• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

I'm bad at MGSV. I just straight
rush into enemies, knock them out, and fulton them
. I was never good at the series.

You know when my little cousins booted up Infinity Blade 3 on my phone, they kept asking if it really is a game because the cutscenes kept playing.

Jawmuncher

untitled2bdpp3.png

Completion Impression/Review (Spoiler Free)
Just finished MGSV tonight, along with listening to all of the cassette tapes and watching the cut episode on youtube. First I want to say that gameplay wise, the game is a ton of fun. Earlier on I was just doing main missions and every side op that popped up. Never growing tired of it because of the multitude of ways to accomplish objectives. Who knew sandbox stealth could end up being so fun. Especially with the addition of buddies who have numerous functions during missions that add even more layers to how you get things done. There's also a few boss fights that work out pretty cool from the change, though it's a shame we didn't see more. Granted bosses have been on the decline since the 3rd game (Though 4 had 2 good ones). Nothing here would really top previous games, but they more than make up for Peace Walkers all mech fights. As for story, I like the tone kojima had on display here. He definitely went for something a tad darker, which was a nice change of pace to see from him. However because of the shift in story telling this time around, if you're a fan of how the games told their story prior you'll probably be a bit disappointed. Everything is far more serious in tone and since every main op isn't hugely story related, you'll get more downtime from cutscenes than you are accustomed to. Even more so if you are doing side ops like I was. Though the stuff that is there is very interesting to watch especially later on where things get even darker. Overall it's not the Metal Gear game I was really expecting in the story department (I expected far more fan service in terms of nods and characters through out the series), but it's still a really good game. For me and my love for the series I can't say it's better than the original 3 games. The gameplay is really good, but it just seems to miss the spark that those games had. I would still say it's my GOTY atm.

My ranking
MGS1>MGS2>MGS3>MGSV:TPP&GZ>MGS:pW>MGS4>MG2>MG1

Fun Fact: MGSV is my most played game on steam. 54 hours from a good chunk of side ops and main ops. I could have probably managed 30-40 hours if I did nothing but story mode and required side ops.

MUnited83

For you.
It blows my mind that so many people on this site detest MGS4, it's the pinnacle of what I consider to be Metal Gear. It's incredible.

You're goddamn right. Still my favorite game on the PS3, the best game in the series, great gameplay and amazing moments.
I completed the darn thing like more than 20 times. And that was before the trophy patch.

zkylon

zkylewd
personally i don't hate mgs4 but as someone that doesn't care abotu metal gear all that much outside of how happy it makes my brother, the fanservice did nothing for me and i really didn't enjoy the pacing and how the story overall panned out

like, i have a lot of trouble thinking of one thing i really liked about that game. i didn't actively hate it but it fell super flat in every possible way for me

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Life is Strange >The Witcher 3> Huniepop > Sakura Clicker > Ehhhh Shower With Your Dad > MGSV:TPP
0896a1ea7e.gif

killing everyone is the best way to stealth

no one can detect you when they're all dead

Well, this is me.

Fun Fact: MGSV is my most played game on steam. 54 hours from a good chunk of side ops and main ops. I could have probably managed 30-40 hours if I did nothing but story mode and required side ops.

That's.. interesting.
Currently, most played game on steam is ESO with 110 hours, and I think I've spent around 50 hours in GTA V. If my Witcher 3 copy is a steam version, it'll be my most played game. And if ANet can bring Guild Wars 2 to steam, there'll be no game that may beat my 600 hours in it.

witcha 3 should win something at least

So far, Witcher 3 is still at the top of my list.
I still have Fallout 4 and Persona 5 to judge for the rest of the year. Oh, and I hope I can play all of the episodes of Life is Strange this year and perhaps I'll put it on the list.

Jawmuncher

I jump around a lot when it comes to games, I can't really sit down and just continuously play one game for hundreds of hours.I beat something and move onto the next. It's a blessing and a curse.

Not sure what it says about either of us if your most played game on Steam is only 54 hours or if I have at least 7 games with more playtime... with my post played being ~9x more played than your top spot. ^_^

zkylon

zkylewd
my most played game is gamemaker studio at like 1.1k hours

tho i bet a ton of ppl have way more hours of doto (and i have like 3k of league)

also yea your longest being 54hrs prolly means u don't play many open world games

Shame Alpha Protocol has a checkpoint save system. Gameplay sorely is in need of manual saving. Trying stealthing it when the last douche flips the alarm just to replay the are again sucks balls.

But it's still a blast. Taiwan is a cool place.
I don't think the Legacy collection will ever come to anything but PS3, I can definitely see the HD collection coming to PC though. MGS4 just isn't going to get ported I don't think.
I think you're on to something... sadly :/ MGS4 with all its Sony/PS stuff will probably never get "edited" and Konami could give two shits about talking legalities with Sony. Shame as it is..
It blows my mind that so many people on this site detest MGS4, it's the pinnacle of what I consider to be Metal Gear. It's incredible.
..right on point again Dear Leader. I'm feeling good about you dog.
4 can live and die with the PS4. It's fine. 3 is all that matters.
When opinions are wrong!

dYINdoG.png

eh

Jawmuncher

my most played game is gamemaker studio at like 1.1k hours

tho i bet a ton of ppl have way more hours of doto (and i have like 3k of league)

also yea your longest being 54hrs prolly means u don't play many open world games

I don't really play a lot of anything in the way most people do. For example I beat skyrim in 6-7 hours and never went back. I usually only stick to main quests. Even witcher 3 I beat in about 30ish. There's just so much to play, that I don't like getting stuck to just one game.

I don't really play a lot of anything in the way most people do. For example I beat skyrim in 6-7 hours and never went back. I usually only stick to main quests. Even witcher 3 I beat in about 30ish. There's just so much to play, that I don't like getting stuck to just one game.

Crazy. I don't know how you have the willpower to focus like that. There's so much stuff that's great on the sidelines!

You'll have to try just enjoying a game one of these days, rather than being solely focused on 'completing' it. After all, there's more to a game than reaching the credits.

zkylon

zkylewd
that's weird

you're weird

Oh, are we doing lists?

Turfster loves lists.
i duno what's worse

doto or guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns

Crazy. I don't know how you have the willpower to focus like that. There's so much stuff that's great on the sidelines!

You'll have to try just enjoying a game one of these days, rather than being solely focused on 'completing' it. After all, there's more to a game than reaching the credits.

Definitely agree.
But I guess each person has its own play style. Like there are people who skip all the movies and cutscenes so they can play the game right away.

Oh, are we doing lists?

Turfster loves lists.

tl;dr : multiplayer games and mmos are time consuming indeed. :D

I miss the days when TF2 was fun... It's the only multiplayer shooter I've ever enjoyed.

w+m1 4ever, unless I can sidestab you.

Bah. Reinstalling TF2 once again to see if the magic is still there.
Definitely agree.
But I guess each person has its own play style. Like there are people who skip all the movies and cutscenes so they can play the game right away.
Yeah, of course. I don't know that I'll ever really get it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom