• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiru

I can't see anything in that BernardoOne quote :(

But I trust you guys
If there's no doujin bundle I'll haunt you on Halloween

Same here (hurray work proxy)

It better have at least one waifu. If there's one waifu, they've got my money.

Oh wow. Seems I can still see it because of the saved cache. Here, I uploaded it for you guys, it was on groupees site:
doujin_background3newimkyw.jpg

Miguel81

Is it worth it to purchase Deus ex Human revolution directors cut if you already have the original version ?

Depends on how much you like the yellow filter. Other than that, the DC has the Missing Link integrated into the game, which disturbs the pacing a bit.

still no code from the skyrim deal...only got the confirmation mail this morning....Order probably got blocked..

I think it will take some time. If you don't see anything by tomorrow morning, it's probably not going to go through.

FAKE EDIT: Groupees Damned Bundle 3

The Last Door Collector's Edition (Steam)
Bad Mojo Redux (Steam)
Blinding Dark (Steam)
Damnation: City of Death (Desura)
Realm Walk of Soul (Desura)
Go to Bed: Survive The Night

Locust

How can a RoW copy be restricted? Does this mean that RoW copies can only be redeemed in the US?

Games with ACRTAG always seem get the notice on extra gifts. A dutch friend bought that recent Fat Chicken game and his extra 2-pack gift also had that. It's not actually restricted if any countries aren't listed.

Also, the checkout glitch still works, it just hasn't ever(?) worked on Payday 2 for some reason. Feel free to test with https://steamdb.info/sub/36482/.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Psst.

Since The Last Door is supposed to be in the Groupees horror bundle tomorrow, I decided to play it to get into the spooky Halloween spirit. And it turns out that it's pretty great.

The Collector's Edition is a compilation of the four episodes of the game's first season (season two is currently in development) and four different mini episodes. The game is a point and click adventure game with horror trappings that put it more into the realm of suspense thriller than anything. Set in Victorian England, you play as Jeremiah Devitt, a seemingly average man that's recently received a letter from his old boarding school friend and colleague Anthony Beechworth. Devitt travels to Beechworth's old mansion to determine the meaning of the letter and discover what's befallen his old friend. What follows is a homage inspired by authors like Edgar Alan Poe, HP Lovecraft, Arthur Machen, and others.

In terms of gameplay, it's basically your standard point and click adventure game. Most of the game is, shockingly, finding items, walking, talking to NPCs, reading notes/diaries/letters, walking some more, solving puzzles, and repeat. It tends to suffer from the same flaws as many other games in its genre in the form of having a few obtuse puzzles here and there that will probably take a while to solve. For example, (and I'll put this in spoilers if you don't want a late game puzzle's partial solution ruined)
towards the end of the game, you find an envelope that contains a photographic plate. To develop it, you need a darkroom, and there's one that you can use, mostly already set up. The problem is that you're missing a red light. You've got a normal light bulb in the room's lamp, though, so you take it, go outside to where you came from in the beginning of the episode, and find a dead deer that was apparently killed while you went inside this mansion. So you shove your hand and the light bulb into the deer's guts because its abdomen is ripped open, and you've got a red light bulb.
Yeah, good luck knowing where you have to go and what you have to do without wandering around for a while with that one.

The narrative is well handled. It starts off sort of realistic, but progressively becomes more surreal over the course of the game; even the first episode/chapter experiments with a bit of surrealism at times. The game's filled with flashbacks throughout, and they're handled well, slowly revealing Devitt's past and his previous interactions with the supporting cast. Each episode has an opening scene that establishes the tone and major theme of each part; the first chapter's opening is probably the best of the bunch just because of how melancholy and dire it is. The extra episodes provide a bit more insight to the events of the game and develop the world a bit, offering a few hints as to what happened in some parts. The extra episodes are all very short, some of them under a minute in length, so they don't overstay their welcome. The game's overall length is roughly 2-4 hours, so you can finish it in a sitting or two. But be warned that the ending is slightly disappointing and that the game ends on a cliffhanger.

In terms of atmosphere, The Last Door manages to pull of a creepy atmosphere really well despite its 8 bit art style. The art style, by the way, is going to put some people off, but they're really missing out if they skip this for that reason. Despite the low fidelity art style, the game is easily able to get its imagery across without becoming too silly looking, for the most part; admittedly, there was one scene in the early part of the second episode that made me laugh, but it's more of an outlier. A lot of the imagery can be slightly unsettling, and often focuses on crows and eyeballs. There are also mild jump scares. If that's something you dislike, just know that this game's jump scares probably won't freak you out too bad. Just keep in mind that the game tends to rely more on creating a suspenseful mood than dropping jump scares on you every ten seconds. There are also some well hidden secrets in the game that add to the atmosphere as well, with most of them being creepy and offering no real explanation as to what happened other than psychological explanations. The music really adds to the Victorian theme of the game, often being driven by violins, pianos, organs, and cellos. The soundtrack just does a great job of adding to the melancholy, tension filled, suspenseful mood. It's just really easy to gush about how good the OST is.

What I'm getting at is that The Last Door is pretty great for what it is, and that everyone should buy and play it when it's in tomorrow's bundle.

Everyone should go buy that bundle.

Shade

everybody can get on groupees, but me?
That's odd, I don't have any problems with connection that I can see.

I've had the same issue for the last ~15 hours. Only way I can access the site is through a US VPN and then it works fine.

Edit: I just re-checked without the VPN on my home PC, seems to be working for me now. But I experience the same issues from work still.

Random question, have Bethesda really not announced any current-gen 'remasters'? It seems like something that they would have by now, I can imagine 'Skyrim Remastered for Xbone/PS4' would gain some interest at any rate.

JustLynx

Played an hour of Banished, I have no idea what I am doing but at least I made it to year six with only like ummm 20 deaths.

Banished is HARD :D takes time to understand it, but I'm loving it!
you need to have plenty of food in your reserves and also try to have a around 20 kids all the time,
you need to build houses every now and then to allow them to... you know ;)

Random question, have Bethesda really not announced any current-gen 'remasters'? It seems like something that they would have by now, I can imagine 'Skyrim Remastered for Xbone/PS4' would gain some interest at any rate.

dude, no, fuck that, keep gamebryo off of any consoles for the rest of history. I played Fallout 3 GOTY on the PS3, i'm speaking from experience. Tortured, frustrated, controller tossing experience.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yes. New patch added in official aspect ratio and 60 FPS options, on top of other improvements and optimizations.
that's amazing, good on them

i'd personally keep the letterboxing on since i think it looks cool but for second playthroughs or for people that are bothered by it that's pretty great

options are always good

Arthea

the hell?!
It's true, I can access groupees site if I use US VPN and in no other way. Well, congratulations to them, now I'm really pissed off, what's not easy to do.
That's no bloody joke, you don't IP block people from selected regions without bloody saying a word, and people that were your customers for years! Those treacherous backstabbers (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

dude, no, fuck that, keep gamebryo off of any consoles for the rest of history. I played Fallout 3 GOTY on the PS3, i'm speaking from experience. Tortured, frustration, controller tossing experience.

Oh, I bought Skyrim on PS3, I know the issues.

My questioning wasn't really in a "I want this" mindset, it was more a "Why haven't this business made what I assume to be a pretty good money making decision that other publishers have done?" mindset you know?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yes. New patch added in official aspect ratio and 60 FPS options, on top of other improvements and optimizations.

too bad I already finished it (and used that unofficially anyway)

Lords of the Fallen is all sorts of fucking awesome once, you know, it stopped crashing. Its actually a lot less linear than I expected. Its not open world but its very maze-y, I keep finding new doors and pathways and going "oh this leads back here, cool". Sleeper hit written all over it so far (again, once you get past the technical bullshit)

too bad I already finished it (and used that unofficially anyway)

Lords of the Fallen is all sorts of fucking awesome once, you know, it stopped crashing. Its actually a lot less linear than I expected. Its not open world but its very maze-y, I keep finding new doors and pathways and going "oh this leads back here, cool". Sleeper hit written all over it so far (again, once you get past the technical bullshit)

now comes the part that is unfair to the game but, really, the only frame of reference most of us have: how does it compare to the Souls games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom