• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

So, I'm now dabbling in steam family sharing with my brother and i have a quick question: from what i read in the valve FAQ, you can access the other person's DLC for a game only if you don't happen to own the game itself. If this is so, why isn't it allowing me to download the Ultra texture pack for Mordor, a game i don't own?

Because you don't own it? I think your bro has to add it to his account first.

And from the guide I'm reading, the 'chapter replay' feature is especially weird. Just like it sounds, you can replay any chapter you've already beaten. However, in this mode, if you save and exit during it, it purposely won't save your progress (just your items and such). This means, if you do a chapter replay, you need to complete the chapter in one sitting. This is not necessarily a long thing to do (some chapters are like 20 min or less). It's just... strange. And could that with the fact that some sidequests can literally only be done during a chapter replay of a chapter... weird game is weird.

I may be wrong but I think that "chapter replay" is meant for those like me who are not playing any side-quests or only missed a few of them so that you can catch up after you've beaten the game without having to replay it another time.

Get a second opinion before doing this, but you may have to have a copy as a backup and one in the original place, then via steam game properties, delete the game, then choose to redownload the game but indicate the sdd drive and the same location as the backup. Steam will say it is redownloading but after a minute it should just work itself out **I THINK** I say this because I seem to recall their being an option to do that. Could be wrong. Be safe and check with the SoiSoi Ronin
When I went to redownload the game, Steam did mention something about discovering existing files so I thought that it was ok but then I noticed it downloading 5.5GB of data.
What did you do, exactly? Simply moving the game from one library folder to another won't work. You have to move the installation folder, uninstall the game, reinstall the game and select the proper library folder.
I copied the folder (C:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V) to the root of my E drive and then opened Steam to delete the game. Then I moved the Civ V folder from the root of my E drive to E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\. Then I went to install the game again, this time to the E drive.
Steam Mover and SteamSpreader should do the trick without making any errors. Depends on how you moved it really.

If you're doing a manual move you need to move the game folder from the SteamApps>Common directory and the manifest file in SteamApps directory which is labled with the game id no so in Civ V's case appmanifest_8930.acf to the new location in exactly the same spots. If you leave either things can go pear shaped. I make sure the client is closed when I do that so not to mess anything up. Doing that only things redownload are dependencies like .net or DirectX needing to be updated.
I had a look and I think that the appmanifest file was deleted when I deleted the game from the SSD. I'll keep that in mind for next time though.

Because you don't own it? I think your bro has to add it to his account first.

That's the thing, he did have it on his account. I even logged into his account to verify that he did have it listed under the DLC tab. Yet, i'm not getting an option for it on me end when i use my account.

I mean, it's not a huge issue given that the difference between high and ultra is negligible but i just wanted to see if i was misunderstanding how DLC works with SFS or if this is just a rare case of it not working.

KarmaCow

Well crap, apparently the latest update for Payday 2 is plagued with game crashing and save wiping bugs. They plan on fixing it today with a patch but for now don't use LMGs and avoid hooking up the drill on Day 3 of Firestarter before the power is turned off as well as a bunch of other things. Overkill is planning on even more content updates for Payday 2 throughout this week so now I'm kinda worried. One of the tips in the thread I linked was backing up a pre-39 update (the most current one) save, which I no longer have anymore.

gngf123

About time we got a release date for this one. 24th October.

Somehow I was completely unaware this was getting a Steam release. I've heard a lot of very good things about it.

I just thought the story was okay, but really like the art and music as well as the VAs. I mean I wasnt expecting some big story but was still entertained by it.

The art is good yeah. The writing (poor translation?) makes it harder to enjoy the story, though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When I went to redownload the game, Steam did mention something about discovering existing files so I thought that it was ok but then I noticed it downloading 5.5GB of data.

Are you sure it's actually downloading the data and not just verifying it? The app manifest file isn't absolutely necessary -- all it contains is basic depot/installation info, but having it present does skip the need to uninstall and reinstall the game (which is why people are better served backing up their entire steamapps folder instead of just the individual game folders).

koma

Like this:
2638696-bolrhumceaanb0k.jpg+large.jpg

This made my day, i have to print it and hang it up somewhere in my home

Sendou

That's the thing, he did have it on his account. I even logged into his account to verify that he did have it listed under the DLC tab. Yet, i'm not getting an option for it on me end when i use my account.

I mean, it's not a huge issue given that the difference between high and ultra is negligible but i just wanted to see if i was misunderstanding how DLC works with SFS or if this is just a rare case of it not working.

Well as far as I know then it should download it automatically when you install the game. At least that's the case with rest of the Steam Family Shared DLC's.

bjaelke

Miles Jacobson @milesSI
#FM14, so far, has been played by people via Steam for nearly 200m hours. Or 23,000 years. #valueformoney

Mind boggling number

BasilZero

Rockstar is updating San Andreas right now for Xinput, 16:9, and removing some licensed tracks, so never say never.

What

Nuuuu :( @ songs getting removed but we can use our own songs right like in GTAIV?

Anyways, odd timing to update San Andreas - didnt know it lacked those features - good thing I waited lol.

How's III and Vice City though?

Dr Dogg

Miles Jacobson @milesSI
#FM14, so far, has been played by people via Steam for nearly 200m hours. Or 23,000 years. #valueformoney

Mind boggling number

I really don't have the time to sink into a full on FM fueled obsession these days but I still clocked in 11 hours just pissing about in Classic Mode in 14. Granted that's nothing to my 427 hour binge in 11 and yet again the years of my life Champ Man 97 and 01-02 took away from me :(

What

Nuuuu :( @ songs getting removed but we can use our own songs right like in GTAIV?

Anyways, odd timing to update San Andreas - didnt know it lacked those features - good thing I waited lol.

How's III and Vice City though?

San Andreas appears to be a port of the Windows 8 store version, which itself is a port of the mobile version. AFAIK all 3 GTAIII games have been ported to mobile and all of them have proper controller and widescreen support on mobile, so it shouldn't be too hard to update the Steam versions with those mobile versions and, you know, have the GTA games play like something that came out in the last 5 years on PC.

As far as the music goes, i really hope that someone mods them back in because that would blow if they keep updating the games and removing tracks like this.

Are you sure it's actually downloading the data and not just verifying it? The app manifest file isn't absolutely necessary -- all it contains is basic depot/installation info, but having it present does skip the need to uninstall and reinstall the game (which is why people are better served backing up their entire steamapps folder instead of just the individual game folders).

Ok, I tried it again. I moved the game file from the SteamApps folder to the root of the E drive and then I deleted the game from Steam. I closed Steam and moved the folder back to the SteamApps folder in the E drive. Then I opened Steam and downloaded the game and voila, it completed!

The first time, it was trying to download 5.5GB and I let it get to 1GB before I decided to try to fix this.

Thanks to everyone for their replies :D

Alavard

I may be wrong but I think that "chapter replay" is meant for those like me who are not playing any side-quests or only missed a few of them so that you can catch up after you've beaten the game without having to replay it another time.

If that were the real intention, it would have made far more sense to have a separate 'exploration mode' or something similar. As it is, if I were to complete the game, and decide I wanted to go back and do sidequests, which chapter would I pick to 'replay'? As long as the same sidequests were available in all of them, it would basically come down to which chapter is the quickest, since I can only save once I complete it.

Grief.exe

I decided to move Civ V off my SSD to make room for BE but now Steam is literally downloading the game again. Any idea what I did wrong?

I just moved the files from the Steam directory on my SSD to the one on my HDD.

What did you do, exactly? Simply moving the game from one library folder to another won't work. You have to move the installation folder, uninstall the game, reinstall the game and select the proper library folder.

Do you have a second library folder set up in the other drive?

You can simply drag and drop the game into the secondary steamapps/common folder, but you will need to grab the .asf file associated with the game as well. They are located in the Steamapps folder.

Dr Dogg

If you own any of the versions of GTA, Steam, Retail etc make sure to backup you .adf files as that's what the radio stations are. Even if you buy Vice City now on Steam you can go pick up a retail copy and swap the files over and get the original tracks back in and retail copies are plentiful and cheap. But I'm sure this only counts for new owners and not existing ones.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do you have a second library folder set up in the other drive?

You can simply drag and drop the game into the secondary steamapps/common folder, but you will need to grab the .asf file associated with the game as well. They are located in the Steamapps folder.

I mentioned that afterwards. He's fixed it.

If that were the real intention, it would have made far more sense to have a separate 'exploration mode' or something similar. As it is, if I were to complete the game, and decide I wanted to go back and do sidequests, which chapter would I pick to 'replay'? As long as the same sidequests were available in all of them, it would basically come down to which chapter is the quickest, since I can only save once I complete it.

Good point, indeed the game is quite unpolished, and with regards to side-missions I haven't finished a single one yet as they're scattered all over the map and some of them could not be accessed at all times of the day, besides sometimes you have also to meet dealines for main missions at the same time, so for the moment I have stuck to the main missions.

Grief.exe

If you own any of the versions of GTA, Steam, Retail etc make sure to backup you .adf files as that's what the radio stations are. Even if you buy Vice City now on Steam you can go pick up a retail copy and swap the files over and get the original tracks back in and retail copies are plentiful and cheap. But I'm sure this only counts for new owners and not existing ones.

That's good advice, thanks Dog.

Goddamn you Niggen for posting that gif.. >__<

I love the short movie that created that gif. So well done.

I mentioned that afterwards. He's fixed it.

Excellent!

Jawmuncher

Still find it weird how games will be launched at 12pm on Tuesday sometimes on steam.
Though I guess unless you're a title from a big company it's not really a big deal.

Yakkue

Not sure if I'm remembering it correctly, but I thought chapter 6 and 11 were pretty good to complete the side missions. Be sure to do the "Nameless Flower" side mission soon, as it allows you to
quickly travel to locations you already visited

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of dani_dc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (dani_dc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition -- MB-7DCE24B61B2AEC3E - Taken by xeris. 36 entrants total.

t1413941730z1.png

Alavard

Not sure if I'm remembering it correctly, but I thought chapter 6 and 11 were pretty good to complete the side missions. Be sure to do the "Nameless Flower" side mission soon, as it allows you to
quickly travel to locations you already visited

Yeah, I'm using a guide, since it's so easy to miss stuff. And oh man, I can't wait until I do get that item.

UncleO

I always find it so difficult to just jump into a conversation when a new steam thread pops up. It moves so quickly.

/rant

Alavard

Good point, indeed the game is quite unpolished, and with regards to side-missions I haven't finished a single one yet as they're scattered all over the map and some of them could not be accessed at all times of the day, besides sometimes you have also to meet dealines for main missions at the same time, so for the moment I have stuck to the main missions.

I thought about skipping them, but then I read about some of the rewards, and as a result, in Chapter 2, I've already got a wrench melee item that won't ever break, just from a couple hours of sidequesting.

Milamber

I come back to terribly scary gifs, mistaken racist remarks and people telling me I made a bad decision.

On the other hand, look at all this space! I could download so much here.

EDIT: I will probably start regretting it a few weeks in.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I always find it so difficult to just jump into a conversation when a new steam thread pops up. It moves so quickly.

/rant

This morning I woke up and there was a new thread with a thousand replies. Admittedly I missed checking the thread yesterday due to having to take my cat to the vet. I just try and chip in here and there so that people don't forget who I am.
Although people would have to know me first I guess.

Zeknurn

I rushed to buy Civ:BE from GMG as soon as the mistake became known. But unfortunately my key activated as the actual game and not BL:pS

I was planning to wait for the reviews before making the final jump but I guess for 12£ it was worth the risk to see if I could have snagged a free copy of BL:pS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom