• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

You guys have any podcasts you like to listen to? PC gaming focused, gaming in general or even something completely else (like history). Have one of those days tomorrow where having something to listen to would be great. Listened to Bombcast but I wasn't such a big fan.

I occasionally listen to the Nerdist. I don't like the host/s that much, but sometimes there are good guests. Steam favorite scorcese ronon was there once. Ken Levine as well, if you want something game related.

derExperte

You guys have any podcasts you like to listen to? PC gaming focused, gaming in general or even something completely else (like history). Have one of those days tomorrow where having something to listen to would be great. Listened to Bombcast but I wasn't such a big fan.

Idle Thumbs, Hardcore History, Three Moves Ahead (a must for fans of turn based and big strategy games), Player One, /Filmcast, Gamers with Jobs are on my list. Plus Bombcast. Was much more years but the quality dropped a lot in general and I haven't found newer casts to listen to.

liezryou

If you're buying a digital code, the seller can flat out not send it, and they won't get you your money back because they don't officially support the sale of digital goods.

Uhh this is bullshit, paypal ALWAYS, 100% of the time sides with the buyer in the case of digital goods (unless the buyer refuses to cooperate ofc). Paypal seller protection does NOT apply to digital goods. In ambiguous cases, paypal always sides with the buyer anyway.

Are you insulting me? Maybe I am bad at games. I should expect most people to disregard much of what I say, seeing how often I'm told I'm wrong or a liar in this thread. :(

Oh, no. Not at all. Just stating that I didn't think it was that difficult if it was the section in LoS that I recall. Wasn't meant to be a commentary on your gaming skills. :)

This was the part from the first LoS (non-dlc) that came to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ONOCX5H0A

Asgaro

Just going to say that everyone needs to buy Shadow warrior for $8.

vgddc.gif

derExperte

Half of all PC gamers wait for a game to go on sale before buying – report

well no wonder, duuuh ... and that number won't go any lower if they keep region-locking their games ;)
I know, I know - shush :p

Another interesting question to ask those folks would have been whether they have backlogs now or buy games that they wouldn't otherwise just because it was cheap. I feel sales just lead to the money being spread out over a larger surface area of developers. If sales didn't exist, I'd have a far smaller library and a far fewer number of people I had paid for their work. But then SteamGAF is probably not representative of anything so this kind of data would be interesting to find out over a larger group.

vg260

Uhh this is bullshit, paypal ALWAYS, 100% of the time sides with the buyer in the case of digital goods (unless the buyer refuses to cooperate ofc). Paypal seller protection does NOT apply to digital goods. In ambiguous cases, paypal always sides with the buyer anyway.

Not for me when I got scammed. They don't go out of their way to shut down digital code sales, but unless it's a classified format, they can just point to their policy that it wasn't a covered auction and not do anything, just like they did with me.

rtcn63

Oh, no. Not at all. Just stating that I didn't think it was that difficult if it was the section in LoS that I recall. Wasn't meant to be a commentary on your gaming skills. :)

This was the part from the first LoS (non-dlc) that came to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ONOCX5H0A

That may be it. I recall a jump or traversing a ledge causing me to insta-die every time. Could be one of those situations where if I were to pick it up at that spot, I'll be able to pass it right away. Unless it's bugged for me.

Back on topic, I blame:

5fc86b39bf97112123922d349f227e1ebf26ae70a16f19979eb962554d3ccbf3.jpg

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Another interesting question to ask those folks would have been whether they have backlogs now or buy games that they wouldn't otherwise just because it was cheap. I feel sales just lead to the money being spread out over a larger surface area of developers. If sales didn't exist, I'd have a far smaller library and a far fewer number of people I had paid for their work. But then SteamGAF is probably not representative of anything so this kind of data would be interesting to find out over a larger group.

I buy most of my games from traders (as probably most of us here) - I won't deny that ... but the thing is - if those games weren't cheaper (or on sale) - I wouldn't have bought them AT ALL ... and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's in that situation. So, in my case, the devs/publishers really only have 2 choices: either get some of my money ... or none of it

played sonic 4 episode 1 , is terrible :(

I disagree.

well no wonder, duuuh ... and that number won't go any lower if they keep region-locking their games ;)

I know, right? I know the price is going to go lower, and in most cases, it doesn't take too long these days... with mother russia on the table, it just speeds up the process because I get sale like prices on games and buy them if the price is right instead of waiting for the publisher to eventually discount it in the NA store.

right based on 6,255 americans :-D
I didnt even knew there was PC gamers in america - i thought its all Xbox, dew and doritos in america

I'm offended.

Of course I am waiting for sales. But not for every game, that's an important distinction I'm not sure the survery considered.

I have a tough time paying more than $40 for anything.
The Evil Within is tops on my list at the moment and I can't do it... I want it, but I don't want to pay more than $40...
Same with W_D -- I want it, but I want the DDE and I just cannot bring myself to pay $70 for a game.

I only play it in the first Mono mode. Can't be bothered with the match 3 game, when all I want to do is enjoy a good song and dodge grey bricks.

Looks like I'm not the only one :p

Audiosurf 2 is really early and shouldn't be bought...but I was happy to see a focus on the mono modes.

Yeah. That's what I did...but the tutorials all mention stacking colours and shit. (Not to mention most of the achievements do too.)

I've played Audiosurf 1 for about 30 hours and touched the color matching modes maybe twice.

Nzyme32

right based on 6,255 americans :-D
I didnt even knew there was PC gamers in america - i thought its all Xbox, dew and doritos in america

Apparently North America has the second highest amount of game downloads, indicative of Steam usage at least. They are only second to Europe
EUROPE STRONG!!
Still that doesn't really convert back to numbers though. Maybe Europe has groups that like to burn through games very often and try lots of games, where as other countries/continents play only a selection of games consistently and thus don't download as much...

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

That may be it. I recall a jump or traversing a ledge causing me to insta-die every time. Could be one of those situations where if I were to pick it up at that spot, I'll be able to pass it right away. Unless it's bugged for me.

This one, on the other hand... this took a bit of time and induced a fair amount of rage before I managed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGmA8CNciW0

But there's not really any penalty for doing it without dying on a normal run and the checkpoints aren't bad at all.

Dr Dogg

Here's food for thought, if games didn't go on sale as frequently or at a the deep discounts they get would those figures above about PC gamers be the same? Would that also impact the revenue generated by all digital store fronts negatively or positively as a result? To be fair they're pretty rhetorical questions to which the answers have been made public by Valve and Publishers/Developers themselves in countless examples over the years.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
LoS or LoS2?

If he's talking about LoS, I don't remember it being bad at all. There was one spot that was a bit difficult in the 1st DLC, but nothing show stopping.

Then again, I laugh at people who bitch about the climbing section of Hades in the original GoW.
You can't seriously say the horizontal rotating beams in the Hades level of GoW1 were a good thing. The terrible camera makes sure that it becomes frustrating pretty soon, especially if you're looking to open all chests. Climbing the towers wasn't too hard for me, however. Here's hoping the sequel is better, because the first game frustrated me and became very annoying at times.

Vlad

This reminds me of the business who set up a Groupon or LivingSocial deal and then complained that people were actually coming in and using the deals that they created in the first place.

And yes, I know that this isn't anybody complaining per se, but it certainly isn't a surprise. Between the biannual gigantic Steam sales and Humble Bundle's output alone, most of the games I tend to be interested in go on sale at least once a year. All it takes is a little patience to get around 75% off of whatever you might want. That's not even considering the other bundle sites, GOG, and anything else I'm overlooking.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I know, right? I know the price is going to go lower, and in most cases, it doesn't take too long these days... with mother russia on the table, it just speeds up the process because I get sale like prices on games and buy them if the price is right instead of waiting for the publisher to eventually discount it in the NA store.

I have a tough time paying more than $40 for anything.
The Evil Within is tops on my list at the moment and I can't do it... I want it, but I don't want to pay more than $40...
Same with W_D -- I want it, but I want the DDE and I just cannot bring myself to pay $70 for a game.

yeah - same here ... I just can't force myself to pull the trigger on ANYTHING above $25 (and even those are rare cases) ... and let's face it - most (if not all) of those games WILL get down to $25 sooner or later anyway (either via base price drop or sales), so, they're just delaying my purchase for no reason (ok, ok, I know - they're counting on people being super-impatient and buying those games anyway, for full price) ... in fact - I'm actually less inclined to buy a game after a year since it's been out because of stuff like dead multiplayer (but have you seen Titanfall?) or maybe just poor reviews ... or some other problems with the game. So it might as well just go from "I'll buy it when it's 50-75% off" to "meh, not worth it"

Sendou

Welcome to night vale, it's not gaming relatd, it's like twilight zone stories ocurring in a small town called Night Vale.

I occasionally listen to the Nerdist. I don't like the host/s that much, but sometimes there are good guests. Steam favorite scorcese ronon was there once. Ken Levine as well, if you want something game related.

Idle Thumbs, Hardcore History, Three Moves Ahead (a must for fans of turn based and big strategy games), Player One, /Filmcast, Gamers with Jobs are on my list. Plus Bombcast. Was much more years but the quality dropped a lot in general and I haven't found newer casts to listen to.

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated. I should have something to listen to tomorrow :)

Chariot

state of decay is great although i'm bad at the management stuff, but i like exploring a big town avoiding/killing zombies
It's the other way around for me. I love to hear about the management, but I would've want to concentrate on managing instead of running around myself - much like the flashgame 'Rebuild'. Would be nice to have something like that.

Here's food for thought, if games didn't go on sale as frequently or at a the deep discounts they get would those figures above about PC gamers be the same? Would that also impact the revenue generated by all digital store fronts negatively or positively as a result? To be fair they're pretty rhetorical questions to which the answers have been made public by Valve and Publishers/Developers themselves in countless examples over the years.
For me it would be far less. I used to buy cheap old games for 5~10 euro, maybe 20 if it were really interesting and most of the time I would get games from videogame magazines that always had a fullversion game on a DVD. I first became hooked to buying games cheap and comfortable on steam and then even went upgrade my PC due me playing more and thus was eventually able to actually play and buy games day one. Steam increased both my interest in buying cheap discounted games and new released games.

Now that I think of, I used to read a lot of books. Steam made me mere toy

Anteater

It's the other way around for me. I love to hear about the management, but I would've want to concentrate on managing instead of running around myself - much like the flashgame 'Rebuild'. Would be nice to have something like that.

too bad it's not multiplayer, I'd do all the running around :p

Dr Dogg

For me it would be far less. I used to buy cheap old games for 5~10 euro, maybe 20 if it were really interesting and most of the time I would get games from videogame magazines that always had a fullversion game on a DVD. I first became hooked to buying games cheap and comfortable on steam and then even went upgrade my PC due me playing more and thus was eventually able to actually play and buy games day one.

Now that I think of, I used to read a lot of books. Steam made me mere toy

And that's pretty much how I think a lot of folks in here see it too. It's how we all perceive value at the end of they day and that does differ greatly from person to person with other such factors as budgets and enjoyment to be gained from titles we buy. I have no qualms paying full price for a game I know I'm going to play the moment it comes out or one I've heard some really good things about from friends or you peeps in here but more often than not it's a discount that sways my decision ultimately.

But there's other such things in life I only buy when they're discounted. I don't think I've ever payed full price for a sofa or furniture let alone on white or electrical goods. Granted these are of much higher value but as game prices are going up so are the hunt for the best deals and I know I'm not alone in this. If I have to sit out a game I'm semi sort of wanting to play because I think it costs too much then so be it.

Hugstable

Banned
Someone has to buy them at full price, and I'm glad they do, or nobody would make games anymore.

Haha I tend to buy games that I really want to play right then and there for full price, whiles games I'm not super interested in but still want I'll wait for sales. I'm one of the few that got suckered into paying 60$ for Rage.... NEVER AGAIN!

You can't seriously say the horizontal rotating beams in the Hades level of GoW1 were a good thing. The terrible camera makes sure that it becomes frustrating pretty soon, especially if you're looking to open all chests. Climbing the towers wasn't too hard for me, however. Here's hoping the sequel is better, because the first game frustrated me and became very annoying at times.

I never said they were excellent level design or anything. Just that I never had problems like so many people seem to bitch about there. Once or twice on one of my many playthroughs, I may have gotten knocked off a few times, but it was never a rage inducing focal point for my hatred -- and that seems to be against the "norm".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK2mgo9IF1o#t=203

That's what people normally bitch about. And I never thought it was all that bad if you're patient and wait for a proper opening and wait in the safe spots (I think the video may do a good job of showing how to do these the "right" way).

yeah - same here ... I just can't force myself to pull the trigger on ANYTHING above $25 (and even those are rare cases) ... and let's face it - most (if not all) of those games WILL get down to $25 sooner or later anyway (either via base price drop or sales), so, they're just delaying my purchase for no reason (ok, ok, I know - they're counting on people being super-impatient and buying those games anyway, for full price) ... in fact - I'm actually less inclined to buy a game after a year since it's been out because of stuff like dead multiplayer (but have you seen Titanfall?) or maybe just poor reviews ... or some other problems with the game. So it might as well just go from "I'll buy it when it's 50-75% off" to "meh, not worth it"

Exactly.
I made an exception for Dark Souls 2 because I was such a huge fan of the series that I wanted to play it immediately at that point and time and I think I got it for $48 or less. I certainly got my money's worth out of that one.
But with Ubi games where I don't even get actual steam achievements and the Steam versions never go on sale (because that's the one version most people actually want!) I'm not willing to pay their extortion fees. I'm also not willing with a new unproven franchise to take a chance on it for more than $40, even if it looks fucking amazing. There are plenty of "bigger" name games I took risks with for <$30... but $40+? No. Nope. Can not deal with it.

Dangerous question, but is Abyss Odyssey worth 10 bucks? I remember a big hub-bub about it when it launched, but it died out quick.

Worth is such a relative term.
As above, Dark Souls 2 was more than worth it for me at $48 or whatever. But will it be so for everyone else? That's highly dependent on a lot of other factors.
That said, it's probably worth $10 if you think it looks interesting. The devs were giving it good support... but I haven't gone back to it lately. I should boot that up and clean up the rest of the achievements sometime soon, now that I think about it.

--

RANDOM: My soul dies a little more every time I see "<STEAM USER> now owns Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons" in my activity feed. :(

The_Monk

Not sure if I was literally trolled by a SteamGAFfer some days ago or I just became aware of one very sad and incredibly concerning family situation... Too odd to believe. I'm just happy for the printscreen & save function, will keep an eye out. Stay true, GAF.

On topic, I'm not someone who goes after achievements and all that but I had to share this one I got some days ago in Age of Empires II HD:

Qr2MoKm.png

Winning a battle with the less casualties possible is great!

I converted many poor villagers who were slaves by my own enemy and could eventually die by the hand of some blood thirsty knights or by some siege weapons of mine as an casualty of war. Instead, by saving them I gave them a new home who does not kill "low" unities as the game suggests to increase my military numbers.

Now I'm on my way to go try and get twice that number (1000). :)

Groupees Build a Green light Bundle 10.
Preordered it.

Seeing the videos from the first few titles : "Meh... 1.5$ wasted"
Seeing Video from SinaRun2,Domestig Dog,Sometimes,Phoenix Force and Crunch Time : "1.5$ well spent"

Worth is such a relative term.
As above, Dark Souls 2 was more than worth it for me at $48 or whatever. But will it be so for everyone else? That's highly dependent on a lot of other factors.
That said, it's probably worth $10 if you think it looks interesting. The devs were giving it good support... but I haven't gone back to it lately. I should boot that up and clean up the rest of the achievements sometime soon, now that I think about it.

Fair enough, should just ask if the game sucks or not lol. Yeah, it sounded cool, so i may jump on it.

gngf123

Someone has to buy them at full price, and I'm glad they do, or nobody would make games anymore.
Yeah.

I buy some games full price, but not many. Mostly Shmups and other arcade style games, because I feel that they need to be supported.

The rest I get on sale/bundle.

derExperte

That part wasn't an issue for me. But then I had to drop down the difficulty to easy for the end boss. Couldn't do it. Same happened in GoW2 during that sequence right before the end where you run down this long circular walkway and have to stop to fight enemies every few meters. Thankfully 3 didn't have any of those difficulty spikes (and I'm still waiting for Ascension to hit PS+ which probably won't ever happen).

The only PC games I've ever bought day one was the half life 2 bundle, Titanfall (got it for $37 thanks to Mexico and i LOVED MW2 so i thought it would be amazing. It was, for like the first 2 days), and thanks to the fine folks in Russia I have the Witcher 3 preordered for like $17.

But other than that, i got myself a big ass backlog that isn't going to play itself. I can wait out a game till it's at or below the $10 impulse level.

I buy most of my games from traders (as probably most of us here) - I won't deny that ... but the thing is - if those games weren't cheaper (or on sale) - I wouldn't have bought them AT ALL ... and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's in that situation. So, in my case, the devs/publishers really only have 2 choices: either get some of my money ... or none of it

dhMeAzK.gif

I couldn't agree more. If they stop the Russian train, I'm getting off at the next stop.

Groupees Build a Green light Bundle 10.
Preordered it.

Seeing the videos from the first few titles : "Meh... 1.5$ wasted"
Seeing Video from SinaRun2,Domestig Dog,Sometimes,Phoenix Force and Crunch Time : "1.5$ well spent"

Weird.
I got the preorder bundle but three of the games aren't available on my profile.

maty

I never said they were excellent level design or anything. Just that I never had problems like so many people seem to bitch about there. Once or twice on one of my many playthroughs, I may have gotten knocked off a few times, but it was never a rage inducing focal point for my hatred -- and that seems to be against the "norm".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK2mgo9IF1o#t=203

That's what people normally bitch about. And I never thought it was all that bad if you're patient and wait for a proper opening and wait in the safe spots (I think the video may do a good job of showing how to do these the "right" way).

I also never found that part that difficult. Didn't have much problems when I played it on PS2 and got the trophy in my first try in the HD collection.

It's the same with the Water Temple in OoT, it might be bothersome to change your boots every minute but difficult it is not.

Maybe because I grew up playing TMNT on the NES, that was hard xD

Stuff of nightmares
tmnt-water-level.jpg

Nete

Maybe because I grew up playing TMNT on the NES, that was hard xD

Stuff of nightmares
tmnt-water-level.jpg

thehorror.gif

That was the first game I owned (PC version), Christmas gift when I was 6 or 7. I don't know how the hell I didn't quit playing games after those aquatic levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom