, on extreme difficulty you can only take one hit and then it's back from the start again!)
And oh goodness don't remind me of season 4, I still haven't started book 3, I'm dreadful at committing time to watching TV shows.
Stopping at season 2? Go watch the rest!

Jawmuncher

Ah, missed your post, playing Bayonetta is distracting.

Get it when you can afford it.
One of the few games that gets me smiling just from playing,
Last game that did that was... Metsl Gear Rising.

Damn Platinum.

I would have grabbed it if I wasn't working as much as I will be next week and next.
Literally no time to play it so I didn't want to rush through it in a weekend or play it and then put if on the shelf for awhile.

I have a unpopular opinion on MGR so I don't talk about.
Though I will say it manged some smiles still.

Haunted

Is there no way to see a list of all free to play games ordered by release date anymore?

I used to check the Free to Play list every few weeks to see if any interesting games have been added. After the store overhaul, all they have now is Popular New Releases, which only lists 6 new titles that are the most popular. This might be good for discoverability if you check the page once a year, but for someone who tries to keep up to date on everything, it's worthless.

Searching by the Free to Play tag is broken, as it omits a lot of games.

Is there still a way to view the list of all F2P releases sorted by date, either on Steam or a 3rd-party site?
Speaking of shit sorting/checking on Steam, when will I be able to sort the library by release date/date added/most recently added?

One example (and why I bring it up now): I have someone who shares her library with me and she used to have 76 games for a while. Today I noticed that she had 77 in her library - there's no simple way to check which is the new one.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Gold Rush remake now has a store page. It... looks like how you'd expect it to look.

Speaking of shit sorting/checking on Steam, when will I be able to sort the library by release date/date added/most recently added?

Some time between now and Half-Life 3.

One example (and why I bring it up now): I have someone who shares her library with me and she used to have 76 games for a while. Today I noticed that she had 77 in her library - there's no simple way to check which is the new one.

I'd say asking qualifies as simple. :p

dani_dc

I would have grabbed it if I wasn't working as much as I will be next week and next.
Literally no time to play it so I didn't want to rush through it in a weekend or play it and then put if on the shelf for awhile.

I have a unpopular opinion on MGR so I don't talk about.
Though I will say it manged some smiles still.
That's a pretty good reason not to get it.

MGR wasnt a perfect game, but it was still a Platinum game through and through, which made it more enjoyable than most games out there, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it as much, hopefully Bayonetta 2 will be more your thing.

Jawmuncher

That's a pretty good reason not to get it. ugh, which made it more enjoyable than most games out there, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it as much, hopefully Bayonetta 2 will be more your thing.

i love Bayo1 so im sure it will be.
MGR had the disadvantage of being a Metal Gear game.
Had it just been Platinum Cyborg Ninja i would have probably loved it like i do bayo1.
i know thats a bad way to look at it, but my biggest complaints were all related back to metal gear. though youll still see me excited for mgr2 just wait.

dani_dc

i love Bayo1 so im sure it will be.
MGR had the disadvantage of being a Metal Gear game.
Had it just been Platinum Cyborg Ninja i would have probably loved it like i do bayo1.
i know thats a bad way to look at it, but my biggest complaints were all related back to metal gear. though youll still see me excited for mgr2 just wait.
That seems to be one of the most common complaints about it. I'm not the biggest fan of the Metal Gear franchise (though I'm excited for V), so the only reason I cared for Rising in the first place was due to platinum involvement in it, and in that sense it didn't disappoint me.

I doubt MGR2 will be better in that aspect, but in the meantime, let's get excited together when its announced!

Miker

I was playing the GOG version of The Longest Journey and it asked me for disc 2. It took me half an hour of googling and experimenting and undoing half the shit I did to get it to run in order to bypass the disc check. Turns out my borderless window program, which had absolutely no impact on the first 6 hours of the game, was the cause. Really bizarre and utterly frustrating.

Jawmuncher

That seems to be one of the most common complaints about it. I'm not the biggest fan of the Metal Gear franchise (though I'm excited for V), so the only reason I cared for Rising in the first place was due to platinum involvement in it, and in that sense it didn't disappoint me.

I doubt MGR2 will be better in that aspect, but in the meantime, let's get excited together when its announced!

if the recent lunch they had was indeed about mgr2, then i think some things could be changed. we all noticed that mgr seemed to have been saved by platinum.
my biggest issues were all story related. I think kojima only approved it rather than got involved at all with the writing. if he can rectify that i'll be really happy.
But yes im waiting for the reveal. Absolutely loved the VGX reveal awhile back.

its time for jack to let'er rip!

zkylon

zkylewd
i5d7B5BbRzAtS.png

so spent a little while playing divinity until my computer fans started making weird sounds

how bad are these numbers? (it's pretty hot right now in argieland)

i know i gotta take it to the computer shop but i really don't want to be out of a pc for a couple days if i can't help it

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i5d7B5BbRzAtS.png

so spent a little while playing divinity until my computer fans started making weird sounds

i know i gotta take it to the computer shop but i really don't want to be out of a pc for a couple days if i can't help it

The CPU core temps are within the upper limit of what I'd consider acceptable but a max of 91 degrees for the GPU is abnormally high.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
http://i.minus.com/i5d7B5BbRzAtS.png

The CPU core temps are within the upper limit of what I'd consider acceptable but a max of 91 degrees for the GPU is abnormally high.

As someone else in a tropical clime (I have no idea if Argentina counts as that actually) and with an older card, I wouldn't say abnormally high.

The sound you're hearing is your fan hitting max RPM. My recommendation would be to blow out your case and GPU with compressed air and turn down some of the more demanding settings in Divinity--Ambient Occlusion, Shadows, Depth of Field.

Then again, I actually can't remember if Divinity lets you turn those off or down.

zkylon

zkylewd
well i cleaned it up this tuesday but like i opened up and it was pretty clean

i don't know what to do

As someone else in a tropical clime (I have no idea if Argentina counts as that actually) and with an older card, I wouldn't say abnormally high.

The sound you're hearing is your fan hitting max RPM. My recommendation would be to blow out your case and GPU with compressed air and turn down some of the more demanding settings in Divinity--Ambient Occlusion, Shadows, Depth of Field.

Then again, I actually can't remember if Divinity lets you turn those off or down.
i set it up on medium and computer is pretty clean. maybe i should go lower but it looks so ugly :/

also i dunno about tropical, it's like 30°c right now

zkylon there's an in-game frame limiter, try that.
what's that?

like framerate?

what does that mean? is my gpu busted?

Strazyplus

i5d7B5BbRzAtS.png

Few questions which would neither mean life or death to your GPU. but first GPU fans will sound weird when peaking near 100% speed which lowers your life-span on the fans.

1. The GPU Ran this hot for how long? (days or always) & ( always or gaming peak loads)
2. Type of sound from the fans? (Grinding or winding)
3. GPU Fan appearance? (is there dust or trash in the way of the fan (if yes then clean it!)

If the GPU just started to run hot, the sound is as if the fan is grinding *hitting* something or is not moving at all. you will want to get it checked out as life of the GPU will be shortened by these defects.

Also I could not help to look at your GPU fan RPM, w3300 for me would be quite loud... and would be 100% fan speed. So you would be hearing your GPU trying to cool itself down, the question is are the strange sounds always occurring or is it simply when gaming?

zkylon

zkylewd
Few questions which would neither mean life or death to your GPU. but first GPU fans will sound weird when peaking near 100% speed which lowers your life-span on the fans.

1. The GPU Ran this hot for how long? (days or always) & ( always or gaming peak loads)
2. Type of sound from the fans? (Grinding or winding)
3. GPU Fan appearance? (is there dust or trash in the way of the fan (if yes then clean it!)

If the GPU just started to run hot, the sound is as if the fan is grinding *hitting* something or is not moving at all. you will want to get it checked out as life of the GPU will be shortened by these defects.

uhh let's see

1. maybe like an hour? right now it's at 47°c (116°f) with no games on
2. uhh i dunno, i guess winding? my friend said it sounded like the fans were slow i think but he didn't think it was the gpu fan. the worst thing for me is this sound that it sometimes makes that sounds like the fan suddenly turned off or something like that, then starts over. i dunno what's that about.
3. nah it's pretty clean. cleaned everything up this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom