• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
let's do the time warp again...

It's a licensed game.

"But the dev is great"

Yes, but genius doesn't magically make a great game. They need time, budget, and support to do that. It's a licensed game. Look at a company like WayForward which makes both very bad licensed games and pretty decent original games. It's not because they magically forget how to make a game when they're handed a license, it's because they work under constraint. Licensed games aren't bad because they're made by failures, they're bad because they don't get the resources they need.

Maybe it'll turn out good, maybe not, but I can't think of a riskier bet than a day-one purchase of a downloadable licensed game published by Activision.

milena87

Great advice for Cook Serve Delicious

I agree that menu management in CSD is key. My menu always consisted of 2 evergreen items (salad and coffee), then 2 between fish + steak and chicken + lobster, and the remaining 2 items to be decided depending on the day.
I never put shish-kebab, fries or sodas in it, unless there's a challenge specifically asking for them :p

I found soup great at the beginning, while I appreciated pizza, pasta and burger later on.

My favourite menu in NG+ was fish + steak + chicken + beer + salad + coffee :)

Jawmuncher

Looks like my chosen image was a decent reaction to the review thread now
r7tlksndicwhwe0b0dci.png
Looks like I can save 15 bucks.

Durante

So, is Dark Souls II a Batman Oranges situation where people either love it or find it lacking? I just finished DS1 and i'm really interested in playing more DS once i wrap up the DLC for DS1 so I'm looking forward to picking up DSII in a future sale but it seems to be a divisive sequel.
Go for it, DS2 is better overall than DS1.

And even among people who don't agree with that assessment you won't find many who would claim that it's a bad game.

So, is Dark Souls II a Batman Oranges situation where people either love it or find it lacking? I just finished DS1 and i'm really interested in playing more DS once i wrap up the DLC for DS1 so I'm looking forward to picking up DSII in a future sale but it seems to be a divisive sequel.

DS2 is a good game. Many consider DS1 to be the better game but that doesn't make DS2 bad. There are quite a few changes in the design philosophy and mechanics of DS2. Some people liked the changes while others preferred the old way of doing things.

Bottom line, it's a good game and you should definitely play it.

edit - pretend Durante posted after me.

People are getting super salty about Korra reviews in one of the Korra threads. People really need to stop lashing out because critics don't like games they think are good or want to be good. I'm still looking forward to playing it, regardless of reviews just because Platinum.
I mean its only $15, I haven't read any reviews or anything but I'm assuming most reviews will likely compare it to MGR and bayonetta, 2 retail games with a much higher budget. IDC what reviewers say tho, its only $15, the gameplay can't be that bad
1hr 30 mins left. The ign/gamespot reviews tell me no, but the Destructoid/Impressions/Preorder thread reviews tell me yes.

BpuQuwQ.png
Personally I wouldn't pay too much attention to ign, they tend to only like mainstream games

Dr Dogg

Seems Stumpodamus strikes again.

In other news Civ Beyond Earth delivered, code input and preloading. In more important other news my copy of Bayonetta 2 has shipped!!!

Free DLC for Shadow of Mordor today:

Wait? Play as the Black Hand in the base game or the Challenge mode. Either way nice touch.

Go for it, DS2 is better overall than DS1.

And even among people who don't agree with that assessment you won't find many who would claim that it's a bad game.

DS2 is a good game. Many consider DS1 to be the better game but that doesn't make DS2 bad. There are quite a few changes in the design philosophy and mechanics of DS2. Some people liked the changes while others preferred the old way of doing things.

Bottom line, it's a good game and you should definitely play it.

edit - pretend Durante posted after me.

I wouldn't say it's as divisive as Origins.

The general consensus (from what I understand) is that most of Dark Souls II is a technical improvement over the first, but the environments and bosses aren't as inspired.

Alright, that sounds real promising. Going to keep an eye out for a decent DSII + Season Pass deal then. I'm sure that not having years of expectations going into DSII after only recently finishing DSI is probably going to help matters, as well. Thanks!

Currently going through a ng+ run of DS1 as i locked myself out of the DLC in my first playthrough and it's kinda hilarious. It took me 40 hours to get through the game in my first playthrough yet it took only 2 hours to get back to the bonfire inside the castle at Anor Londo, and that's mostly due to me trying to rush through some areas and having to repeat them (i hate you, sens fortress). I'm almost there!

Since I've read a lot of DS II > DS, I'll throw my .02 in as I'm currently playing through it. I personally love both games, I like the bonfire warping that DS II adds. At first I was hesitant about enemies disappearing but I like how it makes you less able to farm (though I don't find leveling up in II to be all that difficult).

I will say I'm not a min/max guy so I can't speak to the intricacies of the systems which may bother some people.

Corpekata

Banned
Seems Stumpodamus strikes again.

In other news Civ Beyond Earth delivered, code input and preloading. In more important other news my copy of Bayonetta 2 has shipped!!!

Wait? Play as the Black Hand in the base game or the Challenge mode. Either way nice touch.

It's a skin.

iosefe

Bringing this back up. So far I have 4 entries, with 4:30 left on the clock
so...since Dark Souls gets a spare from the key...and since most people are gonna raffle them...

i'll just give mine away to the person who tells me the darkest joke they know.

General Rules and requirements
a joke that would make the strongest of Christians faint
you have 12 hours

t1413919800z1.png
Please send all responses in a pm, and i may or may not share the winner depending on how messed up the joke is

I mean its only $15, I haven't read any reviews or anything but I'm assuming most reviews will likely compare it to MGR and bayonetta, 2 retail games with a much higher budget. IDC what reviewers say tho, its only $15, the gameplay can't be that bad

Personally I wouldn't pay too much attention to ign, they tend to only like mainstream games

Although I agree that it probably isn't that bad. I don't think the price of it is a good excuse if it is mediocre. We have seen plenty of games at the $15 tier with incredible polish so I don't think that can be used as an excuse anymore. The issues with the game would more likely be down to dev time constraints, I would assume not knowing anything about the development of the game.

Although I agree that it probably isn't that bad. I don't think the price of it is a good excuse if it is mediocre. We have seen plenty of games at the $15 tier with incredible polish so I don't think that can be used as an excuse anymore. The issues with the game would more likely be down to dev time constraints, I would assume not knowing anything about the development of the game.

what we need to know is:

-whether i can mash B and get all of the acheevos
-does it have cards?

Not sure if Korra fits under the general rule of anime cards go for a premium since it's one of those amerimes but i'm guessing that it does.

Fuck Alien mission 6!

I kinda gave up on Alien around mission 6, or was it 5? I just didnt find it enjoyable to constantly get killed by the alien after slowly crawling around the medical area 5-6 times. It wasn't fun to sit in a locker, holding my breath and pulling the joystick back, and the game relies too heavily on trial and error for me to enjoy it.

maybe ill go back to it one day, but for the time being i'd jusr rather play something i enjoy instead.

Dr Dogg

Hang on, hang on, hang on. I though there was a big pack of peeps in here buying Korra regardless of reviews for a multitude of reasons? So now that there's some reviews that don't score to a certain degree it's all doom and gloom? What if all the reviews so far are good but the one that's a hack puff piece was the highest scoring one. What are the general complaints reviewers having? Is there a commonality with the reviews in both possessive and negative aspects? Are folks judging just scores and not the review as a whole?

Amzin

I can't believe Hyper Light Drifter is locked at 30 FPS. Plenty of people on the forums complaining about terrible frames during gameplay and jerky camera movements.

http://hyperlightdrifter.lefora.com/reply/677/Re-Framerate-Question#.VEZ2OlXF8yN

I forgot that code was getting sent out. I don't really care though, just going to wait for the finished game anyway :p hopefully the kinks will be worked out

Edit:
Hang on, hang on, hang on. I though there was a big pack of peeps in here buying Korra regardless of reviews for a multitude of reasons? So now that there's some reviews that don't score to a certain degree it's all doom and gloom? What if all the reviews so far are good but the one that's a hack puff piece was the highest scoring one. What are the general complaints reviewers having? Is there a commonality with the reviews in both possessive and negative aspects? Are folks judging just scores and not the review as a whole?

I'll still be buying it regardless - the Avatar universe is one of my favorites of all time, and if it isn't a complete POS then I'll probably enjoy the hell out of it. Plus better than Godhand etc. etc. rah rah~

zkylon

zkylewd
hmm, computer fixing adventures...

tried to open the power supply to clean it up but that thing looked welded shut. like one part of it came off pretty easy after unscrewing it but the other end of the top was just impossible to pull out

i dunno what to do :I

ended up just shooting the air thingie from outside a bit. didn't look all that dirty tbh

Maniac

Banned
Seeing how I just got home and haven't been in the thread for a good 15 hours, some of my replies'll be awfully late, but whaaatever.
I should add / download Shadow Warrior to my extralife list, been wanting to play that for awhile
You should. You really, really should - It's one of the best first person shooters of recent years. Atleast the part where you don't shoot but use a katana. It's sooo good. The control scheme is overall a tad weird and awkward, but also kind of makes sense with what the game is.
OT but, I've done it GAF. I deleted my entire life's forth of eroge. All 2 TB of it. I'm not looking back.
*shivers*
First of all: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!? Second of all: Holy shit that's a lot of fappy material. Like, more than my total amount of space including my 1TB external. Jeez.
Cause it look amazing and I like Dragon Age.
I might just have to defriend you now. Bioware is dead, long live Bioware of old. :(... Seriously though, I've liked every sequel in both DA & ME less than what came before, so I just can't help but think it'll be disappointing. But I'll try it under the good ole jolly roger, and if I actually like it... Then it might just be the first EA game I've bought in 4 years.

See? Not to be trusted!
I was about to tear you a new 'un, but then I read your hidden quote message... Sneaky sneaky ;)... I'll still despise you a tiny bit for saying that.

Seriously though, never trust IGN. Ever.

does everybody that owns Dark Souls 1 on Steam get this additional key and if so, how do I get it? Anybody on this forum that wants my extra DS key can have it.

Uzzy

I'm still buying it. From what I've seen, it'll be a good game. I never pay any attention to IGN reviews anyway.

Amzin

New Ori and the Blind Forest gameplay. Loving the visual style, but the gameplay looks excellent as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETRJ1XvprOQ

Locked 30 FPS is quite the kink, depending on the issue.

For all we know it's normally not locked and they had been testing something that required locking it. This is basically a dev copy of the game people are playing. I wouldn't be shocked if a small dev didn't have it good-to-go for people to mess with.

Personally I don't care about 30 vs 60 fps for this kind of game, but camera / stuttering issues aren't directly related to that anyway. 30 fps games shouldn't stutter either.

I'm buying it anyway, and I don't even have a clue about Korra. I trust Platinum
now let's hope they do something about Vanquish and Bayo on PC

I kinda gave up on Alien around mission 6, or was it 5? I just didnt find it enjoyable to constantly get killed by the alien after slowly crawling around the medical area 5-6 times. It wasn't fun to sit in a locker, holding my breath and pulling the joystick back, and the game relies too heavily on trial and error for me to enjoy it.

maybe ill go back to it one day, but for the time being i'd jusr rather play something i enjoy instead.
The only thing I hate about the alien is that you can still get ambushed from a vent even though it just got there and its saliva wasn't dripping.

I hate human with super eyesight, and super accurate shooting skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom