• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Sale 2014] Indie-ana Games and the Temple of Hidden Gems

KDR_11k

BTW, Super Puzzle Platformer doesn't have any match-3 rules, it follows a Mr. Driller logic in that matched blocks disappear together if the player chooses to destroy even one of them but you can break any number of blocks and matches merely increase the score you get (and increase the risk of running out of ground to stand on).

Amagon

Why did I look into this thread??? I was on a budget but now.....

2bnltDw.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Well... wow. How this gem of a game hid itself from me will be forever a mystery. Deep customization, lots of skills, secrets, lore, well written text. This game is ace. I should make a thread for it (Inquisitor) before the sale ends in case there wasnt already one.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks OP - just bought 5 games from the list that I never knew about.

Thank you OP, there were several games in your post to which I was not aware, but are now on my radar.

I am always curious about which games people didnt know about or werent interested in before. What were your picks?

rybrad

Well... wow. How this gem of a game hid itself from me will be forever a mystery. Deep customization, lots of skills, secrets, lore, well written text. This game is ace. I should make a thread for it (Inquisitor) before the sale ends in case there wasnt already one.
I would definitely be interested in hearing some expanded thoughts if you make a thread. I had this one on my wishlist awhile ago but passed it up in a couple bundles/deals since I had heard mainly negative word-of-mouth on it.

Toma

I would definitely be interested in hearing some expanded thoughts if you make a thread. I had this one on my wishlist awhile ago but passed it up in a couple bundles/deals since I had heard mainly negative word-of-mouth on it.

I'll definitely write something up eventually, maybe tomorrow. I am 2 hours in, and I want to get some more playtime before writing a more involved recommendation.

Game just went into beta, so I think it's worth a mention (that and because it's an awesome game)

Door Kickers - $11.99 (20% off)
ss_0d8b17c66629848abdbb42fa0de81801ae52d2a6.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248610/

Top down tactical SWAT simulator. Simple intuitive controls, great visuals, a lot of depth and tactics at your disposal. May be Early Access, but it's up there with Prison Architect and Broforce, as one of the few that feel like complete games getting regular content updates.

So you might be thinking "Why do I need this game if I already have Frozen Synapse?". Now Door Kickers was one of the first PC games I bought, and while Frozen Synapse may be king in terms of multiplayer, I feel like Door Kickers is superior in other aspects. I enjoy the realistic SWAT setting and aesthetic far more than FS's sci-fi style. Frozen Synapse focuses on warfare; Door Kickers focuses on controlled planning and precise team work and meticulous assaults. Go in loud or stealthy, rescue hostages, arrest bad guys, defuse bombs. There's a ton of content, modding, a level editor, a leveling-up system for your squad, and special challenges for each mission

Toma

Game just went into beta, so I think it's worth a mention (that and because it's an awesome game)

Door Kickers - $11.99 (20% off)

So you might be thinking "Why do I need this game if I already have Frozen Synapse?". Now Door Kickers was one of the first PC games I bought, and while Frozen Synapse may be king in terms of multiplayer, I feel like Door Kickers is superior in other aspects. I enjoy the realistic SWAT setting and aesthetic far more than FS's sci-fi style. Frozen Synapse focuses on warfare; Door Kickers focuses on controlled planning and precise team work and meticulous assaults. Go in loud or stealthy, rescue hostages, arrest bad guys, defuse bombs. There's a ton of content, modding, a level editor, a leveling-up system for your squad, and special challenges for each mission

That game went a long way since the first alpha build.

I got to thank Toma for making this thread. Really this is the only place to have good discussion about Summer Sale games. I skimmed the last few pages of the main Sale thread and it's practically nothing but stupid team crap.

Toma

I got to thank Toma for making this thread. Really this is the only place to have good discussion about Summer Sale games. I skimmed the last few pages of the main Sale thread and it's practically nothing but stupid team crap.

The more stupid meta things steam piles on, the worse it gets. Last year it was card talk, now its card and team talk, etcpp.

I know its been around for a bit, but I've been mainly playing Tales of Maj 'Eyal ever since I won it in a modbot drawing a few months ago. Steam says...yikes 569 hrs played, but that includes a few stretches of forgetting to turn it off. 3.49 in Steam. free from the website, but donors get an extra class and a few other things. 1300+achievements, lots of races/classes to choose from. roguelike turn based. very cool check it out. the dev is very active and puts out new updates periodically with more classes and other refinements.

http://te4.org/download

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Awesome thread.

I got Inquisitor.

Yup. I wish the main thread focus on talking about deals and hidden deals instead of the offtopic talks.

Cyrano

Well... wow. How this gem of a game hid itself from me will be forever a mystery. Deep customization, lots of skills, secrets, lore, well written text. This game is ace. I should make a thread for it (Inquisitor) before the sale ends in case there wasn't already one.
Welcome to having your life stolen away. :p

From wikipedia, just to give you an idea of how big the game is.
Development took 10 years and the game was released in November 2009. Translation took another three years.
As a note, it was also written by one person, so it has a nice, consistent tone.
The game received average to positive reviews. It was praised for its story, atmosphere and scope, but was criticized for the quality of its graphics and its high difficulty.
This is maybe the thing that annoys me the most about critics today. Criticized for the quality of its graphics and high difficulty. A certain graphical style and high difficulty seem like things most people would want in a game that is attempting to hearken back to Baldur's Gate. Modern videogame reviews... ugh.

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten - $7.49 (50% off)
ss_fcf4b73f67cc42e9deb9f513b939a0df57a4e10c.1920x1080.jpg

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten

If anyone is a Tower Defense fan I highly recommend Defenders Quest: Valley of the Forgotten. It has some interesting RPG mechanics such as instead of towers you have party members which level up and have skill trees. The game also has a good sense of humor. I'm currently in the new game+ mode with 30+ hours played and I'm still having a blast.

Vlad

The more stupid meta things steam piles on, the worse it gets. Last year it was card talk, now its card and team talk, etcpp.

Yeah, it's one of those things that's neat at first, but you quickly realize there's really no point to all of it. It'd be different if the free game pool was larger, but it really doesn't seem worth it.

Honestly, it'd be nice to see future Steam sales just have a thread dedicated to the metagame stuff, and one dedicated to the deals, game recommendations, and so on.

If anyone is a Tower Defense fan I highly recommend Defenders Quest: Valley of the Forgotten. It has some interesting RPG mechanics such as instead of towers you have party members which level up and have skill trees. The game also has a good sense of humor. I'm currently in the new game+ mode with 30+ hours played and I'm still having a blast.

Defenders Quest

I really enjoyed this one as well

Toma

Yeah, it's one of those things that's neat at first, but you quickly realize there's really no point to all of it. It'd be different if the free game pool was larger, but it really doesn't seem worth it.

Honestly, it'd be nice to see future Steam sales just have a thread dedicated to the metagame stuff, and one dedicated to the deals, game recommendations, and so on.

Well, I guess this thread sort of fills that purpose rather nicely. We dont feature big publisher games here, but people usually get enough information on those everywhere anywhere.

Vlad

Well, I guess this thread sort of fills that purpose rather nicely. We dont feature big publisher games here, but people usually get enough information on those everywhere anywhere.

True, but it's not "official". I still see the occasional poor soul asking the general opinion on a game only to have it get completely drowned out by people talking teams and badges.

Strange that Binding of Isaac isn't on sale, either. I guess with Rebirth coming out relatively soon, he might be essentially telling people "just wait for the remake".

I know its been around for a bit, but I've been mainly playing Tales of Maj 'Eyal ever since I won it in a modbot drawing a few months ago. Steam says...yikes 569 hrs played, but that includes a few stretches of forgetting to turn it off. 3.49 in Steam. free from the website, but donors get an extra class and a few other things. 1300+achievements, lots of races/classes to choose from. roguelike turn based. very cool check it out. the dev is very active and puts out new updates periodically with more classes and other refinements.

http://te4.org/download

FYI, if anyone was wondering, the amount of achievements that ToME has are not exaggerated. It's crazy and it's true.

The creator of ToME also refers to all players as "minions" in official announcements. He's awesome like that.

Toma

True, but it's not "official". I still see the occasional poor soul asking the general opinion on a game only to have it get completely drowned out by people talking teams and badges.

Strange that Binding of Isaac isn't on sale, either. I guess with Rebirth coming out relatively soon, he might be essentially telling people "just wait for the remake".

Not sure how much more official it can get, its listed in the Steam thread OP, its named "Steam Sale" thread,etc etc.

I am sure most people interested find their way here at some point. They might not all comment, but consideringthe thread reached 10k views within 1-2 days, it does its job I think.

Danj

Awesome thread, I have added some more things to my steam wishlist now. Probably also gonna pull the trigger on the blackwell bundle (yeah yeah yeah I know it's not a daily/flash but is it really gonna get cheaper than 75% off? no).

Vamphuntr

I'm trying to find if an Indie game is on sale but I forgot the name. Maybe you guys/gals can help me? It was an action RPG that looked like a black and white gameboy game where you gradually unlock more colors on the screen. It looked like Secret of Mana. People had mixed feeling about it but I would definitely try it if on sale.

Kumubou

Hmm, I thought this was one of those dumb "troll" games.

I might have to grab this one if that's not the case.
Oh, the game has some rather trollish moments (anyone who's ever gotten into the tower knows what I'm taking about), but if you were expecting something like I Wanna Be The Guy or Eryi's Action, it's not like that at all. It's random as all hell but it's a smartly designed game all the same, I recommend it.

Toma

I'm trying to find if an Indie game is on sale but I forgot the name. Maybe you guys/gals can help me? It was an action RPG that looked like a black and white gameboy game where you gradually unlock more colors on the screen. It looked like Secret of Mana. People had mixed feeling about it but I would definitely try it if on sale.

Two Brothers:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/259760/

I really liked what I played because of the imaginative world and mechanic design, but when I played it (before release) it was the most buggy game ever. I frequently needed to hack my savegame to position my character in movable terrain.

Kumubou

Evoland?

Toma

<3 Toma. Thanks

So bought.

Lovely game if you are brave enough to venture into its glitches.

Recent comment by the dev:
Hey guys!
Quick update on life. My moms treatment is continuing as planned so thanks a lot for all the emails asking how she is doing! She is fighting her best and I am hopeful. Thank you all for your kind words.

So sadly due to the poor nature of the MMF2 engine I used to craft Two Brothers there are a variety of issues on certain hardware.

I've been programming the game from the ground up with a new engine and it plays like a dream. I will be releasing this update for free (obviously) as soon as possible.

I also changed somethings in the engine to make the game better after I read some criticism aside from the glitches in the initial launch. Enemies will be much smarter, the game will have a wide screen option without stretching and some graphic updates have been made from things that always bothered me with the animations. There is no longer the Z sorting issues so no one will stand on anyone else... so that's another fix...

I'm sorry I disappeared! More updates coming soon. I'll also post a trailer that someone cut of the new version and release info next month.

The Linux and Mac versions will come along with this update. Hopefully only a few more weeks til I put this up!

For the tech minded up of you here are some details of what we did. We reprogrammed the engine from the ground up in Unity and imported the maps. So besides remaking the cut-scenes and the engine it wasn't TOO much work so it's been a very realistic task.

<3 - Brian

So I guess there might be a new version coming soon, nice to hear.

MADGAME

I am always curious about which games people didnt know about or werent interested in before. What were your picks?

Well for me it would be most of them. A few I was aware of but to be honest, I don't do a deep-dive searching for Indie gems because I am not fond of Steam's search presentation and results.

Well for me it would be most of them. A few I was aware of but to be honest, I don't do a deep-dive searching for Indie gems because I am not fond of Steam's search presentation and results.
Well to be honest, you're not going to find the interesting indies by simply searching on Steam. Like you said, it doesn't have the best search system. Pretty much any cool under-the-radar indie/hidden gems I've found thanks to the Indie threads, r/Indiegaming, Screenshot Saturday, RockPaperShotgun, TIGForum

Toma

Well to be honest, you're not going to find the interesting indies by simply searching on Steam. Like you said, it doesn't have the best search system. Pretty much any cool under-the-indie/hidden gem I've found thanks to the Indie threads, r/Indiegaming, Screenshot Saturday, RockPaperShotgun, TIGForum

We are deeper than just Indie here, we have "under-the-indie" gems in this thread, folks ;)

elyetis

Acquire games!
zqVSdfDzppDG.png
At that price One way heroics is a steal ( even at full price.. ), my current play time on it is 43h, and I still didn't finish the game on the third difficulty with 7 classes out of 8, and none on the last one.
Let's not even speak about then doing it on those difficulty in maniac mod...

What's the verdict on The Last Tinker: City of Colors? It's 50% off, but I think its quite a recent game and looks like its got a great art style, but I've not heard anything about it.

Toma

What's the verdict on The Last Tinker: City of Colors? It's 50% off, but I think its quite a recent game and looks like its got a great art style, but I've not heard anything about it.

Someone in the indie thread liked it, reminiscent of classic 3D jump&runs apparently.

Burt

Ugh, this thread just reminded me of how I missed Underrail being on sale last time around, and now for some reason it's not on sale this time.

BOOOOO

Also, picked up Savant and One Way Heroics, so thanks for that.

Top Bottom