• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm, computer fixing adventures...

tried to open the power supply to clean it up but that thing looked welded shut. like one part of it came off pretty easy after unscrewing it but the other end of the top was just impossible to pull out

i dunno what to do :I

ended up just shooting the air thingie from outside a bit. didn't look all that dirty tbh

I've never heard of anyone opening up a PSU to clean it... seems like a good way to get into trouble. Compressed air or whatever the modern equivalent is is the way to go, as you did.

GaussTek

I'm a little worried about the lack of a firm date this close to the end of the year. I hope it doesn't get delayed into 2015.

Yeah, same here. It's one of my most anticipated games this year now, I really hope they release it on Dec. at least, but it feels that it won't :(

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
well, if Korra turns out to be crap, at least we still have Bayonetta 2 to satisfy us
sexually
this week

Grabbing Korra too anyway because I'm such a free and enlightened spirit

Kiru

does everybody that owns Dark Souls 1 on Steam get this additional key and if so, how do I get it? Anybody on this forum that wants my extra DS key can have it.

Just click on your game in your steam library and look on the right for the GFWL key.

EDIT: btw, I kinda want to create a Korra Review thread, am I allowed to do that ? Nobody did for now, dunno why.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just click on your game in your steam library and look on the right for the GFWL key.

EDIT: btw, I kinda want to create a Korra Review thread, am I allowed to do that ? Nobody did for now, dunno why.

There's no dibs on review threads like OTs. So just go ahead if you are so inclined

zkylon

zkylewd
I've never heard of anyone opening up a PSU to clean it... seems like a good way to get into trouble. Compressed air or whatever the modern equivalent is is the way to go, as you did.
hmm ok maybe i dodged a bullet, spent like an hour trying to pry that thing over with a knife so yeah :p

i hope we get to the "power of the cloud" thing someday

and i never have to deal with hardware ever again :I

Dr Dogg

Right so let have a read through some of the Korra reviews and see what I can take away.

From IGN's it sounds like they say it's faithful in the art style. Whilst the combat system does seem to give the reviewer a few conflicting responses (says it's button mashy but has specific timing windows and enemy combos) but the story and how it's handled isn't as good compared to the material it's based on. The endless runner sections get critism as does that lack of enemy types.

Gamespot also pick up on the story and the 'lose powers, must regain them again' narrative, plot device. The camera during combat get's brought up as an issue for the reviewer as does the action prompts not persisting on screen long enough. Also the platforming segments sounded like they felt they weren't in control and the endless runner segment also gets highlighted as a negative along with the different focuses of the game.

Now that's only two reviews but I can see some issues there that some PlatinumGames' titles have had and also the Licenced titles do as well. PG aren't masters of game story so that's a given unless someone who was part of the source material would have been responsible. The camera in both Anarchy Reigns and Rising did my nut in unless I cranked up the sensitivity. The comments upon the combat though hark back to issues others had with W101 and Rising and not necessarily the systems themselves but it does sound like it would be a little harder than its target audience would expect but you know it's Platinum so 'Get Gud'.

It all seems like valid criticism to me but whether the reviews would deter anyone depends on their tastes but if you take the scores out of the equation it's no more different than reading someones impression in here.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
hmm ok maybe i dodged a bullet, spent like an hour trying to pry that thing over with a knife so yeah :p

i hope we get to the "power of the cloud" thing someday

and i never have to deal with hardware ever again :I
Rain? Someone should've trademarked that.

On the one hand, pity, since it looked more interesting than Planetary Annihilation.
On the other hand, well, after what happened with the PA kickstarter, it's no wonder they won't make their 50% higher target.

It was also asking for a lot. Weren't they basically asking for a million dollars for it? I could've told you that it wasn't going to happen even during the heyday of KS campaigns.

Maybe it was a realistic figure and exactly what they needed to produce the game, but it was too much coming on the heels of the thud that was Super MNC and the tepid reception that PA received, to go along with the the support issues the latter faced.

Turfster

It was also asking for a lot. Weren't they basically asking for a million dollars for it? I could've told you that it wasn't going to happen even during the heyday of KS campaigns.

Maybe it was a realistic figure and exactly what they needed to produce the game, but it was too much coming on the heels of the thud that was Super MNC and the tepid reception that PA received, to go along with the the support issues the latter faced.
1.4 million, so yeah.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Lol, hundreds of 8/16 bit console games ran at 30 fps, nobody cared about it then, and honestly, nobody should now.
It's nowhere near as noticeable with 2D games than with 3D.

