• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
1, in koalaland. $0.16 kangaroo coins

Dollarydoos.

You know, I got Dark Souls for $2.50 with that Amazon coupon thing awhile back.

Still haven't beaten the second boss. My excuse for not playing it now is that I'm waiting for Steam integration.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I am hearing many different prices during the price glitch from 0.16 to 0.22 aussiebux. Aussie prices varies?

yes, like JaseC's mood. Damn Australians

also, for all the people upset you missed the glitch in the matrix, there will most likely be a FLOOD of Dark Souls 1 giveaways next month if / when you can use your GFWL key as a second copy ala SSF4

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I am hearing many different prices during the price glitch from 0.16 to 0.22 aussiebux. Aussie prices varies?

We tend to decide what money is worth at any given moment. :p

Edit: I had to restart a mission in Styx because I didn't realise that getting inside the box was equivalent to the usual "Leave the zone" exits. I assumed I'd be moved to another part of the level I was already in. :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
We tend to decide what money is worth at any given moment. :p

Edit: I had to restart a mission in Styx because I didn't realise that getting inside the box was equivalent to the usual "Leave the zone" exits. I assumed I'd be moved to another part of the level I was already in. :(

oh shit youre playing that? I thought you were idling it? thoughts? I loved it, besides some quirks. Turf hasnt finished because he's a pacifist pussy

thinking about it for tier 3 bonus after Mordor if we get there

JaseC

oh shit youre playing that? I thought you were idling it? thoughts? I loved it, besides some quirks. Turf hasnt finished because he's a pacifist pussy

I'm only a handful of missions into the game, but thus far I think it's great and a testament to what a "B-tier" developer like Cyanide can achieve when there's a narrower focus. For the most part I'd say its flaws aren't anything to worry about (e.g. the ledge kill skill is next useless due to it being available in only the strictest of situations, but it's also quite easy to ignore due to other skills/tools at your disposal), but something that does stand out like a sore thumb is the static nature of the AI -- it isn't as reactive as it should be, particularly when it comes to guard patrols (not once does killing one guard result in the other coming back and noticing something is amiss).

I hope there's an expansion or a sequel at some point.

Turfster

I'm not a pacifist pussy, I'm 100%ing it.
I've done the first 4 missions and only need to do a speed run on the 5th before I tackle the last sections =p

nampad

I can't install the new NVIDIA graphic drivers. I always get a bluescreen when I try and my Windows won't start correctly again.

My graphic cards (460 and 9600, have them running in tandem because I read the 400 series has some problem with dual screens so it won't idle correctly) are quite old so I don't know if there is any update for them anyway but the driver details say there are some tweaks for the new CIV included (game informs me that the drivers are outdated), which is why I wanted to install them.

Anyone know whats up? Windows 7 64 bit.

Rhaknar

I'm only a handful of missions into the game, but thus far I think it's great and a testament to what a "B-tier" developer like Cyanide can achieve when there's a narrower focus. For the most part I'd say its flaws aren't anything to worry about (e.g. the ledge kill skill is next useless due to it being available in only the strictest of situations, but it's also quite easy to ignore due to other skills/tools at your disposal), but something that does stand out like a sore thumb is the static nature of the AI -- it isn't as reactive as it should be, particularly in cases of guard patrols (not once does killing one guard result in the other coming back and noticing something is amiss).

I hope there's an expansion or a sequel at some point.

true story: I never managed a ledge kill. in fact, I couldnt even hang on ledges most of the time, he would just hop up even if I didnt press up or jump >_> one of the few things that annoyed me, not that theres many places that one would use it, but still

also, there IS a sequel...

:(

I need to give Of Orcs and Men another chance one of these days, but I really didnt like it the first time

I'm not a pacifist pussy, I'm 100%ing it.
I've done the first 4 missions and only need to do a speed run on the 5th before I tackle the last sections =p

oh please. "hi my name is Turf, my arm is fucked so ill pretend my goblin's arm is fucked and he cant use a dagger so he cant kill anyone". What kind of assassin are you, you disgust me!

Vibranium

Banned
Ok guys, I'm giving away my copy of Dark Souls from the Aussie price drama as promised, good luck! I hope whoever gets it plays the game when Steamworks arrives, I've been waiting for it for a while haha. Gotta play before Bloodborne.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vibranium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition -- MB-21E0A68235F11721 - Taken by fspm. 39 entrants total.

t1414220441z1.png

Turfster

I think GFWL Keys have been Steam redeemable since near-launch, so I'm not so sure how this is all going to work out for folks.

Hence the 'hope' part.
I wouldn't hold my breath, but if people want to get Dark Souls for next to nothing... it's going to be either that or another price mistake.

Vibranium

Banned
Hence the 'hope' part.
I wouldn't hold my breath, but if people want to get Dark Souls for next to nothing... it's going to be either that or another price mistake.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Namco and Valve are going to be extra careful to make sure people don't end up with duplicate copies of DS.

Don't need this.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (TheAutomator, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

One Finger Death Punch -- MB-37427238B19092AE - Taken by The Reloader

zkylon

zkylewd
I've got bad news. I don't plan on playing the PC version until I go through at least 1-3 again :p (I might replay Tactics too, but I don't know, it's a game that I barely remember anything about despite beating it only a few years ago).
i know you must be wondering but i have a pretty strong opinion on which one out of all of those you should skip :D

Tellaerin

You can dicuss those things just fine.
Just dont admit kaizoku-ing ;)

Official anime of NeoGAF? >.>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ousTndxou8c

GFWL the service hasn't been shut down. MS just killed off the marketplace.

I'm assuming that means stuff you used to own on the GFWL marketplace can't be downloaded anymore? Kind of sucks, since I had some DLC for Bulletstorm and Tron: Evolution, which I imagine has been lost to the winds of time. :s

JaseC

I'm assuming that means stuff you used to own on the GFWL marketplace can't be downloaded anymore? Kind of sucks, since I had some DLC for Bulletstorm and Tron: Uprising, which I imagine has been lost to the winds of time. :s

Content owned prior to the shutdown can still be downloaded through the GFWL client. It's just no longer possible to purchase anything.

So my initial impression of Civ Beyond Earth after 3 hours and an aborted attempt at a game is maintaining your empire's health (Beyond Earth's equivalent of Civ V's Happiness) is frustrating. There doesn't seem to be any resource(s) that grants health they way Civ V's luxury resources grant happiness and there are a limited number of structures that maintain health that you can build in the early game. I looked around the technology web and some health generating structures are locked away by prohibitive amounts of research while others are tied to affinity. I had a three city empire that was completely and utterly miserable while the AI were just shitting out cities. I was trying to go Supremacy, which granted a bit of health for each military unit on the field but it wasn't enough to counter act it.

I'll try playing with the full ADVSR (or whatever enabled) to see if that makes for a smoother entry into the game. So far the in-game advisors seem about as useless as Civ V's. When there wasn't an immediate need for a tech I tried following the military, scientific, financial, etc. advisors around the tech web but that had me jumping around trying to research everything without really aiming for affinity specific tech.

Tellaerin

Content owned prior to the shutdown can still be downloaded through the GFWL client. It's just no longer possible to purchase anything.

Dammit, you replied before I could edit! *laugh* Meant Tron: Evolution, not Tron: Uprising. >_<

That's reassuring, though. I figured that stuff was pretty much lost. (Wonder if they'll make content like the extra multiplayer maps and preorder characters for Tron: Evo multiplayer available as DLC on Steam? Being able to pick up the ones I don't have would be enough to get me to double dip, I think.)

Dr Dogg

Oh, now I understand why Australia was so bleak in The Rover.

For every Muriel's Wedding or Pricilla there's a Mad Max or Wolf Creek in Austrailian cinema.

Thanks a lot for your quick impressions, can't wait to play that game myself! I like the sound of only having 8 Sponsors to choose from, it always takes me ages to decide what Civ to play as in Civ V. Also love how colourful it looks. How long did you play for?

I got about 40-45 turns in so still earlish. Whilst setting everything up (graphic settings wise) I randomly generated a few games and there's a bit of variation to the environment regards to look and feel and more so than standard Civ. Haven't got in to too much interaction with other Civ's (or Sponsors) but it will be intresting so see how they act and what their demenour is like. 8 is quite low so it will be intresting to see if they share set traits or are flexiable regards to being peaceful or warmongering etc. The Tech Web is a nice change as it goes off in many directions and the sub Technologies. How they're intergrated in to a system called Branches and Leaves makes sense when you take the time to read the Civlopedia entry.

One thing I will say is not to judge this as the next big thing in the Civilization franchise but just a side game with an intresting theme, built upon Civ V and the expansions with some new ideas to further mix the formula up a little. There's a few rough edges technically that look like they are being addressed asap (resolutions are a little odd on 120-144hz monitors and leader animations go a little wonky).

zkylon

zkylewd
wow at fourth dark souls 2 dlc incoming

i guess i can't complain but that's like hard to keep up by now

pretty crazy how much stuff they've been making, considering how high quality it's been and how hard it must be to make souls content

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
*Post brought to you by ItsGeeMcGee's generosity*

So I poked around Beyond Eath for a few minutes. It turns out almost every sound effect antagonizes my pup¹. So I had to cut short any real exploration of the game until a later date. But one thing I did note for people interested in exploring the genre with BE, while partially useful, the ingame tutorial system is a bit lacking. I would suggest starting out with Endless Legend as an alternative as its tutorial is more effective at teaching concepts and game mechanics.

¹Back to wearing headphones it is.

Not sure if posted, but Ghostlight have started the hint machine again.

Ghostlight said:
Moving on I can also inform you that we have agreed to convert another Japanese console game to PC which we’re really excited to be working on, plus we’re close to securing at least one more new product not previously released outside of Japan. I’m afraid that until everything is finalised I won’t be able to give you any more details, but I thought some of you might be interested to know that wheels are in motion.

Also a small update on Way of the Samurai 4:

Ghostlight said:
Anyway, while I’ve been focussing on Agarest 2, most of the really cool progress seems to be happening on the desk next door to me, where Ben is testing the latest PC version of Way of the Samurai 4. This week we’ve now got full PC controls (ie mouse and keyboard) working and the new save system is taking shape too. This does mean that there will be an announcement about the closed beta very soon. So if you’re interested in joining in, please do keep an eye on the blog for updates.

As some of you may know, the original PS3 version of Way of the Samurai 4 featured a selection DLC. We are currently looking into how to replicate this DLC in the PC build. We have to resolve a few technical issues on how best to integrate the content in our conversion but we expect to have more news on this soon. If you have any thoughts on how you’d like to see the DLC made available in the PC version, then please feel free to let us know in the comments below.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So what games are a must-avoid in Steam? I know there's Infestation (formerly War Z)

EDIT: whoops, not Plague Inc.!

Arthea

Not sure if posted, but Ghostlight have started the hint machine again.

Also a small update on Way of the Samurai 4:

oooh more never localized games!
I haven't guessed the last time and I'm glad I didn't, WotS4 was great surprise.
It's not much of a hint this time though, as they don't even say what kind of game it is.

So what games are a must-avoid in Steam? I know there's Plague Inc. (formerly War Z)

Gone Home is one of those to avoid (*&#65344;&#12540;´)

Must avoid?

he means playing, not buying, no worries

JaseC

I'm not sure.
I have a boxed copy of Dark Souls 1 on Steam, and I already redeemed my GFWL key on Steam, since it was a "feature" since Day 1.

If you redeemed a GFWL key on Steam, then the GFWL key Steam spits out is going to be the very same one. Only those who redeemed a retail 5x3 Steam key (assuming they exist at all) or bought the game on Steam itself will have a GFWL key to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom