• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khronico

Y'know, this may sound like blasphemy, but having to play KotOR II at 30 fps due to technical issues (insane tearing at 60 fps) makes me realize that 30 fps really isn't that bad for slower-paced games - when there's a visual benefit. At least for strategy games, I'm going to consider downsampling from 1440p or higher and locking them at 30.

Same here (In fact I think I had the same issue as you with KOTOR2 when I played it). I've been realizing that I can deal with 30 completely fine as long as I can play at my desktop resolution w/vsync. Heck, I was playing BF4 on my laptop (High-medium mix settings, no AA, desktop res) at 30-50fps and it didn't bother me in the least.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm being stalked

Just because I like you doesn't make me a stalker. >:|

Er-I mean!!

so I made it pvt because it was annoying, didn't know it didn't show what I've been playing.

Friends-only would solve that, yeah?

Spoiler:
it's Marvel as usual

But of course.

Chairmanchuck said:
Would you say Assassins Creed is a collectathon?

No, but it can be if you want it to be. I will say that at times it doesn't bother me but today it's kinda bothering me. Just tedious needless work to pad out their game when side missions that aren't the Assassin's vs Templars would work. For instance, hunting the whales and sharks in 4: Black Flag has broken some of the monotony. That as would
going into Abstergo Entertainment
even though most people don't like the modern-time side/meta-plot helps more than going around on the maps and finding things.

Thankfully though, 4: Black Flag lists all of them if you sync areas instead of hiding them unless you buy a treasure map, so at least they understand that bullshit isn't very fun for most people.

No, but it can be if you want it to be.

I am just wondering. Who buys games like Batman or AC just to enjoy a 5-6 hour story. I mean a big part of those games are the sidequests and the collecting stuff part.

That would going into Abstergo Entertainment even though most people don't like the modern-time side/meta-plot helps more than going around on the maps and finding things.

Actually in Black Flag I really like this modern-time setting. It seems like almost 90% of the modern-time story is hidden in those computers and notes. It kinda feels a bit like Deus Ex.

Miguel81

Would you say Assassins Creed is a collectathon?

I think if you just follow the story-missions the game is quite boring, but as a completionist I always spend a lot of time with the AC games and most of the time because of collecting things, doing side-missions, upgrading different things etc.
I wonder if there are people that just finish the story in those Games and then be done with it. I think you can finish every AC game in 5-6 hours then.

Same with the Arkham Games. Do each main-missions and you are finished pretty quickly.

Somewhat, but collecting all chests is pretty pointless as you'll make enough money just playing the game. Everything else has some half-decent reward, though. Ubi's just trying to give people a reason to explore these worlds, so I can't blame them populating the map with all these trinkets.

iosefe

Guys i need opinions...

Playing Papers, Please, and iv'e encountered a woman who is the wife of the person i just let through.

i've already goofed twice this day, and i can't really afford the 5 credit dock in pay because my son is sick.

what do i do? be kind to the foreigners, or think only of my family?

TheSeks

I am just wondering. Who buys games like Batman or AC just to enjoy a 5-6 hour story. I mean a big part of those games are the sidequests and the collecting stuff part.

Me, I'm mostly there for the meta-plot and "main plot" and exploring the maps while going to the missions. I'm no there for collect-a-thon for extra hours for one new item that doesn't really make it worth the hassle when I can still counter-kill someone easy with the default weapons.

Actually in Black Flag I really like this modern-time setting. It seems like almost 90% of the modern-time story is hidden in those computers and notes. It kinda feels a bit like Deus Ex.

I actually liked the modern times before 4. But I HATED 3's ending to the meta-plot there. It was just rushed. And I don't like how 4 basically hand-waves it away with
"Oh well Desmond died but we got a sample of his blood so we can continue to poke around in his memories so fans can explore Kenway's brood because they liked Haytham over Connor in 3!"

Why does everything have to be a roguelike?

:(

It looks so good otherwise.

The game literally has the name "Dungeon" in it. If it's not a roguelike, it's gonna be an ARPG, with a few rare exceptions.

iosefe said:
Guys i need opinions...

Playing Papers, Please, and iv'e encountered a woman who is the wife of the person i just let through.

i've already goofed twice this day, and i can't really afford the 5 credit dock in pay because my son is sick.

That's the name of the game. They lead to different endings I believe, so do what you think is best.

I actually liked the modern times before 4. But I HATED 3's ending to the meta-plot there.

I wouldnt really say I hated it.
I just thought Desmonds Death wasnt really played out dramatically. He was dead and... why should I care? The same with Lucy in AC2. Japanese games can do it really well, but I didnt care about Desmonds Death at all.

TheSeks

I hated it because there was no choice. Basically
Desmond dies because he chooses to die to try to save the human race. Despite the fact that his entire party goes "wait, you don't have to die! Some humans may die but we can survive this cataclysm and come out of it stronger." Instead it's just written so Desmond dies and they can get around the 2012 world-ending meta-plot they did.
It was just a hastily written ending and I don't like the whole lack of motivation to at least expand Desmond's reasoning behind the whole thing. Especially when they expanded the whole meta-plot and had conspiracies that didn't go anywhere before that for four games before 3. :|

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Guys i need opinions...

Do what you think you should do. That's the game. Although I never even came close to run out of money somehow.

I actually liked the modern times before 4. But I HATED 3's ending to the meta-plot there. It was just rushed. And I don't like how 4 basically hand-waves it away with
"Oh well Desmond died but we got a sample of his blood so we can continue to poke around in his memories so fans can explore Kenway's brood because they liked Haytham over Connor in 3!"

I didn't play Revelations so I was kinda surprised by the whole
the world is going to end
thing that was suddenly happening. That seriously ruined the entire story for me. I don't even know WHY I liked the AC story, cause all the Desmond stuff was pretty bad but that part killed me. So goddamn stupid. And the ending to AC3 was just hilarious.
Man, I seriously loved the ending of AC2 though

Desmond dies because he chooses to die to try to save the human race. Despite the fact that his entire party goes "wait, you don't have to die! Some humans may die but we can survive this cataclysm and come out of it stronger." Instead it's just written so Desmond dies and they can get around the 2012 world-ending meta-plot they did.
It was just a hastily written ending and I don't like the whole lack of motivation to at least expand Desmond's reasoning behind the whole thing. Especially when they expanded the whole meta-plot and had conspiracies that didn't go anywhere before that for four games before 3. :|

It was kinda hilarious cause I thought the game would give me a choice. And I wouldn't have chosen what the game chose for me.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I think the worst part about it is that
Desmond's death is so lame. He just touches a big glowing ball, is shocked with magical First Civilization power that makes his hand apparently undergo necrosis really fast, and falls over. Truly a fitting end to the protagonist that some people played as for five games including III.
III's epilogue with Connor is kind of lame too.

iosefe

It get's so much better worse. Enjoy the ride

End of day 5:
15016845667_b8c8c0bb13_b.jpg
my family is slowly dying, but at least i got that snazzy token

TheSeks

The ending to 3 ruined the series for a good while for me. It took me until the past few days to even get around to playing AC4/Black Flags singleplayer, that's how bad the ending fucked up for me.

That said:
Seeing Sean and Rebecca again after about 5 hours of singleplayer
put a smile on my face. Only for it to be removed when you
see Seans face
Ubisoft needs to stop hitting the male characters with the plastic surgeon ugly stick. I swear he's going to be the new Desmond 2.0 in changing things for the worst between games. :|

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The saddest thing is that I was 100% certain that AC would build up to a full modern game AC game with Desmond with some cool future gadgets that let you climb skycrapers etc.
Cause up till AC3I was really into the AC story. Sure it was dumb, but it was SOO dumb that I really, really enjoyed it for some reason.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The saddest thing is that I was 100% certain that AC would build up to a full modern game AC game with Desmond with some cool future gadgets that let you climb skycrapers etc.
Cause up till AC3I was really into the AC story. Sure it was dumb, but it was SOO dumb that I really, really enjoyed it for some reason.

I wanted that after I played II for the first time, because it felt like that was what the game was leading to. I still sort of wanted that when I played Brotherhood for the first time. After playing Revelations, I kind of stopped caring as much about the modern day part of the story. III kind of destroyed the interest that I had left in it.

IV sort of brought it back a bit, but I'm way more interested in the historical settings. Ass Creed has moved from a scifi historical murder simulator series to just a historical murder simulator series for me now.

I still miss II's Subject 16 glyphs. Those were great, and actually made me interested in the plot.

Seanspeed

Banned
Alright, so you have a bit of a reputation as a concern troll on GAF
That must seriously be one of the most annoying, overused 'labels' that goes around these parts.

I assure you I am never 'trolling' with anything I ever say. I have no intention of illiciting reactions from people or being dishonest about my opinions of anything for the purposes of pushing an agenda.

Its simply become a convenient dismissal of somebody's opinion in many cases.

Anyways, my only point is that roguelikes aren't my thing. A turn-based game like that looks really good, but adding in roguelike elements kills my interest. I was just expressing disappointment at that since its happened quite a few times.

I have no problem with games being roguelikes in actuality. I don't expect the gaming industry to cater to me. It was just a passing comment.

I'm going to Target on Friday and am really torn on this b1g1. I'm probably going $20 eShop for my girlfriend so she can get Tomodachi Life next week, and $20 Steam for me so I can pay off TEW.

And I was so close to a free Smash copy. Decisions, decisions...

The Destiny review thread is proving to be rather entertaining. Hopefully some of the bigger sites publish their review scores soon so that the fireworks can really start up :D

Grief.exe

The Destiny review thread is proving to be rather entertaining. Hopefully some of the bigger sites publish their review scores soon so that the fireworks can really start up :D

I really don't understand the review obsession on GAF.

We are well aware that gaming journalism is a corrupt and utterly broken institution. Yet, we spend hundreds of pages discussing review scores of games with extremely high marketing budgets.

Shadownet

Banned

We are well aware that gaming journalism is a corrupt and utterly broken institution. Yet, we spend hundreds of pages discussing review scores of games with extremely high marketing budgets.

All I do is go on IGN and Kotaku. scroll down to the bottom and look for the bottom lines. But that would effect like 20% of my judgement to try the game or not.

FFXIII had a very annoying character and her even more annoying son that reminded you of this phrase. Most people use it to narrow down why they dislike FFXIII so much. Even when the honest version would be a "I don't like FFXII because is a shit of a game"

What?
I found Hope, Vanille, and Sazh to be annoying... Vanille was the worst tho.
But I have no idea what you're talking about with a character and her son?

And FF13 was the best FF game since FF9.

It's going for 4 tf2 keys on dispenser.tf. I buy my TF2 keys for 1.85$

What?
The main game is going for 4 tf2 keys? That seems ridiculously low considering it's locked.

All I do is go on IGN and Kotaku. scroll down to the bottom and look for the bottom lines. But that would effect like 20% of my judgement to try the game or not.

I don't even do that. I just ask GAF, "Hey GAF, is it good?" and then the entirety of GAF responds in a single post. "Nope," GAF says. Then I'm all, "Okay :( " and I save my money.

Well, maybe I'm misremembering the details slightly, but that's the general idea.

Lomax

I think the makers of Defiance have to be sitting around and thinking they had a TV show and a year start and yet Destiny probably made more in one day than they have total with an idea that at least on paper seems pretty similar.

Pakkidis

Bioshock Infinite gets a 5.1GB update. ITs localized voices for the DLC, something that I don't care about and yet I have to waste 5.1 gb of bandwidth and hard drive space. Good job 2K.

What happened to the option to turn off updates for games on Steam? Now I have to update games which messes everything up.

fenners

Doh, discovered more unused codes for two good games!

ModBot said:
[
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fenners, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Astrotripper -- MB-22C48D8DCF5F4CE9 - Taken by swx. 3 entrants total.
I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream -- MB-956EA6238D8C2049 - Taken by Accoun. 5 entrants total.

t1410410684z1.png

rtcn63

If you spend enough time perusing reviews, you learn to read between the lines. It's not hard to tell whether a reviewer wants to give something a shit score but won't for job security reasons, and at the very least, you can see what data remains consistent (and vice versa) between the various published opinions.

DontBlink

I'm going to Target on Friday and am really torn on this b1g1. I'm probably going $20 eShop for my girlfriend so she can get Tomodachi Life next week, and $20 Steam for me so I can pay off TEW.

And I was so close to a free Smash copy. Decisions, decisions...

Do you mean b1g1 25% off or is there something I'm missing?

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, I defended you because I share a similar opinion of many recent releases. So, uh. Yeah. Don't know what else to say. Your rep is a thing on this forum, so I thought I'd make sure that others knew that your position is one I see as legitimate.

Next time I won't stick my neck out for you. :3
You weren't really sticking your neck out for me, though. You weren't dispelling the notion of my reputation, you were just commenting in spite of it. In fact, you're doing nothing but reinforcing my 'reputation' by mentioning it(its actually the first I've heard of it).

So yea, sorry if I'm not particularly grateful. :/

Dude forget all that and just enjoy the ride. This is a quote from the thread...

The hype I had four this game makes me wonder if I can ever love again.......a game that is.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom