• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
header.jpg

43b879832d.png

I can't
zIAJUfE.gif

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This may be a long shot, but anyone know here if they figured out a way to get rid of the weird judder when playing LA Noire? I figured out the 60fps fix, but even with D3Doverrider this thing is giving me a weird headache when it moves.

Extra from buying KF2

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (the_firewithin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Killing Floor -- MB-C42EB4D79FC55FD9 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 9 entrants total.

t1441254326z1.png

Jawmuncher

Have already put 15 hours into MGSV and im pretty sure some steamgaffers have put in more already. It's on the way to be my most played steam game. Right now I'm really liking it, though just because of the big breaks in story content. I could never see me calling it my favorite so far. Sandbox sneaking is amazing, but I would still take MGS1-3 style of gameplay and cutscenes mixed over it.

Glad the story stuff so far (have even listened to all cassettes so far) is pretty good.

Have already put 15 hours into MGSV and im pretty sure some steamgaffers have put in more already. It's on the way to be my most played steam game. Right now I'm really liking it, though just because of the big breaks in story content. I could never see me calling it my favorite so far. Sandbox sneaking is amazing, but I would still take MGS1-3 style of gameplay and cutscenes mixed over it.

Glad the story stuff so far (have even listened to all cassettes so far) is pretty good.

I feel he opposite. I love everything except the silly story stuff. The intro was particularly bad.

I'm at 18 hours played and Snake averages about half a line spoken an hour thus far.

Jawmuncher

I feel he opposite. I love everything except the silly story stuff. The intro was particularly bad.

I'm at 18 hours played and Snake averages about half a line spoken an hour thus far.

I will agree that the prologue did drag on. But the thing is all of the prior metal gear games is what I grew up with and what got me into the series. Hell even gaming in general, so i'm going to lean towards that style. Similar to the RE fans who prefer the older style games to the new stuff. Though that's not to say you can't like both.

Already 11 hours clocked in Alpha Protocol. And I just finished the first Op. It's one of those games that grab you. Really helps with the globetrotting journey too.
One of the cheesy things (
Arab terrorist baddy
) getting a twist early on was nice and that's exactly what I want from a spy game. But also dope-ass spy lairs with huge servers and a secret motorcycle exits lol
Can't help it but going the spy-route just feels right. Good that there are several ways to play the game but it didn't feel like playing as straight up shooter was intended.
Sure, graphically it is not very impressive these days and levels feel small with at times too much recycling but hey, there is charm and even a neat subtle sense of humor which I'd take any day over high-fidelity visuals.
This scene made me think of MGSV though, hah. A little bit similar in that I play this too stealthily.

I don't mind story taking a back seat if it means no more "Max Payne 3 cutscene overload" prologue sessions.

Good thing Kojima let you do the latter half of the tutorial yourself, on open ground. Else it would've been worse than AssCreed 3.

Jawmuncher

Alpha Protocol is one of those games I really wish would have had longer dev time, or a sequel that polishes the original's idea's. I liked what was there but it never clicked for me, due to just how much jank was there. The one thing that I felt really stood out were conversations and choices. So I can see why it has it's cult following.

Alpha Protocol is one of those games I really wish would have had longer dev time, or a sequel that polishes the original's idea's. I liked what was there but it never clicked for me, due to just how much jank was there. The one thing that I felt really stood out were conversations and choices. So I can see why it has it's cult following.
Yep, there is jank. More than I'd like. It hurts the game overall sadly. Better animations, better and diverse models, better gunplay, and this would have been a much more "easy" ride.
I'm okay with it though as long as it doesn't get tedious and repetitive. Didn't so far gladly. Played over 50hours Witcher 1 just recently, so am aaaallll hardened against jank & ugliness :3

Sch1sm

Just finished the first episode of The Wolf Among Us. Slow paced, very much so. Then again, my only Telltale experience before this is a single episode of GoT which starts at a point of total carnage in the novels/show. It could also be that I'm more invested in GoT because I actively watch the show and the sort, though.

The combat reels a lot weirder with kb/m rather than a controller, so I may switch up soon after that. Find I'm a lot slower in making those specifically placed blows outside of the whole dodge and such (WASD, Q). Going to have to switch there.

I never read the comics associated to it, so I'm positive I'm missing background information. The Book of Fables in the pause menu is great for that, though. Could do without having achievements in that section as well. I don't like manually going through every one to remove the "new" icon because of my mild OCD, whereas with the fables I have to genuinely read. To tell you just how much I need to read it SteamGAF, I didn't realise Colin was one of the Three Little Pigs. Went right over my head.

It seems well done enough. I like the art style. I have qualms with the entire stop here and look at everything because you may just need it, but that's more my impatience. It's also possible I'll get into it as I continue and totally binge on it. As it stands, however, I'm in need of a faster paced game with lots of useless combat and killing, especially after how much of a constraint The Marvellous Miss Take confines the player to.

TL DR;

• Finished the first episode of The Wolf Among Us.
  • It's pretty newbie friendly, I like that, because I don't remember fables so well.
  • Too slow paced for me at the minute, as it currently stands.
  • Time for a faster game with lots of mindless violence.

I bet its Baraka and those other models they already have that are non playable opponents in the story

Baraka and Rain would make a hell of a lot of sense, since the PC version already had mods to let you play as them since they were in the game's code/assets and while from from complete, they had movesets and such that could easily be touched up and included. That and they're series staples at this point.

Pakkidis

Yep, there is jank. More than I'd like. It hurts the game overall sadly. Better animations, better and diverse models, better gunplay, and this would have been a much more "easy" ride.
I'm okay with it though as long as it doesn't get tedious and repetitive. Didn't so far gladly. Played over 50hours Witcher 1 just recently, so am aaaallll hardened against jank & ugliness :3

The 'jank' is what makes Alpha Protocol so special though. Best RPG from last generation as far as I'm concerned.

Deitus

I still can't log into the server on Phantom Pain. Come on Konami, I just want to download my Ground Zeroes save, is that too much to ask?

zkylon

zkylewd
Already 11 hours clocked in Alpha Protocol. And I just finished the first Op. It's one of those games that grab you. Really helps with the globetrotting journey too.
Arab terrorist baddy
) getting a twist early on was nice and that's exactly what I want from a spy game. But also dope-ass spy lairs with huge servers and a secret motorcycle exits lol

Can't help it but going the spy-route just feels right. Good that there are several ways to play the game but it didn't feel like playing as straight up shooter was intended.
Sure, graphically it is not very impressive these days and levels feel small with at times too much recycling but hey, there is charm and even a neat subtle sense of humor which I'd take any day over high-fidelity visuals.

This scene made me think of MGSV though, hah. A little bit similar in that I play this too stealthily.
alpha protocol is awesome, it's definitely not a game that allows you to play it as a shooter and have fun at the same time, but tbh neither did deus ex or system shock or whatever

it didn't really need time, just a non-schizo publisher that kept changing directions mid way

it'd be a fantastic kickstarter game if kickstarter could raise the amount of money needed to fund something like alpha protocol

Some impressions for Namariel Legends: Iron Lord Premium Edition (not that crummy REGULAR edition):

The story: You play Princess Amelie Nolastname (a possible nod to King's Bounty Armored Princess? A ripoff? Or maybe just a coincidence?) who lives with her bespectacled grey-moustachioed engineer uncle, and is prophesied to save her parents as well as stop the reign of the evil Iron Lord, his army of giant steampunk robots, his right hand man with a mechanical hand, and his black mechanical centipede spies with red eyes.

Wait a minute...engineer father figure...giant robots...mechanical hand baddie...black centipede robots with red eyes? These are the EXACT same as Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink! I actually went back to see if this game was made by the same company and it's a prequel or something, but nope, it's just an egregious ripoff. Okay, the mechanical hand bad guy doesn't look identical, but I'd say Marvel has a case since he bears more than a passing resemblance to Baron von Strucker.

The gameplay: This plays like a hidden object game without hidden object scenes. In other words, a first-person simplified point-and-click adventure. Which is fine, I guess, but regular point-and-clicks usually bring more to the table plot- and puzzle-wise, and hidden object games can be forgiven the simpilcity because of the hidden object scenes. So I'm not sure why they did it this way. Can't complain about the puzzles, though.

The dialogue and voices: If you're going to have an older engineer type guy...DON'T make him sound like Seth Fucking Green. I could seriously stop there and say that's all you need to know. They also have a child character whose dialogue seems to alternate between cockney and medieval, but the kid doesn't bother trying either of those. Just a regular kid who says "Blimey!" and "thee" and "thou." The best voice is probably the wizard who's practically a dead ringer for Neil Young. But wow, old guy with the young-sounding voice. Almost as jarring as the fact that they don't do a little pause after each bit of dialogue, so some bits get cut off abruptly at the end, or sentences collide into each other.

The graphics: Some of the characters are slightly uncanny valley, but the cutscenes and environments look good.

The length: Took me 3.7 hours including the bonus chapter. A decent length for a hidden object game, but kinda short for a non-episodic point-and-click adventure.

The verdict: It's a bundle game with no cards and no Steam achievements, so if those are important to you, don't bother with this game. I didn't hate it, but there are lots better - and more original - point and clicks out there.

I've been thinking of speed running some of my PC games but, I never really did any type of speed run in my life. Expect maybe my own personal one for Mega Man X.

All this talk about Mad Max being a somewhat decent game and an optimized port on PC...wonder if I should take the plunge and get it at Nuuvem.

LATE EDIT: Raiden IV: Overkill is out. 10% launch discount brings it to $13.49. Owners of Raiden 3 get 10% more, making it 20% total discount towards part 4.

Sch1sm

I've been thinking of speed running some of my PC games but, I never really did any type of speed run in my life. Expect maybe my own personal one for Mega Man X.

I always find it difficult to go back once I've completed a game, unless I loved it that much. Even then, I'm more likely to go back with leisure than fly by it.

Buraindo

it'd be a fantastic kickstarter game if kickstarter could raise the amount of money needed to fund something like alpha protocol

Yeah, it's definitely one of those games that could use a properly developed spiritual sequel. With a decent budget and enough time I'm sure Obsidian could make a great spy RPG.

Speaking of Alpha Protocol.

Arab terrorist baddy

I'm glad to see that you're enjoying the game despite its quirks. It definitely takes some getting used to and I wouldn't really blame anyone for not wanting to play it for more than ten minutes.

Dsyndrome

Just got Mad Max from Nuuvem for $24.66, no VPN. That site makes it really hard to pass up launch releases, or buy anywhere else for that matter.

Also Wasteland brings best out of some people :D
21066753435_ac22133ffd_o.png
And the worst in others :p
All this talk about Mad Max being a somewhat decent game and an optimized port on PC...wonder if I should take the plunge and get it at Nuuvem.
It's been a pretty fun game so far. That being said it certainly isn't going to be your thing if you're not into the modern open world design of putting a heap of small activities everywhere on the map.
Still, the car combat is quite satisfying at the moment, and I have to give the developers props for putting in regenerating nitrous boost; while the game and setting sort of dictate some degree of resource management I was afraid that it would make the combat a bit dull (or promoted behaviours like a player reserving their collected nitrous in case they need it later, never using it). The developers (at least so far) have settled into a nice sweet spot as far as resource allocation goes that allows for some fun combat encounters.

And the worst in others :p

It's been a pretty fun game so far. That being said it certainly isn't going to be your thing if you're not into the modern open world design of putting a heap of small activities everywhere on the map.
Still, the car combat is quite satisfying at the moment, and I have to give the developers props for putting in regenerating nitrous boost; while the game and setting sort of dictate some degree of resource management I was afraid that it would make the combat a bit dull (or promoted behaviours like a player reserving their collected nitrous in case they need it later, never using it). The developers (at least so far) have settled into a nice sweet spot as far as resource allocation goes that allows for some fun combat encounters.

Game looks so tempting to buy. >_<

I always find it difficult to go back once I've completed a game, unless I loved it that much. Even then, I'm more likely to go back with leisure than fly by it.
Yeah that's kinda a problem I have. Only game I loved to that degree is MMX and I guess RE4.

gabbo

Boy do the screens look ugly. It's not like that in motion at all.

I can totally see why promo screens are touched up a bit. Doesn't reflect the feel of playing it just.
---
Compared to this Inner Chains... well, there's hardly a thing to compare. Just baffling

Now I'm intrigued by Inner Chains, if a little amused at their idea of what "The world that&#8217;s unlike anything they&#8217;ve seen before." that looks like a combination of The Void and Quake2
Still Polish horror fps are a rare thing, so I'll keep an eye on it

Loving tpp, one thing that bothers me is when you get on the horse the camera moves to focus on the fron of the horse and snake, that shit is so annoying, also is it more or is the idroid loading for motherbase insanely slow, sometimes i just close idroid and open it back up cause its quicker that way

iosefe

I've been meaning to reroll on Pillars since the first real update.

What would you recommend for someone wanting to at the foremost enjoy the story. Not too difficult

MUnited83

For you.
I wish kickstarter like this have more simple goals such like "more unique animation!"

I would like it than trying to bloat more feature

Eh, i don't think they are bloat at all. This is not their first ride in crowfunding. I'm well convinced they always had every single of the features in the stretch goals planned to be included in the game well in advance. They present them as stretch goals because they need something to keep the pledges going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom