• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Sale 2014] Indie-ana Games and the Temple of Hidden Gems

[*]Grand Ages: Rome - $1,99 (80% off) : Fantastic strategy game in a genre that only sees watered down iOS entries these days. These city builder games were the first games where I started being vocal about certain games on GAF, the accompanying thread is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417484 You cant go wrong with paying $2 to build Rome from scratch.[/list]

Bought all of these with over a 70% sale, only question remaining is do I buy Grand Ages Rome Gold or vanilla?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Bought all of these with over a 70% sale, only question remaining is do I buy Grand Ages Rome Gold or vanilla?

I definitely suggest grabbing the DLC with it, adds more of everything.

I definitely suggest grabbing the DLC with it, adds more of everything.

Acquire games!
zqVSdfDzppDG.png

Unholy Heights - $3.19 (20% off)
ss_55adcc62701bf1e03394764f442ae0bcd2946d73.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249330/

Unholy heights is a doujin tower defense mixed with some management elements and a bit of devil simulator. It's a charming game where you need to manage an hotel for monsters, you need to decorate and improve the rooms to attract certain races. You can choose "quests" to bring more money to you but you need to prepare for the humans invaders that want kill the inhabitants and take your money.

I think it may get a deeper discount.

Dungeonmans A solid 20% off knocking it down to $11.99 for an incredibly solid Early Access Roguelike that just had a giant update, is developing overall at a good clip, and is loaded up on crazy good music and Castle of the Winds homage stylings.

Easily up there in the best of the best as far as Early Access Roguelikes on Steam goes, Roguelikes outright period on Steam and in general---a great example of an ongoing Kickstarter success story to counteract the horror stories.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120/

Vlad

Since a few months, yes.

Not on Steam, but well worth your attention

DROD 1-2-3 - $4.99/$2.49 (50%/75% off)

Oh god. As much as I loved the first game, I don't think I could ever do more of that. I actually finished the first one (I think it was the first one, at least.. it was the free one), and as much as I enjoyed it and found it well designed, different, and exceptionally challenging, I never want to play any of those games again as long as I live. I've never been so frustrated by a game, but keep going back to it for more abuse.

So yeah, I second the recommendation.

Good on Toma for great roundup. Was especially glad to see Altitude in there. That's been one of my favorite under-the-radar gems, and I find myself going back to it every so often even years later.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any thoughts on Super Splatters?

->
Super Splatters is so good. The redone campaign makes the mechanics way easier to grasp. Playing makes you feel like a scientist, an artist and a rock star.

Super Splatters Surprisingly fun AND deep game. You need to pull off stunts in the levels while hitting some elements. Very satisfying and reminds me a bit of Peggle in that regard. Highscore leaderboards, fun gameplay, high focus on combos that require a good amount of skill to pull off and a cute artstyle. This one is a surprise, but one some of you really need to check out.

ampere

SpaceChem - $2,49 (75% off) : To no ones surprise, I'll include this game here as well. I'll preach this game until the day I die. If you never tried the game and you are up for a challenge, give it a whirl for $2,49.

I keep hearing about this one. It looks so insanely complicated that I've never tried it. Is there at least a fair couple easy levels to get started?

$2.49 is probably worth taking a shot at it.

Toma

will crimsonland become cheaper or is it too new for a bigger discount ?

Yeah, I think it wont get a deeper discount, cant imagine them doing 66%+ after 1-2 weeks. The game is definitely worth the price though, so super fun.

Toma

I keep hearing about this one. It looks so insanely complicated that I've never tried it. Is there at least a fair couple easy levels to get started?

The first two worlds should be doable by anyone, which is still about 10 hours worth of content.

Vlad

The basic rules are pretty straightforward, but the game does some amazing things with it. There's a demo on Steam that should give you a pretty good idea of whether you'll like it or not. It covers the basics of the game, and from what I remember, the point where the game opens up into "mind-blowing" territory.

The thing to keep in mind about the game is that, for all of its perceived complexity, there's very little "structure" to it. All you have is input chemicals that the game gives you and X number of output chemicals that you have to produce to succeed. Other than that, there aren't very many "limits", so there's a gigantic amount of creativity in how you can approach solving the levels. So much so that after the end of every level the game compares how long your solution took to run, how many pieces you used to solve it, and so on to everybody else who's played the game. You can spend so much time on a particular solution, though, that even if it's horribly inefficient and takes forever to run, you love it all the same because it's yours. I spent days working on a solution for one of the extra, TF2-themed puzzles, and my scores were some of the worst in the world, but the solution still counts, and I loved my little kludge all the more.

This thread is always my favorite part of Steam sales. I don't keep up with PC games that much, especially in this last year where I haven't played many games at all, so this thread is perfect for catching up. I added around 30 games to my wishlist by looking through this thread to make sure I don't forget any of the ones I want. Thanks for the awesome contributions, everyone!

So I've played Inquisitor for about 40 minutes. Honestly, I can't really give detailed impressions because I've barely done anything. It's a game that definitely doesn't hold your hand. All I've done so far is walk around the first town and talk to people, so I can't say how the combat or other aspects of gameplay are. I'm not saying that as a bad thing; it has a slower pace than most RPGs I've played. I especially like the atmosphere and tone; it's kind of reminiscent of Game of Thrones in a way: gritty, grim, there is magical and fantasy elements but it feels more realistic than other fantasy games I've played.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
How's the online in it, anyway? I've always really liked the look of it, but it's always seemed like something more geared to local multiplayer, and I've got nobody to play it with.

No idea...I have only played it locally which is balls-to-the-wall fun. I personally haven't purchased it yet as I am waiting for the PS4 release.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
How's the online in it, anyway? I've always really liked the look of it, but it's always seemed like something more geared to local multiplayer, and I've got nobody to play it with.

It was barely together at launch. Some fights would lag like hell while others were perfectly fine as far as games like that can be. There was no spectate which takes out half of the fun of Nidhogg and I kept getting dropped from the lobby and would require several re-invites before I could get back in.

Fun game and I am glad they got online multi in there but it really needed some work.

Vlad

It was barely together at launch. Some fights would lag like hell while others were perfectly fine as far as games like that can be. There was no spectate which takes out half of the fun of Nidhogg and I kept getting dropped from the lobby and would require several re-invites before I could get back in.

Fun game and I am glad they got online multi in there but it really needed some work.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Something that fast-paced doesn't seem to lag-friendly, either. Unfortunately, none of my real-life friends play anything more involved than Wii Sports, so something like Nidhogg would be a hell of a hard sell.

ampere

The first two worlds should be doable by anyone, which is still about 10 hours worth of content.

The basic rules are pretty straightforward, but the game does some amazing things with it. There's a demo on Steam that should give you a pretty good idea of whether you'll like it or not. It covers the basics of the game, and from what I remember, the point where the game opens up into "mind-blowing" territory.

The thing to keep in mind about the game is that, for all of its perceived complexity, there's very little "structure" to it. All you have is input chemicals that the game gives you and X number of output chemicals that you have to produce to succeed. Other than that, there aren't very many "limits", so there's a gigantic amount of creativity in how you can approach solving the levels. So much so that after the end of every level the game compares how long your solution took to run, how many pieces you used to solve it, and so on to everybody else who's played the game. You can spend so much time on a particular solution, though, that even if it's horribly inefficient and takes forever to run, you love it all the same because it's yours. I spent days working on a solution for one of the extra, TF2-themed puzzles, and my scores were some of the worst in the world, but the solution still counts, and I loved my little kludge all the more.

Cool. Sounds like an interesting puzzler.

I'll likely buy it and post some impressions later.

Cyrano

Yeah, that's what I figured. Something that fast-paced doesn't seem to lag-friendly, either. Unfortunately, none of my real-life friends play anything more involved than Wii Sports, so something like Nidhogg would be a hell of a hard sell.
As much as Nidhogg is a legit awesome game, the netcode sadly isn't there. Maybe at some point it will implemetn GGPO, I dunno. I figure however that it would be necessary to actually make the online worthwhile.

Local is amazing though.

Toma

Alright, checking the thread for more suggestions.

I'll also need to adjust the OP to fit more games in there, argh. Stupid character limit. An OP that requires 8 posts is easily my record.

Toma

Hey, so should I buy these if they are daily/flash?

Yes, games wont get cheaper than if they are on a daily/flash. Likely many of those wont get a deeper deal at all, but thats what the last sale day is for.

Toma

Finally getting La Mulana. Was on my to buy list for a long time, but never got around to it.

The game will surprise you a lot if you never watched any longer gameplay videos and only went by screenshots and descriptions.

So as someone who absolutely loved the Caesar series, is Grand Ages Rome worth a get or is it too combat focused?

I mostly just want the city building part. I am still bummed out I missed Anno on sale.

Toma

So as someone who absolutely loved the Caesar series, is Grand Ages Rome worth a get or is it too combat focused?

I mostly just want the city building part. I am still bummed out I missed Anno on sale.

It doesnt get much better than the classics in the genre unfortunately. I'd say Grand Ages is still worth a try, but you shouldnt expect a better game. Children of the Nile might be up your alley though if you didnt play that yet. I actually think CotN is the better game.

Top Bottom