• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

Haven't played any of the FEAR games, is the bundle worth it? How well have the games held up?

F.E.A.R. is the best
F.E.A.R. Expansion packs are just more of the first game but not on par, still good though
F.E.A.R. 3 is a bit better than 2 but still pales in comparison to 1, co-op has a very nice feature to dictate the ending though
F.E.A.R. 2 is the weakest

maty

The dam was the worst. :( I only got through it once in my life and died shortly after.

thehorror.gif

That was the first game I owned (PC version), Christmas gift when I was 6 or 7. I don't know how the hell I didn't quit playing games after those aquatic levels.

Lol so many of us traumatized by this game

I might one day play it again and see if my gaming skills improved or if TMNT is made by the devil.

I jumped to PC to purposefully be a cheap ass when buying games.

I would never buy any 60€ Game anymore. I really dont get it. Nowadays console-gamers are paying 60€+30€ for a seasonpass. 90€ at release. I know a lot of people who did it when B2 came out.

For PC you could get the game thanks to GMG for about 30-35€, almost half of the normal price (thanks to the weak dollar of course).

Killcaustic68

Neo Member
First one is still a masterpiece that everyone should play.
The rest, less so.
(Too much consolification)

F.E.A.R. is the best
F.E.A.R. Expansion packs are just more of the first game but not on par, still good though
F.E.A.R. 3 is a bit better than 2 but still pales in comparison to 1, co-op has a very nice feature to dictate the ending though

Thanks. Looks like I'm definitely going to pick it up now and try it out.

There is almost no reason to pay full price anymore. Even pre-release there are deals and that's even if you want to avoid trading for RU prices. Too many loopholes to exploit.

Not really loopholes I would say. Since GMG and Amazon.com buy the keys directly from the publishers, the publishers can give a bigger discount, since they dont have to pay 30% to Steam.

Deitus

For me it was kind of an accidental thing. I got a competent PC several years back because I had a job and I could afford it, and there were several games that were PC exclusive (or played better on the PC) that I couldn't run on my laptop. But I was still primarily a console gamer.

But after a bunch of Steam sales I found myself buying tons of games on Steam that I would have normally bought on console, because how could I say no to those deals. I was initially resistant to the idea of not owning physical discs for my games, but for 5 bucks on a game that normally runs for 40 on the console, it's hard to say no. I still play console games as well, but it's hard to justify buying a game on a console if a PC version is available, because I can almost always get it much cheaper, and it will run better too.

That's why I laugh about the whole Xbone DRM situation and how people defended it as Microsoft trying to make digital downloads more enticing. You don't get people to make the switch to all digital by making physical ownership shitty. Just give people a good deal to offset the downsides of the loss of physical media, and most (but not all) of them will eventually choose digital all on their own.

kiyomi

I missed uber-cheap-cheapo Euro Truck Simulator 2 on HB because I am a tool. I know it's still cheap but.. just not cheap enough dang it.

First one is still a masterpiece that everyone should play.
The rest, less so.
(Too much consolification)

F.E.A.R. is the best

I haven't played F.E.A.R 2 or 3 because I disliked the first game so much. Granted, I played it on 360 and have extra incentive to hate it after playing through with a bunch of achievements in mind that it screwed me out of (much like my vendetta against condemned for not giving me the full 940 or whatever because it claims I missed a bird somewhere).

The one thing I remember the most about F.E.A.R was that the office sections seemed to go on and on and on and on and on and on and on for what seemed like FOREVER.

The one thing I recall about F.E.A.R. 3 is thinking it was going to be total trash and then finding out someone I knew on another forum was a QA tester for it... and he said he actually had a pretty good time with it, so this fits in line with what Mr. Orange says above.

I also never found that part that difficult. Didn't have much problems when I played it on PS2 and got the trophy in my first try in the HD collection.

It's the same with the Water Temple in OoT, it might be bothersome to change your boots every minute but difficult it is not.

Maybe because I grew up playing TMNT on the NES, that was hard xD

:RESPECT:
You're absolutely right.
Additionally, the one I keep thinking of was being surprised to see that people were having trouble in the Tule Tree in Guacamelee. Tree Tops, sure, but the required area to complete the game? Yeah, I was surprised.

This is part of the reason I turned to PC.
When PS4 and Xbone were announced and did nothing for me, I decided it was time to finally act on my "dream" of putting together a gaming PC that would handle a good part of my 500+ games on Steam. I started buying parts in Feburary or so after the reveals and ended up splurging and finishing gathering parts in November of last year.
Best decision ever... I wish I could play a couple of the console exclusives (I'd love to try Killer Instinct out to see if it really is possible that Double Helix made a good game, Bayonetta collection (1&2) because I thought the first one was pretty ace, and I know I'll want Bloodborne when it releases; but none of these are enough to make me spend hundreds on a single platform).

And I'm going to get to do all these things. *waggles black boxes*

Quiet you, no more spoilers. :p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
This is part of the reason I turned to PC.
When PS4 and Xbone were announced and did nothing for me, I decided it was time to finally act on my "dream" of putting together a gaming PC that would handle a good part of my 500+ games on Steam. I started buying parts in Feburary or so after the reveals and ended up splurging and finishing gathering parts in November of last year.
Best decision ever... I wish I could play a couple of the console exclusives (I'd love to try Killer Instinct out to see if it really is possible that Double Helix made a good game, Bayonetta collection (1&2) because I thought the first one was pretty ace, and I know I'll want Bloodborne when it releases; but none of these are enough to make me spend hundreds on a single platform).

And I'm going to get to do all these things. *waggles black boxes*

Turfster

I have been PC gaming since I emulated CGA on my Hercules adapter (348p, suck it 200p color peasants! =p) on a TURBO XT at a blazing 8 Megahertz.
I got my first console (PS2) in 2001.
Come at me ;)

Lomax

There is almost no reason to pay full price anymore. Even pre-release there are deals and that's even if you want to avoid trading for RU prices. Too many loopholes to exploit.

Yeah, and it's just such a different world of choices now too. I posted in the MKII thread yesterday, and I distinctly remember buying it for $70+tax when it came out 20 years ago, and I was fine with that. But now, MK9 on the PC is the only game I pre-ordered all of last year, and I paid $22.50 for it on GMG, and I could easily have regretted that purchase as it was under $10 within two months and under $5 in less than a year.

Honestly, I'd think the smarter companies would start releasing PC versions at a lower base price but not discounting so massively as fast. It's clearly not like the console world where 90% of your sales are in the first two months, PC games have a long window for purchases. But I think most developers still look at the AAA releases that sell ten times as much on console and think the PC market is limited and don't pay enough attention to the details.

Not really loopholes I would say. Since GMG and Amazon.com buy the keys directly from the publishers, the publishers can give a bigger discount, since they dont have to pay 30% to Steam.

By all accounts, the 30% cut is pretty universal. Other stores just choose to give away some of their part to the customer, like GMG's coupons or Humble giving 10% to charity. Related - http://lifehacker.com/steam-vs-everyone-else-who-really-has-the-best-gaming-1591920883

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I've been console only for the most part until like 3 years ago. PC gaming sure is nice since I get to play the better versions of games if they are on PC. :D

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Half of all PC gamers wait for a game to go on sale before buying – report

well no wonder, duuuh ... and that number won't go any lower if they keep region-locking their games ;)
I know, I know - shush :p

Sounds about right.

It's the same with the Water Temple in OoT, it might be bothersome to change your boots every minute but difficult it is not.

I'm so glad that they fixed it with OoT 3D, it's nowhere near as tedious. The Dark Link mid boss fight still needs work though.

So I just woke up and am seeing all this region locking talk, did something else happen last night besides DR3, USF4 and Fable Anniversary getting region locked?

Chariot

AAAAAAAAAHHHH *throws a desk against a chair that is standing on a donkey king*
I hate, when Nick can't skip animations. Sometimes I just want to interrupt the action Nick is doing because a horde of zombies in nawling on him. But nope, dying isn't enough to stop Nick from fiddling with the electricity. MURF!

too bad it's not multiplayer, I'd do all the running around :p
We know what to do, if it's enables multiplayer some day :p

Arthea

Half of all PC gamers wait for a game to go on sale before buying – report

well no wonder, duuuh ... and that number won't go any lower if they keep region-locking their games ;)
I know, I know - shush :p
That's hard to believe, actually, granted I used to buy many games at full price, but with amazing regional pricing policies of later years I buy less and less games full price, I still buy some cheaper games day one sometimes, if it's something I want to play badly, but expensive ones? Like 3 top this year, well... that's not true, 5 I think if I'm not forgetting any.
And this will be first time I'm not buying vanilla Civ too.
really really hard to believe.

edited: I just realized that article talks only about US, then it makes sense, more or less

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
F.E.A.R. is the best

FEAR 2 is nowhere near being the weakest, that's crazy talk man!. It's just as good as 1 in its own way IMO and much better than the Perseus Mandate expansion pack. Extraction Point is ok but storywise it's completely ignored in FEAR 2. FEAR 2s biggest problem is the level design doesn't let the AI shine but it's combat is still meaty and satisfying. It's got great mech action too and it does it better than FEAR 3 as well. Great weapons, combat, pacing, mechs and environments. Also, that ending.

FEAR 3 isn't even a FEAR game, it doesn't belong as a part of the franchise. It's far too disjointed and shoehorned into the series to make sense (and that's basically what it was). The story and levels skip around with no real connection. It's mechs are pisspoor compared to FEAR 2. Overall, for me at least, it just isn't as good combat wise as the Monolith FEAR games. Monolith know how to design encounters. FEAR 3's not a bad shooter though, it's still a fun game and I would say it's a funtime, but nowhere near the games that the first two are.

Anyone have Grim Dawn? I have about 650 hours currently in Path of Exile and it looks worth it for 16$ on Humble. Should I stick with POE and wait for it to be cheaper or hop on now for loots?

Tellaerin

Sort of PC related, but I think it's hilarious and sad that MS is apparently going to buy Mojang for ~$2 billion.

The good news is, we'll finally see Minecraft ported to C++.

The bad news is, it'll only run under Windows 8 (or whatever the newest version of Windows is when it's released) because reasons. (See: Halo 2/Vista.)

FloatOn

I've been reading up on The Evil Within. I'm now pretty damn hyped. Not sure if I'll pick it up on day one but it sounds promising.

On a somewhat related note, I wish a horror game would feature an evil clown as it's main villain. I basically want Steven King's IT in video game form.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I never said they were excellent level design or anything. Just that I never had problems like so many people seem to bitch about there. Once or twice on one of my many playthroughs, I may have gotten knocked off a few times, but it was never a rage inducing focal point for my hatred -- and that seems to be against the "norm".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK2mgo9IF1o#t=203

That's what people normally bitch about. And I never thought it was all that bad if you're patient and wait for a proper opening and wait in the safe spots (I think the video may do a good job of showing how to do these the "right" way).
Oh, I was complaining about the previous part, which frustrated me a lot. Reading your post again, you never said what I attributed to you, so I apologize for that.

That part wasn't an issue for me. But then I had to drop down the difficulty to easy for the end boss. Couldn't do it. Same happened in GoW2 during that sequence right before the end where you run down this long circular walkway and have to stop to fight enemies every few meters. Thankfully 3 didn't have any of those difficulty spikes (and I'm still waiting for Ascension to hit PS+ which probably won't ever happen).
I managed to beat the final boss in GoW1 on Normal a month or two ago (my first playthrough), but my family had to hear me cursing quite a lot while I did that. Such a difficult and annoying fight, and I was very pissed when it wasn't over despite
defeating Ares. Having to fight all those fake Kratos and then Ares again
was something I neither expected nor enjoyed at all. Sad to hear the sequel has those annoyances too.

Haven't played any of the FEAR games, is the bundle worth it? How well have the games held up?
The first game is in my top 3 ever, so I can't recommend it enough. The expansions are good too and very similar to it, but I tend to get bored whenever I try to replay them (twice I stopped during the middle of Extraction Point, and never replayed Perseus Mandate). The sequel is excellent but definitely feels like more of a console game, for several reasons (no manual saves, only one save slot) and its DLC is enjoyable but very difficult, at least for me (played it on the hardest difficulty). The third game is fun in co-op, but atrocious as a single player experience, especially if you are a fan of the franchise (or become one thanks to the previous games).

I'd grab it, and at least play through the first two games. The expansions of the first one are non-canon, so you won't lose anything plot-wise by skipping them.

Hinomura

Anyone have Grim Dawn? I have about 650 hours currently in Path of Exile and it looks worth it for 16$ on Humble. Should I stick with POE and wait for it to be cheaper or hop on now for loots?

It's a different, very enjoyable beast, but please mind it's still early access.
I had my fun looting and slashing several times with several characters builds along the various releases, now I'm waiting for the next big update to play it again.
For what it's worth, I had much more fun with Grim Dawn than with Titan Quest.
Recommended!

Hinomura

Well, since I'm here... I try to give a spin to my karma so that I can go on with my shmup thanks to spiritual strength!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 77 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Hinomura, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Canyon Capers Rio Fever (DLC) -- MB-076E645A95D16748 - Taken by provista. 2 entrants total.
Bionic Dues -- MB-5686F5F591A180FF - Taken by soapypanda. 2 entrants total.
3 Stars of Destiny -- MB-BDAE14AEEDC1BF84 - Taken by astrogamer. 1 entrants total.
FATE -- MB-5EEB7E9144231F69 - Taken by Accoun. 4 entrants total.
Unholy Heights -- MB-6EF9920C305B4C3C - Taken by Vastag. 5 entrants total.
Legends of Persia -- MB-460CC927DEBB3925 - Taken by Aitor. 3 entrants total.
Daikatana -- MB-5275E434324A7309 - Taken by Zeliard. 5 entrants total.
Stick it To The Man! -- MB-891ABEFE47244D1C - Taken by Crab Milk Mickey. 17 entrants total.
Full Bore -- MB-8262A98FACFEEFC1 - Taken by WisK. 7 entrants total.
Fist Puncher -- MB-64276DA7D7F1B48D - Taken by BadRamen. 2 entrants total.
Eschalon Book I -- MB-C9430FC2525FDE05 - Taken by Big_Al. 4 entrants total.
Hammerwatch -- MB-36F6224FC76363EA - Taken by Scipius. 7 entrants total.
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-75C3332C1156ABBA - Taken by TheLight. 2 entrants total.
One Way Heroics -- MB-C9942E9724434DBC
Nightmares from the Deep The Cursed Heart -- MB-BEF5A5C2C16E31C3 - Taken by Kifimbo. 1 entrants total.
Volgarr the Viking -- MB-CAD89F2E63AFE099 - Taken by Copons. 39 entrants total.
Solar 2 -- MB-7D10256DA3DF8EAA
Super House of Dead Ninjas -- MB-03FEE7C54AA5E0C2 - Taken by creamsugar. 12 entrants total.
Whispering Willows -- MB-92905A13A21D81F5 - Taken by deadflower81. 4 entrants total.

Ballpoint Universe Infinite #2 -- MB-6EBC9606350685B6
Anachronox -- MB-EC552C25EBC9F9E9 - Taken by Ingueferroque. 3 entrants total.
Knytt Underground -- MB-E3650A7CBACD26A8
Master Reboot -- MB-49BD89E71756D9A4 - Taken by freshVeggie. 6 entrants total.
8BitBoy -- MB-0FE3FC5E8046EEDB - Taken by Dambrosi. 6 entrants total.
LUFTRAUSERS -- MB-2CEC1E8297E17B4A - Taken by wetflame. 38 entrants total.
Betrayer -- MB-5BBF5AB281D87B57 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 13 entrants total.
Lilly Looking Through -- MB-B4AA23FDEEFCE7D0 - Taken by princegumby. 5 entrants total.
SteamWorld Dig -- MB-9E052687BCA42ABE - Taken by Seanspeed. 12 entrants total.
Mechanic Escape -- MB-96E7DB0C76F3B4D0 - Taken by lukiluk. 1 entrants total.
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae -- MB-6B9E04BC1BC4D0C0 - Taken by Kiru. 21 entrants total.
Stonerid -- MB-065385C44B04DCA6 - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 3 entrants total.
Ethan Meteor Hunter -- MB-A4356E2A4F098664 - Taken by danhese007. 1 entrants total.
Wooden Sen'SeY -- MB-FF9F9785F6AD90CD - Taken by WinterDemons. 3 entrants total.
LightFish -- MB-A431DF0660C2F659
Urban Trial Freestyle -- MB-80A9FB8FB220F424 - Taken by Saty. 5 entrants total.
Canyon Capers -- MB-C69E5D8033D48AD9
Hostile Waters Antaeus Rising -- MB-68A260AB66EC544D
Two Brothers -- MB-8C148DB934C02069 - Taken by natertots. 3 entrants total.
GIGANTIC ARMY -- MB-BE30F89213FB32CB - Taken by Darth Kupi. 4 entrants total.
Eschalon Book III -- MB-DA3DC2C10E7C4F05 - Taken by yo_soy_el_topo. 2 entrants total.
God Mode -- MB-D8EDB304B70F0205 - Taken by FauX. 7 entrants total.
Shiny The Firefly -- MB-7666E10DFB839468 - Taken by user237. 2 entrants total.
140 -- MB-4CF5DCE7DFBF18EE - Taken by MulderWasTaken. 1 entrants total.
Ys Origin -- MB-E9B3E4C61E370173 - Taken by lyrick. 25 entrants total.
Circuits -- MB-845DF6724CEDC31A - Taken by Woody Invincible. 3 entrants total.
Speedball 2 HD -- MB-2A498479A775B69F - Taken by Natty1. 8 entrants total.
Fester Mudd Curse of the Gold - Episode 1 -- MB-18CDAA5D200B6D23
Eschalon Book II -- MB-FCC25D5C509F4FA0 - Taken by Kathryn. 3 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-9BABF2BCD34559AD
Thief Gold -- MB-242C09D4E02FD0E3 - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
Freedom Fall -- MB-DCCBFFB8B50928F3 - Taken by dot. 4 entrants total.
Major Mayhem -- MB-1587DF91EB15470A - Taken by darkchewie. 2 entrants total.
One Finger Death Punch -- MB-34F07237D3D8C060 - Taken by pahamrick. 13 entrants total.
Ring Runner Flight of the Sages -- MB-85D74EA119D88AEB - Taken by Ezalc. 2 entrants total.
Hitman 2 Silent Assassin -- MB-B39B54BC41D24FB3 - Taken by Axass. 1 entrants total.
Hitman Codename 47 -- MB-5F7EE77D4115C677 - Taken by 73V3N. 1 entrants total.
Finding Teddy -- MB-CE883E05403581C4 - Taken by agniswarm. 1 entrants total.
Steel and Steam -- MB-BE31E512683BDA2A
Not The Robots -- MB-AEEB8582FCCCBB6B - Taken by Crab Milk Mickey. 2 entrants total.
The Chaos Engine -- MB-985D9E3CEEB9AAF1 - Taken by fenners. 3 entrants total.
Lost Civilization -- MB-7B0865CDD26ECC18 - Taken by someguyinahat. 2 entrants total.
Memories of a Vagabond -- MB-B78F7F71C6A9C92E - Taken by Sammichu. 1 entrants total.
Real World Racing -- MB-9BC244A65701CA1E - Taken by Lomax. 6 entrants total.
Love -- MB-52FDDE151051DC7D - Taken by SSPssp. 1 entrants total.
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-E3AAD84CBB7B8898 - Taken by Woody Invincible. 1 entrants total.
Soundodger Plus -- MB-208F1384F934B9B0 - Taken by jshackles. 2 entrants total.
A Virus Named TOM -- MB-4CB1A943C0FB0A72 - Taken by agniswarm. 1 entrants total.
Go Home Dinosaurs! -- MB-8B7A2BEA657B0F9F - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.
Jamestown Deluxe -- MB-BDC8676E0BC7CAA4 - Taken by Blak_Status. 10 entrants total.
Vector -- MB-E5C0C11DA3286762 - Taken by BHK3. 4 entrants total.
A valley without wind 1 and 2 -- MB-CB34FC2DEF71A427 - Taken by nja. 3 entrants total.
Retro Grade -- MB-A70A9003AD59AEFE - Taken by Roboleon. 3 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe Infinite -- MB-197D18DED260BDDB - Taken by Tesseract. 4 entrants total.
PixelJunk Shooter -- MB-069A76A756666A69 - Taken by 2n2. 3 entrants total.
Nightmares from the Deep The Siren's Call -- MB-45254C465041FCF0 - Taken by redlacs. 3 entrants total.
Papers, Please -- MB-AE2C5F558033AB3B - Taken by iosefe. 33 entrants total.
Gunpoint -- MB-10AA1693156E3699 - Taken by Evrain. 18 entrants total.

t1410391243z1.png

ArjanN

F.E.A.R. is the best

God no, Fear 2 is much better than 3.

The first one is definitely the best though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom