• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeBobby

The amount of zombies on screen in Dead Rising 3 is impressive, but I can't seem to move without getting swarmed by a million of them. The survivor AI is still as dumb as ever, too.

I'm having fun, though. I just wish it ran better.

Am I the only immune to this Destiny thing?

I'm not even interested on playing it on PC or something.
Naw, I stopped buying into game hype with titanfall. Ain't buying anything on day one when I can get it for half off or more around day 60-90.

Makes playing good games feel even greater and mediocre games good, since I didn't pay full price and usually most games will be decently patched up by then.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad I didn't buy into the hype, since I've heard bad things about it. Maybe if it comes to PC and has a really good sale.

It's a good game, I'm enjoying it a lot but it is basically a Bungie shooter. Fantastic enemy AI and combat which is the meat and bones and a lot of fun. It's not flashy or full of spectacle but I really like the core mechanics. It could do with more mission variety but I'd buy it on PC again in a heartbeat for 60fps alone. Overhyped and the story is utter bollocks but it's a damn decent game.

Deitus

I'm interested in Destiny, even if it's just Borderlands with better production value and less jokes.

But it's the kind of game I wouldn't want to play on a last gen console. But seeing as I don't own a current gen console, and neither do any of my friends I would want to play co-op with, I'm going to hold off on buying it.

I'll get it when I get a PS4 or it comes out on PC, whichever comes first.

;_; but mom said I'm great

I'm sure you're great, but you aren't special. :p

Tenrius

I'm really into sci-fi and I also like shooters. However, the several hours of the beta I played bored me to tears. I thought the story was incoherent, the gunplay dull and the bullet sponge bosses not fun at all, and finally the loot collecting aspect also didn't sit right with me. Which is to say, I'm really not sure why people make such a big deal out of that game.

Uzzy

I'm a lot less interested now after seeing some gameplay and listening to people talk about it, that's for sure. I was a big Halo fan, and I was somewhat interested in seeing what Bungie were up to now, but Destiny looks a bit meh.

I'll re-evaluate when it's on sale on PC.

Hugstable

Banned
still better than Titanfall's (or Wolfenstein's) 50GB :p

I had to delete Titanfall, it just wasn't worth having it take up almost 50gb of space just for that game alone. Was it just the languages they left in that produced that BS? Is there anyway possible to patch something like that out and reduce the overall file size?

vg260

=/

I like when games only download the language you've chosen. Seems like it's getting more and more important with these ridiculous asset sizes.

5 GB? This is becoming my pet peeve of digital gaming more than anything else. Can these services allow language selection download options so we don't have to waste disk space and bandwidth for huge chunks of unused data?

Mr. Tibbs

Minimum has left early access and is 50% off for the next week.

OUR END OF EARLY ACCESS UPDATE HAS ARRIVED!
At long last Minimum is ready to leave the quiet comfort of Early Access and set forth into the brave world of full Steam games! Update 4.0 brings a bunch of new features and a ton of polish improvements to the same Minimum game you guys have shown so much love to over the past few months. We’re really proud of what we’ve put together and we think that you, the players, should be too. Without your help we wouldn't have been able to create the Minimum that stands before you today, and for that you have our heartfelt thanks and gratitude.

Most importantly, this is not the end for Minimum’s polish and improvement! We’ve got plenty more plans for bug fixing, content polishing and new features that we hope to reveal to you guys in the next few weeks, so stay tuned. And now, on to the patch notes!

4.0 Patch notes.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is nowhere near as good as I remember it being :/

EVERYBODY'S SUPER SANIC RACING TRY TO KEEP UR FEET RIGHT ON THE GROUND
WHEN YOU'RE SUPER SANIC RACING THERE'S NO TIME TO LOOK AROUND!!!!!

Time to purge that monstrosity from my mind again.

That looks pretty cool. I can usually get behind games with the 1920s as a setting, too.

That looks sort of spooky, I guess.

Kraven Manor has inspired tens of thousands of Let’s Play videos

yshV1Zw.png

I really shouldn't be surprised that those are among the first search results just for the game's name. I really shouldn't be.

Dr Dogg

Huh, my 6 year old workstation I'm about to chop in will run Alien Isolation. The curse of cross gen gaming or remarkably scalable engine? Well I guess we'll find out next month.

Regards to Destiny, I don't know. I liked what I played of the beta (in crapy PS3-o-vision) but from hearing that the campaign doesn't do to much more different than what that set out I'd really only pick it up if some mates were as well. Seems like going solo could depend on your tolerance to a small set of rewards and gameplay repetition.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That ain't spiderman you lied to me.

What do you mean? Wait that's NOT a game where Kraven the Hunter lures Spider-Man to his manor where he has to survive a 1 night hunt in a manor full of traps and shit? :(

You made your profile private though. I can't see if you've been playing Hatoful Boyfriend or not. :(

I'm being stalked so I made it pvt because it was annoying, didn't know it didn't show what I've been playing.

Spoiler:
it's Marvel as usual

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Regards to Destiny, I don't know. I liked what I played of the beta (in crapy PS3-o-vision) but from hearing that the campaign doesn't do to much more different than what that set out I'd really only pick it up if some mates were as well. Seems like going solo could depend on your tolerance to a small set of rewards and gameplay repetition.
That's my view as well from playing the beta.

Am I the only one (I'm not, but whatever) that doesn't understand why exactly that phrase got quoted everywhere?

But then again, MGS2 dud hype during streams.

FFXIII had a very annoying character and her even more annoying son that reminded you of this phrase. Most people use it to narrow down why they dislike FFXIII so much. Even when the honest version would be a "I don't like FFXII because is a shit of a game"

H1PSTER

So here's the thing.

I was going to do a giveaway but I'm banned from trading on steam for a week, because I used a supposed new payment source even though I used the one I always use.

GG Valve, thank you.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone here play Cave Story+? And if so, did you attempt to run through Hell under 3 minutes? How long did that take you, approximately? 'Cos I might just hold off on trying until I get feeling in my wrists again.

Strider

A game has finally cured me of my CS:GO addiction... Destiny.

It's a flawed game in many ways right now but I'm still loving every minute. I'll be sure to do a write-up if a PC version is announced.

Deitus

Am I the only one (I'm not, but whatever) that doesn't understand why exactly that phrase got quoted everywhere?

But then again, MGS2 dud hype during streams.

Honestly, it never made sense to me either. Of all of the stilted dialog and unrealistic character interactions in FFXIII, "Mom's are tough" doesn't even rank. I'd go as far as to say that line is one of the more believable lines in the game to be quite honest.

I guess maybe it got more attention because it was included in the demo, when there wasn't a whole lot known about the story.

I'm not sure how old this is but Steam's content stats page now has an interactive map of global traffic that can be sorted by data transferred or speeds.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

I find the satellite view more interesting. Southern Brazil is the third most dense section of green dots. Russia has a surprisingly low density of dots for it's 10% traffic. And does the Australian map mirror the population distribution?

Hugstable

Banned
Anyone here play Cave Story+? And if so, did you attempt to run through Hell under 3 minutes? How long did that take you, approximately? 'Cos I might just hold off on trying until I get feeling in my wrists again.

It's been like 3 years of different attempts and I still haven't finished the 3rd form of that final boss. Hardest thing ever in gaming.

Miker

Y'know, this may sound like blasphemy, but having to play KotOR II at 30 fps due to technical issues (insane tearing at 60 fps) makes me realize that 30 fps really isn't that bad for slower-paced games - when there's a visual benefit. At least for strategy games, I'm going to consider downsampling from 1440p or higher and locking them at 30.

Y'know, this may sound like blasphemy, but having to play KotOR II at 30 fps due to technical issues (insane tearing at 60 fps) makes me realize that 30 fps really isn't that bad for slower-paced games - when there's a visual benefit. At least for strategy games, I'm going to consider downsampling from 1440p or higher and locking them at 30.
I don't mind it for stuff where I'm using a gamepad, but if I'm using a mouse cursor then 30fps feels really gross. It's not even about how it looks for me, I can handle that. It just doesn't feel good to use a mouse at 30fps.

Accoun

FFXIII had a very annoying character and her even more annoying son that reminded you of this phrase. Most people use it to narrow down why they dislike FFXIII so much. Even when the honest version would be a "I don't like FFXII because is a shit of a game"

Well, yeah. I played FFXIII (at least the beginning, because my PS3 died in the meantime, when I was still early in the story) and it just didn't stick out to me, maybe except for "that was Mary Elizabeth McGlynn voicing her, wasn't it?".
She dies right after that anyway, so unless she's seen in some kind of flashback, gets resurrected (lol, why not?) or the phrase itself returns, I couldn't care less about her and if not for her voice I wouldn't even remember that she existed.

But as I've said, haven't reached that far in the game.

A game has finally cured me of my CS:GO addiction... Destiny.

It's a flawed game in many ways right now but I'm still loving every minute. I'll be sure to do a write-up if a PC version is announced.
Its all I've been playing since I got it. The strange thing is that its not even an amazing game but there's just something about it that doesn't let me put it down, are you on ps4?

Miker

I don't mind it for stuff where I'm using a gamepad, but if I'm using a mouse cursor then 30fps feels really gross. It's not even about how it looks for me, I can handle that. It just doesn't feel good to use a mouse at 30fps.

Oh, I agree - I mean stuff that's cursor-based. Playing shooters or action games or anything in which the mouse directly controls the camera is awful at 30 fps.

Would you say Assassins Creed is a collectathon?

I think if you just follow the story-missions the game is quite boring, but as a completionist I always spend a lot of time with the AC games and most of the time because of collecting things, doing side-missions, upgrading different things etc.
I wonder if there are people that just finish the story in those Games and then be done with it. I think you can finish every AC game in 5-6 hours then.

Same with the Arkham Games. Do each main-missions and you are finished pretty quickly.

Is Castlevania 2+dlcs worth 7.4$?

Absolutely, there is some real garbage in the game and you can tell it underwent some major development woes but there are still a lot of interesting set pieces and fun combat. Just a shame that the city elements so often feel cheaply thrown in. The idea of a modern Gothic city was incredible but so often you just end up in the blandest hotels you can think of. You get some more interesting city areas from time to time that show what they were going for, but it only makes it all the more more disappointing when you end up in another sewer. Plus the game felt really easy even on the hardest difficulty setting, but at this point I might just be good at the genre.

Still, despite all of that the castle elements are gorgeous, the bosses fun to fight against, and the combat feels great. Just hurts to think about what it should have been, I still think the first game is one of the best games in the genre that despite the slow start branches out to have an incredible sense of a journey that few games can match. You can tell the sequel had equally grand ambitions but something went horribly wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom