• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Sale 2014] Indie-ana Games and the Temple of Hidden Gems

Tensketch

SpeedRunners is also a lot of fun. Here I'm playing as a guy in a shark costume, swinging through the air like your neighborhood spiderman.

ib0meB4TgZPfGS.gif

Made by the guy who Created the incredibly fun and also ridiculous 'No Time To Explain'
I once told the dev how I spent a day in the University computer lab playing the original NTTE on Newgrounds instead of revising for an exam and he was pretty cool and sent me a code for SpeedRunners.

All in all, the dev is pretty cool and his games are simple yet stupid amounts of fun.

Sulik2

I want to give a shout out to Dust: An Elysian Tale. I know a lot of people didn't play it because of the art, but it is a truly brilliant game. Incredibly well animated, excellent voice acting, a fantastic combat system, meaningful loot and upgrades and a genuinely well written story. Its really, really good.

I want to give a shout out to Dust: An Elysian Tale. I know a lot of people didn't play it because of the art, but it is a truly brilliant game. Incredibly well animated, excellent voice, a fantastic combat system, meaningful loot and upgrades and a genuinely well written story. Its really, really good.
Yeah, I'm just shaking my head reading that "Games you didn't play because of their art style" thread. People act as if the entire game is staring at anthropomorphic animals. Now I really don't like the character designs in those cutscenes as well, and tend to skip through the dialogue as fast as possible, but that's also because the game is so damn beautiful in motion and the gameplay is so fluid and well animated that I want to get right back to playing

SpeedRunners is also a lot of fun. Here I'm playing as a guy in a shark costume, swinging through the air like your neighborhood spiderman.

ib0meB4TgZPfGS.gif
Speedrunners has single player? I thought it was multiplayer only; that's why I had never really paid attention to it

rybrad

I want to give a shout out to Dust: An Elysian Tale. I know a lot of people didn't play it because of the art, but it is a truly brilliant game. Incredibly well animated, excellent voice, a fantastic combat system, meaningful loot and upgrades and a genuinely well written story. Its really, really good.
I agree, it is a fantastic game and Noogy is a really awesome dude as well.

Decado

The shmup thread is full of bullethell fans who think shmups should be all about convoluted scoring mechanisms and weaving a 1 pixel hitbox through a maze of projectiles, JnG isn't that kind of game.

Cool. Thanks. I'm not the biggest fan of the traditional bullethell shmups, so this more up my alley. I also like the idea of customizing your loadout.

Wensih

I'm hoping to community votes in "Point-and-Click" I really want to try out Stranded, a game I saw a couple months ago on IndieStatik.

Vlad

ibeiLza1cLVX3e.gif

I really hope SR gets a front page deal. A cheap 4-pack would be sweet.

I feel like I'm repeating myself after my Nidhogg question, but I have to know, how's the online play on Speedrunners? It doesn't appear to have quite as much split-second timing as Nidhogg does, so I'm assuming that it works well online?

Nabs

I feel like I'm repeating myself after my Nidhogg question, but I have to know, how's the online play on Speedrunners? It doesn't appear to have quite as much split-second timing as Nidhogg does, so I'm assuming that it works well online?

Online is great. Sure it's not GGPO perfect, but it's much more playable than Nidhogg.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Has anyone got any impressions on noir syndrome?

Badass played it I think. Let me search for it.

Edit, here:
So Noir Syndrome...granted, it's a good idea, a good concept. A procedurally generated noir mystery game, as you explore locations, collect clues, shoot mobsters. The pixel style is nicely done too, with little touches that add character to the world.

But as a game, unfortunately the fact that this is also meant to be a mobile game hampers the experience. It just feels shallow, repetitive. I feel like there's a lack of direction and no real sense of progress. Now being a mobile game doesn't mean a game has to be a shallow lacking experience, but this feels like it was made with mobile in mind first, before coming to PC. Especially with the search and shoot icons on the screen, that would fit nicely for touch controls but stand out while playing the game on PC.

Vlad

So, how's King Arthur's Gold? It sounds like a neat idea and looks ok, but all I could find on here was a thread from 2012. People love it in the thread, but how's it doing these days? Are there still people playing it?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So, how's King Arthur's Gold? It sounds like a neat idea and looks ok, but all I could find on here was a thread from 2012. People love it in the thread, but how's it doing these days? Are there still people playing it?

Does it have a forum? That should be rather representative of any activity.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Let me recommend to some They Bleed Pixels , an action platformer that feels like a combination between Super Meat Boy and Dustforce. A title where accurate platforming is often required, but attack combos for the best score and survival is key. This is no Kirby or Starfy, there will be plenty of deaths.

The game does have it's faults. It suffers a bit from the controls at time not being as quick as you may wish they were (design choice, not mechanic failure) and there are enemies that with poor design feel like they would have been at home with certain NES titles that sought arcade coin crunching difficulty or annoyance (tiny flying enemies in most games are bad). Yet through that there is still a sense of accomplishment once you kill a dozen enemies in a row or overcome a difficult section of platforming through a dash plus a jump into a wall jump onto safety that satisfies quite a few who are into platforming.

It's aesthetics are Lovecraft, but through the view of a young private primary girl and those crayon or charcoal or fevered dream art style may put some off in a pixel based title, but I found it charming and interesting as it changed from world to world.

In the end a difficult game, but one that can be mastered and will stand out amongst other platformers in your Steam collection if you get it and can enjoy it for very cheap right now.

+1 for They Bleed Pixels. Hard as nails precision platformer with fun bloody combat system.

I highly recommend Infested Planet. It's the David vs Goliath of strategy/RTS games. Your small squad against literally hundreds, thousands of aliens. It's thrilling and so visually satisfying to see your small force holding off and decimating the massive hordes. There's a lot of strategy too: where to position your troops, which equipment to research and upgrade, can you sacrifice that turret because you need the resources to build a health pod? A lot of content, challenging gameplay, and just a really fun game.

I hope Pixel Graphics - Hardcore wins. I've..uh, never played Cave Story

Marceles

I watched the speedrun of Dustforce, but I had no idea it looked that good, as well as SpeedRunners . Gotta purchase those

Awakened

The flash sale's over now, but it's an awesome game that deserves more attention. It's by the guy who did Soldat, which has some of my favorite 2D shooting gameplay ever. KAG has that except with arrows and adds much much more. Getting the timing on the charged sword attacks is very rewarding. Using your shield to glide or surf as a knight is fun. All classes can wall jump. There's advanced stuff like bomb jumping. The terrain destruction is excellent. Building traps and defenses as a builder is a nice contrast to the action of attacking.

The game gets updates decently often still and I've never had a problem jumping into a game. Here's a shot of the server list (I imagine the flash sale boosted the player count some):

kagsl3ojsq.png

Xetherion

Just wanted to recommend Epic Battle Fantasy 4 to all jrpg lovers out there. This game is hilarious, the attention to detail is great, and the game play is a lot of fun.

The combat is turn-based, it requires smart strategy because there are 10 different element types and every enemy is resistant to (or absorbs) some of them, but is weak to others.

There are four different difficulty levels, which you can change at any time outside of battle in the options with no penalty. You can also save the game any time outside of battle, no need to find a save point. Despite this I still have a hard time putting the game down when I need to!

There is always more to do, puzzles to solve, new skills to unlock, gear to upgrade, etc. The community sale was a couple days ago but it's still half off, only $6!

Katoki

Only took me a few days to getting around to finding this thread but Toma's Indie Game & Hidden Gem threads during these sales are always so pretty to look at.

Link Man

Banned
I've started playing The Bridge, got through the first 2 halls. It's a rather mind-bending puzzle game, but be warned, it gets pretty tough early on. You see, it's a physics-based puzzle game, and the physics in this game can be a little troublesome to work with. Still, it's interesting, and should satisfy fans of games like Braid.

Huh, it's not in the OP? http://store.steampowered.com/app/204240/

Vlad

The flash sale's over now, but it's an awesome game that deserves more attention. It's by the guy who did Soldat, which has some of my favorite 2D shooting gameplay ever. KAG has that except with arrows and adds much much more. Getting the timing on the charged sword attacks is very rewarding. Using your shield to glide or surf as a knight is fun. All classes can wall jump. There's advanced stuff like bomb jumping. The terrain destruction is excellent. Building traps and defenses as a builder is a nice contrast to the action of attacking.

The game gets updates decently often still and I've never had a problem jumping into a game. Here's a shot of the server list (I imagine the flash sale boosted the player count some):

kagsl3ojsq.png

Thanks for the info. Ended up getting it after all. Now.. to find the time to play it...

And of course, with that dilemma resolved, I now find myself considering Space Engineers. I know it's still way early, but sandbox spaceship construction just sounds too good. Only problem is that the game looks like it might run terribly on my system, so there's no way I'm diving in if they don't release a demo.

I ended up taking a risk on "Everyday Genius: Square Logic" hoping it would fill my desire for a Killer Sudoku game (it's not quite the same, but it is a varition which is quite enjoyable) and I have to say I'm extremely impressed by how many puzzles are available, and the ability to alter how much help it provides (auto-elimination, showing of possible solutions, and highlighting of errors immediately or afterwards). I do have some small qualms with it, primarily that numbers within cages are able to be reused (ie a possible solution to 5 is 2, 1, 2), the difficulty of the first world at least is far too low for anybody with prior experience with the type of puzzles (but I imagine that they're a good training excercise if you don't) given that it only uses one to four, and following that, one to five (I assume it progresses further, with each world adding an extra digit, or at least I hope so), and I don't like some of the alterations (some puzzles not showing the cage boundaries. Overall, I would very much recommend it to anybody with an interest in these type of logical puzzles, but I would stress the need that, if you've prior experience with any variation of Sudoku, turning off the help (which can make it almost as if it's on autopilot), and rushing through the first few worlds to get to the more challenging puzzles (which admittedly you'll breeze through if you've prior experience anyway so this doesn't take too long), is going to be required. This isn't a knock against it however, as there are more than enough puzzles to suit those with experience and those without experience alike. Thank you very much for this recommendation Toma!

Toma

I ended up taking a risk on "Everyday Genius: Square Logic" hoping it would fill my desire for a Killer Sudoku game (it's not quite the same, but it is a varition which is quite enjoyable) and I have to say I'm extremely impressed by how many puzzles are available, and the ability to alter how much help it provides (auto-elimination, showing of possible solutions, and highlighting of errors immediately or afterwards). I do have some small qualms with it, primarily that numbers within cages are able to be reused (ie a possible solution to 5 is 2, 1, 2), the difficulty of the first world at least is far too low for anybody with prior experience with the type of puzzles (but I imagine that they're a good training excercise if you don't) given that it only uses one to four, and following that, one to five (I assume it progresses further, with each world adding an extra digit, or at least I hope so), and I don't like some of the alterations (some puzzles not showing the cage boundaries. Overall, I would very much recommend it to anybody with an interest in these type of logical puzzles, but I would stress the need that, if you've prior experience with any variation of Sudoku, turning off the help (which can make it almost as if it's on autopilot), and rushing through the first few worlds to get to the more challenging puzzles (which admittedly you'll breeze through if you've prior experience anyway so this doesn't take too long), is going to be required. This isn't a knock against it however, as there are more than enough puzzles to suit those with experience and those without experience alike. Thank you very much for this recommendation Toma!

Everyday Genius. Square Logic becomes WAY more challenging, they also introduce way more rules and variants eventually. Love it, definitely was a surprise to me too when I played it 2 years ago :)

It's by the guy who did Soldat

I've seen KAG all over Steam but never bothered to give it a look... now I'm interested. Soldat was a lot of fun.

Oh and SpaceChem, omg, so fucking good. I finished Danopth last night and am thoroughly hooked. The "In-Place Swap" challenge my first real opportunity to develop a 1-reactor solution to a production line problem, so I spent a few hours last night attempting to do that. When I finally had it mapped out and working, I got the greatest sense of accomplishment I've felt from a puzzle game (or any game for that matter) in a long time. Then I checked youtube for other 1-reactor solutions to that challenge and discovered I was making it even harder on myself than I should've by forcing my setup to match the bond angles in the output diagrams. That tiny detail added so much convolution and complexity to the way I had to handle my molecules to avoid collisions and return them to the bonder layout "properly." Ended up with a single reactor with 99 symbols and 5,600+ cycles. Now I want to go back and make it more efficient... but nope, moving forward for now. I'll just use that knowledge to make my life easier on the next planets. *salutes Toma*

Toma

Yep, that sounds like SpaceChem. There is a reason I am honoring it with an avatar :p

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

Guys, what's the deal with the AC games? It says it requires UPlay. Does that mean I will have to have both UPlay and Steam open if I buy them?

Everyday Genius. Square Logic becomes WAY more challenging, they also introduce way more rules and variants eventually. Love it, definitely was a surprise to me too when I played it 2 years ago :)

That's great to hear. I'm somewhat disappointed it hasn't been discounted to try and sway more people to get it, but with the amount of content that's present, and the fair price, it's completely understandable.

I want to give a shout out to Dust: An Elysian Tale. I know a lot of people didn't play it because of the art, but it is a truly brilliant game. Incredibly well animated, excellent voice acting, a fantastic combat system, meaningful loot and upgrades and a genuinely well written story. Its really, really good.

this was a really really enjoyable game, it turned out to be far more enjoyable than i expected.

Brakke

Banned
Just grabbed Paper Sworcer. Never heard of it before but I'm on a bigtime Grimrock-fueled firstperson dungeon kick right now.

You're a hero, Toma.

Toma

Toma needs to update the OP, I posted about Volgarr a few pages back

Since I cant sleep anymore, now might be a good time as any. I'll play a few rounds of Fifa and update a bit then. The thread list is most important on the last Steam sale day anyway, so I wasnt exactly in a hurry while I a) had lots of work to do and b) felt like actually enjoying my time with Inquisitor :p

Speevy

Banned
Hey guys, I have a question for you.

Which indies do you feel have completely blazed a trail of their own?

In other words, when you think of a genre, you think of the indie game, its universe, its characters independent of its inspirations. It doesn't remind you of X and Y. It just is.

Burt

Surprised we haven't seen a Mercenary Kings deal yet. Holding out for a -66%, but if nothing else pops up for the rest of the sale that I want I might be willing to pick it up at -40%.

In other words, when you think of a genre, you think of the indie game, its universe, its characters independent of its inspirations. It doesn't remind you of X and Y. It just is.
Oh...that's tough

Well for me, I'd have to go back several years. The three games that introduced me to indies were Nitronic Rush, Warning Forever, and Facade. I think out of those, Facade is the one that stands out the most. I can't think of any other game that drops you into such an intimate situation and grants you such pivotal control over what happens. Not through dialogue choices but by typing whatever you want, and then the characters react accordingly

Really, there's nothing else like Facade IMO. It's unique to this day.
http://www.interactivestory.net

You know, you should post this question in the main Indie thread. This discussion is better suited there. You'll probably get a lot more intereresting answers

Burt

Well, the first games I think of that I can't draw any comparisons to off the top of my head (at least, in terms of games preceding them in their respective genres/gameplay styles):

Hotline Miami
Papers, Please
Minecraft (although there was apparently some game before it that it was based on)
FTL
Pretty much everything in that Sportsfriends bundle

Think Cave Story will come back as flash or daily?

Yup, although your guess is as good as mine.

I wish Rock of Ages had a skirmish v. AI mode, I'm hearing conflicting things about the online community being there and sometimes I just like to beat up easy AI :(

Top Bottom