• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
I told you one year ago MGSHD won't be a thing, one year passed and still people think it will release in one year or so.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
apparently I missed South Park was delayed to 2017. Well thats a bummer :/

The problem with K-T (and some other japanese publishers) is, that they seemingly let their ports be developed by other teams time and time again.

Why does Arslan have a good port, while the bigger anime that also had mainstream appeal Attack on Titan gets a so-so- port. That doesnt make any sense at all.
Why didnt K-T fix their One Piece port. That game is broken, since the graphical options dont work and while the game actually is the PS4 version as it seems, you cant play it, because the graphical options are stuck at the lowest ones, no matter what you do, so you have a game that is a mix between the Vita and PS3 version.
Why arent they porting Atelier games, when they can see that there is a market for such games on Steam by checking out other JRPG sales.

Wok

If you are a Steam dinosaur like me, you might remember seeing Momonga pinball on Greenlight.

I remember that it was one of the first Greenlight games that I upvoted. It took them 4 years.

Another notable release of the day is Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor, which is a game in which you can pray to try to get luckier.

Nominated at IndieCade.

The problem with K-T (and some other japanese publishers) is, that they seemingly let their ports be developed by other teams time and time again.

Why does Arslan have a good port, while the bigger anime that also had mainstream appeal Attack on Titan gets a so-so- port. That doesnt make any sense at all.
Why didnt K-T fix their One Piece port. That game is broken, since the graphical options dont work and while the game actually is the PS4 version as it seems, you cant play it, because the graphical options are stuck at the lowest ones, no matter what you do, so you have a game that is a mix between the Vita and PS3 version.
Why arent they porting Atelier games, when they can see that there is a market for such games on Steam by checking out other JRPG sales.

The problem is these companies are silly and Japan focused. But when smallest japanese companies embrace Steam, you have to question these companies even more.

Ascheroth

The problem is these companies are silly and Japan focused. But when smallest japanese companies embrace Steam, you have to question these companies even more.

I imagine smaller japanese companies are just more flexible as there's probably less bureaucratic bullshit involved.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Didn't know Steam vs GOG version of games had disparity, like GOG versions not getting certain content.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Dungeon Defenders Alien Spectre DLC -- MB-0FD7A6AFA9FE0A52

Grief.exe

I told you one year ago MGSHD won't be a thing, one year passed and still people think it will release in one year or so.

So you're always right until it's announced?

The fact of the matter is, there is a high percentage chance of seeing an MGS HD/Legacy port. It aligns well with Konami, and other Japanese publishers, current strategies for high margin, low risk investments going forward with this shaky market.

Not particularly.

Capcom farms out their ports to Qloc, and by and large this works out well. Their internal teams can focus on upcoming projects and Qloc is very well specialized in taking old games and porting to new platforms, which can dodge some development shortfalls.

Ludens

Banned

The fact of the matter is, there is a high percentage chance of seeing an MGS HD/Legacy port. It aligns well with Konami, and other Japanese publishers, current strategies for high margin, low risk investments going forward with this shaky market.

No I'm not always right until it's announced. I did a detailed post the last year wirint how it's very hard to see a port of all MGS on Pc or other non-Sony platforms (if you want search for it).
Releasing a whole collection in HD, with (probably) better textures and cut out content it's very unlikely. If that would happen, it was when MGSV needs to be released, or just after it, in oder to use the hype.
It's not like releasing Suikoden on PSN or a bunch of old arcade games on PS4.

Tizoc

Not particularly.

Capcom farms out their ports to Qloc, and by and large this works out well. Their internal teams can focus on upcoming projects and Qloc is very well specialized in taking old games and porting to new platforms, which can dodge some development shortfalls.

Speaking of QLOC-
https://twitter.com/AHM7777/status/770554435147862016

It may not yield any results, but it's the least one can do. Berserk, much like DQ Heroes, deserves a good competent PC port.

Didn't know Steam vs GOG version of games had disparity, like GOG versions not getting certain content.

The only time that seems to happen is when the game uses steam for a function. That function is left out on the gog version as it doesn't have a comparable system in place. Such as multiplayer.

fantomena

Just because it makes all the sense in the world doesn't mean it will happen. It sounds easy and logical, but for the companies, it might not be.

I imagine smaller japanese companies are just more flexible as there's probably less bureaucratic bullshit involved.

Which I feel might be the problem with Atlus. I'm sure they are not oblivious to steam (since they publish smaller games on it) and might see some potential for some of their games to find an audience on there, but there are higher ups who probably don't see that at all and will continue to stick to consoles since it works best for them. Atlus USA and SEGA Europe could try and convince the higher ups but it would probably be a very long process.

Grief.exe

No I'm not always right until it's announced. I did a detailed post the last year wirint how it's very hard to see a port of all MGS on Pc or other non-Sony platforms (if you want search for it).
Releasing a whole collection in HD, with (probably) better textures and cut out content it's very unlikely. If that would happen, it was when MGSV needs to be released, or just after it, in oder to use the hype.
It's not like releasing Suikoden on PSN or a bunch of old arcade games on PS4.

Can you link me to this? I don't see how you can legitimately justify these opinions.

There's literally already an HD collection available on non-Sony platforms currently, unless you are solely referring to a potential Legacy Collection. Which is possible due to the inclusion of MGSIV, but I already accounted for that possibility by separating the HD Collection and Legacy collection connotations.

Ludens

Banned
Can you link me to this? I don't see how you can legitimately justify these opinions.

Just use the search function, can't do it right now.
A summary is: both MGS1 and MGS4 are heavily binded to some Sony's hardware references in game. If you want to make a port, you need to strip out those things. It's not really simple considering how they are implemented.
If you want the simple HD collection, what's the point, why asking for that? You get MGS 2-3 and Peace Walker (I doubt they will give PC players MGS1 since it wasn't on Xbox 360 too), and you would still miss MGS4 which is one of the most important piece of the saga.

Didn't the collection that's on non-Sony plattforms not inlude MGS4? Cause I could have see the MGS1-3 HD Collection on PC, but not with 4.
There are two collections. HD Collection, aka MGS2-3-PW and Legacy, MGS1-2-3-4-PW plus comic books.

fantomena

Just use the search function, can't do it right now.
A summary is: both MGS1 and MGS4 are heavily binded to some Sony's hardware references in game. If you want to make a port, you need to strip out those things. It's not really simple considering how they are implemented.

Didn't the collection that's on non-Sony plattforms not inlude MGS4? Cause I could have see the MGS1-3 HD Collection on PC, but not with 4.

Wok

Anyone end up checking out Rive? I'm tempted to get it and take a look at it this weekend.

From what I have read and watched, the game is good, with levels with and without gravity to vary the gameplay. It plays a bit like Ghost 1.0, with nice story telling and humor. Some reviewers found it super hard, but this was due to Gsync making the game run too fast, and this was fixed.

From what I have read and watched, the game is good, with levels with and without gravity to vary the gameplay. It plays a bit like Ghost 1.0, with nice story telling and humor. Some reviewers found it super hard, but this was due to Gsync making the game run too fast, and this was fixed.

It's actually really hard even without the Gsync bug (there are some specific sections that throw EVERYTHING at you, and you must also outrun lava or some other instakill hazard, so you end up repeating the same section over and over again until you know what's ahead and you can beat it) The game feels good though, the story is funny, and it looks absolutely stunning.

I wouldn't recommend it to people who are easily frustrated.

Ozium

Kagari wasn't so sure though.

1baD5oj.jpg

Corpekata

Banned
Has there been actual proof about the MGS1 and 4 being locked by Sony technology or has it always been fan wankery? I've seen those exact same things said about various Final Fantasies like X as to why X HD would never come to PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom