• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Sale 2014] Indie-ana Games and the Temple of Hidden Gems

So yeah, Super Splatters is really good. Toma said it, a fun and deep game. The art style is cute and colorful, the physics are finely tuned, and the gameplay is so satisfying. I've never played Peggle, so I'd say it's kind of like Angry Birds meets Tony Hawk. You launch your splatters across each stage, doing various stunts and maneuvers to deftly spray yourself onto score-boosting pods. It sounds simple, but it isn't. Challenging, fun, very addictive

It doesnt get much better than the classics in the genre unfortunately. I'd say Grand Ages is still worth a try, but you shouldnt expect a better game. Children of the Nile might be up your alley though if you didnt play that yet. I actually think CotN is the better game.

I think I will nab it. At 3 bucks for the complete edition I cant really complaint too much. Thanks.

I cant get over CotN aesthetics. Its not that it looks too old, just the style doesnt do anything for me. And for me aesthetics are a large part of the reason I play city building games.

Is there a specific reason why isnt Caesar 4 on Steam?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I think I will nab it. At 3 bucks for the complete edition I cant really complaint too much. Thanks.

I cant get over CotN aesthetics. Its not that it looks too old, just the style doesnt do anything for me. And for me aesthetics are a large part of the reason I play city building games.

Is there a specific reason why isnt Caesar 4 on Steam?

No clue unfortunately.

And man... looking at CotN screenshots:
maxresdefault.jpg
Immortal-Cities-Children-Of-The-Nile-pc-4.jpg

Forcing your population to build huge ass pyramids never gets old.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Done with the first page, rearranged the OP posts and added Inquisitor, NaissanceE, Teslagrad, OneFingerDeath Punch, Danmaku 2 and Crimzon Clover.

Vlad

Alright, checking the thread for more suggestions.

I'll also need to adjust the OP to fit more games in there, argh. Stupid character limit. An OP that requires 8 posts is easily my record.

I don't know if you intentionally left them out in favor of some of the lesser-known indies, but I'd say that Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac, and VVVVVV are absolute must-haves.

Toma

Page 2 done:
BroForce, DungeonMans, Everyday Genius, Ichi, Skyborn, Octodad

Toma

I don't know if you intentionally left them out in favor of some of the lesser-known indies, but I'd say that Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac, and VVVVVV are absolute must-haves.

Isaac is not on sale, but if you give me personal recommendation blurbs for the others, I'll add them. I previously ran this thread by only including games that people mentioned here and... nobody ever mentioned them because everybody knows about them already I guess.

Evo X

Great OP. Thanks for posting.

I already own most of the popular titles on that list, but will definitely pick up Transistor and Banner Saga whenever they go on flash or daily.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Got One Way Heroics and while the presentation could do better, it's pretty awesome. For the price its a steal.

Glad you like it. It's one of our favorite games.

Also, we've got more games on sale!

hZH0QUX.png

If anyone has questions about any of the games we've put out, feel free to ask. I'm happy to help :D

Toma

Added Unholy Heights, TowerFall and Nidhogg to the list as well.

Toma

Why are all these Indies that I want to check out quickly so fucking huge. Inquisitor certainly didnt look like 2,4 gb o_O

nacimento

Eador and Valley without Wind are amazing. I got like 80 hours out of Eador and I still haven't finished the campaign.

There is also an unsettling lack of King's Bounty games on this list.

Toma

Eador and Valley without Wind are amazing. I got like 80 hours out of Eador and I still haven't finished the campaign.

There is also an unsettling lack of King's Bounty games on this list.

I agree, wanna do something about it?

Kumubou

One Way Heroics for 87 cents, aww yisssss.

Toma, one thing to correct: the Carpe Fulgur collection is actually half off ($24.99), not 0% off as you have it listed.

Toma

I'm holding out for Ironclad Tactics. How likely is it that the game will be a daily or flash?

50/50

And as I said in the OP, you should grab the Humble Weekly Bundle to get it together with Eador:

Eador: Masters of the Broken World - $4,99 (75% off) : The lowest price its ever been and among the best turn based strategy games out there. Consider grabbing the Humble Weekly Bundle for $9 though to get Ironclad Tactics as well: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly?...=enhancedsteam
Ironclad Tactics - $7,49 (50% off) : Fantastic card based strategy game with real time combat and deck customization. Lots of content too, consider grabbing it for $9 on the Humble Weekly Bundle to get Eador: Masters of the Broken World as well: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly?...=enhancedsteam

Toma

One Way Heroics for 87 cents, aww yisssss.

Toma, one thing to correct: the Carpe Fulgur collection is actually half off ($24.99), not 0% off as you have it listed.

Thanks, corrected.

Cyrano

Why are all these Indies that I want to check out quickly so fucking huge. Inquisitor certainly didnt look like 2,4 gb o_O
It's a 200+ Hour game... and that's being kind of conservative for a single playthrough. The game world is absolutely massive.

Teeth

I would like to add my recommendation (along with the one in the OP) for Oniken.

It is a brilliant example of efficiency in game design. It takes very simple mechanics and explores a breadth of environmental and enemy hazards and does so with basically zero repetition. It is a game that is exactly as long as it should be, with zero bloat.

Too many indie games I find have great ideas but only so-so basics (game feel, tightness of control). Oniken has excellent refinement, hard-but-not-too-hard challenge, and continuous action.

It isn't perfect; there are some cheap shots here and there and some of the bosses are easy to cheese; the thematic elements are nonsense (and not the enjoyable kind), but it's actually tough to find decent straight up action games these days and Oniken fills the void well.

Not a puzzle-action game, or an action game with rpg elements, or an action game with time warp or anything else. Oniken is an action game, straight up, and a good one at that.

finally bit on papers, please

I'm a sucker for endless modes/procedurally-generated stuff; it's often underwhelming but when done right it makes me happy that it's such a big thing in indie games

now to see what this is all about...

For anyone thinking about Nidhogg, while it's pretty decent by itself, if you have a roommate or friends to play it with, please please get it. It is so good. You will yell so much. You will be so mad

Better with drinking

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Picked up E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. I've read good things about it and you can't beat $0.99. Sounds like it's an underrated gem

E.Y.E. is bananas and awesome. I highly recommend playing it in multiplayer if you can. Once you find a really stupid funny place to grind levels, you can do some really stupid/amazing stuff in that game.

It's like a fundamentally broken Deus Ex in the best way.

Also, the story and universe are fucking nuts.

megalowho

Bought Pool Nation for $2 and having a lot of fun with it, rounds move fast and the physics are solid. Used to love Virtual Pool back in the day and they definitely nail that late 90's PC game feel here. Only downside is it seems buggy, has crashed a few times already but would still likely recommend at that price.

zallaaa

The Walking Dead Season 2, 50% off! Bite or wait for a flash sale? Could it possibly go lower? I remember buying the first one for 3.74€ or the like...

Cyrano

E.Y.E. is bananas and awesome. I highly recommend playing it in multiplayer if you can. Once you find a really stupid funny place to grind levels, you can do some really stupid/amazing stuff in that game.

It's like a fundamentally broken Deus Ex in the best way.

Also, the story and universe are fucking nuts.
It is a fun game but you will not have a clue what's going on. And to be honest? I wouldn't fault anyone who simply gives themselves unlimited brouzoufs to mess around with. It is one of the few games I've played where seemingly any bonus you give yourself, short of god mode, does not actually matter all that much. You can fully upgrade stuff and while it gives you an advantage, the advantage is way more subtle than you would think.

KDR_11k

Bunny Must Die (50% -> 5$) is a great metroidvania game, make sure to finish it because the second quest is awesome too.

Picked up E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. I've read good things about it and you can't beat $0.99. Sounds like it's an underrated gem

The devs are apparently working on a Space Hulk FPS now, that seems like it'll be great/crazy.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light: I'm obliged to recommend this game yet again, since Super House of Dead Ninjas is already mentioned on the first page. GoL is hands down one of the (to date) best co-op games available on Steam and even with all its jank I wouldn't hesitate to call it a diamond in the rough. Everything about it is designed around the player having fun, the puzzles are wildly different in single- and multiplayer, there's a lot of laughs to be had with griefing potential alongside a friend (made all the sweeter by you depending on one another to advance), even today it's looks great visually and it has a lot of replayability with the various collectibles (which aren't just mindless fluff) scattered about as well as it being very enjoyable to speedrun during repeat playthroughs. It's a big deal that Square-Enix finally got their heads out of their asses by announcing a sequel to this game!

Aqua Kitty - Milk Mine Defender: I honestly went into this with the worst expectations based on its name alone and I was pleasantly surrpised that this turned out to be legitimately good. Conceptually it's somewhat similar to Defender (albeit with cats in submarines), it has a nice audiovisual presentation (cute pixel art + catchy soundtrack) and it does tend to get fairly difficult at times. Its Arcade Mode is probably my favorite part of Aqua Kitty though: it changes up the structure of the game by making it a "one life only" ordeal, power-ups are now controlled by deciding how you best spend your money after you collect gems and it's actually stressful because all of your progress is undone should you die. If you're looking for something to kill time with where you mindlessly blow crap up, then you can't really go wrong with this one if you're into these style of 2D shooters.

Velocity Ultra: criminally underrated. Definitely try this out if you're into games that move at a blistering pace. At first it starts off relatively easy and I was a little unsure what it was supposed to be (a shooter? an off-beat racer? a soft-puzzle game?) but it's a delightful blend of all those elements and eventually it just feels positively overwhelming juggling all of your tasks without sacrificing your speed if you're anything like me, striving for high ratings and being a bit of a completionist. Still uncertain whether you'll like it? Just watch this trailer of Velocity 2X and filter out the side-scrolling sections outside of your ship for an accurate representation.µ

Cook, Serve, Delicious!: cooking à la Wario Ware. Now with a daily challenge mode and excellent controller support too as per a recent patch!

Moobabe

hZH0QUX.png

If anyone has questions about any of the games we've put out, feel free to ask. I'm happy to help :D

You guys should take this fine chap up on his offer - La Mulana and Astebreed in particular are worthy of your dollars/pounds etc

RustyO

Thanks Toma for the awesome thread, noted a few titles that I'll be grabbing along the way... Picked up Papers, Please just now... we'll see how that goes. Along with the latest Humble Bundle, seems like some good picks there, and Shadowrun Returns, and Sins of a Solar Empire.

[*]SpaceChem - $2,49 (75% off) : To no ones surprise, I'll include this game here as well. I'll preach this game until the day I die. If you never tried the game and you are up for a challenge, give it a whirl for $2,49.

SpaceChem is simply amazing, I think you put me onto it from the OT?

I'd recommend everyone to at least check it out, if it clicks, it's amazing.

nacimento

King's Bounty: The Legend

King's Bounty is a brilliant mix of Heroes of Might and Magic-style strategy and role-playing. You embark on a great island-hopping adventure, fighting tactical Heroes-style battles with your army of demons, undead, dwarves and more while solving quests through the world. The story is nothing remarkable but it shines with a great sense of humour. This game was certainly one of the best surprises I had in gaming the last years.

It's two stand-alone expansions (now three, the third one is just out) that are also very good. They are quite similar to the main game though, so if you for some unconceivable reason didn't like The Legend, they won't win you over. It is better to get Crossroads instead of Armored Princess for the first expansion, since it's the same game only enhanced.

MoonGred

Should I get Audiosurf 1 or 2?
I remember a GB quicklook from a while ago stating that seeing 2 was early access it was missing a fair amount of feature.
Is it a more complete package now?

Anony

hZH0QUX.png

are they going to be in the flash/daily/community picks

Toma

Any ideas about Papo&Yo? It has a Brothers-tale of two sons kinda feeling, which is nice.

The opinion on that is a bit divisive, but I thought it was absolutely lovely. Imagine a bit less homogenous Ico with more direct "puzzle" elements and some imaginative visual trickery:
i4epWNuxPXqPz.gif

I actually think its a very charming game, and if you just let yourself in on what the game offers, it shouldnt disappoint you, even with its minor flaws.

Toma

Where did you get it for a dollar, was it on a flash sale?

Yep.

SpaceChem is simply amazing, I think you put me onto it from the OT?

I'd recommend everyone to at least check it out, if it clicks, it's amazing.

You're welcome :) And yeah, I took opinions on some games from other gaffers that would mostly align with my own words on those games, because writing up everything myself would have taken me even longer.

Top Bottom