I'm pretty sure the majority of NES/SNES titles ran at 60 frames per second. Unless you were in Europe.

Arthea

Lol, hundreds of 8/16 bit console games ran at 30 fps, nobody cared about it then, and honestly, nobody should now.

I would agree, but as it is supposed to be a really fast action game, it wouldn't have hurt to have 60 fps. I'm actually more concerned about input lag some people were reporting, that would mean "nope, not playing it" for me.

Sendou

I haven't made that connection myself. It's more noticeable in faster paced games than slower ones however.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
But they didn't have 60 animation frames per second, or even 30, so...

But that's not the problem Hyperdrive Lifter has, the actual rendering is locked at 30 frames per second, which affects the controls. People wouldn't praise Super Metroid for its responsive controls were it not running at 60 frames per sec, for example. A game that certainly doesn't have 60 animation frames per second.

The OT already has reviews in the OP. Maybe a review thread is redundant. :/

If I'm not mistaken review threads exist to take all the review talk away from the OTs so they don't get clogged up with people getting mad at reviews or circlejerking and people can just talk about the game. So it's probably still worth having, not sure on the rules though.

Didn't like all 2D games back then run at the native refresh rate of your TV? Which is why we got bullshitted with all those 50Hz games :(

I can understand that argument when it comes to something like the Souls games, where timing is everything and there is an advantage to having the game run at 60 instead of 30.

But i grew up on 2d games where slowdown wasn't uncommon and i was more interested in stuff like collision detection and invincibility frames.

Yeah, 60 is almost always better than 30 but 30 isn't exactly a crime against humanity, either.

Arthea

Everybody, buy Dreamfall Chapters. Everybody. Noooow! It's awesome!

I planned to replay first two games until it came out, I didn't, so there is not much point in buying it right nooooow, I'll still buy it.
Although for some weird reason I want a new Gabriel Knight more atm, even if I won't be playing it soon too

But that's not the problem Hyperdrive Lifter has, the actual rendering is locked at 30 frames per second, which affects the controls. People wouldn't praise Super Metroid for its responsive controls were it not running at 60 frames per sec, for example. A game that certainly doesn't have 60 animation frames per second.

in example I have seen, controls had much more problems than a game being at 30 fps. It looked more like 5 fps, I mean super laggy.
I hope it won't be like that in the final version of a game.

Sajjaja

I can understand that argument when it comes to something like the Souls games, where timing is everything and there is an advantage to having the game run at 60 instead of 30.

But i grew up on 2d games where slowdown wasn't uncommon and i was more interested in stuff like collision detection and invincibility frames.

Yeah, 60 is almost always better than 30 but 30 isn't exactly a crime against humanity, either.

24 on the other hand...

Knurek

Didn't like all 2D games back then run at the native refresh rate of your TV? Which is why we got bullshitted with all those 50Hz games :(

Have you tried playing Star Fox? It sure as hell didn't run in anything above 15 fps. :)
Lots of 2D games also didn't refresh each frame. Not many first party titles, true (if any), but go to third party and you will see 30 fps or worse quite frequently.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ouch at those Korra reviews. not unsurprising from what I saw on streams, still looks good enough to play tho (maybe not so much at full price, especially since im not a fan of the show).

Toki was saying its good but it feels like a budget ass game, so ill say what I said last night...man that game looks like a budget ass game. And I dont mean like "its $15", there are plenty of cheap games that dont look cheap (Transistor, Outland, Bastion, the "high profile indies" lets call them).

Korra from the second I saw it (and I said this, has nothing to do with the reviews) reminded me of PS2 era licensed shovelware action title (man there were a lot of those), big empty open areas lith no life and blocky environments and a very simple control scheme.

The reports that its like 2-3 hours long dont help either.

Teppic

Have you tried playing Star Fox? It sure as hell didn't run in anything above 15 fps. :)
Lots of 2D games also didn't refresh each frame. Not many first party titles, true (if any), but go to third party and you will see 30 fps or worse quite frequently.
I've played Star Fox, and it's an unplayable mess :p Do you have any good examples of snes games that played in 30 fps? Just curious.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
theres a VIP section on GMG now, with a bunch of new titles almost 25% off, whats that about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom