• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBladeM6x

ok, so I played Payday 2 for the first time - and I have to admit, it can be quite addictive :p

Bruh, it's more addictive than you think. :p

sfsfefe_by_xbladem6x-d842qbg.png

RS4-

I can't deal with the shit ass default FOV in Payday 2. So bad.

And Risk of Rain is...harder since the update came out. I'm just getting mauled.

Should I get Deadly Premonition? Have the glitches been fixed?

The game breaking ones, yes. Theres still a major problem where you can't aim up or down past a certain point, making some enemies impossible to kill unless you have a shotgun. Also there's random crashes, so just remember to save every chance you get.

I just saw that there is a guy who is steam level 402. I did a quick calculation, and at the most conservative estimate, I'd wager that he spend a bit over $6k to get there.

The game breaking ones, yes. Theres still a major problem where you can't aim up or down past a certain point, making some enemies impossible to kill unless you have a shotgun. Also there's random crashes, so just remember to save every chance you get.

According to Durante the crashes dont happen that often if you reboot your PC before playing it IIRC.

Jawmuncher

Have played with the original fov in payday 2 since I started. Same thing with Resident evil 6 and ended up finishing evil within that way as well.

I just adjust to it for some reason.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Some glitches were fixed either by a patch by the developers, or Durante's fix thing, but not all problems. This said, I can't report too many problems. I played it without Durante's fix, I've also played the 360 and PS3 versions of the game. For me the only problems I experienced was the game crashing a few times during my 30 hours of playing (was doing all the sidequests), and sometimes if you left the game running for a while the frames per second would dip slowly over time until you closed and restarted the game, which was a bit odd but not killer.

That said, Deadly Premonition has never been a technical masterpiece and this version of the Director's Cut is MUCH better than the PS3 version of the game (which has almost unplayable levels of frame rate problems, I'm talking 20-24 fps commonly, some areas got as bad as 5-10 fps, and yet other areas ran a perfect 60 fps, but it changing so much was incredibly jarring), the 360 version is probably the most stable and has the least issues, but is also missing the Director's Cut content and improvements to other areas in the game.

So in my opinion, despite some flaws, Deadly Premonition's PC version is the best version of the game, and trust me when I say this, Deadly Premonition has more technical problems to its core that porting stuff. But the whole appeal of DP has always been elsewhere. Let me post my Steam reviews of the game here:

5abd9c719b79e0d8a79295761b374b61be918f1d.jpg

I had originally played Deadly Premonition on the 360 during May of 2010. I was visiting my grandmother and was out with the family at Best Buy, where an uncle of mine was considering getting a printer. Being the dork I am, I went to go check out the video game section, and there were a few copies of Deadly Premonition lined on the shelves. The cover caught my interest as a horror fan, and the cheap $20 price tag sold me on it to make a blind purchase. When we got back from our day out, I put it into the 360 and started to play.

The first thing I noticed about Deadly Premonition, and something that has remained true, is that I love its soundtrack. A few select tracks are used maybe a little too often, but the music perfectly fits the odd tone of the game, and is pretty damn catchy. Even as I am writing this review, I find myself humming a few of its tunes. This is a case where the soundtrack isn't just good, but is a big part of this game. I am convinced the game may not have been as well received by as many if it didn't have this off-kilter soundtrack that really gets you into the mood for the oddness the game throws at you.

The next thing I and about anyone else will notice is that this game looks dated. It's something of a miracle that a game in this graphical condition was released as a published disk-based console title in this day and age. It looks dated, but then controversially I would say the look fits the game. It sort of sets you into a set of expectations for the sort of game you're about to play. This may be backwards logic, but if the game had looked amazing I feel a lot of people would of found the actuality of the game to be lackluster to its looks. And as the game goes on, the odd facial expressions and clunky animations become very amusing. Notably, the Director's Cut does update the graphics some, but honestly its hardly noticeable.

The rest rolls from there. The controls are a bit awkward, but you adjust. The first chapter isn't all that great, but it gets better. And before you know it, you start getting hooked into the game. I know I did. And it's the type of game you want to talk about.

Heavily inspired by Twin Peaks (to a point in development the game got in legal trouble for far too many similarities that they had to change it, back when the game was known as Rainy Woods), the story follows the same basic premise; An FBI agent goes to investigate the homicide of a local high school beauty in a small pacific-northwestern town, but the town has a darker side the FBI agent discovers as he gets deeper into the case. The town is Greenvale, and our character in Deadly Premonition is Agent Francis York Morgan (but just call him York, that's what everybody calls him), an offbeat FBI agent who solves cases through odd measures, particularly of note in the fact he uses a system he calls profiling (that basically results to magic to figure out what happened by collecting clues), and see's shapes and messages in his morning coffee and newspaper that gives him clues to things to investigate. He also talks regularly to some unseen person named Zach. Many will quickly put together that 'Zach' is actually York's way of talking to the player, who only he seems to realize is watching everything, and who only he interacts with.

Deadly Premonition has unforgettable characters. York stands out, as the player really begins to form a connection with their odd agent, but the rest of the cast are just as good. The likes of Emily, George, Thomas, Mr. Stewart, Polly, and the rest of the colorful cast will last with you long after the game has been completed. And the story legitimately begins to get gripping. Like the rest of the game, Deadly Premonition tells an odd tale, and honestly some of what occurs in the game is absolutely ridiculous, but somehow you'll legitimately care what's going on. That is when you're not laughing your ♥♥♥ off, as the game is somehow both intentionally and unintentionally hilarious at the same time.

But it's more than just that, this game manages to actually be touching, and I found myself more emotionally involved with this game's story and characters than most any other game I've played in the last few years. And while I don't want to get ahead of myself, the last few hours of the game's story are unforgettable. Saying bye to York and the rest of Greenvale is up there as one of the hardest things I had to do as a gamer upon coming to the close of the game.

Deadly Premonition is not just, 'so bad it's good' (though definitely parts of the game are just that). The game does some things absolutely wonderfully, really stellar and uniquely. But it does other things terribly, absolutely horribly. It has flaws, a lot of them. But somehow most of these flaws become strangely part of the whole experience. They sort of blend in with everything else and become part of the overall experience of Deadly Premonition. Not everyone will like Deadly Premonition, but the title since I've played it has taken on a fairly big cult following, and for good reason.

Deadly Premonition is more than the sum of its parts. The game has obviously a lot of heart in it, and it shows. But it also is loaded with flaws, and that also shows. But somehow, the heart put into this game and the elements that make it amazing shine above the cumbersome driving, or the glitches the game has, or the fact the game has a few annoying QTEs. The term, 'experience', in games gets thrown around a lot these days, but this truly is what Deadly Premonition is. An experience.

And it's not a short one either. The game should take someone 15-20 hours to complete the first time. To do the side-quests easily adds another 5-20 hours (and you should do the side-quests, they're rather fun and most all of them add additional cutscenes and character depth, plus some of them reward you with handy items, like quick-travel or a weather doll or infinite ammo weapons, or even just new cars and suits).

The PC port has flaws. There are many fan-made work arounds and patches made to help, but these still exist. I was lucky that I didn't run into much, but the game did crash a couple of times for me, and there's this weird thing with the game where the longer you play it without closing it and re-launching it, the slower over time the FPS will get. It's hardly a perfect port, and some will definitely be turned off by this.

But it's also definitely the best version of the game. And if you haven't experienced Deadly Premonition before, you definitely ought to at least give it a try, maybe stick around for the coffee.

Deadly Premonition is not a masterpiece in a traditional sense, and it's too flawed in ways to be named a good game (maybe okay at best). But Deadly Premonition is probably one of the best gaming experiences you could have that's released in the last few years. You'll laugh, you'll cringe, you'll be hit with feels, and you'll panic. When all is said and done, we need more games like Deadly Premonition. It's the mid-tier game in one of the purest forms, flawed and arguably bad, but with so much heart and enjoyable elements you may not care, and hardly any game will put a smile on your face as much as DP does.

Dr Dogg

Well my soul is lost to Bayonetta 2 for the rest of the weekend and yes it is rather good (understatement of the year).

Though in Steamy new was playing about with a mates Windows tablet and In Home Streaming this morning, one word GAMECHANGER! (that might be two words but it looks better as one). AC IV looked awesome and having the benefits of running the application off a PC you can run redonculious resolutions and have high framerates going and even over wifi latency was only 40-50ms. Got the feeling I'm going to do something very silly, money wise, soon before the big Steam sales.

Oh and if Rhaknar's PC blows up during his streaming it's not my fault.

Congrats, but posting the game name usually helps.

Hahaha who needs to when Google can tell you it's Korra.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dark Souls -- MB-A6D9785101314371 - Taken by Shalashaska. 17 entrants total.

t1414257707z1.png

Purkake4

Banned
Could we get a modbot command that would tell us how many games we've won, given away, how many raffles we've entered and how many unclaimed games we have hanging in the ether?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just buy Deadly Premonition if you like quirky Japanese games. It's fantastic. And $2.50.

Kiru

Could we get a modbot command that would tell us how many games we've won, given away, how many raffles we've entered and how many unclaimed games we have hanging in the ether?

send a pm to modbot with subject line "my loot" and any body text

or do you mean, you want a concrete number without counting yourself ?

Yes, you should get it, and no, they haven't fixed everything; the most frustrating issue I've had is that the game kept on crashing before cutscenes, that sometimes means you lose all the progress unless you've just saved, but there are some workarounds - one of which requires you to have more than 3 GB of RAM - so don't worry too much about it.

Anteater

Yeah I wish Korra has a higher budget and more enemies/bosses, I dig the combat but it may as well be a tech demo with a few mobs and like 2 boss fights, I'd like to replay it but those same bolas throwing dudes and the mech got old.

Dusk Golem

So when do you think Valve is going to greenlight developers to release a 'Series 2' of trading cards for games? Every trading card says its part of 'Series 1' of trading cards for that game, so obviously at some point a number of games will get a 'Series 2', which not only will mean new cards, but new badges, emotes, and such. Wonder when it's eventually going to happen.

Deques

So when do you think Valve is going to greenlight developers to release a 'Series 2' of trading cards for games? Every trading card says its part of 'Series 1' of trading cards for that game, so obviously at some point a number of games will get a 'Series 2', which not only will mean new cards, but new badges, emotes, and such. Wonder when it's eventually going to happen.

In Valve time, next life time maybe?

Messiah

Me when the card update was released: "Who is stupid enough to pay for emotes and backgrounds"

Then I spent 2 bucks for this:
:salt:

And 50cents for this:
:yunica:

I regret nothing.

Got Shogun 2 from the Humble Sega sale. Everytime I play a Total war game for a few hours I reinstall Europa Universalis. So I guess that's what I will spend my weekend on ...

Edit: Also Bastion's squirts are the best emotes ever.

Dusk Golem

Soon or later, cards and emoticon are free money for Valve, so it will happen for sure.

It'll definitely happen, though I am curious if maybe they might add some things to a Series 2 or just make it an extensive of what is there.

I also wonder if card drops will work. Like will the number of card drops just increase and the card drops can randomly be from Series 1 or from Series 2, or will it be set you have a certain number of card drops from Series 1, and a certain number of card drops from Series 2.

In Valve time, next life time maybe?

It may very well be the case.

Sold a foil for $7 (after listing it two months ago), so feel like picking something up.

How is FFXIII post-Durante's fixes? I have a 660 but will wait and play it in the new year with 970 if that won't be enough to downsample to a relatively sharp level.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've got a little less than an hour before my Extra Life stream will be starting

t1414252800z4.png

Today I'll be playing
  • Shadow Warrior
  • Long Live the Queen
  • Sniper Elite 3
  • Dark Matter
  • DreadOut
  • Castle of Illusion
  • Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller
  • Super Time Force Ultra
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
  • Hatoful Boyfriend
  • Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
  • Saint's Row IV
  • Remember Me
  • Banished
  • Metro 2033 Redux
  • Lili: Child of Geos
  • The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II
each for about an hour to an hour and a half. These are all games I've never played before, so I'll be giving some quick impressions / commentary on each as the day goes on.

The whole thing will be live-streamed to my Twitch Channel so feel free to pop in any time.

Tomorrow afternoon after the live-stream is over, I'll be choosing the winners of the raffle I have going on which is sponsored by IsThereAnyDeal.com. There are 24 excellent games up for grabs. You can check out all the details here:

http://www.extra-life.org/participant/enhancedsteam

And remember - these donations go to a great and charitable cause!

This is the last time I'll be posting anything about this since I'll be busy streaming, sorry for mentioning this a few times in the last few days

Yeah I wish Korra has a higher budget and more enemies/bosses, I dig the combat but it may as well be a tech demo with a few mobs and like 2 boss fights, I'd like to replay it but those same bolas throwing dudes and the mech got old.
Like I said, it's a very enjoyable wasted opportunity, I kept thinking about the potential of a full-fledged Korra game would play like. I would love a VS mode like Star Wars: Force Unleashed, in which you can choose any character from the Avatar universe and fight it out.

120 FPS is really neat, whereas 60 FPS has a definite "look" to it 120 FPS just feels completely smooth. It's not even something you really notice in the same was as going between 30 and 60. Feels almost just like looking around in real life.

Hopefully someone unlocks Legend of Korra's framerate :/

louiedog

120 FPS is really neat, whereas 60 FPS has a definite "look" to it 120 FPS just feels completely smooth. It's not even something you really notice in the same was as going between 30 and 60. Feels almost just like looking around in real life.

I only play Quake these days because I can get 4 digit FPS. Maybe I'll play Shadow of Mordor in 10 years or so.

Rand6

Thanks for the replies @ : PetriP-TNT, MillionStabs, Chairmanchuck, Dusk Golem, Gianni Merryman and PunishedSnake.

And awesome review Dusk Golem. Sold ;)

That Red Dead thread makes me sad. Still waiting on that PC release.

Was wondering about that as well. I can only imagine they were forward thinking without a concrete timeline. Shocking, right?

Game takes place before Aang's awakening.
Open world : the 4 nations + the spirit world.
Sandbox type gameplay.
You can choose between Earth/Fire/Air/Water bending.
Each choice starts you in a different nation.
Air -> Be a monk hunted by the fire nation.
Fire -> You can enlist in the Fire nation's army.
You can learn to ride Air bisons.
Visit air temples to learn about the Avatar and also meditate to enter the spirit world.
Animations are even better than Overgrowth.

Game release date : Never.

c43.jpg

Well it seems like that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be re-releasing soon on Steam as well, since it's no longer available to purchase on the Steam store. Also the Steam keys for the game was pulled from Amazon & New Egg stores yesterday.

madjoki

Well it seems like that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be re-releasing soon on Steam as well, since it's no longer available to purchase on the Steam store. Also the Steam keys for the game was pulled from Amazon & New Egg stores yesterday.

Hopefully it will be free upgrade for existing users /w original music.
I guess it's near zero chance thought.

Nzyme32

Hmm. They spent some time testing via the old (current) version. Was hoping that would be the version to just get updated rather than having to repurchase

Hopefully someone unlocks Legend of Korra's framerate :/

Everybody knows that 43, 76, 125 and 333 are the magic FPS numbers 8|

Steam thread GAF, Endless Legend or Beyond Earth?

Playing around 4 hours with Endless Legend & 6-8 hours with Beyond Earth(can't really tell how much I played before the official US unlock) I'd say right now it's a toss up. I'd say both need patches & fixes. First of of the UI on Endless Legend is great. Right clicking to back out/exit menus, Big Screen UI toggle, surfacing all the info you really need up front. Compare that to Beyond Earth's less than stellar UI, clicking x to exit menus, no scrolling on the tech tree, no big screen UI, auto cycling to the next unit didn't work for me.

The quests seem more involved in Endless Legend with actual different scenarios for each faction. Beyond Earth has some on map quests but most are clicking a button between two options. The battles on EL aren't that great which is easily fixed by selecting auto-resolve. The music & voicovers are great in BE. The quotes are made up & I miss the gravely voice from CIV5; I would have liked real quotes from scientists & excerpts from sci-fi books instead. Compare that to EL which is slim on production values. Beyond Earth still has that "one more turn" time sink effect. You may view that as a plus or minus.

Right now I think I'm going to hold off on playing both for a while. I'd say view multiple actual play videos & see what you're longing for.

Volimar

I would ask how people are enjoying Beyond Earth, but if it's a true CIv game, then anyone who has played it is likely still immersed in its dark embrace.

madjoki

Hmm. They spent some time testing via the old (current) version. Was hoping that would be the version to just get updated rather than having to repurchase

It could be just that music licenses expired and patch isn't ready yet, so they had to take it down and will put it back after next patch. Knowing Rockstar, console versions are more important :p.

Asgaro

Interesting.

As long as it has Steam achievements, I'll consider buying it.
Personally don't care about controller support considering I'm 100% KB/M.

I also hope for increased visuals, but on the other hand: we have modding so I will just mod the game. That is, if the mods are compatible with the updated version...
It's been so long since I played the game, and at the time I hadn't gotten into modding games yet so it will be interesting to see what can be achieved.

Also, this guy.

screen18.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom