• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it seems like that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be re-releasing soon on Steam as well, since it's no longer available to purchase on the Steam store. Also the Steam keys for the game was pulled from Amazon & New Egg stores yesterday.

Great, maybe I'll finally be able to play the game.

valouris

Playing around 4 hours with Endless Legend & 6-8 hours with Beyond Earth(can't really tell how much I played before the official US unlock) I'd say right now it's a toss up. I'd say both need patches & fixes. First of of the UI on Endless Legend is great. Right clicking to back out/exit menus, Big Screen UI toggle, surfacing all the info you really need up front. Compare that to Beyond Earth's less than stellar UI, clicking x to exit menus, no scrolling on the tech tree, no big screen UI, auto cycling to the next unit didn't work for me.

The quests seem more involved in Endless Legend with actual different scenarios for each faction. Beyond Earth has some on map quests but most are clicking a button between two options. The battles on EL aren't that great which is easily fixed by selecting auto-resolve. The music & voicovers are great in BE. The quotes are made up & I miss the gravely voice from CIV5; I would have liked real quotes from scientists & excerpts from sci-fi books instead. Compare that to EL which is slim on production values. Beyond Earth still has that "one more turn" time sink effect. You may view that as a plus or minus.

Right now I think I'm going to hold off on playing both for a while. I'd say view multiple actual play videos & see what you're longing for.

Thanks for the extensive impressions!

I am really intrigued by Endless Legend, as it is something new, and BE seems just more of Civ 5 with big(?) tweaks in the gameplay (which is not entirely bad). Time sink effect is pretty significant, it shows that the game is doing something right, but that can be attributed to the Civ origins. Don't want to watch any videos to not have many things spoiled.

Thanks anyway

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Rhak talks a lot like me. Nasal voice with overly fast speech, mumbling words often. It's hard a life man.

the things he's seen ... the horror ... THE HORROR!!
:p

2014-10-25_17-58-08.jpg

Was really disappointed with the Dota servers last night. Friday night my one plan was to enjoy some dota and it just blew. Every game had leavers and out of the handful I played barely one was fair. Hope it is fixed tonight or I'll just find something else to do. Such a waste of time.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Who the hell designed the camera in X-Com Enemy Unknown? Because I think he was actively trying to make me go crazy.

Zoom out (to a stupidly close level for an strategic game IMHO) while on this unit, then when you switch unit let's zoom all the way in! And let's do this for every unit!
Skipping from one unit to another? Then let me pan the camera until I reach it, instead of teleporting over it.
Is you turn over? Well, I guess you're not going to mind if I make the camera uncontrollable by you. Good. Now let me take control of the camera, to show you exactly what every enemy unit is doing, by following it with an exagerated movement of the camera even if it moves by just a single square. And even if another unit it's in the frame, let's center the camera on in when it is its time to attack. Even if it's not going to move, but just shoot a you.
Oh, is he shooting at you? The let me zoom all the way out until the two units are in the screen, even if they are at the opposite side of the map (I know you can't, but I will do it anyway).
Did you just discover a bunch of enemy units? THEN LET ME PLAY A 5 SECONDS CUTSCENE THAT SHOWS THEM DOING THE EXACT SAME THING EVERY TIME. Did you discover more than one group in a single turn? It's your lucky day! Here's a cutscene for every single one of them!
Want to tilt the camera? Be my guest. But only in some pre-dermined steps!
You don't care about the nice and detailed animations we made for enemy units? But we spent time making them! Just look at them!
The AI is taking its sweet time to make a move, I'll just stick the camera to the next unit and zoom in. Oh you wanted to move the camera in order to find a vantage point or maybe think about an offensive/defensive tactic? Sorry, didn't know, lol!
Wait, so you want the camera to frame the whole QG, this way you'll be able to just click on whatever you want without having to waste time? Not dynamic enough!

JUST KEEP THE CAMERA WHERE I LEFT IT YOU IDIOT.

What the hell happened, I don't know. Civ5 camera is great, couldn't they just copy-paste it on this?

Please tell me there is a mod that fixes the camera. To zoom out more at the very least. Because really I can't stand it the way it is now, I'm just going to drop the game.

iosefe

As someone who hasn't played it yet, that worries me.
FOV slider though
Anyone know a website where I can see payday 2 skill builds - and their pros/cons :p
the skills are actually explained quote plainly. What you put your money into is based on your playstyle. For example, I'm 40/59 Mastermind/Ghost, with the enforcer extra vatryingn skills on tier one on the right.

Then there are perk decks. Exp is converted to points at a ratio based on how far in you are. So don't fill it in for a bit, just collect.

If you ready everything carefully, and maybe take a look at the wiki, you'll be fine

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I remember a warning popping up when I was messing with setscale, ressurrect, etc, etc commands.

I never saw that, but I'll have to check whenever I play Skyrim again.

This really does look better than Dear Esther. Way prettier too.

Data Hacker Corruption keys were added to IGS

Completely forgot that this game got keys in one of the Indie Royale bundles, thanks for the semi-related reminder.

New Payday 2 Crimefest announcement is Overkill hired/formed another studio called Lion Game Lion to make even more Payday 2 DLC paid and free, kind of cool I guess, weird that they used one of the Crimefest days to just announce something, but tomorrow we should be getting a new free gun and something else.

iosefe

New Payday 2 Crimefest announcement is Overkill hired/formed another studio called Lion Game Lion to make even more Payday 2 DLC paid and free, kind of cool I guess, weird that they used one of the Crimefest days to just announce something, but tomorrow we should be getting a new free gun and something else.
Greta when?

that would mean "buy new monitor" right?

It's PC. Sadly there's no HDMI input, only DVI, so would be hard to connect consoles. But Dynamic Contrast is off.

A capacitor problem doesn't necessarily mean buy a new one if you're willing to apply some DIY fixes. I've had two monitors (a Samsung and a Viewsonic, both around 6 years old) stop working properly due to bulging or blown caps. After researching the model numbers and the people with similar problems, then opening them up to reveal the bad caps on the power boards, I was able to order replacement caps and solder them on. I only soldered once before and sure was a bit nervous, but researched and watched enough how to videos to manage a good enough job to salvage both monitors. They are working fine for two years more and going, for an $8 fix each.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Woody Invincible, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dark Souls -- MB-A6D9785101314371 - Taken by Shalashaska. 17 entrants total.

t1414257707z1.png

iosefe

Early 2015 is when their first pack comes out called "The Bomb" it includes bomb stealing heists and guns and stuff, sounds cool. More heist and guns is always better.
Sounds like some good chaos. Failure means detonation maybe?
ffs..now that I'm into payday 2 I want the dlcs, and that shit is just a money-making machine for the devs huh.
but cheap during crimefest. Except hotline, but oh well

Chariot

ffs..now that I'm into payday 2 I want the dlcs, and that shit is just a money-making machine for the devs huh.
Of course it makes them money, but they also use the money to make free dlcs. We have as more free dlcs with content as we have paid ones. The most non-free dlcs are just weapons and masks.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

but cheap during crimefest. Except hotline, but oh well

at least most of their DLC stuff is really good ... AND they're also adding stuff for free .... so it's not like they're just releasing lots of completely useless stuff ... I guess they could even still make TONS of money just by releasing masks as DLC (I mean - sure, there are new masks being added with pretty much every piece of DLC, but they're not the only thing in that particular DLC - that's what I meant) ... and yet - they're not doing that (not yet, at least :p)

Lomax

I've got a little less than an hour before my Extra Life stream will be starting

t1414252800z4.png

Today I'll be playing
  • Shadow Warrior
  • Long Live the Queen
  • Sniper Elite 3
  • Dark Matter
  • DreadOut
  • Castle of Illusion
  • Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller
  • Super Time Force Ultra
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
  • Hatoful Boyfriend
  • Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
  • Saint's Row IV
  • Remember Me
  • Banished
  • Metro 2033 Redux
  • Lili: Child of Geos
  • The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II
each for about an hour to an hour and a half. These are all games I've never played before, so I'll be giving some quick impressions / commentary on each as the day goes on.

The whole thing will be live-streamed to my Twitch Channel so feel free to pop in any time.

Tomorrow afternoon after the live-stream is over, I'll be choosing the winners of the raffle I have going on which is sponsored by IsThereAnyDeal.com. There are 24 excellent games up for grabs. You can check out all the details here:

http://www.extra-life.org/participant/enhancedsteam

And remember - these donations go to a great and charitable cause!

This is the last time I'll be posting anything about this since I'll be busy streaming, sorry for mentioning this a few times in the last few days

This is an awesome thing you are doing :) You should film yourself reading the user reviews of Enhanced Steam in the same style that Jimmy Kimmel does "mean tweets," that would be hilarious.

Parsnip

Oh, eXperience 112 is on Steam now. Looks like they just dumped it in there without any extra work though. I wonder if there are resolution options, can't quite remember how it was even back when it came out. I can remember that I couldn't run it all that well with more than 2 cameras open though.

I think I'm going to buy it, damn it.

Grief.exe

Interesting.

As long as it has Steam achievements, I'll consider buying it.
Personally don't care about controller support considering I'm 100% KB/M.

I also hope for increased visuals, but on the other hand: we have modding so I will just mod the game. That is, if the mods are compatible with the updated version...
It's been so long since I played the game, and at the time I hadn't gotten into modding games yet so it will be interesting to see what can be achieved.

Also, this guy.

The increased resolution doesn't help this game very much.

screen18.jpg

Burn the evidence CJ

Anteater

alien, pls stahp with the creepy music

Like I said, it's a very enjoyable wasted opportunity, I kept thinking about the potential of a full-fledged Korra game would play like. I would love a VS mode like Star Wars: Force Unleashed, in which you can choose any character from the Avatar universe and fight it out.

this is like the time when people talk about the potential dragon's dogma sequel and dmc5

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oh, eXperience 112 is on Steam now. Looks like they just dumped it in there without any extra work though. I wonder if there are resolution options, can't quite remember how it was even back when it came out. I can remember that I couldn't run it all that well with more than 2 cameras open though.

I think I'm going to buy it, damn it.

Let me know how it goes. I bought it at retail around 2008 or so but my computer could barely play it.

Arthea

I sorta want to get Dream (gmg sale), but it's still EA and have been for rather long time. Anybody plays it? How far is it from Finnish perfection?

I want to get Arkham Origins at GMG, but I have a feeling there is some Megapack GOTY edition coming soon.

I thought Oranges has no chance for GOTY edition (><)

Anteater

Games where the music crescendos and then nothing happens.

Thanks for the heart condition!

It's like that interrogation room in resident evil 2, you know something may or may not happen and you don't know when.

I want to get Arkham Origins at GMG, but I have a feeling there is some Megapack GOTY edition coming soon.

Highly likely but I'm still pessimistic about it.

game of the ok edition is coming

Soodanim

Help!

Some games won't run at all for me.

New build, finished yesterday. I ran HL2 to test it, and it was fine. DSR from 4K. All was good. Played some Bioshock this morning, same thing. All good. But I tried New Vegas and that won't run past the pre-game setup window, nor will Oblivion, and now HL2 won't run either. NV and O crash and bring up the window where Windows pretends to try and help, and HL2 brings up the "Preparing to launch X", stays on that for ages, the screen flashes black for a second like it's trying to change resolution or something then nothing. Bioshock still runs.

I've thought about what I've installed since yesterday, and aside from onboard audio drivers (RealTek), RivaTuner to limit fps (tried resetting to defaults settings, has no effect) and PS3 controller drivers (the SCP ones, which I've uninstalled and will restart when I've finished this post) plus some C++/DirectX runtime stuff, I've touched nothing as far as I can remember.

Windows 8.1 N, 4690k at stock, 970 at stock

I went home for the weekend and spent so much money yesterday. Stupid friends wanting to have fun and do things and eat delicious tacos. Its taking away from my game steam fund

Subject16

So if I own San Andreas on steam, are they gonna roll a new update? Or just add a new re-mastered version for sale, just like the Metro Redux franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom