• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

Can't believe Kojima's idea of confronting the issue of child soldiers is just saying "child soldier is bad mmkay? and we should help them" in cassette tapes.

I've only just run into them. I was hoping they would go into controversial territory and actually start using them. Guess not

I have been avoiding this topic to ignore any MGSV spoilers because I have a bad habit of unspoiler'ing all spoiler-tags. Stops talking about MGSV!! Let me have my 1-6 months to finish it :p

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

The 39 Steps -- MB-1F90DBBB0EDB5FB1 - Taken by gurm3n

Arthea

You guys are so mainstream, my most played game soon will be Fairy Fencer ... and not because how long it is, it isn't, but how incredibly painful 100%-it is. I wish someone told me this, before I invested this much time and funny part, I still am as far from 100% as if I only started.

edited: actually... I just noticed how many hours I have in Clicker Heroes and if even most of that time is idling, it's still scary

Tizoc

I've only just run into them. I was hoping they would go into controversial territory and actually start using them. Guess not

Can't believe Kojima's idea of confronting the issue of child soldiers is just saying "child soldier is bad mmkay? and we should help them" in cassette tapes.

and yet he talked about how he wanted to use 'taboo' elements for the story of MGS5.

Kudo

Witcher 3 might win it. I never understood the hate MGS 4 got, it was amazing.

I'll be disappointed if Bloodborne doesn't win it, none of the games this year have anything on it. (Maybe Persona 5?)
It's the only perfection this year, a masterpiece.

While The Witcher 3 and MGSV are nice, only W3 have chance to even compete depending on persons opinions, whether they like more book-like story or not. Personally I see nothing GOTY in MGSV, while it does gameplay lot better than Peace Walker thanks to it being full-fledged console/PC game, everything else falls short and they even didn't have time to add co-op.

Tales of Borderlands Ep 2 continues to be great.
Do you think Arkham Asylum is the best in the Arkham series because of "pacing" and "focus" despite of it being the worst in every way?

Asylum is a great game, but City is Rocksteady putting their all into making a game. It's jam packed with everything an Arkham game should be, and is the undisputably best in the series.

Undisputably.
You'll feel shame in your words and deeds. Or, at least, you should.

I didn't.

ArjanN

NOT A HERO just added steam achievements (don't think they're attainable yet, but you can see them on the store)

Which is just the incentive I needed to go back and perfect all the levels.

Tales of Borderlands Ep 2 continues to be great.

Asylum is a great game, but City is Rocksteady putting their all into making a game. It's jam packed with everything an Arkham game should be, and is the undisputably best in the series.

Undisputably.

You'll feel shame in your words and deeds. Or, at least, you should.

I didn't.

Honestly City is a bit too jam-packed, it improves on a lot of individual elements of Asylum, but it's also kind of all over the place, and it really didn't benefit that much from being more open world. When I first started it I was kind of annoyed at all the open world side-quest stuff that's yelling for your attention. (the constant banter by thugs on the streets/riddler trophies/ringing phones etc) There was also a bit of an overload of abilities and gadgets. I didn't really get into it until I went back some time later, unlike Asylum which grabbed me right from the start.

You guys are so mainstream, my most played game soon will be Fairy Fencer ... and not because how long it is, it isn't, but how incredibly painful 100%-it is. I wish someone told me this, before I invested this much time and funny part, I still am as far from 100% as if I only started.

This is why you always look at an achievement/trophy guide first, they almost always have some estimated time/difficulty rating for 100% completion.

Arthea

do you know what's on greenlight? Zero Punctuation: Hatfall - Hatters Gonna Hat Edition

since when zero punctuation does games?

This is why you always look at an achievement/trophy guide first, they almost always have some estimated time/difficulty rating for 100% completion.

I never look because you know... spoilers, I'm very touchy about spoilers.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Anyone happen to know how to turn off the mouse control for the touchpad for DS4Windows? I just want to use it as a start and select replacement like on the PS4.

Nabs

Anyone happen to know how to turn off the mouse control for the touchpad for DS4Windows? I just want to use it as a start and select replacement like on the PS4.

Edit the profile and uncheck the scroll/slide options. You can also use the touchpad swipes to do the same thing (and give you a few more hotkeys).

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Nvidia will fully support Async Compute with software drivers

Nvidia will fully support Asynchronous Shaders with its GPUs through the use of new software drivers. At current the feature is not fully implemented by the drivers, but Oxide Games are working with Nvidia to help them bring the needed support.

“We actually just chatted with Nvidia about Async Compute, indeed the driver hasn’t fully implemented it yet, but it appeared like it was,” said Oxide developer ‘Kollock’. “We are working closely with them as they fully implement Async Compute. We’ll keep everyone posted as we learn more.”

Nvidia’s issues with Async Computer were made apparent with the DirectX 12 benchmark for Oxide Games’ Ashes of the Singularity, where AMD Radeon GPUs performed significantly better than Nvidia’s. Oxide pinpointed the issue as being down to Asynchronous Shaders, one of DirectX’s new features.

Nvidia’s GTX 900 series graphics cards are capable of handling Async Compute, but right now the software just doesn’t support the feature. But with Oxide Games helping the graphics giant out, hopefully it shouldn’t be long before those Ashes of the Singularity benchmark tests start to look a little more even.

ArjanN

since when zero punctuation does games?

Since ages ago. He did several really good point and click horror games. They're free so I recommend giving them a try.

I never look because you know... spoilers, I'm very touchy about spoilers.

Well, if you really want to be remain 100% unspoiled you can always just beat the game by yourself first.

playstationtrophies and xboxachievments have a pretty convenient setup where they give an estimated time/difficulty rating for 100% completion right at the top of their guides, and also mention missable/multiplayer achievements.

If you're an achievement/trophy kind of guy it's pretty useful to at least give you an idea of the time investment required and if you can get everything in one playthrough etc.

Checking Xanadu thread made me think... wasn't Xanadu Next announced for steam or was it just a dream?

Hm, never heard of that. Would be nice, but I have a Vita so I'm covered either way, they just need to announce that they're bringing it over already.

Also, people need to be careful with the MGSV talk.

I was under the impression that this was an important aspect of the game's plot, so thanks for telling me in advance that it isn't, I guess.

So, Armello is amazing.

It's like Catan mixed with Magic the Gathering, Fluxx, Talisman and probably some others I'm leaving out (set in a Redwall environment)

4 different win conditions, unlockables, gorgeous art (animated cards to a diorama-ish view setting) Lots of ways to play and win strategy wise.

Supposedly cross play is in the works.
I'm keeping an eye on it, I visited the game hub but I saw that people are complaining about balance and the RNG

dex3108

Yeap Nvidia is getting lazy without strong AMD, and AMD doesn't even try anymore.

New record?

eVNTjfz.jpg

Arthea

Since ages ago. He did several really good point and click horror games.

really? I think I've never heard of it. Which games are those?

The latter.

aww

Yeap Nvidia is getting lazy without strong AMD, and AMD doesn't even try anymore.

New record?

http://i.imgur.com/eVNTjfz.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

considering AMD market share, I'm not sure they can afford to try anymore, a pity really

It has to be, last one was 9.8 mln if I remember it correctly

To Tizoc: have mercy, I'm working here not searching or googling.
Good to know it wasn't a dream after all.

Talking about googling, google shouldn't have changed their logo, they really shouldn't

Tizoc

Checking Xanadu thread made me think... wasn't Xanadu Next announced for steam or was it just a dream?

You weren't dreaming but you should really consider using Search & Google on GAF more :V
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963142&highlight=xanadu+next
Basically they registered domains for the games, 2 of them are already confirmed and their retail release is drawing near.
With Xanadu Next, it's either a surprise release or they'll have it out after...

Hm, never heard of that. Would be nice, but I have a Vita so I'm covered either way, they just need to announce that they're bringing it over already.

I've heard a lot of good things about Xanadu Next, at the very least it's among XSEED's future releases. ATM they're working on TITS SC and OG Corpse Party far as their PC releases go. Once one of those 2 gets cleared, Xanadu Next is likely to release afterwards.

Arthea

Well, if you really want to be remain 100% unspoiled you can always just beat the game by yourself first.

playstationtrophies and xboxachievments have a pretty convenient setup where they give an estimated time/difficulty rating for 100% completion right at the top of their guides, and also mention missable/multiplayer achievements.

If you're an achievement/trophy kind of guy it's pretty useful to at least give you an idea of the time investment required and if you can get everything in one playthrough etc.

That's what I do, I check after finishing a game if there is any need, but in this case there is no need, I can see how few of those achievements are plain sadistic. I finished a game twice now I'm not close of getting any of those. IF can be so mean sometimes, like no other dev probably.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You weren't dreaming but you should really consider using Search & Google on GAF more :V
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963142&highlight=xanadu+next
Basically they registered domains for the games, 2 of them are already confirmed and their retail release is drawing near.
With Xanadu Next, it's either a surprise release or they'll have it out after...

He asked if it had been announced for Steam, which a website registration doesn't offer any insight to.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Xanadu Next is a PC game, so it's safe to assume if it's coming, it's coming to steam.

Xanadu Next doesn't exist outside of a domain name, as far as we know. If your point is rather "The original Xanadu is first and foremost a PC game and Xseed released a game on Steam just a few months ago, so it's safe to assume a Xanadu sequel would come to Steam also", then fair point.

Tizoc

Xanadu Next is a PC game, so it's safe to assume if it's coming, it's coming to steam.

Technically there's no official announcement from XSEED, but with Trails of Cold Steel and Corpse Party Vita getting officially announced weeks ago and with them having pages on Amazon, it's safe to assume that Xanadu Next is next in line, but it's a matter of when.

Lain

It blows my mind that so many people on this site detest MGS4, it's the pinnacle of what I consider to be Metal Gear. It's incredible.

It's called vocal minority for a reason. They keep making noise trying to make you believe that's the majority opinion, but as has been proved twice, the majority of GAF denizens love MGS4.

Arthea

Xanadu Next doesn't exist outside of a domain name, as far as we know. If your point is rather "The original Xanadu is first and foremost a PC game and Xseed released a game on Steam just a few months ago, so it's safe to assume a Xanadu sequel would come to Steam also", then fair point.

nope, that wasn't my point, Next is not a sequel, it's spinoff, and it was created as a PC game, it even has fan translation (for PC), which I never tried to my shame. So if it's coming to us, it's safe to assume that it will be on steam, because that only makes sense and because Xseed is likely to do the job.

As for Dragon Slayer series itself, I'm not sure we'll ever get those games, them being old and all, while Next we could, probably.

Tizoc

All I remember about MGS4 is how it had more cutscenes than it has any right to, and that all those cutscenes get in the way of the pacing of the game. Like you could get through a part of the game in 10 minutes time, then you'd spend like 5 minutes skipping cutscenes :V

nope, that wasn't my point, Next is not a sequel, it's spinoff, and it was created as a PC game, it even has fan translation (for PC), which I never tried to my shame. So if it's coming to us, it's safe to assume that it will be on steam, because that's only makes sense and because Xseed is likely to do the job.

As for Dragon Slayer series itself, I'm not sure we'll ever get those games, them being old and all, while Next we could, probably.

I've been eyeing the Dragon Slayer collection, which is offer by the EGG service in Japan.
If GOG can somehow get those games onto gog, it'd be great, but that'd likely require going through some licensing or legal hooplas I worry.

ExoSoul

Banned
Ok, let's do this if anyone is interested.

Build a Paradox Bundle

War of the Vikings- BernardoOne
Crusader Kings 2 Rajas of India- BernardoOne
Crusader Kings 2 Charlemagne- BernardoOne
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Deluxier Edition- ExoSoul
-

Need two more people that are interested in one or two of the games of the promotion so we can all get the 90% discount and only get the title we are interested in.

Is this still going or have I missed the chance?

Majority of GAF also loves Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Also, people need to be careful with the MGSV talk.

I was under the impression that this was an important aspect of the game's plot, so thanks for telling me in advance that it isn't, I guess.
People get too sensitive over this game with extremely thin plot.

Tizoc

Majority of GAF also loves Dragon Age: Inquisition.

People get too sensitive over this game with extremely thin plot.

Honestly after MGS4, I don't think one should put much faith into any MGS story Kojima thinks up :V Particularly one that features a Horse Poop Button and the ability to Fulton sheep.
Also one where they use modern terminology and themes in 1970s-1980s settings.

ArjanN

really? I think I've never heard of it. Which games are those?

Here ya go:

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

5 Days A Stranger - A cat burglar breaks into a supposedly deserted country mansion, only to find himself imprisoned along with four strangers by a mysterious force. A nice nasty horror game with some murders and gore, with the distinction of being the... er... sixth complete game I've made with AGS.

7 Days A Skeptic - The sequel to 5 Days A Stranger. Four hundred years into the future, the scoutship Mephistopheles and its crew of six discovers something it should have left alone.

Trilby's Notes - the third game in the John DeFoe series (eventually a quadrilogy), which expands the storyline and connects 5 Days and 7 Days. Master thief turned paranormal investigator Trilby follows the trail of John DeFoe's soul idol to a small hotel in Wales, where he discovers the dark history of the cursed wood.

6 Days A Sacrifice - the long-awaited fourth and final game of the John DeFoe quadrilogy. It ties up all three previous episodes so don't even try understanding this game without playing through all the others first. Council inspector Theodore Dacabe is sent to investigate the headquarters of a fad religion and finds himself embroiled in the machinations of destiny.

ArjanN

It's called vocal minority for a reason. They keep making noise trying to make you believe that's the majority opinion, but as has been proved twice, the majority of GAF denizens love MGS4.

Nah, the game has huge pacing and plot issues, and it's probably the weakest of the mainline games. It's fine if you like the game despite those, because to be fair even at it's worst it's still an interesting train wreck just because of the production values and how crazy dumb it gets.

Arthea

Nah, the game has huge pacing and plot issues, and it's probably the weakest of the mainline games. It's fine if you like the game despite those, because to be fair even at it's worst it's still an interesting train wreck just because of the production values and how crazy dumb it gets.

you know your post makes no sense? It was proven twice that MGS4 is liked by majority on gaf alone, even more outside of gaf, that you don't like the game doesn't make it less popular than it is, because let's face it if Skyrim can be this popular, nothing should surprise us anymore and I mean nothing.
People on gaf like Gone Home fgs! what more proof do you need that people can like whatever the hell they wish to like and not necessary what's good, or close to perfect or better or superior, etc.

Since before practically anyone had heard of Zero Punctuation.

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

I never hear of or played any of those games, I probably shouldn't start now, seeing as I'm drowning in games I know about.

Tizoc

you know your post makes no sense? It was proven twice that MGS4 is liked by majority on gaf alone, even more outside of gaf, that you don't like the game doesn't make it less popular than it is, because let's face it if Skyrim can be this popular, nothing should surprise us anymore and I mean nothing.
People on gaf like Gone Home fgs! what more proof do you need that people can like whatever the hell they wish to like and not necessary what's good, or close to perfect or better or superior, etc.
Uh you sure read their post? They did say that it's fine to like the game, and even at it's worst, it's craziness is entertaining.

It also gave us the best Ocelot
tumblr_mamy9hxML71rb8fpgo1_500.gif

mgs4-giggle-o.gif

^Old man fights in a giant robot against another old man in a giant robot, then gestures 'til next time, bro!' after the battle ends

mgs4-invisible-guns-o.gif

mgs4_mountsnakemore.gif

Dude's gone even more senile than any old crazy man has any right to be

Hektor

Top 10 regret games you spent hours on:

1. TES
  2. Skyrim
  3. etc...
  4. ...

ftfy

Undisputably.

I liked all the other games more. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SHUT UP!
c30.gif

Arthea

Uh you sure read their post? They did say that it's fine to like the game, and even at it's worst, it's craziness is entertaining.

I was responding to nah, and the worst part, nah was direct answer to it being liked by majority at least that's how I understood it.

SHUT UP!
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/703/084/c30.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying you can't like it, it's still one of most boring and antifun games ever created, embrace it.

[quote="someguyinahat, post: 177826169"]But they're free...[/QUOTE]

but my free time isn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom