• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

FEAR is the game that never ends. You can navigate these cubicles and kill, but you'll always be here. It's kinda meta in a Stanley Parable sort.

tmarg

less about the team and more about a IP that is one of the best selling IPs ever released.

I'm not convinced the IP is all that valuable. Everyone compares it to Mario, but Mario has dozens of instantly recognizable characters, all of whom can appear in their own games, fight each other, race go carts, etc.

Minecraft may have a similar mind share, but converting that into something you can sell to people who already own the game would be extremely difficult by comparison.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Not sure if I was literally trolled by a SteamGAFfer some days ago or I just became aware of one very sad and incredibly concerning family situation... Too odd to believe. I'm just happy for the printscreen & save function, will keep an eye out. Stay true, GAF.

On topic, I'm not someone who goes after achievements and all that but I had to share this one I got some days ago in Age of Empires II HD:

Qr2MoKm.png

Winning a battle with the less casualties possible is great!

I converted many poor villagers who were slaves by my own enemy and could eventually die by the hand of some blood thirsty knights or by some siege weapons of mine as an casualty of war. Instead, by saving them I gave them a new home who does not kill "low" unities as the game suggests to increase my military numbers.

Now I'm on my way to go try and get twice that number (1000). :)

whoa - it must've been really difficult to get that achievement ... good job, man!!! :)

aaaaand since apparently you're not willing to let this thing go (even though we talked about that two weeks ago already) - you leave me no other choice but to also reply somewhat publicly (which I REALLY didn't want to do since if there's one thing steamgaf doesn't need any more of - it's more drama) ... so, for all of you curious/nosy enough - he's talking about me ... there you go - saved you some detective work :). Anyhow, back to Monk - all of what I told you was true. I literally have no reason to lie to you (or anyone else, for that matter) about my financial and/or family situation. Good to know you've taken screenshots of the entire conversation - it'll be easier for you to compare notes (which is apparently the reason why you've taken those screenshots in the first place) with other people I've been talking to (let me know if you need a list - I'd be more than happy to provide one). What you didn't even bother to ask about (before spoiler-dumping that thing above), though is - how come I'm able to purchase those games if my situation is so bad. Well, if you really must know (and, from what I see - you really must), literally 2 days after our conversation took place - I got a bit of financial help from a very good friend of mine and I also got paid (not much) for a job I did about 2 months ago and I didn't really think I'd ever get paid for. Both of which helped me pay all the bills, buy food and also left me with some spare change ... and since games are pretty much the only thing I spend money on (and one of the very few things that still make me feel a little bit better) - I decided to use it to buy some games ... games, which I was also able to get much cheaper than the regular store prices, mind you. As for the Carmageddon I gifted you - I've gotten 2 spare copies with my kickstarter pledge. I've given one to Frost, and the other one to you. There you go - mystery solved .. can you finally let it go?!? And for future reference - if you repeatedly tell someone they can count on you and talk to you if they ever have any problems, don't just go taking screenshots of the stuff they tell you (pretty much in confidence), because that just makes you look like an asshole after the fact

Tellaerin

Half of all PC gamers wait for a game to go on sale before buying – report

well no wonder, duuuh ... and that number won't go any lower if they keep region-locking their games ;)
I know, I know - shush :p

It's funny how they seem to be treating this like some horrible problem.

I honestly believe that most of these people are making more on volume at sale time than they ever would at a higher price point. For $2.50-$5.00, I'm willing to gamble on an unknown. For ten times that? Not so much. And I think the people who feel that way outnumber the ones willing to impulse buy unknown games for $25-$50+ apiece by at least a factor of 10.

I can't decide if indie developers who complain about the "sale mentality" really think everyone would keep buying the same number of games even if there were no sales/prices were higher, or if they do realize that people would buy less games, but believe that "their baby" is special and people would pick it over all the others if they had to choose just one (potentially leading to a handful of big winners and a lot of losers in that space). In both cases, I think they'd be unhappy about the outcome if they ever did get their wish.

Ozium

Finally found something to spend GMG credit on and grabbed Sanic Racing Transfarmed for 5 dollas w/ credit..

EVERYBODY'S SUPER SANIC RACING TRY TO KEEP UR FEET RIGHT ON THE GROUND
WHEN YOU'RE SUPER SANIC RACING THERE'S NO TIME TO LOOK AROUND!!!!!

Finally found something to spend GMG credit on and grabbed Sanic Racing Transfarmed for 5 dollas w/ credit..

Its a playfire reward too, SO YOU GET 10 CENTS BACK!

iosefe

Well, since I'm here... I try to give a spin to my karma so that I can go on with my shmup thanks to spiritual strength!

hot diggity damn, thats quite a haul

are we making a group to play tonight?

kiyomi

^ We should do that, jade-monkey-san.

but what if i already have it

Tellaerin

You chose... wisely.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, I thought State of Decay might grow on me, but no. It's pretty much all the things I wouldn't want in a Dead Rising game. And I didn't find the zombie combat to be even slightly fun (especially when juxtaposed with my current run of DR3).

Co-op would have helped, but nope. Off to the dump you go.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
FEAR is the game that never ends. You can navigate these cubicles and kill, but you'll always be here. It's kinda meta in a Stanley Parable sort.
Man, that would have been a wet dream for me. I first beat it in 3 days and was left wanting more.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
God no, Fear 2 is much better than 3.

The first one is definitely the best though.

I must admit, as much as I love FEAR 2 I do wonder how it would have been had we got the version seen in the E3 demo a few years before release (basically uses FEAR 1s gore/ragdolls etc):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Nk_ms9VYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxsonSEq5fE

FUN FACT! (read this on the Betrayer forum from Craig Hubbard): There were initially going to be two FEAR 2 games, one for PC (which Craig and the FEAR 1 team would work on) and one specifically for consoles. Basically due to whatever events occurred the specific PC one got canned and they were moved on to help finish the console FEAR 2 which became the only one available for all platforms.

Amzin

FEAR 2 is nowhere near being the weakest, that's crazy talk man!. It's just as good as 1 in its own way IMO and much better than the Perseus Mandate expansion pack. Extraction Point is ok but storywise it's completely ignored in FEAR 2. FEAR 2s biggest problem is the level design doesn't let the AI shine but it's combat is still meaty and satisfying. It's got great mech action too and it does it better than FEAR 3 as well. Great weapons, combat, pacing, mechs and environments. Also, that ending.

FEAR 3 isn't even a FEAR game, it doesn't belong as a part of the franchise. It's far too disjointed and shoehorned into the series to make sense (and that's basically what it was). The story and levels skip around with no real connection. It's mechs are pisspoor compared to FEAR 2. Overall, for me at least, it just isn't as good combat wise as the Monolith FEAR games. Monolith know how to design encounters. FEAR 3's not a bad shooter though, it's still a fun game and I would say it's a funtime, but nowhere near the games that the first two are.

FEAR 2 is the better single player game for sure, but I found FEAR 3 to be more fun because of the ridiculous co-op. I enjoyed all 3 although I don't think I would have finished FEAR 3 ever if it hadn't been for the co-op

Arthea

It's funny how they seem to be treating this like some horrible problem.

I honestly believe that most of these people are making more on volume at sale time than they ever would at a higher price point. For $2.50-$5.00, I'm willing to gamble on an unknown. For ten times that? Not so much. And I'm sure you'll find more than nine other people who feel the same way if you look.

I can't decide if indie developers who complain about the "sale mentality" really think everyone would keep buying the same number of games even if there were no sales/prices were higher, or if they do realize that people would buy less games, but believe that "their baby" is special and people would pick it over all the others if they had to choose just one (potentially leading to a handful of big winners and a lot of losers in that space). In both cases, I think they'd be unhappy about the outcome if they ever did get their wish.

you are spot on, I spend more on games when I follow sales than when I don't, that's simple fact of life, we like sales, cheap and free stuff. We are humans after all, at least some of us, cats like free stuff too as far as I know.
Indies have harder time, as their income probably isn't that much to being with, but then again, you are right about that too.

Knurek

Oh god, please help me...
I've been using PCs of various sorts ever since the 286/Hercules days, and it still took me 2 freaking days to update my in-law's Win 8 laptop, so that I can install 8.1 there and have it boot to freaking desktop.
2 freaking days spent on solving various Windows Update SNAFUs and wishing murder on people who designed this festering piece of crap UI.
Seriously, Win 8 is an unredeemable piece of shite that can and should burn in hell.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
FEAR 2 is the better single player game for sure, but I found FEAR 3 to be more fun because of the ridiculous co-op. I enjoyed all 3 although I don't think I would have finished FEAR 3 ever if it hadn't been for the co-op

FEAR 3's coop is fun for sure :) Paxton Fettel is a bloody god in that game, great character to play as.

Arthea

Oh god, please help me...
I've been using PCs of various sorts ever since the 286/Hercules days, and it still took me 2 freaking days to update my in-law's Win 8 laptop, so that I can install 8.1 there and have it boot to freaking desktop.
2 freaking days spent on solving various Windows Update SNAFUs and wishing murder on people who designed this festering piece of crap UI.
Seriously, Win 8 is an unredeemable piece of shite that can and should burn in hell.

you sound a lot like me after moving to win 8.
need a hug?

Hinomura

That's a lot of games. Nice!
hot diggity damn, thats quite a haul
oh my O_O look at all those games!!!! :) awesome!!

Thanks! ^___^

Go on with your shmup? Are you making one?

Yep... it's a game inspired to PC Engine / Megadrive / etc.. shmups.

I'm developing it veeeery slowly since it's not my main work.
By the way, if you're interested in trying a one level demo please let me know via PM!

Grief.exe

Try the Dirty Bomb beta, it's amazing

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys and 4 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Grief.exe, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise (Origin) -- MB-0738EB60637D3677 - Taken by PrematureQuiche
Mirrors Edge -- MB-41FF2EC43D369AAF - Taken by danhese007
Dead Space -- MB-35071B38E99D3A87
Dirty Bomb #2 -- MB-4A40D9559CE26BBC - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
Dirty Bomb #3 -- MB-030233CC47DC3A99 - Taken by jediyoshi
vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-AC57D2180C7126F4 - Taken by Volimar
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-ACA811093BFD0CB2
Beatbuddy Tale of the Guardians -- MB-4E9D11EF9E70C945 - Taken by Purkake4
Thief Gold -- MB-54BC560CF2D2CE72
Medal of Honor -- MB-EB1CD70B46B07BB7 - Taken by hepburn3d
vRvbDCu.png
Mirrors Edge (Origin) -- MB-9BC25A21B357CE36
Galactic Civiliztions II -- MB-7BA876C3EBCC44B7 - Taken by animlboogy
Mini Ninjas -- MB-047D776065833946 - Taken by prudislav
Fez -- MB-E63E8342DC0535C9 - Taken by nja
Dead Island Epidemic -- MB-59698F80E28B4A30 - Taken by Crentist the Dentist
Just Cause 1 -- MB-7BB91FB521343A37 - Taken by jfredsilva

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Now, it's working again. Thank god. Jesus, my heart D:

I would actually love for jshackles to be given 2BYes.

I've had a few people report issues like yours this morning where it suddenly stops working then after restarting their browser it works again. I'm pretty certain it's a Chrome / Windows issue, most likely due to an update. Also I would say that for $2B I would be more than happy to make Enhanced GFWL.
:(

it doesn't work for me. none of my old xtensions work

That's weird - I've been testing Enhanced Steam with the 64 bit dev builds of Chrome for the last few months and haven't run into any issues so far. I tested it just now in the "stable" 64 bit Windows build of Chrome and all appears to be working normally. Do you have the most recent version of Enhanced Steam? Also you can try these directions.

Thanks for the info. Nabbed it with credit.

I never liked kart racers, but I guess if any game can make me appreciate them, its this.

Strange that everything is 75% off except the Metal Sonic DLC for Sonic Transformed. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom