• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Are there plans for the others coming to Steam anyway? Seems a bit odd that the 2nd in the series would be first? Then again I believe it's the most famous one though?

It's not a series in the DA:O, DA2, DA:I sense.
It's more of a It/Stand/Dark Tower connection. Same universe, but each game is a standalone.
(Well, obviously Chaos;Child is a sequel to Chaos;Head and Steins;Zero a sequel to Steins;Gate, but you know what I'm talking about, right?)

dex3108

Ohh it looks like that somebody from Insomniac answered in that Sunset Overdrive thread saying "We would love it to be on PC". There is hope :D

Grief.exe

I remember seeing magazine adds for that.
I never forget a pair of... ears like that.

250px-Silverfall.jpg

On Steam.

She has a stone age thong

In case you overlooked the release of that cute 2D environmental puzzle/walking simulator, there is an OT for Seasons After Fall. The game runs like a charm at 60+ fps.

I'm a sucker for the hand painted art style.

Ohh it looks like that somebody from Insomniac answered in that Sunset Overdrive thread saying "We would love it to be on PC". There is hope :D

It's surprising they haven't as it looked like a similar situation to other third party releases that were merely temporary exclusives.

chronomac

Monthly extras
ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Banner Saga -- MB-8079CDC0087BEF5D - Taken by gurm3n. 4 entrants total.
Town of Salem -- MB-172D3B67656802C7 - Taken by Natty1. 1 entrants total.

t1472939107z1.png

Anustart

Steam GAF, need some help. Me and my wife's 1 year anniversary is tonight, we're going out and doing some special stuff then coming home. She loves spending time with me and doing what I love, video games, if they interest her.

We enjoyed Firewatch, Life is Strange, and Wolf Among Us together and I'd like to get something else for us to go through tonight if possible. Any recommendations?

Message me on steam if you don't mind, might not be able to read all the replies when we get home. Anustart on steam if you're not already my friend. Level 27, Jerri Blank avatar. HELP ME GAF, YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE!

P.S. Based on what she's liked previously, is Kentucky Route Zero something decent?

dex3108

Steam GAF, need some help. Me and my wife's 1 year anniversary is tonight, we're going out and doing some special stuff then coming home. She loves spending time with me and doing what I love, video games, if they interest her.

We enjoyed Firewatch, Life is Strange, and Wolf Among Us together and I'd like to get something else for us to go through tonight if possible. Any recommendations?

Message me on steam if you don't mind, might not be able to read all the replies when we get home. Anustart on steam if you're not already my friend. Level 27, Jerri Blank avatar. HELP ME GAF, YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE!

P.S. Based on what she's liked previously, is Kentucky Route Zero something decent?

Kentucky Route Zero is not finished yet (one more chapter needs to be released). Maybe Oxenfree would fit. Also congrats :D

Congrats. Tales from the Borderlands.

kagamin

How are the PSP ones? Should I bother?

They're pretty much the same as the xbox 360 game before it (Idolmaster 1) with the addition of a new storyline and you can only produce one idol at a time and no duos or trios, you can also play Free mode which is the traditional arcade style 52 weeks to produce and whatnot. In short they offer the same great gameplay with some streamlining to fit on a handheld, its worth your time for sure though.

ABZU, Obduction?

Oxenfree, maybe?

Tenrius

Yes, absolutely! Do play Kentucky Route Zero and don't let the fact that the final act isn't out yet discourage you — it's still better than most modern games.

beltreisawesome.gif

AHA-Lambda

It's not a series in the DA:O, DA2, DA:I sense.
It's more of a It/Stand/Dark Tower connection. Same universe, but each game is a standalone.
(Well, obviously Chaos;Child is a sequel to Chaos;Head and Steins;Zero a sequel to Steins;Gate, but you know what I'm talking about, right?)

Gotcha :)

Are there plans for the others to be released?

Anustart

If it makes it any easier to narrow down, she also played by herself, to completion, Loom and Monkey Island.

Hows the monkey island sequels?

So far best thing I'd bet on is tales from the borderlands. She generally likes telltale games, and matches up with me when they miss a step. We both drudged through Game Of Thrones and weren't impressed with walking dead season 2.

For my anniversary, can anyone convince TellTale to give me a playable demo of Wolf Among Us 2?

Edit: You won't know it, but the first person who recommends the game I end up getting, gets a game gifted to them by me, by my choosing. Hope your tastes align with mine!

Mivey

If it makes it any easier to narrow down, she also played by herself, to completion, Loom and Monkey Island.

Monkey Island 2 - Best adventure game of all time (warning: possibly biased)
Monkey Island 3 - It has a few funny scenes I guess?

Tales of Monkey Island - Nice fanfic.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

It's not finished yet, but has some of the strongest writing around. If you do decide to go in now, be sure to check out the three intermission acts:

Limits & Demonstrations (Between Act I and Act II)
The Entertainment (Between Act II and Act III)
Here And There Along The Echo (Between Act III and Act IV)

Each one adds about 15-50 minutes, provides additional world building, establishes themes and introduces characters central to the next act. They also experiment a bit with presentation. KR0 itself is a point and click game, but The Entertainment is a stage play viewed in the first person. You won't want to miss em!

So far best thing I'd bet on is tales from the borderlands. She generally likes telltale games, and matches up with me when they miss a step. We both drudged through Game Of Thrones and weren't impressed with walking dead season 2.

For my anniversary, can anyone convince TellTale to give me a playable demo of Wolf Among Us 2?

Edit: You won't know it, but the first person who recommends the game I end up getting, gets a game gifted to them by me, by my choosing. Hope your tastes align with mine!
The Yawhg is a choose your own adventure game and you can each have a character and pass the controller. Read everything aloud for betterment.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am reasonably certain somewhere between 8,000 and 12,000 HTC Vive units are being sold per month right now.

Evidence:
- First, let's look at the top selling VR titles on Steam: Tilt Brush is estimated at 125,000 units sold. Job Simulator around 100,000. Fantastic Contraption 115,000. Now, I have no idea what percentage of those are Oculus owners, but what I do know is that all three of these games were bundled with the Vive for free at one point or another. I believe Tilt Brush has been free with the Vive the entire time. The Lab, which is a free app for Valve's VR demos, is around 275,000--we can infer that the true number of Vive sales is lower than that. I would guess we're around 130,000-150,000 Vive units total. So we have an approximate bound for upper sales limit. Vive has been out for 5 months, give or take, so that's 25,000 a month, but we would expect the sales to be a curve with more sales near launch and fewer sales now, maybe give or take a bit for availability. There have not been any price drops, so no reason to believe there'd be any particular spike.

- The Gallery Episode 1: Call of the Starseed is a VR game that launched April 5th--same day as the Vive. It only supports Vive, not Oculus. On August 11th, SteamSpy estimated it around 20,000 copies sold. That's 4 months into release, so we can reasonably assume that sales have slowed.

- August 12th, Valve begins packing the Gallery Episode 1: Call of the Starseed with every new Vive for free. It is possible that some Vive owners did not redeem their free games. It is also possible that some non-Vive owners bought the game despite it requiring a Vive. It is also possible that previous Vive owners that did not own the game would buy it after this point. But we can assume that most of the sales growth since then is tracking new Vive units.

- Today, SteamSpy estimates The Gallery Episode 1 at around 28,000 units sold. This suggests that in the last 3-ish weeks, there have been 8,000 new activations. Assume that this is between 5,000 and 15,000 new Vives--5,000 if a lot of sales are from legacy people, which is too generous of an assumption for The Gallery, and 15,000 if few Vive owners activate their free games, which is too generous of an assumption for the Vive.

- Extrapolate to a month, and I would guess the more reasonable range is sorta 8,000-12,000-ish units.

I've been poking at Oculus leaderboards for a while to try to extrapolate software sales from them but don't have much fruitful yet.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Steam -> Games tagged VR -> Go through list and isolate games that have the "Requires a VR headset" disclaimer -> Sort sales -> Drop everything below 30,000-ish

Code:
The Lab (free)			275,000
Surgeon Simulator VR (free)	190,000
Heaven Island Life(***)		170,000 * Think they added the requirement later, so this is phony-ish
Tilt Brush (free w/ purch)	130,000
IKEA VR (free)			120,000
Fantastic Contraction (free w/)	115,000
Realities (free+rift)		105,000
nVidia VR Funhouse (free)	95,000
Bigscreen (free+rift)		85,000
Space Pirate Trainer		80,000
The Cubicle (free)		80,000
Waltz of the Wizard		75,000
Trials on Tatooine (free)	75,000
Audioshield			70,000
Irrational Exuberance (free)	60,000
Portal Stories VR (free)	60,000
Rec Room			60,000
Spell Fighter VR (free)		55,000
Destinations (free)		55,000
Water Bears VR (was free)	55,000
Pitch-Hit (free)		50,000
The Rose and I (free)		50,000
Altspace VR (free+rift)		50,000
Abbot's Book (free)		50,000
Vanishing Realms		50,000
VR Skeet Shooting (free)	50,000
The Divergent Series (free)	50,000
theBlu				45,000
Disney Movies VR (free)		40,000
ABE VR (free)			40,000
Surge (free)			40,000
SurrealVR (free+rift)		40,000
Eclipse (free)			35,000
Hover Junkers			35,000
Holopoint			35,000
Final Approach			35,000
Rexodus: A VR Story Exp (free)	35,000
Raw Data			30,000
The Night Cafe (free+rift)	30,000
The Foo Show (free)		30,000
Pool Nation VR			30,000
ZenBlade			30,000
Vrideo (free)			30,000-ish
PaintLab (free)			30,000-ish
The Gallery (free w/ purch)	30,000-ish
ModBox				30,000-ish
Poly Runner VR (free)		30,000-ish

Results: Most of the games people are interested in are free. Most of the good stuff that costs money can expect to sell 30,000-50,000 copies. A small number of titles break out. The upper limit is just above 100k. Rift support probably helps you a little bit but there's no systemic pattern.

Note that I have no idea how many of these ACTUALLY require VR versus just claim to require VR. Also, I don't own a VR headset but I own a few of these so obviously there have been some turd bundles with VR games.

yoshizzle

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (yoshizzle, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

SUPERFIGHT -- MB-9EC1854D6A429C4A - Taken by longlivegaming. 3 entrants total.

t1472950033z1.png

Steam -> Games tagged VR -> Go through list and isolate games that have the "Requires a VR headset" disclaimer -> Sort sales -> Drop everything below 30,000-ish

Code:
The Lab (free)			275,000
Surgeon Simulator VR (free)	190,000
Heaven Island Life(***)		170,000 * Think they added the requirement later, so this is phony-ish
Tilt Brush (free w/ purch)	130,000
IKEA VR (free)			120,000
Fantastic Contraction (free w/)	115,000
Realities (free+rift)		105,000
nVidia VR Funhouse (free)	95,000
Bigscreen (free+rift)		85,000
Space Pirate Trainer		80,000
The Cubicle (free)		80,000
Waltz of the Wizard		75,000
Trials on Tatooine (free)	75,000
Audioshield			70,000
Irrational Exuberance (free)	60,000
Portal Stories VR (free)	60,000
Rec Room			60,000
Spell Fighter VR (free)		55,000
Destinations (free)		55,000
Water Bears VR (was free)	55,000
Pitch-Hit (free)		50,000
The Rose and I (free)		50,000
Altspace VR (free+rift)		50,000
Abbot's Book (free)		50,000
Vanishing Realms		50,000
VR Skeet Shooting (free)	50,000
The Divergent Series (free)	50,000
theBlu				45,000
Disney Movies VR (free)		40,000
ABE VR (free)			40,000
Surge (free)			40,000
SurrealVR (free+rift)		40,000
Eclipse (free)			35,000
Hover Junkers			35,000
Holopoint			35,000
Final Approach			35,000
Rexodus: A VR Story Exp (free)	35,000
Raw Data			30,000
The Night Cafe (free+rift)	30,000
The Foo Show (free)		30,000
Pool Nation VR			30,000
ZenBlade			30,000
Vrideo (free)			30,000-ish
PaintLab (free)			30,000-ish
The Gallery (free w/ purch)	30,000-ish
ModBox				30,000-ish
Poly Runner VR (free)		30,000-ish

Results: Most of the games people are interested in are free. Most of the good stuff that costs money can expect to sell 30,000-50,000 copies. A small number of titles break out. The upper limit is just above 100k. Rift support probably helps you a little bit but there's no systemic pattern.

Note that I have no idea how many of these ACTUALLY require VR versus just claim to require VR. Also, I don't own a VR headset but I own a few of these so obviously there have been some turd bundles with VR games.

Having a VR headset its not surprising. A lot of VR titles now are priced as a premium experience.
Like while Apollo 11 is cool, 15$ for a 1 hour experience are too much.
And you have more than just that. While The Assembly is a really great game, 20€ for about 2-3 hours are also too much for most people.
Or The Gallery Episode 1 30$.

Just because I have a PC with a Oculus/Vive doesnt mean that I am more willing to spend more money on experiences just because they are in VR. VR is great and imo the future, but I personally wouldnt want to spend more money to have a game in VR.

Then also lately you have a huge influx of shovelware/Unity games that seem like the Digital Homicide games, just with VR added.

I've been playing Monster and Monocles (key was provided by one of the developers in the indie thread) and enjoying it a lot. The game is still in early access but the core gameplay is already present on the current version and it's solid though I have some minor issues with the game but I hope they are going to be sorted once the game leave early access.

So the game is a twin stick shooter roguelite with local and on-line multiplayer supporting up to 4 players but I still haven't tried multiplayer. So far in the game there are four characters to choose from not sure if more will be unlocked or even if the developer plans to add more to the game, I didn't notice any gameplay difference between the ones I played with. I feel the amount of weapons is kind of lacking and the way the upgrades works is a bit obtuse, like some items may occupy a slot but others don't and they just increase your stats. Still talking about the relics it's interesting that they don't offer only bonus to your character but will also bring a negative effect to it, like one of the relics that make your weapon reach far distances but will lessen the rate of fire.

The game also doesn't have keyboard prompts, it only shows the buttons for the Xbox controller but since it's still in early access most likely will be addressed once the game releases. The point that did stand out for me was the music in the levels, it's seriously good.

lol

I am reasonably certain somewhere between 8,000 and 12,000 HTC Vive units are being sold per month right now.

Evidence:
- First, let's look at the top selling VR titles on Steam: Tilt Brush is estimated at 125,000 units sold. Job Simulator around 100,000. Fantastic Contraption 115,000. Now, I have no idea what percentage of those are Oculus owners, but what I do know is that all three of these games were bundled with the Vive for free at one point or another. I believe Tilt Brush has been free with the Vive the entire time. The Lab, which is a free app for Valve's VR demos, is around 275,000--we can infer that the true number of Vive sales is lower than that. I would guess we're around 130,000-150,000 Vive units total. So we have an approximate bound for upper sales limit. Vive has been out for 5 months, give or take, so that's 25,000 a month, but we would expect the sales to be a curve with more sales near launch and fewer sales now, maybe give or take a bit for availability. There have not been any price drops, so no reason to believe there'd be any particular spike.

- The Gallery Episode 1: Call of the Starseed is a VR game that launched April 5th--same day as the Vive. It only supports Vive, not Oculus. On August 11th, SteamSpy estimated it around 20,000 copies sold. That's 4 months into release, so we can reasonably assume that sales have slowed.

- August 12th, Valve begins packing the Gallery Episode 1: Call of the Starseed with every new Vive for free. It is possible that some Vive owners did not redeem their free games. It is also possible that some non-Vive owners bought the game despite it requiring a Vive. It is also possible that previous Vive owners that did not own the game would buy it after this point. But we can assume that most of the sales growth since then is tracking new Vive units.

- Today, SteamSpy estimates The Gallery Episode 1 at around 28,000 units sold. This suggests that in the last 3-ish weeks, there have been 8,000 new activations. Assume that this is between 5,000 and 15,000 new Vives--5,000 if a lot of sales are from legacy people, which is too generous of an assumption for The Gallery, and 15,000 if few Vive owners activate their free games, which is too generous of an assumption for the Vive.

- Extrapolate to a month, and I would guess the more reasonable range is sorta 8,000-12,000-ish units.

I've been poking at Oculus leaderboards for a while to try to extrapolate software sales from them but don't have much fruitful yet.

Interesting analysis Stump.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Since she has played some Lucasarts oldies I would definitely recommend Monkey Island 2/3, The Dig and Grim Fandango. The Dig and GF have some overly hard puzzle design but the stories are worth experiencing even if you are using a guide to smooth out the gameplay experience.

Oxenfree is also a great story focused experience.

While not adventure games both Limbo and Inside are puzzle-y cinematic platformers that would actually work well as sitting on the couch together experiences.

neonglow

If you like walking simulators like Firewatch, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a good one. It's a great looking game with a good murder mystery storyline. You can complete the game in 4 hours if you want something short.

Corpekata

Banned
Wow Inferno Climber is Dark Souls as fuck.

Though given the art style and slightly more button mashing friendly attacks, it might be like if someone made Salt and Sanctuary in 3D, so far at least.

Mafia III, Battlefield 1, and Watch Dogs 2 are the games I'm wanting to get over October and November...I'm hoping some deals come along for the Deluxe Versions of those

anything else I'd pick up would just be stuff on a deep discount or bundles

Mafia III, Battlefield 1, and Watch Dogs 2 are the games I'm wanting to get over October and November...I'm hoping some deals come along for the Deluxe Versions of those

anything else I'd pick up would just be stuff on a deep discount or bundles
No Dishonored 2? Shame.

I'm not willing to join BF1's DLC-fest.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gonna 3 way BF1 with my baby bros since I really only want to play the campaign. Origin ghetto family sharing stay winning. It's foolproof since the chance of me logging into my account while one of my brothers is using it is like 0.00023%.

Jawmuncher

Gonna 3 way BF1 with my baby bros since I really only want to play the campaign. Origin ghetto family sharing stay winning. It's foolproof since the chance of me logging into my account while one of my brothers is using it is like 0.00023%.

Hoping dice finally make a worthwhile campaign. That's one thing cod has been able to hold above them, even on their weaker games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom