• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Sale 2014] Indie-ana Games and the Temple of Hidden Gems

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Betrayer is cool. Really like the art style. I could see why some people might not find it appealing, but I think the muted aesthetic is well done and an interesting artistic choice. The game has a very unsettling mysterious atmosphere; not exactly scary, but definitely tense

The most complaints I read arent about the style, but more about the game design. Stuff like random spawns around you that immediately kill you or ranged attack enemies that kill you before you even notice them. If you play some more, I'd love an opinion on that .

I bought Game Dev Tycoon during sale, and I can say that it is a great game. I loved recreating the classics, I released, Pokémon, Mass Effect, Nolf, Civilization, Transport Tycoon, Chrono Cross and many others.
I wish I bought this game earlier!

Don't miss this if it'll be in the recap sales at last day.

Kopite

Ugh,just missed out on State of Decay. I'm new to Steam sales,is there any chance of it going back on the daily sale? Or should i just get it now?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ugh,just missed out on State of Decay. I'm new to Steam sales,is there any chance of it going back on the daily sale? Or should i just get it now?

wait for the last day, there's always a chance it could come back as a flash or vote deal or an encore on the final day

naib

Really enjoying Dungeonmans so far. Quirky and polished.
But it's too early to judge. <2hrs in.

Added the rest I'm interested in to my wishlist and waiting for deeper discos.

Thanks for these threads Toma!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Everyone who hasn't bought Rock of Ages should.

It's TWO DOLLARS and an incredibly creative twist of mixing two genres. It's from the creators of Zeno Clash.

You are Sisyphus and control a giant boulder. You have to get to the bottom of the hill to smash down a door and destroy the enemy hiding behind it.

Meanwhile the enemy is doing the same.

Everytime you hit the door with your boulder you've gotta wait for a new boulder to get built so you can hit the door again. While it's being built, you go top down RTS style and put up traps and stopgaps for your enemy as the enemy does the same.

Also, all of the art is taking examples from classic pieces of famous art and ripping it into the game as characters and looks lovely. It's also really funny.

I cannot recommend this game enough. The single player is fantastic. The competitive multiplayer is a blast. The mix of the genres goes together so smoothly and it's an absolute treat front to back. It can actually get pretty tough at times too, for those who like a challenge. Properly utilizing blockades, war elephants, catapults, bombs, etc etc becomes pretty vital.

And it works with GeDoSaTo!

screenshot_2014_06_22_22_03_11_by_aloo81-d7njqfa.jpg

screenshot_2014_06_22_22_01_15_by_aloo81-d7njqca.jpg

screenshot_2014_06_22_22_07_50_by_aloo81-d7njqbn.jpg

Seriously, you should check it out. It's worth your time, and definitely worth at least 2 bucks.

I cannot believe that the flash sale yesterday wasn't for Broforce. What's wrong with people?!?!
I'm certain it'll be a flash or daily, but yeah, I totally expected the group with Broforce and Luftrausers to win

(I'm biased of course because I love those games and everyone needs Broforce in their library)

KDR_11k

Yeah, reminds me of the winter sale when Little Inferno (not previously discounted) lost out to something that has been on sale like 50 times already. Fortunately LI popped up in a non-vote flash sale later.

Magicka looks fun. I had kind of ignored it because...I thought it was...an MMO or multiplayer only...yeah

I don't have enough to get the complete pack. What are the essential content DLC packs, that add new missions, expansions?

So I purchased Rogue Legacy since it's on sale..but then somehow I came across this game:

Intake
http://store.steampowered.com/app/237760/?snr=1_237_151__104_3

It's $4.99 but there's no discount.

Youtube vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae4HTYfhAPM

How do you play? You have 2 different colored pills that come down the screen and you need to move your mouse and click on them to destroy them. The thing is, you need to make sure your crosshair is the same color as the pill. You switch the color of the crosshair either by pressing the space bar or right click. By destroying pills with the right color, you increase your combo. Hit a pill with the wrong one, and you break it.

There's a certain amount of pills you need to destroy in order to reach the next level. The first few levels are simple enough so you can get familiar with how the game works. Every time you finish a level, you get a chance to shoot "coins" in order to buy things from the shop.

I've only gotten up to level 7 but around there, they switched things up and either the pills came down a bit faster or they added "mines" to the mix. They want you to be accurate when hitting the pills. If you click but miss a pill, it'll stop your combo.

I could see why this game has the "addictive" tag. This game will test your reflexes for sure. At one point, they increase the speed of the pills and shit gets crazy! Still not fast enough for it. At level 10, they'll throw something at you...that's when shit hits the fan, lol

There's a shop where you can buy powerups and other things. There's also a challenge mode, a progress report and leaderboards.

Apparently, this game is also available on iOS for $2.99:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/intake-be-aggressive/id765727108?mt=8

I don't know why there's no discount on it, but I had no problem giving my money to this game. Easy to learn but it's going to be a bitch in the later levels, lol.

Btw, thank you for this thread. A few games mentioned here that I have my eyes on.

As usual, you can't really get a good answer in the main Steam thread so I'll ask here:
Never played a SimCity game, what makes them fun? I have Prison Architect, but I find that setting compelling and it seems more intimate and exciting than a city.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
As usual, you can't really get a good answer in the main Steam thread so I'll ask here:
Never played a SimCity game, what makes them fun? I have Prison Architect, but I find that setting compelling and it seems more intimate and exciting than a city.

They are completely different games, I suggest you try these games for yourself since they are hard to compare really. Building proper city layouts and working on creating a self-sufficient city can be very rewarding if you watch your city grow. As I said, hard to compare, just give SC4 a try.

SimCity 4 is absolutely worth the few bucks it costs whenever it's on supersale; the hardcore micromanagement aspects like sliders and graph-watching can be reduced to a minor annoyance if you really can't stand that kind of stuff.

And the modding community has long since fixed all the extant problems and added all sorts of neat extras.

I think these belong in the OP

Tower of Guns - $6.74 (55% off)
ss_4e814edd055656b741f71081bdbae614cacf1f9b.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266110/

Quadruple-jumping steampunk bullet-hell mayhem. One of the best FPS roguelikes in the genre.

Volgarr The Viking - $5.99 (50% off)
iUJGl4tmaTcro.gif

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247240/

It took me six hours to beat the first level.
Prepare to die...a lot in this brutally challenging action platformer.

The Ball - $4.99 (50% off)
ss_2bf06abdf7b5b3523939c04d10635a33088d1cd1.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35460

Splatter enemies and solve puzzles with a giant ball in an ancient trap-filled temple, Actually a really enjoyable game

10 Second Ninja - $4.99 (50% off)
ss_73a55070f8039498e939de56a33cdd5be55b30ba.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/271670

A fast twitchy action puzzle game. Destroy Nazi robots with speed and precision. You only have 10 seconds

Influx - $4.99 (50% off)
ss_ff8460c618c41b2c7f2019f1ed34814a0e40d00d.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/246980

A mix of exploration in picturesque environments and physics-based puzzles. Not the longest game or the most challenging, but certainly a fun experience

Capsule - $4.99 (not on sale, but so worth it)
ss_2e3791c8093ff86610a5c109e83ceb0caec5b860.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/303940/

Capsule is a minimalist experience that absolutely delivers and I'd recommend the game for its tense gameplay, fantastic atmosphere, and immersive soundscape. Gameplay-wise, it's a balancing act between exploration and desperation, masterfully crafting a gripping atmosphere through audio and sound alone.

solarus

EDIT: Created a new post down below to submit Dustforce as an entry, formatted according to the rules in the OP with my mini review. Would appreciate it if you added it to the OP Toma :)
OP is invalid without dustforce, it's one of the best games on steam and better than super meat boy in my eyes. Oh and the OST is fucking incredible. Just really great level design and platforming, I have to SS every level I do.
Hitbox deserves all the money in the world.
dustforce_d-2011-09-12-20-57-16-85.png

Burt

OP is invalid without dustforce, it's one of the best games on steam and better than super meat boy in my eyes. Oh and the OST is fucking incredible. Just really great level design and platforming, I have to SS every level I do.

+1 for everything here.

Also, Risk of Rain is awesome but hard hard hard

KDR_11k

I asked about this game a while back in the SHMUP thread and was told to steer clear. Not sure if the recent patch changes much.

I remember playing it a bit many years ago. Does it have widescreen support?

The shmup thread is full of bullethell fans who think shmups should be all about convoluted scoring mechanisms and weaving a 1 pixel hitbox through a maze of projectiles, JnG isn't that kind of game.

Leatherface

I asked about this game a while back in the SHMUP thread and was told to steer clear. Not sure if the recent patch changes much.

It's been a little bit since I've played but yes, I *believe* it does. I can tell you though, it is a damn fine game and fun as hell. I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't. One of my favs.

Link Man

Banned
Played some Offspring Fling! just now, it's a pretty great game. Check it out if you like the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series.

Vlad

Played some Offspring Fling! just now, it's a pretty great game. Check it out if you like the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series.

I've got to dissent a bit on that one, sadly. I felt that it just didn't do enough with the concept. I ended up plowing through the game, waiting for it to get difficult and really start doing clever things with the concept, but never did. Stuff like being able to carry a bunch of offspring at a single time is never really utilized in any clever ways, and the game ends up just feeling flat because of it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Jets'n'Guns Gold plays just fine from my experience, though a bit unclear in the weapon and item selection and I've more than enjoyed it from the last sale it had.

In the options it does have a Fit To Screen that will turn it to widescreen, at least the look of, if that's what your resolution is set to display.

ArjanN

I've got to dissent a bit on that one, sadly. I felt that it just didn't do enough with the concept. I ended up plowing through the game, waiting for it to get difficult and really start doing clever things with the concept, but never did. Stuff like being able to carry a bunch of offspring at a single time is never really utilized in any clever ways, and the game ends up just feeling flat because of it.

Offspring Fling is odd in that just beating the game is really easy, but getting all the rainbow flowers is at a Super Meat Boy level of challenge.

Matt Frost

Just bought it, it is awesome. Thanks to you and to More_Badass for the recommendation!

Vlad

Offspring Fling is odd in that just beating the game is really easy, but getting all the rainbow flowers is at a Super Meat Boy level of challenge.

Yeah, but that just seemed finicky and unpleasant, so I didn't bother. When I tried to do one of the very first ones and what I presume was the ghost time I had to beat ended up running faster than I was, I knew that it'd be more trouble than it was worth.

It still doesn't help the game's problem of never really doing much with its main concept. You're just doing the same basic stuff faster.

solarus

Dustforce - $4.99 (50% off)
screenshot6.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/65300/
I can say without any hesitation that this is one of the best platformers on Steam. If you are familiar with super meat boy, this game offers the same level of hardcore gameplay, that never feels frustrating due to the near instant respawns and tight level design. Dustforce however surpasses super meat boy in my opinion due to the added depth offered by the combat (light and heavy attacks) and the ability to dash, once you get the hang of every level it's crazy how fast and fluidly you can move through it. The aesthetic for the game is wonderful and it's worth buying the game for the soundtrack alone, seriously. Check out the OST on the official bandcamp page and you'll know what I mean http://lifeformed.bandcamp.com/album/fastfall . You'll find yourself refusing to move on from each level until you've gotten an SS rank and the level of mastery that comes with that is really rewarding and enjoyable. For 5 dollars, this is an absolute steal.

Nabs

Dustforce hits you from every angle. Great art style, great music, and plenty of challenge. It's the game that keeps on giving.

Did Dustforce on PC ever get patched to add the option to disable checkpoints, as the console versions had?

I'm pretty sure you could always disable checkpoints in the options menu.

SpeedRunners is also a lot of fun. Here I'm playing as a guy in a shark costume, swinging through the air like your neighborhood spiderman.

ib0meB4TgZPfGS.gif

Toma

Dustforce hits you from every angle. Great art style, great music, and plenty of challenge. It's the game that keeps on giving.

SpeedRunners is also a lot of fun. Here I'm playing as a guy in a shark costume, swinging through the air like your neighborhood spiderman.

ib0meB4TgZPfGS.gif

Whats the feature list of speedrunners? online/couch coop?

Nabs

Whats the feature list of speedrunners? online/couch coop?

4-players online, 4-players offline, full bot support, I believe there's some form of single player as well. The game has a level editor and full workshop support.

Top Bottom